Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Boomslang v2

Snake oil with a softer chocolate note than in the release version; overall much lighter and less rich/dark/heavy than the released version, maybe bc not aged? I am unsure, but definitely a softer & lighter blend in potency and feel. Not so heavy on the red musk as the released Snake Pit scents.

Edited by fairnymph

Definitely heavier on the Snake Oil and lighter on the chocolate. Still would know it's Boomslang, just not as in your face chocolaty.

I sniffed this one from the tester and it was !RED MUSK! but now as I test the bottle I got it's not.. :think: It's not as intensely chocolate (or dark in color) as the released Boomslang. It's like this one is made with milk chocolate and the released version is dark chocolate - straight up cocoa!

In the bottle, I'm getting Boomslang, but with a softer chocolate note and a lot more heavy on the SO. On my skin, it stains dark like Boomslang, but not quite as dark as aged Boomslang, and I get more of the aged SO note like I do in the SOBO and the SO soap. Hmm. Unfortunately, it's all aged SO on me, and no chocolate; I think I'll stick with my aged Boomslang for my Boomslang fix.

Edited by Venneh

I need to preface this review by saying that I am a BIG fan of Boomslang.. but my little hoard of it is all very well aged to the point where it's dark and thick and sludgy and amazing.

So having said that - this prototype version is really interesting because it's totally different to the sludge that I have at home :D It's definitely the same smell as the released version - no question about it - but as the previous reviewers have mentioned.. it's less intense. The chocolate here seems much softer (more like a milk choc than a dark one), and the Snake Oil component of it seems less spicy and more vanilla-ish - definitely less heavy on the red musk. I've never actually had any lab-fresh Boomslang, so perhaps this is actually how new Boomslang smells? I dunno.. but this version is gorgeous, really soft and yummy, and a kind of toned-down version of the released version.

For the first time ever, with this Boomslang I got the 'baby powder' thing that I've seen people despair about with Snake Oil. This has never happened before! But again.. all my Snake Oil is uber-aged too so maybe that makes a difference. Anyways.. I actually like the powderiness of it.. it's lovely, soft and snuggly.

So in summary, if you love Boomslang because it's dark and rich and gourmand, then this proto version will probably disappoint you because it's just not as intense. However.. if you find Boomslang a bit too much and would prefer everything toned down a few notches, then this proto version could be just the thing you're looking for!

Boomslang v2 - The chocolate in the proto is much more subtle than the chocolate in the released version. The Snake Oil dominates the blend with the chocolate giving it a delicious boost. I don't particularly care for the released version, but I'd wear this prototype regularly if I had more than a little bit of it. For a Snake Oil lover who is not a chocolate scent fan, I really love this one.

Agreed with all the reviewers above. The chocolate is less intense, and much more of the milk chocolate kind. The Snake Oil definitely dominates for me, and it has more vanilla than spice for me. I am not a huge fan of sweet blends or Snake Oil but I found this more wearable than the released version.

I adore Boomslang and its rich, heavy chocolate, so this prototype just seems like a pale, not-as-good version to me. It's lighter, not as rich or chocolatey, and slightly powdery on my skin. It's sort of like watered down Boomslang rolled itself through a tub of baby powder, lol. It's not bad at all, but not better than the released version for me.

It is still chocolate and Snake Oil, but it a less potent chocolate. Like some before me, I find this more wearable than regular Boomslang.

Despite my love for the released Boomslang, I decided not to seek out a bottle of this because I remember testing it and thinking it smelled very similar to the released one. When it was available on etsy, I decided to compare them and I find v2 much softer overall, the Snake Oil is stronger, the cocoa is creamier and softer (similar to Candy Butcher chocolate on my skin) and there's also a warm, nutty note which amps with time. When it dries down it smells like very nutty snake oil and soft chocolate. It doesn't have much throw or longevity on me but I liked it enough to order a bottle.

I agree with those who get a nutty kind of note on this one. It's definitely like Snake Oil/Boomslang; I can smell the chocolate. However, it seems to be amped down a little bit. It's not quite as chocolatey and rich as the released version, but then it has this added nutty note to it. I actually really like it and find it different enough from the released version that it's worth seeking out the proto if one likes to try different variations, like the Snake Pit scents.

Husband says this one smells "musky, dark, like shady shenanigans."

Edited by Ondine

Origin:

5mL bought on Etsy.

Preconceived notions:

I really like the released version of Boomslang, so I'm looking forward to giving this version a try. :)

First sniff:

Yep, that's Boomslang, alright. The scent is recognizable, but the chocolate is lighter in this version than the released. This version has the light chocolate of a fresh bottle of the released version, but mixed with aged Snake Oil. I can see where people are getting a nutty vibe from this. It does have a faint sort of hazelnut-like scent. But I think that just might be one of those phantom scents that come up when certain notes are combined.

Wet on skin:

Light chocolate, aged Snake Oil and a stronger hazelnut-like note. Normally I hate the smell of nuts, but this is nice.

Dry down:

The (pseudo?) hazelnut scent is gone and I get aged Snake Oil and soft, but rich chocolate. It's less chocolatey than the released version, which is fine by me because I sometimes find Boomslang to be just a little too heavy on the cocoa. This is a warm, comfortable scent but strangely sexy in its own way.

The bottom line:

This isn't too far off from the released version. It seems to be more of a difference in note ratios than anything. I like both versions and, while they're similar, I'm glad I have both in my collection. :smilenod:

First applied all I smelled was rich chocolate and a touch of snake oil. I can't imagine what the released smelled like because the chocolate in this was very strong to me.

As it dries, it's strong Snake Oil with more depth and a bit sweeter, if that makes any sense.

This. Is. Awesome.

I adore my released version of Boomslang. I very often wear it to bed because it's so warm and nummy and cozy. This version is all those things as well only sexier because I smell a lot more Snake Oil here. This is great because I often layer my Boomslang with extra slathers of SO or SOBO. Now I don't have to layer anymore! This snake is so so sexy. :wub2: just :wub2:

SO GLAD I got this!! Normally my bottle purchases end up on the swap pile for some reason. mecry.gif

Bottle: Almost smells like aged Snake Oil. Very much vanilla, spices, soft chocolate and a nutty undertone.

Wet: Mmmmm.. Snake Oil and soft cocoa. There is definitely something nutty going on.. hazelnut chocolate or even something almond.

Dry: Just beautiful and perfect! Smells like cocoa or dark chocolate (but behaved), hazelnut and sweet almond mixed with aged Snake Oil. I had both aged Snake Oil and even aged Boomslang to compare. It sits right between them and has the lovely quality of spicy vanilla but is less chcocolaty than Boomslang. I wouldn't mind more chocolate, but I am delighted about the nutty note in the blend. Awesome! can't wait to find out how this one ages. wub2.gif

ETA: This one lasts! I put it on in the morning after my shower. It stayed with me all day and have an awesome throw! I could evens till smell it at night in bed! I put on some Van Van because I like to believe it helps me sleep. And, underneath that strong smell of Van Van, I could still smell the Snake Oil! icon_eek.gif Next morning: ready for a new round of testing on the back of my hand.. and there it is still! Wow.. that's some strong vanilla in there!

Edited by Honey

Very much like the released version, though this one seems like it is made with a different chocolate, milk chocolate, whereas the released version is rich cocoa. They are both amazing, though slightly different, fraternal twins perhaps. I think this one is more chocolately somehow, the other version more rich and resiny, but with the BEST cocoa you can buy. I'll treasure both.

I have to agree with Milo - this version definitely seemed more creamy milk-chocolate and snake oil vs. cocoa powder (that my skin pretty much ate on contact) and snake oil. I think this version is much more wearable IMO, though when I am more in the mood for rich resiny blend, I would reach for the released version

Well, I agree with everything already posted....This is very yummy. You get the Snake Oil and softer cocoa! I have regular Boomslang and sniffing them next to each other, they are almost exact...except, yes, Boomslang is dark choco and Boomslang v2 is milk choco! I love them both!! I think if you are itching for some Boomslang, the v2 version is just as good and satisfying!!! :wub2: AND I agree with Milo...I would think these two versions would be like sisters...related, but yet slightly different!

Edited by Numanoid

Boomslang V2. I have not tested the released version. NO preconceived notions. The closest I've been to these notes is Bliss & Womb Furie . WHich smell prettty awesome . Decided to by it untested.

Origin- Lab Etsy site

In the bottle- milk chocolate ...a bit boozy & something nutty but kind of toasty nutty. Scared about that. Afraid that nutty note might actually morph into stinky dog feet territory. PLEASE NO!

Wet- milk chocolate reminds of the chocolate in Bliss. Spices showing up . Boozy still but less. Still has that nutty note I am worried about. ( please oh please go away :beg: ) or at least DON"T go any worse on me. Nutty note getting stronger as it dries. :blink: BUT the yummy spicy smell is getting stronger too.

Dry-Yummmm I must be smelling Snake Oil . Sooo goood. The nut notes of doom are a distant memory . I don't smell the chocolate any more . Just the Deliciously sexy Snake Oil. So glad this turned out well. Its a keeper. :love!:

I cant believe I havent reviewed this one yet o.O

I have tried the released version and I do like it alot but v2 works better on my skin.

v2 is much creamier in the bottle and on my skin. I also would say v2 is milk chocolate and snake oil while the released version is dark choco and snake oil. In both you can smell the snake oil underneath a layer of chocolate. however as much as i love to eat dark chocolate it always goes through a weird sour drydown phase in my skin until it settles into delicious chocolate. milk chocolate doesnt do this so v2 is much nicer on me.

I will definately get the released boomslang version as soon as the carnival is back in town as the released version has something sexy about it due to the dark chocolate while v2 is foodie and comforting.

I love both but v2 wins over the released version in my book.

Straight up Snake oil was my favorite scent until i meet Boomslang v2 :wub2:

So far I have bought 6 bottles in fear to run out one day.

Try this if you love: foodies, milk choco, snake oil

Edited by DahliaHayashi

I purchased this bottle from Etsy, and like greedygirl I have not tried the released version.

When I first starting collecting oils, I was reluctant to order anything with cocoa/cacao because I thought chocolate wouldn't translate well into perfume. Then I tried Patchouli Cacao from Alkemia and loved it, so I decided to give BPAL's chocolate a try. The Black Temple Burlesque Troop did not work for me at all (though that may not have been the cacao's fault). I decided to try Boomslang v2 next because the reviews here and elsewhere on the forum suggested that it was more "milk chocolate" compared to BTBT or the released Boomslang.

Both in the bottle and on my skin it definitely has a creamy richness to it, with a little sweetness. It just doesn't smell chocolatey to me. A little nutty maybe, as others have mentioned, but beyond that it just smells like slightly odd Snake Oil. The Snake Oil is nice as always, but I have other Snake Pit blends (plus Snake Oil itself of course), so I'm not feeling like I really need this.

I'm still hoping to try Bliss and Velvet before I reach a verdict on BPAL's chocolate note, but I think I'll stick with Patchouli Cacao for now.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this scent yet!!

OMG: Sexy Snake Oil slithering in chocolate that lingers for hours. This is what I wanted the original Boomslang to be! It smells amazing, and I feel amazing when its on. Exactly what a woman should feel when wearing perfume!! I loved it so much I ended up with more than one back up bottle!!

definitely could smell snake oil and milk chocolate together. it is markedly less spicy than the released boomslang, which was seemed to highlight the spices in snake oil, when dry. as for v2 dry, I get a hint of musk. very nice!

So I'm trying this well after the last review here. Safe to say this bottle is aged. I'm also trying it a long time after I've last smelled the regular Boomslang, so I can't make a direct comparison:

In the bottle: I do get chocolate as a first note, but the Snake Oil is detectable right after that. To my nose, these two notes are well balanced. 

On my skin:

The oil is darker than Snake Oil but lighter in color than I remember Boomslang being. I also seem to remember discussion about Lab Boomslang having sediment in some bottles. I can't see any of that in mine. 

As it starts to dry, this blend is Snake Oil and a note that might be woodsy. The chocolate is there too, sweetening and softening the edges of the scent. It's also slightly tingly on my skin (could be any number of notes but has not been Snake Oil or cocoa for me) though it does not cause redness or any real discomfort. 

Several minutes in, and there's definitely a woody note pairing with the Snake Oil. The cocoa has faded quite a bit though it's still detectable.