Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

CD: Misfortune Teller v3

Smoky, sweet, maybe a dark fruit; reminded me a bit of Hellion, and some other blend even more so - it's definitely strongly familiar and I'll have to sniff around to figure it out. Possibly Mme Moriarty?

the proto is fruitier than the released version of Mme. Moriarty. There is plum but also some other tart fruit. Much lighter on the red musk but it is still in there. Not getting any of the vanilla of the released version which really helps to deepen and round out the plum.

Oh, my! This is really good!! I never liked the released version of Mme Moriarty (tried it a year ago), but now that my tastes have changed, it is starting to grown on me.

As for this version:

I just want to bathe in this stuff! In the beginning, I can smell a bit of perfumey plum, muskiness, and something that just really smoothes this blend out. It is after the wet phase when this blend truly smells amazing. The plum fades a bit and I can smell a different sweetness. Vanilla? The drydown reminds me of vanilla baked goods of some kind (a bit like Eat Me?). :yum:

Will have to compare to the released version later... I think this one is a keeper and I normally don't like plum at all!

Edited by Catseyes

I absolutely love this one and must seek out more. :heart: It has significantly more musk and vanilla than the released, which is mostly plum and red musk on me. I'm confused as how it could be fruitier than the original but I amp vanilla and red musk and I couldn't be happier with the way they amp here as they're also two of my favorite notes. It's a thick, heady, deeply sensual red musk cloaking equally thick boozy Bourbon (I believe) vanilla with a hint of plum and maybe a dash of spice, or at least the feel of some spice in the background even if it isn't actually there. It has that magnetic quality of drawing you to it wanting to take just one more sniff, and when you pull away you realize you need another...and another...

Edited by Invidiana

In the imp, this is dark and smoky and a bit heavier on the red musk; on my skin, it's a lot of smoky red musk, vanilla, and maybe some plum? Dries down to a sexy smoky vanilla and plum musk. Definitely getting a full skin test, and please dear god may it not go to DISO, please.

Edited by Venneh

There is definitely plum in this, and way more red musk. This prototype is way more wearable on me than the released version. It's got that sultry red musk, with hints of smoke and fruity sweetness. Red musk amps to high heaven on me, but this one wasn't too bad.

CD: Misfortune Teller v3 - This is a gorgeous scent. Very similar to the released version, but lighter and sweeter. The released version is heavier and darker. This version is more of a sweet, fruity, red musk scent, whereas the released version has the sweet, fruity, red musk scent but also is much heavier on the patchouli and plum. I love this, but I love the released version even more.

I am So, sososos glad that the released version is what it is. Because I fucking love it. This version? Not so much.

Very smooth musk. I think there may be a combination of musks in this one as I'm getting a lemony/soap tinge off it that is black musk's signature on my skin. The plum is more round here and lends this blend a fruitier vibe than that of the released. A bit sweeter and not as in your face. I think it may be a bit sweeter but I'm missing the depth that vanilla bean adds here as well so I think that may be missing or not as prominent in the blend as the released.

But my patchouli is GONE. :( The released verion of MME Moriarty is MY patchouli blend and without it, it just is not as bold or sexy. It's kinda plain.

I love you Beth. Thank you for making the released version what is it. :wub2:

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I really like Madame Moriarty. It has a tendency to go through a slightly funky stage on me before settling into something amazing, though, so I'm kind of hoping that this version might avoid that issue. Everything about v3 sounds great from the reviews, so I've got pretty high hopes.

First sniff:

Lovely. This reminds me of Snake Charmer mixed with Madame Moriarty, which is good because I love both. It's sweet but not in a foody way. I get rich, sweet amber, smoky vanilla and dark plum.

Wet on skin:

Basically the same as in the bottle, but with some musk now. It's probably red musk, but it's not as strong as the musk in the released version.

Dry down:

Sweet, resinous amber, smoked vanilla, black plum and dark, mysterious musk (it's hard to say what kind exactly, but I'm thinking it's a mixture). This is lighter than Madame Moriarty and sweeter, too, without the deep patchouli. It also doesn't go through the funky phase that the released version does on my skin.

This is like Madame Moriarty's younger sister who's just getting started in the fortune telling business, building up her mysterious image along with her collection of velvet dresses and smoky eyeliners.

The bottom line:

If you find Mme. Moriarty too heavy or intense, this will probably be right up your alley. Likewise if you're a fan of Snake Charmer.

I really like Misfortune Teller v3 and I'm very glad I got a bottle, although if I had to pick either the released version or V3, I'd go with the released version. I tend to wear darker, stronger scents and I love the patchouli in the released version. Both are beautiful, though, and both will be staying in my collection. :D

As other has said before me, I get a lot of plum from this and definitely some vanilla. There is something very sweet under the entire thing which does smell like a light amber. I definitely get a swirl of incense with this as well, although I'm not sure I really get any "musk" from this. Musk is usually bad on me and this is rather ... delightful! Its the same incensey, balsamy, smoky note that backs the Onogawa Kisuboro blowing smoke at one eyed monster , but mixed very differently.

Edited by Ellebelle

Now granted, my nose is not the best at notes, honestly, but I am getting something very similar to the Hellion prototype (Hellion v2) which is all smooth and spicy plum. This proto seems to me to be like Mme. Moriarty, one of my favorite scents, but take out the patchouli and red musk. It's no longer dirty and sexy and sultry; instead, it's a ripe and slightly, but not overwhelmingly so, spicy fruit (plum, probably). This reminds me in many ways of Mlle Lilith, Fortune Teller in that it's a more wearable for everyday or hot occasions kind of scent. I don't know about you, but I can't bear to wear my beloved patchouli and musk heavy scents on really hot days (90-100 degrees F) because they amp to high heaven and make me a little sick. This is a great intermediary: fruity, delicious, but not overbearing or overwhelming in the heat.

My husband says it smells "crisp, like a broken sugar cane ... not necessarily like a sugar cane but something freshly broken."

Edited by Ondine

This prototype is a combination between a lighter version of Mme. Moriarty and Snake Charmer. It's a sweet, smokey plum and patchouli with a smooth vanilla like the one in aged Snake Oil. It fades significantly once it dries, and I'm left with a sweet plummy resin that has virtually no throw.

It's nice if you think Mme. Moriarty is too heavy for you, but I prefer the released version.

This is very similar to the released version of Mme. Moriarty, although it is lighter and sweeter. Too sweet for me, unfortunately. :( The drydown is sugary plums and a little musk. Pretty, but I prefer the original version.

In the bottle: very similar to the released version, but there's a hint of something lighter/sweeter swirled into the mix. Interesting...

On wet: Sweet vanilla with a fruity sparkle - creamy and smooth. Definitely not the heavy, heady red musk n' fruit combo I'm used to!

Drydown: It's kinda difficult to get this scent sniffed out accurately - it's faded down so much! What I can smell is a much softer, lighter version of my favourite Misfortune Teller - like someone's added a few drops of the released blend to a bottle of creamy vanilla. The red musk and fruitiness is still present, but not as prominent, and there's a much sweeter edge to both. I'm not certain - it could be the way my nose is interpreting the mix of components - but I'm catching a hint of leather and possibly something resiny, too. Hmm...the longer it dries, the heavier/richer it gets.

Overall: M. Moriarty is my favourite scent and has been for quite some time now. Mlle. Lilith is a close second. They're similar in feel, but serve the many different moods I have. When I want something close to either released version - but NOT a released version (gotta love those annoyingly indecisive days, lol) - then this proto will be a great option, especially once it's had a chance to age into the glorious deliciousness I know it will become. Currently a 4/5 and a keeper. :D

This smells very similar to the released Mme Moriarty on my skin, except that this doesn't seem as complex, deep, or dark to me... it has a bit more of a bright, tart, sweet fruity note and it's slightly lighter on the earthy/incensey edges. Still, the overall feel and drydown is almost identical for me. If someone applied this on me instead of the released version, I don't think I'd know the difference.

Plum and red musk - just amazing - I'm sure there are some florals hiding in here (but Beth is amazing - and she mixes these types of blends in a way where there's no way I could even pick one of them out) - I adore this scent. The original "oh how I wanted it to love me" Mme. Moriarty, doesn't play right on my skin - and that makes me so sad; it's very sharp on me - but this is so rounded out and smooth with my particular skin chemistry and just stunning. Whenever I tried Mme. Moriarty, this is what I expected. I really :heart: this scent.

In bottle: busty plum

On skin: smack of red musk

Half-hour later: lots of Bordello plum with mellower musky base

In conclusion: I'm so glad the Lab is releasing these prototypes, it's interesting to see the evolution of a blend to a finished product. I love the final Madame Moriarty and this is a great variation with that extra bump of luscious plum. Juicy, dark and delicious :wub:

Plum and red musk. I'm one of those who likes this proto version better than the released version on me. Smells amazing in my SGA locket too. :wub2:

Oh my this is good! I think I have found a new favorite (or at least another favorite :lol:). This is a really good plum scent with a musky dry down. It is sweet at first, but the dry down is warm and comforting. I have 2 bottles that I purchased on Etsy and I think that may not be enough.

Wet, this is very similar to Mme Moriarty, though there is more juiciness, like a raspberry or brighter fruit is added, though it could be just more of a balance of more plum. Dry, here is where I get more of a difference with the blends, but it really does have the "mme" vibe to it, obviously a prototype. There seems to be more vanilla upon dry down, so v3 ends up smelling like spicy vanilla plums, with more vanilla than the released version. The released version is one of my faves, but I don't wear it out in public, or if I did, it would be in the evening in a dimly lit restaurant. I do wear her frequently, but just to enjoy at home. This version is more wearable to me. I would definitely wear her out, especially in the cooler months. I love this probably just a leeeetle bit more than the released version, and will probably try to track down some more at some point. Fans of the original need to try this! :wub2:

Wet: Tart plum and red musk.

As it dries, the plum softens, and smoky incense with a tiny bit of vanilla comes into play. Sometimes red musk can be overpowering on me, but so far this one is staying in check.

This is dark and mysterious without being so heavy that I couldn't wear it during the day. It basically smells like plum incense on me, which is a nice change of pace.

Edited by whataboutprom

I have no idea what the released version smells like and I really wanted to so when I saw this on etsy I went for it and I looooooove it so much. Plums, incense, vanilla and spice. Wet the plum hit me first, juicy without being fake fruit. My parents had a plum tree and this is what the plum tree smelled like on a hot summer night. As it dries the other notes come out to play. Vanilla incense rises to the top, floating around my skin. Great throw and more complements than I have recieved than any other scent I have ever worn.

I bought this off etsy a week ago and now it's here! SUPER fast!!! I tried it on right out of the box but I think I shoud have let it settle first. It was a bit sharp and I was amping pachouli like no ones business. I was a bit sad but I decided to give it another go and its exactly what I was hoping for!! The released version was too heavy for me but this one is great. A very musky plum. It's warm and lingering and makes me feel mysterious. Haha. I have worn it 3days in a row now!! <3

Like Angelicruin, I like this proto better than the released version...It's definitely more plummy, and I feel it's more of a balance of Plum with the red musk, where in the released it's like RED MUSK and oh hai! Plum.

defintiely more of a stand out to me, since many of the blends containing red musk tend to smell very similar to me (I amp red musk though, so that's why!)

Edited by sharkdiver

Pounced on this via a forum sale, because ze Madame, she is a hard one to track down, no?

In the bottle: something sharp - no fruit?

Wet: A big blast of something sharply medicinal

Drying: Sweetening up a LOT, with incense and red musk, but still that medicine scent in the background. Still no plum :cry2: .

Dry: Oh, MUCH better! Still not much that I can identify as plum, but here's the vanilla. Basically a red-musky vanilla on me with just a hint of fruity incense.

I'm not sorry I bought it, but not sure how much I'll wear it. I have about decided that BPAL's plum just does not work on me :cry2: . I have a bottle of Mlle. Lilith on the way, I'm thinking it may be more to my liking.