Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is a creamy, spicy scent -- it actually reminds me of the smell of freshly baked coffee cake. In my opinion, there's definitely cinnamon involved, but it's not the harsh kind that you would find in, say, Inferno. It's a cinnamon sugar, backed up by a light cream, which combines to that coffee cakes smell. Please note -- if you've never eaten coffee cake, there isn't actually any coffee involved, so don't get a bottle of this expecting that!

It's a really light perfume, and somehow, despite the cake/sugar/cinnamon that I get from it, it also realistically smells like perfume, and not like I just slathered myself in baked goods. As it dries, I actually think that I get a touch of carnation, which might be adding to the cinnamon spice smell, when it's wet. I think that foodies might like this for occasions when they don't want to wear super strong, HELLO-I-SMELL-LIKE-CAKE-AND-COOKIES scents.

This smells like plum pudding/christmas pudding with spices and dried fruits and cake, then doused in butter-brandy custard sauce (which could be a butter rum note) - it really reminded me of Christmas in Australia when my grandmother was still alive and made her pudding every year.

Very evocative scent, quite POTENT, but not cloying or unappealing. I'd never wear it as a non-foody person, but it's much more appealing than most 'dessert' like scents in BPAL, bc it smells so realistic and yet doesn't have any unpleasant edges, like too-sharp spices, heavy butter, musty cake drydown, etc. It is very similar to Fruitcake, actually, which is one of very few food scents I can wear and that doesn't turn badly on my skin.

Edited by fairnymph

In the bottle - very boozy (probably rum), a little cake (but it smells more like cake batter than the finished product), and hints of butter, nutmeg, and dried oranges

Wet on skin - pretty much the same, but the dried oranges are stronger

Dry - nutmeg (much stronger than before), cinnamon, cloves, dried oranges (stronger than before), cake/cake batter (a little stronger), the rum has lightened up a bit, there's still a hint of butter, and there's also a little orange rind. Later on (after maybe an hour or so of wear), the rum and dried orange notes lighten up a lot and the cake/cake batter pretty much disappears (which takes away most of this scent's sweetness). A little while later, a smoky note emerges, leaving this scent as a spicey, smokey, slightly boozy scent, with just a touch of sweetness

I do kinda like this, but with all of the spices and the smoky dry-down, it's not quite my thing

Edited by SurrealReality

This really does smell like Fruitcake. Cake batter, rum, hint of spices and perhaps a hint of orange? As it dries, a slightly smoky note appears. But yes, this is a kissing cousin to Fruitcake.

This is so intensely foodie. I love it. It's like the richest vanilla cream, sweetened by more vanilla glaze, and dusted with sweet cinnamon and clove. Spices usually amp up and ruin scents for me, but the spices here stay well behaved, subtle, and delicate. It makes me think of orange cake glazed with vanilla and orange pomanders without smelling really orange-y, if that makes sense.

ICD 37 is foodie and strong (lots of throw with this one), and smells like it should be a Yule blend to me. I wish I'd gotten a couple bottles of this one from the etsy shop instead of some of the others I took a chance on. It smells good on me and would also be a fantastic room scent.

My bet is this one was supposed to go or will go into the Yule selection.

Bottle: Butter vanilla and rum raisins. Smells like Christmas, smells like stollen. VERY foody and strong.

Wet: OK, this IS stollen. Buttery dough with almonds, rum raisins and the lightest hint of lemon peel. Has a sugary caramel note as well. A dash of cinnamon, orange peel, perhaps nutmeg and/or allspice and clove in the background.

Dry: Oh well.. turns to leek and/or celery on my skin. I also get some burned sugar. Drat.. I hate when those things happen. :(

WHOA spice. Lots of spice. Mostly clove, some "hot" baking spices, maybe cinnamon and nutmeg? A touch of caraway?

I am not getting the cassia burn/headache reaction, so, yay!

This is definitely the spiciest BPAL I have ever tested. It actually tingles the nose.

Also RAISINS(!) and some kind of sour liqueur. The raisin note is super strong and it is dead-on. I don't think I've ever smelled raisin in a perfume before.

There is also a burnt-sugar note that almost goes to plastic, but not quite.

--------------------------

There might be a dough or cake note behind all of this to ground it, but from bottle to drydown this is like mashing your face into a bowl of 150-proof-booze-soaked raisins, gritty with spices, while somebody stands in the background using a blowtorch on a bag of sugar.

It is...oddly... appealing. I...I...think I like this. I don't want to like this!

---------------------------

If these are Christmas cookies, they have a Lovecraftian vibe to them. They are too intense to be normal Christmas cookies.

These are the cookies of madness and you cannot resist them.

Even while you cry out "NO, NO! I don't want to take the drunken cinnamon challenge in cookie form!" they will insinuate themselves into your life. You will awake late at night thinking of them. Finally, you will arise, and taking a recipe attributed to Abdul Alhazred, written in an ink that looks suspiciously like blood, you will bake them. Oh, the liquor-fueled debauchery of which no culinarian dare speak! Oh, the disembodied voices telling you to pre-heat the oven to a hellish temperature of 325 degrees farenheit! And when the act is done, you will stand before the cooling rack, and you will look upon the misshapen creations you have wrought and say in a distant voice:

"These are my cookies. They were baked for me"

nom...nom...nom.

---------------------------

As one is doomed to taste the cookies of madness, I think I am doomed to like ICD37, in all of its fiery, alcoholic raisin weirdness.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Ooh, this one is amazing! It really does smell like a Yule cookie or dessert. I get currants and well-behaved spices and a toasty, fresh out of the oven pastry note that smells delicious.

If you're a fan of Drink Me, Knave of Hearts, or Yule gourmands, this proto is for you! I will be hanging onto this decant. Thank you to the kind BPALer that gifted this to me. :wub2: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

ICD category 37 refers to the class of surgical procedures where you cut into the heart, at least in the old ICD-9. The way this smells, it fits right into the 'everything is cake' trend: cut into this heart and find out it's full of luscious vanilla custard! This is some serious foodie goodness, even tho the label has old timey looking medical diagrams of the ribcage.

The bottle scent is slightly boozy, but fresh on my skin I'm getting caramelization, cinnamon-y spice, so much sugary vanilla richness. It's not really reading as cake or pastry at this point, more like a spiced crème brûlée?  As it dries, it transforms into more of a baked good, perhaps a spiced sugar tart, with a suggestion of a berry garnish. There's still kindof a custardy vibe even though there isn't an obvious dairy component. Hours later the sweet vanilla is still vanilla-ing, but it doesn't have a huge amount of throw for me. 

Edited by LavenderCoffee