Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stardust

Best BPAL blends without floral notes

Your skin-chemistry seems to have some similarities with mine. Jasmine is a no, no, however, night-blooming and star jasmine seem ok on me. Rose I am ok with. Rosalind and Maiden don't work for me; Maiden I am sure because of the Carnation, I haven't tracked down the culprit in Rosalind.

Mint and Lotus sometimes work for me, sometimes not. Like you Black Lotus doesn't, whilst Blood Lotus does. I love Dragon's Milk, Embalming Fluid and Tamora, not keen on Neo-Yokyo though.

What works exceptionially well on me and with the rose containing oils excluded:

Baku, Temple Of Dreams, Cathode, Chimera, Dragon's Bone, Dragon's Heart, Empyreal Mist, Fae, Hamadryad, Hemlock, Intrigue, Lampades, Pele, Scherezade, Bluebeard, Djinn, Imp, Masabakes, Nephilim, Pain, Szepasszony, Danse Macabre, Darkness, Oberon, Regan, Aizen-Myoo, Kabuki, O, Perversion, Severin, Snake Oil, Cheshire Cat, Lust, Sin, Megaera, Judgement, Justice, Strength, The Hermit, The Star, The Sun, Bayou, Glasgow, Machu Picchu, Sybaris.

I'm not sure which rose-containing oils you've tried, but on my skin the one that is irresistable is white rose. Beth uses so many different roses that perhaps one would suit you. If you haven't already tried it, I'm curious as to whether Queen Mab would work for you, I love it but don't especially notice the rose.

mmmm perhaps that explains why I'm broke :P

ETA: How did I miss Kumiho and Depraved?? !!

Edited by allamanda

Laurel - The only oil I've tried with heliotrope in it was Tamora, I think. I couldn't detect the heliotrope, um, I'm not even sure what it smells like. The vanilla kicked in after an hour, & that's all I could smell for awhile.

allamanda - I adore Neo-Tokyo, it's a fairly balanced scent on me. Not too floral, I can kind of smell the fruit, & it's got lasting power. I want to try Aizen-Myoo, it sounds great. Cheshire Cat, also, but I'm not sure if the grapefruit is going to last on me. I'll have to give O another try, I probably shouldn't have tried it after I had Jack on. i washed Jack off, but it was still...@_@

I'm halfway interested in Dana O'Shee, but I don't want to smell like food. Or if it's too sweet-smelling, I get a little nauseous.

Wow....that's a long list...

Allamanda mentioned most of the blends I'd had in my head, so I'll just add in that if you like fruity, try Swank or Bordello. (Old) Cairo is also quite fruity, but in a soft honeyed way.

I'd definitely second Glasgow, Machu Picchu, and Empyreal Mist, and add suggestions of:

Athens- a honey and wine scent- it sounds a bit odd, but it's beautifully blended, and there's a creaminess to it.

Kumiho- a sharper tea and ginger scent- since Baobhan Sith didn't last so long for you, you might want to give this a go. The scents are very similar in feel.

Lampades- Cranberry, and some spices.

The Hesperides- green apples and honey.

Jasmine and rose are horrible on me also! You can also add amber to my trilogy of terrible notes. My body chemistry does something horrific to them!

That said, some of your favorites are also some of my favorites: Dragon's Milk and Embalming Fluid. I tried Tamora, but that was when I was a BPAL newbie--I thought it was too sweet and swapped it away. Haven't tried Kuang-shi or Neo-Tokyo.

I recommend that you try these: Dana O'Shee, Morocco, Dia de los Muertos (if you can get your hands on it--it was a LE) and Bewitched.

If you are into REALLY spicy scents, Three Witches is my favorite. Chimera was not cinnamony enough for me--mostly just sweet.

Also, if you love Embalming Fluid, try Phantasm and Old Shanghai.

i would suggest: hamadryad, la petit mort, snake oil, merquise de merteuil, sin, love me, chimera, water of notre dame, antique lace, queen of sheba, r'yleah, seraglio, red devil, O, envy, three witches, scherezade.

all of these are either spicy/creamy or clean and fresh. none of these are florally esp. rose or jasmine. since you like tamora, i especially thought of marquise de merteuil :P enjoy!

eta: none of these are too foody either :D

Edited by lavinia

:D thought of a few more!

perversion, dragon's blood, dragon's milk, blood amber, blood kiss, lust, oneiroi, baku and temple of dreams.

eta: ooh ooh...one more! bastet :P

Edited by lavinia

I'm not big on roses myself (I normally steer far away from rose scents), but I do like at least two oils that contain it: Juliet and Endymion. Unless you are allergic, I would try giving one of these a go before you completely and totally write off roses from your book.

Here are some scents I like, but double-check to make certain they haven't any roses or jasmine:

Phantasm is very similar to Embalming Fluid. Along the same lines, I would also try and give Shanghai a whirl. Succubus may work for you as well.

The Hermit is my all-time favourite scent. It's very clean, more fresh than floral. Some other good, clean fragrances include Hurricane (very juicy and lush) and Hemlock (quite green and crisp). Jabberwocky is a very good scent as well, one I personally have a 5 ml of since I like it so much. Absinthe may be also one you might like, though if you're not fond of licorice/fennel, you may not be keen on it. If you like the idea of lotus and lavender, you may enjoy Paris from the Wanderlust section.

Black Pearl might be an interesting scent for you to try.

Sudha Segara is a great milky scent, though I think it may have jasmine in it if I'm not mistaken. I haven't really tried the others.

In terms of fruity scents, I've had Lampades and Hollywood Babylon work really well and last really long on me. R'lyeh didn't really last long, but it's a very clean fruity fragrance worth mentioning.

Some other scents I like that don't quite fit into categories you mentioned: Blood Amber, Severin, Wilde, Madrid, Anne Bonney, Szepasszony, Oneiroi, Scherezade, Three Witches, Hamadryad, De Sade and Medea. I also liked Black Dahlia and Hell's Belle, however both contain magnolia, which may have an affect on you if you're not keen on jasmine, as they're kinda-sorta in the same family. Again, double-check to make certain what I'm mentioning doesn't have the verboten notes... you can do a search on the main site to see the ingredients.

Hope this helps.

-doreen

I recently got more imps & two decants from a friend yesterday. Bewitched, R'lyeh, Water of Notre Dame, Kuang Shi, Akuma, and Nyx are the imps I have, & Midwinter's Eve & Delerium from the decants.

I'm wearing Midwinter's Eve right now - real good stuff. It has fruit scent in it, & it lasts on me. There's fruit & floral, almost like a plum wine scent as well, & it's so good it's making me a little hungry. ~_~

I have Shanghai, & it smelled nice for a few hours, then went a little soapy on me. I might keep it or toss it in the swap pile. Endymion is sitting in the swap pile right now. It's too overpowering. I gave O another try last night. Definitely a keeper.

Maybe I should have posted my dislikes too!!! Or even posted some more reviews.

Endymion doesn't work on me and, although I like Nyx, the jasmine goes mad. I love Water of Notre Dame though :P

This might be interesting to bump.

Ooh, when I saw the topic title the whole Tiki Bar jumped to mind!

Can't believe this one hasn't been discussed in three years. But we do tend to yack away about so much... :P

Minor additions from someone who isn't deeply in love with florals:

From the Carnaval, Priala is cinnamon, smoke, and musk. For some of my faves from the GC: Yggdrasil is one I've been in love with for a little while now, and of course it's very green and full of woods and moss and herbs; Djinn, again, I'd recc; and Dragon's Claw.