Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Coffee!; creamy, foody, sweet COFFEE, like a milky espresso drink with flavoured syrup. I think this will be quite a popular one.

fairnymph, I'm wondering if maybe you got your IXHV protos mixed up? Because while IXHV 4 is COFFEE!!!, I don't get any coffee at all from IXHV 37. Instead, this is a very buttery, almost rum-like scent, with something feminine in the background --- I think I actually pick up a tiny bit of sugared rose? It's faint and very pleasant. A very ladylike scent, but one that might also appeal to foodies.

EDIT: I'm wearing this again today, about a month later, and I finally realized what it was that I was missing: pumpkin! There is DEFINITELY a buttery pumpkin note in this. When it goes on, it still has that slight floral hint to it, which never quite goes away. However, once it is dry, the pumpkin comes to the forefront. I think I didn't identify it as pumpkin at first because I'm not used to smelling pumpkin in combination with florals, and because the lab's pumpkin note is always a bit off to me. There is definitely something cake-like about this, especially after it is dry.

Edited by kikithepirate

Wow, I don't get any of what the other two reviews describe. On me, I'm getting a floral dryer sheet smell. It's nice but I don't want to smell like a dryer sheet except on my clothes, you know? I think this would be perfect to stick in a drawer & let the scent permeate......

I went back and took a sniff of my sample & I do smell some type of buttery-note but after re-applying, I'm still getting that floral dryer sheet smell. Drat!

This one is hard to describe. In the bottle and wet on the skin it's a buttery, rum-y, foody scent with possibly some pumpkin(?). Like kikithepirate, I find that it has a sweet floral component to the scent once it dries. A bit of a morpher, but I think it will appeal to foodies as well as those who like sweetened (but not candy-sweet) feminine blends.

I don't really find this to be all that foody.....

In the Bottle - sugared rose incense, butter, and a faint hint of cake.... it actually reminds me a little of 'The Knave of Hearts'

Wet on skin - sugared rose incense, more butter, a little cake, and a faint hint of something sharp

Dry - sugared rose incense (still the most prominent note, but not as strong as before), butter, cake, and the sharp note from before is much stronger..... it's blackberry (the tart kind that smells like cat piss.... just a personal opinion of course)

I'm guessing my 'sugared rose incense' note is really just a dark rose note, but the rose note in Knave of Hearts always reminded me more of incense made from roses than fresh roses too......

I get the buttery rum and pumpkin from first sniff in the bottle but on my skin it turns into a more gourmand fragrance, just not straight foody. I do get a soft floral note but not enough to be an instant 'no' for me as I hate anything floral. Definitely an interesting scent.

IXHV37 - This is the heavy, buttery scent of baked goods -- croissant? Scone? Something delicious! There is the definite bitter fruit note of either black currant or blackberry. Sadly, the gourmand/foody part of this turns to dusty plastic on my skin, as almost all gourmand notes do, but once it dries, there is the distinct scent of soft florals. Several hours after applying, the plastickiness of the gourmand notes has burned off and what's left is a sweet, floral note that definitely smells like a type of rose and maybe a hint of a soft lily, like calla lily. It ends up very pretty on me.

Mmm.. pie! Blackcurrant pie, maybe? There's some spice in here.. it's almost pumpkin-ish but not quite, so maybe it has nutmeg in it? It's reminding me of Butter Rum Cookie - there's a similar buttery/rum kind of thing going on in IXHV37, but BRC was really strong on my skin where this is more subdued. I'd also agree with SurrealReality's comparison to Knave of Hearts - that same rich pie crust flavour is in this one too, with the blackcurrant fruitiness. And unfortunately, as SR mentioned.. yeah - blackberry does the cat pee thing on me too :(

I didn't really get any of the sugared rose or floral things that previous reviewers have mentioned, but my skin amps anything related to sugar or pie crust type notes. I waited until it had been on for an hour before writing this review, so nope - definitely no florals. A slightly burnt plastic kinda smell did come out though, along with a light cat pee odour unfortunately, which always happens to me with these blackberry pie kinds of blends.

Overall, whilst this is quite delicious and nice and soft.. I've smelled other BPALs that are similar enough to this one that I wouldn't go hunting down a bottle of it.

Thanks to bookandbroom for the tester! :wub2:

Definitely started out as a foodie blend - I would peg it as more of a buttery scone as opposed to cake. As it dries, it becomes more floral and I do think it is sugared rose incense like.

Tasty, but not for me.

There are a lot of different opinions here! I thought I was smelling coffee, and maybe there is some here, but I definitely agree on pumpkin. It makes me think of Pumpkin Latte with the pumpkin and spices, so maybe it's just phantom coffee because of that association. But then I get a sort of piney note? It's almost like a cross between Pumpkin Latte and Samhain--it smells sort of autumn-outdoors like a bonfire with damp wood and burning leaves. Maybe some fruit is there, but I'm not really sure. As it dries, it goes a little fruity/floral (blackcurrant?) incensy. This is so strange but so good. I want to keep reapplying so I can keep trying to figure out what's in here.

This reminds me of The Knave of Hearts, but more buttery (buttered scones) and with a fruit that goes slightly sour on me, and a floral that's slightly soapy. In the drydown, it smells sweet, buttery, and also of clean floral, which doesn't mix well for me. My husband said it smelled like buttery soap. Whatever is in this, it does not like me.

I remember being at the trunk show that this was offered at and it being like a rum scone type of scent. I tested it just today when I saw it was available at the Lab's Etsy shop and it has turned into a pumpkin, apricot pie scent - so odd! It's like Depraved and Jack did something kinky and ended up with a baby of sorts.

IXHV37:

I have a Chaos Theory that's somewhat similar to this, but fruity instead of buttery. I love both with amazing intensity (for reasons I can't quite fathom, but okay then).

For what it's worth, I get the black current cake note from Eat Me, mixed with a hint of pumpkin, a dark milky note, and something similar to clover in the background. There's also something kind of floral but you can't quite put your finger on what precisely it is. When it dries down on me, it becomes a deep, milky pumpkin with just a hint of black current.

IXHV37: Uhh. It started off as a mug of coffee on a summer morning while someone was cutting the grass. Then it turned pretty herby and somewhat bitter. Now it's plastic. I can see pumpkin, but... Eh.

Uhh. What? Okay. Well. Hmm.

ETA: I know exactly what this is. This is Pumpkin Latte. Holy crap. No wonder it went plastic on me, so did Pumpkin Latte.

Edited by bpalscentsual