Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

Blue Pumpkin Floss v3

Spicy, autumnal (melange of spices, like pumpkin or apple pie spice mix, and well balanced) pumpkin, but not nearly as sweet as I expected. Foody, but not in a traditional baked goods way; it reminded me of Pumpkin King quite a bit, but was softer, foodier and noticeably sweeter. Candied, but not sugary - not a spun sugar/candy floss note as I was expecting, and I'm not sure where the 'blue' came from as I didn't get a blue smell or vibe from this scent.

This is quite unique, so yet another reason it reminded me of Pumpkin King, and like PK, this was a more true, cooked pumpkin custard/pie sort of note, not the standard BUTTER/tonka which pumpkin normally registers as to my nose. I think many people would be very happy if this were to be released similar or identical to this version. While it's not my personal type of scent for a variety of reasons, this one seems perfected for what it is (much like Lamia v3 and Jingo-Kogo in that sense - in terms of popular protos - not that this actually resembled either of those blends in terms of the actual notes themselves).

Edited by fairnymph

This smelled like a pumpkin patch scent to me. BPAL pumpkin + a lil sugar. I wanted to like it because of the name, but it really was just an average PP scent to my nose. Not that complex and not that interesting, in my opinion.

Smells like sugary red hots, pumpkin and a teeny tiny hint of blueberry. Didn't get the blueberry til I skin tested, couldn't smell it at all in the bottle. But I would really describe this as a cinnamon pumpkin blend.

In the bottle: Spicy Pumpkin

On the skin: I also got red hots candy and pumpkin. Nothing blue at all on my skin.

This blend would fit in nicely with any of the pumpkin patches, but it definitely wasn't one of the highlights of the show for me.

Pumpkin pie! Definitely not the fresh, sharp pumpkin that I've gotten from the Pumpkin Patch scents and Jack -- I don't really care for those. This was a much sweeter, subdued, baked pumpkin, loaded up with lots of yummy spices. Nothing "blue" to my nose, at all. As for "floss," well... it was definitely sweetened? Definitely really, really yummy and warm. It stayed pretty true on my skin, and I was really sad that I wasn't able to buy a bottle. I really loved this, but I don't think that I loved it enough to pay whatever exorbitant prices it will no doubt go for on eBay.

Instead, I'll just wait hopefully for the REAL Blue Pumpkin Floss to come in a future CD update!

Interesting to read the other reviews. I'll start off by saying that I just don't like pumpkin scents on the whole and the only one I've ever loved was Pumpkin King. So.. I expected to hate Blue Pumpkin Floss right off the bat, and I was very pleasantly surprised. What I got out of it was a sweet, smooth pumpkin (not pumpkin pie, which I detest) with something delicious and lightly sugared in there that reminded me of Midway. :wub2: If you like foody, gourmand scents or have a thing for pumpkin, this is definitely one to try.

CD: Blue Pumpkin Floss v3 - This scent reminds me a lot of last year's BPTP Pumpkin Pie Bath Oil. It's very heavy on the pumpkin -- a sweet, foody pumpkin, not the typical buttery, squashy pumpkin -- and on the cinnamon. It seems more "regal" like Pumpkin Queen, as opposed to the more quotidian annual pumpkin patch blends. I can see how some pumpkin lovers would go nuts over this, but it's a bit too cinnamon-spicy for my taste, I'm afraid!

Another tester from the very generous bookandbroom - thank you! :hug:

When I first took the cap off of the vial, I got a whiff of 'blue' that reminded me of Blue Phoenix - I thought OOOH, this is going to be yummy! Then I dabbed some oil on my skin, and there was a slight waft of the same blue, but then when I leaned in for a sniff.. oh HELLO pumpkin! The blue is still there, but it's very much in the background now and I have to really go looking for it.

This could easily have been a regular Pumpkin Patch style blend, it's quite buttery and softly spicy, but I can detect a hint of something blueberry-ish or perhaps a blue/purple grape in there. Overall.. this is nice, and less in-your-face pumpkin than some of the PP oils that have come out over the years - it's less spicy, more soft/sweet in a cotton-candy kinda way.. it's fluffy! If this comes out as part of the CD, I know people will be happy to have another nice pumpkin blend without having to wait for the Weenies :smile:

I have not gotten blue from this one yet. There is a point in drying where it is red hots to me... something like I think Three Witches was, if I remember correctly. But then when it is dried down it goes to a beautiful warm, super super spiceyness that I wanted Shub to be and never was (not even the original).

Love this bottle more than.. well..any other. wub2.gif

So on wet, I got a super hit of pumpkin - and this one is the baked, cooked variety. BPAL's typical pumpkin note is super buttery on me. Not this guy. I got a splash of something that made me think blue curacao/blue raspberries and sugar. Still, pumpkin dominates the blend for me, and it dries to pumpkin + cinnamon.

Interesting. I'd like to do a prototype vs. released version to see the differences.

I haven't tried the released Blue Pumpkin Floss yet, but this doesn't smell blue to me at all. I get a sharp cinnamon (red hots candies) that burns my wrist where I applied this oil. The drydown softens and is a bit more warm and sugary, but it's still screaming CINNAMON... I don't even smell the lab's usual buttery pumpkin note here. Just spice.

Now this is what I expected the released version to smell like. :wub2: The released version was red hots cinnamon so intense that I couldn't smell pumpkin or blue candyfloss. The prototype is mouthwateringly perfect. It's spicy pumpkin pie with an amazing berry candyfloss running through it.

It's funny how much I love this, because I really hate pumpkin pie and I don't tend to like many of the spicy-foody BPAL scents. You would have to pry this from my cold dead hands.

First applied, I get cinnamon red hots and a bit of pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie, raw pumpkin, candle pumpkin but pumpkin that has been cooked before adding any spices. The pumpkin fades fast though and is lost in the overwhelming sweet cinnamon that is present. Late in the drydown, the cinnamon subsides and gives way to this beautiful sweet pumpkin that is spicy but really sweet. A peak of blueberry pops out but it's only a peek. I really like the drydown but it takes a feck of a long time to get there.

Oooh! Spicy cinnamon and ...blueberry? Not what I was expecting. Smells like something I would definitely eat!

It's drying a bit. Still cinnamon, but it has actually backed off a bit. Now I can smell a bit of pumpkin, but it is a bit faint. Still something I would eat!

Later: Mmmmm, more pumpkin with some cinnamon still! No more blueberry as far as I can smell. Just pumpkin and cinnamon. Tasty!

This scent is nice and yummy, but I am not sure if it is something I would wear often...

A wonderful and generous forumite gave me a sniffie/tester of this :wub2:

Wow, it's different!

The cinnamon is more muted than the released version; more barky and earthy and less foody/red-hots.

I have a hard time smelling pumpkin, but this is less baked-goods like, not as buttery, but hard for me to describe. I can definitely say that it is more raw and less dominant in the blend, just as the cinnamon.

The berry is totally different from the released berry. I want to say that it's more of a fuzzy blueberry, brighter, and just a little bit juicier.

Dry it's spiced pumpkin berry. Pumpkin and berry in equal amounts. The released version is very loud, fun, festive and a little silly (very seasonal!) this one is beautiful, muted and more sophisticated. I could wear it any day of the year.

In the bottle - Wet pumpkin bread.

Wet - Still pumpkin bready. Not really getting much of a “blue” scent - no berries, nothing.

Drydown - OK, maaaaaybe there’s a berry note once it’s dried. But it’s baked inside of that loaf of moist pumpkin bread. Not as foody as I’m making it sound, but there IS a spice that is kinda delicious.

Verdict - Primarily pumpkin bread with a touch of extra berry spice on drydown.