Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Snow White v2

Cool sweet mint, like the minty snow note in Ded Moroz and When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go, pretty much exactly that note except in those blends, the spearmint:peppermint ratio is about 50:50 and here it is more like 70:30, so a lot more spearmint. As a result, it's sweeter, gentler, and also less cool, not as icy, bc it has less of that peppermint mentholic aspect. And, unlike those two Yules, this scent is like 90% 'cool snowy spearmint-forward minty blend' - i.e., it's just snow, but there is a faint creamy backdrop of something else beyond the mints.

WHOA, minty blast (sinus clearing!) with the peppermint peeking out a bit more but still definitely in second place, and spearmint still ruling, but now I am getting other mints I think too...chocolate mint, lemon mint, and maybe ginger mint? And definitely some catnip. This feels much more green now, and I almost positive there's thyme and and maybe some geranium Very herbal, almost medicinal, but very pleasant. It reminds me of a snowy Panacea, most significantly Bitch & Ugh minus the citrus/fruit. That subtle creaminess persists and is more distinct though still light - and I can't place it - though I really don't think it's coconut or almond, maybe something like vanilla musk? This reminds me a lot of something very familiar. And I get a faint fresh watery note that I really think is cucumber.

Definitely some cucumber; I get more of a darker green, slightly bitter, extremely realistic cucumber peel now in addition to the pulp, which has an almost honeydew melony fruity sweetness that's highly refreshing. The mints have faed a bit, and are the mentholic blast was definite short lived, but the spearmint & peppermint notes have change such that the ratio is more 60:40 now. I like a brand of body products called Deep Steep, and one of their fragrance chocies for body washes and creams and such is 'Honeydew Spearmint' - it's a scent I absolutely adore - and this is almost identical! So there must be a bit of honeydew melon in here, too. This scent reminds me of Tulzcha quite a bit - very, very similar feel - fresh, light, minty, but softly sweet and overall a rather gentle scent with some depth and a surprisngly complex, COMPLETE, 'polished' feel - nothing is missing here. As for the creaminess - it's taken a sugary, almost candied turn on my skin (like in Velvet Unicorn, but it's much lighter & less rich here), and I still stand by the musk presence, so it's like sugared cream poured over vanilla musk. The vanilla musk and the cool, light, polished and absolutely pleasnt feel (as in no one could dislike this) remind me of The Girl - not very much in actual scent, but in vibe & evocative imagery, which is very appropriate for Snow White!

The late drydown is quite different, surprising - we're talking like several hours later - an evergreen woodsy note of some type has emerged, it's slightly pine but it's not pine or the most common snow that is harshly piney - I think it might be spruce, bc it has a a dark green-blue feel, quite a bit of depth with a dark edge scent-wise , though there's just a hint of this evergreen note so it doesn't drag down the scent, just adds an interesting facet. There's a very little touch of juniper berry, evoking gin faintly. I also get some Birch, the same slightly sparkling sweet, birch-beer like note from Talvikuu and The Girl - this is also clearly responsible for some of the creaminess, though after several hours much of the creaminess dissipates. Actually, this reminds me very much of The Girl overall now scentwise, because a whole lot of musk(s) have emerged, including pale, crystalline and probably that vanilla one, and the same star jasmine note has appeared, too. I think I smell the white amber, too, which added some creamy brightness earlier but now has gone slightly powdery, and davana could be responsible for the pink-feeling creamy sugar-candy aspect, though the melon still provides sweetness too - much like the candied melon note in Earth Rat. I just sniffed my bottle of The Girl (a scent that doesn't morph from the bottle on my skin so strikingly like this scent), and the resemblance is uncanny. The mints have faded but remain and do make this scent distinctly unique, the melon is virtually gone, and the cucumber is very faint, mostly peel. The thyme note could be immortelle - they're similar types of herbal notes, subtle now. Good throw, and fantastic longevity other than the morphing; as a scent overall, this remains strong, even amps over time on my skin a bit then holds firmly.

Basically, Snow White v2 is The Girl minus the slightly cloying ylang ylang, plus a spearmint-driven version of the blended minty snow note, cucumber peel and a little pulp, candied honeydew melon, stronger, more complex, and vanilllic musks, maybe a hint of short-lived geranium as well as possibly some other herbs, especially other mints and then more faintly in the later drydown, a little bit of spruce. It's scent that is absolutely gorgeous at every stage but that morphs quite a bit scentwise, but never loses its essential feel of creamy, elegant, cool, pale musky femininity. In the end, it becomes very difficult to dissect the scent bc of how beautifully and seamlessly all the notes blend into a perfect, shimmering, cool, sweet musky skin-scent that's like a diamond or time frozen - impenetrable and utterly spellbinding in its gleaming brilliance.

Absolutely stunning. :heart: :thud: :heart:

Edited by fairnymph

I'm a big fan of the released versions of Snow White - for me, it's a floral that reminds me strongly of trumpet lilies with a touch of vanilla), and though this prototype is very different it's easy to see why it would have fit the concept. I get sweet, delicate vanilla with just a hint of a light floral and a chilly breath of mint. It's actually extremely pretty, even if it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

I get straight up watermelon from this version. Seeds, rind, and all. It's very refreshing!

Snow White v2 - This is definitely a minty scent. It's got an aspect of it that's heavy, minty snow over vanilla, but there's still the pretty, soft, delicate, light floral far beneath the vanilla-mint notes, too. It's really beautiful, and will be very loved this coming winter. The throw and wear length are much stronger and longer on me than the released version of Snow White, too.

Mint...piney mint! Like Snowball fracas without the freakin dirt! :thud: Dry: Mint with the barest hints of vanilla and florals. Not a fan of this one. :huh?:

Mmm. On wet, I get a blast of the same cool minty snow note that is in Ded Moroz, and reminds me alot to Skadi actually since I get sweet mint and a blast of pine. As it dries, I get hints of vanilla and almond.

As opposed to released version, which I invariably get a metric ton of coconut that blasts whatever notes there may be into a sort of tropical suntan lotion oblivion, I find the prototype version to be sweet, icy and deliciously memorable. Strong vanilla/with a fair bit of almond on dry. No melon for me, but yes, perhaps some birch underneath?

Lovely. Perhaps a tad too sweet for me, but definitely something very wearable. And covetable.

I love the released version of Snow White, so I'm glad that this proto didn't make the cut. Snow White v2 actually reminds me more of Ded Moroz. I get a powdery mint and pine tree smell mainly, and not so much of the vanilla or almond that others have mentioned. It gets a bit sweeter and creamier smelling after about a half hour, but it disappears quickly after that.

Snow White is my all-time favourite BPAL blend, so I wanted to try this to compare. They are nothing alike - in fact, I'd call this the love child of Snow Glass Apples (minus the apple) and Ice Queen. This is cold and minty with some lovely soft musks, a touch of subtle evergreen and/or birch, and maybe a hint of fruit and floral underneath that. The drydown is a slightly-sweet, fruit (melon?) with floral mix.

I don't love this as I do the released version of Snow White, but I do like it, so I'm glad to add it to my collection.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Like many others, Snow White is one of my favorite bpal blends! I am so excited to test this, just to see what my beloved could have been!

Holy crap, wow, in the imp TOTALLY different. Not bad, but so so different from what we got. It's a sweet minty blend. Very pleasant. Reminds me of other winter-y minty bpals.

Oh yes, on my skin this is a very sweet white mint with a touch of vanilla and a bit of light pine-y-ness. Very lovely! SO different from the finished product. I am so glad Snow White ended up the way it did, but this is a lovely lovely scent and I think could have been another great Yule. Definitely smells like a winter scent.

Honestly, I am totally digging this scent! However, sometimes the pine is a bit much for me. If it had no pine, I would be falling over myself to get a bottle. Not that the pine is overwhelming, the sweet mint in this is just soooo perfect! This is really a great blend and it is too bad it didn't get made (as something other than my beloved Snow White!).

Fully dried down to a lightly powdery sweet mint-didn't notice the pine so much on full drydown. Absolutely a lovely blend!

This is complex and chilly. I get mint (with a touch of spearmint), soft vanilla, a bit of green and soft florals (slightly reminiscent of When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go) all blended together with that lovely soft creaminess from Snow White. As it dries, some pine and a slightly sweet musk emerge and the chilly mint, soft vanilla and green amp on my skin. Sadly, the vanilla is starting to get a plastic tinge on my skin.

I would characterize this as a feminine snow and pine scent. It definitely has more of a "cold" quality than the released due to the pine plus more prominent mint and ozonic notes that are like bracing winter air in the beginning but soften on the drydown. I wouldn't say this pine is the dark pine resin of Gacela of the Dark Death or The Most Magnificent Christmas Tree but a lighter, slightly sweet pine needle scent like that in Skadi or Ondurdis. I do see a link between this and the released in the combination of snow, soft nonfoody vanilla and white floral notes. I can't put my finger on the exact florals, but they are present, though I think to a lesser extent than they are in Snow White. This version has no coconutty quality like the released, it does share something of the pleasantly powdery quality the released takes on as it dries down, though I would say this one ends up less powdery overall. This is Snow White in a snowy evergreen forest, and it is as beautiful as the image it conjures.

Was very happy to see some overstocked bottles on the Etsy store and snapped this baby up. This is unlike anything else I own, as I don't usually go for mint-dominant perfumes (I like it as room scent but on the body it reminds me of toothpaste or breath-freshener). And I am enjoying this far more than I'd expected.

At the start, when the cool mint lifts off your skin, it does have a chilly fresh spearmint vibe, but there's enough of other notes present that it's not straight-up Wrigley's gum. This is like fresh powdered snow with a slight sweetness.

Then the mintiness starts to soften, though the coolness remains. It's like walking into a sweet, chilly mist. It's ethereal in a pleasant, benign way. I smell a light, milky vegetal note in the background which might be iris or watery violet. And something that's reminiscent of, but not quite coconut to me; maybe violet leaf. I can't tell for sure but it's intriguing.