Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
AmandaArcana

Cykranoshian Catnip

CYKRANOSHIAN CATNIP PERFUME OIL
Nepeta zhothaqquah
This Saturnian herb possesses a deep mossy scent that, when crushed, emits a vapor redolent of woody oranges.

In the bottle: very clean and fresh, I get the oranges with something green...the moss? Kinda reminds me of fancy shampoo.

On me: woody oranges, catnip, mint, and sunblock (?). Very summery to me.

I'm more of a foody person so I'm really not good at "fresh scents".

This reminds me of a lot less orange version of Knick-Knack.

In the bottle, i was really excited. It's dusty/mossy tree bark with a spicy-orange kind of smell.

On my skin, I'm not very aware of the orange at all. It's very cedar-y. Spicy wood, warm, still a little dusty-mossy-barky. But oranges? They're booking it out the back, high-tailing for the hills and I'm not sure they'll come back.

This might be a very good scent for a guy. But, it's different enough and pleasant enough that I'm not going to put it out to swap anytime soon.

This is indeed very woody; one of the few BPAL woods that doesn't smell like a pile of pencil shavings to me. :) The herbs are very prominent as well, but they lack the astringent tanginess I've come to expect; I think that's the sweetness of the orange cutting them, though, as I can barely detect that at all.

It's not a very naturalistic scent, but the vibe I get is a forest in late summer/early fall; the air's still warm and there's still a few things blooming, but the undergrowth is starting to mulch. This scent isn't at all what I was expecting it to be like, but it's very pleasant. I'd put it just a hair past unisex into masculine; I think it's going to end up being a touch too butch for me, but it's one of the most unusual BPALs I've ever sampled.

This seriously does smell ike catnip in the bottle, my cat was sniffing around trying to figure out where the catnip smell was coming from. oO On my skin, it's a woody catnip with a bright blast of orange. We'll see what this does, but my gut tells me it's not my thing. Turns into herby mossy orange. Really not my thing, sadly.

Edited by Venneh

Wow, this was zippy sweet spice to me. Just a little something with the spice that made me think of radioactive glowing green.

Definitely picking up a woody scent, but the sweetness is delicate but well balanced with the catnip spice. Maybe just a tiny burn from the citrus, but it's not overpowering.

I surprisingly like it a lot more than I thought I would.

This scent was so weird on me. Strange sharp herbally smell- catnip! I don't smell any orange. This drys down powdery on me. Like old lady stinky powdery. I had to wash this one off. Not 4 me.

In bottle: It's orange with something dark in the background that I can't really pick out

Wet: Less orange but something musky appears

Dry: This smells like moldy oranges. :((

I knew I had to try this when I saw "woody oranges" in the description, as one of my favorite books (Waking The Moon by Elizabeth Hand) has a main character who always smells like "sandalwood and oranges" and I love trying blends with wood/citrus notes for that reason. The citrus here is fresh and zesty and doesn't fade too quickly like orange sometimes can. The catnip comes out more as this dries and gives the deep wood note a nice herbal quality. Underneath it all there's a dark moss note grounding everything. I really love this! Beautiful.

I don't get my skin chemistry sometimes. Orange has been one of my favorite go-to scents this summer. So, I wanted dry oranges from Cykranoshian Catnip, but got sour roses. :evil:

When I opened the bottle on this, I immediately had one of those "I know you" moments. It took me a while to place it, but this smells almost exactly like R.M. Renfield on me. It's like a warmer version of R.M. Renfield, but I get the same dry, slightly sour moss that goes a bit salty in the drydown, with a hint of dry citrus. It smells like rocks baked in the summer heat, covered in silvery-green, flat, hard, dry moss.

Hot, dry, and heavy on the moss. If you like Bayou, this is like a dry version of Bayou.

Source: decant by Edens Sixth Day

When this first goes on, it's all about the herbs and moss - they're quite strong and very organic-smelling. Ten minutes in, and they've gone to the background - now I have a really beautiful orange. This actually reminds me of the way my house smells when I've given all my wood cabinets a once-over with orange oil - that mix of wood and orange is lovely.. not sweet, just very natural and fresh.

As time goes by, the orange mellows out - now I can smell the moss again but the wood is still there too. I'm really enjoying this blend - the orange stays present but doesn't go fake or candy-ish at all, it retains that very natural/real fragrance, and all the other notes are working well together. It's my favourite of all the Underworld blends!

EDIT - I had to update just to say.. four hours later it turned to.. soap. damnit :(

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I have been dreaming of a BPAL catnip scent for a long time, and I was overjoyed to see this one go up on BPTP-- it was literally a dream come true. Then I read that it had "orange" in it and almost cried. I HATE orange.. the smell, the color, even the taste pretty often. Especially the smell in perfume, it doesn't seem to mix well with other notes in a blend in my opinion. But I ordered a decant anyway.

Well thank god I did! This is WONDERFUL! it smells just like this salt scrub for the bath that I picked up in Prague a couple years ago-- it's mossy, and sandalwoody, and I guess that's "orange" but it doesnt really smell like "oranges" This blend is light, warm, dry, very slightly spicy, and very slightly sweet. It's like beautiful dry grasses warmed in the sun and crushed under foot. I adore it! I will order at least 3 bottles and bath in it!

Thank you lab for a wonderful catnip blend! :wub2:

When I opened the bottle on this, I immediately had one of those "I know you" moments.

I had that moment too, only for me I thought it smelled like Rat from the Wind in the Willows series. But I don't still have Rat to compare, so I could be misremembering.

At any rate this is mossy masculine and a tad cologne. I get moss, wood, and not too much else. I don't get much if any orange, really. Maybe a faint hint of dry rind. I don't smell catnip, either; I grow that on my back deck and am always crushing leaves of it for my cats, and that catnip smells like a mellower more herbal mint [catnip is in the mint family of course]. I don't get that smell out of this. As it dries down it becomes salty, which is something I've noticed about moss/oakmoss on my skin. I don't mind this scent, and I enjoy the wood, but ultimately it is a little more in the cologne territory than what I prefer to wear. I like masculine, but not cologney masculine.

This is straight up my mother's potpourri on me. Woodsy, orange-y, a little spicy, and a bit powdery. The potpourri that we had in the hallway from the time I was eight until I left the house. Once it has dried down for a while, it's like someone spritzed some cologne on my mother's potpourri. Still mostly my mother's potpourri, but a wee bit of classic men's cologne back there.

Probably delightful for many, but I just don't want to wander about smelling like that potpourri. Perhaps I'll give the imp to my mother...

A slightly dusty herb with some wood tones to it. Something about the herb creeps up the nose in an almost evil way.

:::CYKRONASHIAN CATNIP:::

34517_143369955677689_100000140550736_448772_7277295_s.jpg

This one arrived in the post on the close end of light-speed... Thanks a billion, Puddin'!

There is always a thrill that evokes tippy-toeing and impish facial expressions when one of these lovely parcels donning that orange BPAL sello-tape materializes in the box!

The artwork on the label of Cykronashian Catnip is dizzying.

Footballery aside (Any bets the cephalopod picked this one?), this brought an onslaught of adrenaline because of newfangled Lovecraftian connotations! Whee!

From the bottle: What a handsome devil of a fragrance this is! A batch of something apothecarious, er, medicinal vigorously mixed and presented in an Oaky, wooden bottle.

Old-timey.

Barber-shoppy.

Well-scrubbed, neatly parted, waxed, powdered, starched, affably fortified tonic.

Elixir of the sensibly dapper.

Dashing!

On the Skin: Kablam! Olfactory palpation!

Here, it works almost exactly as described... Deep Mossiness, Woody Oranges.

Superb!

Cykronashian Catnip is an illuminated fragrance.

Cykronashian Catnip strobes forth into the ether like an aquamarine tinted Christmas Gaslight.

This shares some properties with Phoenix Steamworks' Aleopile, but without the metallic contraption glintiness.

Cykronashian Catnip is far more... Organic.

Eco-friendly, but more in the way of whatever the extraterrestrial equivalent word for it would be.

The passing of "Mama-Wuss" has left an aching void where life would ordinarily iclude a feline matriarch, so there have been no kitties to test the Catnip hypothesis with... But this is good since there is little time for wrists being pwned and mated. The glorious smell will have to do!

On Him, this is classy in a randy-scoundrel sort of way.

On Her, Cykronashian Catnip is Purrfect.

Buy some now!

5 out of 5!

This perfume, on me, at first smelled of cedar, moss, and those small dark shiny oranges that you see growing by the side of the road, surrounded by glossy green leaves. The ones you can't quite bring yourself to pick because they might secretly belong to someone else, someone who might take a shotgun to you if you stole their oranges. The someone who may or may not be watching you from that broken-down shack some twenty yards away.

After an hour or so, the oranges vanished, turning this into a soft, somehow surreal woody scent, like a Disney forest. No, this is what Disney's Beast would smell like, slightly furry and woody and masculine, but with a touch of green freshness.

A couple of hours after that, it smells like a very old chest of drawers that was polished a few weeks prior with orange oil. Not a strong orange scent, just a lingering note over aged wood and vague mothballs. That is to say, the drydown is my least favorite part of this scent. XD

I really like this, but I don't like it on -me-, which is the important part of whether I buy more or not. I might try using it as a room scent sometime, though, or scenting some bath salts with it. Or see if I can convince my SO to test it out. I really want to love it, and if my idea of 'What I Smell Like' were a little different, I might have been scooping up oodles of it.

Woodsy and herbally oranges with a hint of something that reminds me of cat food. I know that sounds strange, but it actually isn't bad!

Well, on my skin the oranges and woods fade really quickly and I am left with herbally catfood. Why me? It smelled quite interesting in the bottle, but icky on me. *sigh*

I was so excited when my BPTP package came, and I felt very fangirly for a non-existent team, wearing the shirt and the perfume. :D

This is definitely an ODD scent. I get woody catnip, and so far I haven't found any of the oranges in it yet, wearing it three times. I get the occasional hint of mint, and the slightest touch of smoke which I think may be the woods playing with my skin? In any case, it's so strange and I kinda love it. It reminds me of Sunbird, it's the same kind of herbaly niceness. Then again, I like catnip. ^_^

It seems that my cats like it too. Mi-Go, my giant Maine Coon mix girl, was sniffing my hands and mauling my boy. :) The other cat, Gypsy, paid attention to it as well. Cool! n_n

Oh! There's some moss! Cool!

Yep, definitely glad I ordered it. <3 Very odd, but definitely an interesting, unusual scent.

In the vial – A light, sweet herbal scent reminiscent of Door. (Just lighter/sweeter).

On the skin – Herbal woods, with a sweet undertone.

Dry – A deep herb/wood scent.

Nowhere in this do I actually smell oranges. o.O Kind've disappointing, really. But I like it for it's woody/herby similarity to Door. :)

At first, this is your garden variety cat nip. I hate to describe perfumes as 'drugstore', but this is what it goes to. You know the spray deodorants out there, Axe et al. A chemical spray, a bit musky, but somehow underneath, there is something rather sweet, vanilla-like and quite pleasant. Unfortuneatly, the musk or woods or whatever the main scent of this plant is, covers it up. I accidently spilled most of the imp on me, and it still faded really fast. Damn, I was expecting something like Knick-Knack here and was hoping for a woody orange like KK. I'm just a tad disappointed.