Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MCS4096

Chaos Theory VI: Eris' Tilt-a-Whirl

CHAOS THEORY VI: ERIS’ TILT-A-WHIRL
Turbulent, disordered beauty: sensitive to initial conditions, topologically mixed, and approached by periodic orbits with abandon. A dynamical system expressed through scent.

I got Eris' Tilt-a-Whirl # 118

In the bottle it smells a bit like Mme. Moriarty to me.. When I compare them side by side though I see that #118 is heavy on the same red musk, but #118 lacks the sweetness and instead has a subtle herbal quality. My boyfriend said it smelled like "upholstery and peepee" to him :lol: I however think it smells good..

On my skin it's a base of red musk while the herbs amp and become somewhat high and biting.. it's almost like balsamic vinegar for a moment, but with time they mellow and the musk sweetens up some.

I'd love to know the notes in this.. It's really very interesting. It has that sexy red musk, but the herbs make it slightly earthy/natural in a way that's different from having patchouli or vetiver in a blend. I think it's a nice red musk blend for summer months. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: I got bottle number 74. Holy bake sale Batman! First impression is baked goods, spice, sugar. I'm so bad at determining notes.

On skin: Ok, this is weird. I swear I smell cotton candy but it’s sort of behind maybe some chocolatey nuts? Something baked or fried with sugar and something a little berry-like… caramel? I dunno. It’s fun tho. I like it. It might be a floral. How about I just say.. I dunno, it’s good?

Impression: I feel like it’s notes that I know but I can’t really think of what they are. It gives me the impression of being at the fair and being with a group of people and everyone has something different.. cotton candy and an elephant ear, maybe some chocolate peanut butter fudge and lemonade. Oh, and cherry taffy. Or bubble gum! Now, I’m getting a little bit of bubblegum.

I got bottle #112. Apparently Eris likes cloves. She really, really likes cloves. Unfortunately, I associate oil of cloves with dentistry, as in toothaches and dental cement - that's why I can identify cloves so readily. This blend doesn't smell bad, and as time goes by the cloves have some other things coming to join them, but the associations just aren't that good for me.

In the bottle- BAKERY YESSSSS!!!!

Wet- Lemon cookies....oooohhh!!!!

drydown- still lemon cookies, vanilla comes through a bit. Something...different...lurking in the background. It is nothing like the other cents, not foodie at all, but it is nice!

Bottle #126:

It is becoming apparent that I need to let bottles rest before making up my minds as to how they smell. I honestly thought that this was aqua-net hair spray when I opened it. However, today is another story. There is something smokey in there, along with a little bit of incense and herbs. It is really interesting. But once it gets on to my skin it goes powdery. It probably has amber or orris in it as those two notes turn everything to powder on me.

Verdict: Very interesting, but not really for me. *SIGH*

My Tilt A Whirl is # 124. I first got a melon note and something poking underneath, but was not sure what it was. The longer it is on, I am getting a floral note that I can not identify. It is not gardenia, rose, or lavender. I just do not know what it is though. Way too floral for me :sad: . This is going to sales or swaps tonight. I also think I am steering clear of the Tilt A Whirls and moving to the vanilla ones.

Eris' Tilt-a-Whirl #134 - In the bottle and wet, this smells like Prosperity of a Country in a candy store. Initially there is a strong herbal (orris?) note mixed with sweet watermelon jolly ranchers. As it dries, the herbal scent fades and is replaced by some type of lily. Weird. In the end, this smells like candied lilies on my skin. I actually really like it, but sadly it only lasts about an hour before it fades away completely.

Bottle #110. Hail Eris.

In the bottle: Pine and bubblegum. No, really. I don't know how else to describe it.

Wet on skin: The pine takes over. It's a very green, cold scent, a lot like how I remember Snow Moon being (and I really liked Snow Moon), but with an added sweetness.

Drydown: The sweet notes come forward and the pine fades to the background. There's something sugary, and I think I smell plum. Later on, I get something floral, but I'm having trouble identifying it. There's a little spice to it which makes me think it might be carnation.

Verdict: Bizarre yet oddly appealing. I'll definitely wear this, as I have a soft spot for weird things and this has a lot of notes I enjoy.

#152 - I'm getting a metallic note and light floral.

#52 - (How is that for weird that on 2 separate orders I get #152 & #52?) This one definitely has a boozy component to it. Rum, I think. And some kind of berry, though I am having trouble placing exactly what type of berry. Actually this blend smells like it belongs in the Atomic Luau Line. ;)

Edited by angelicruin

#114: Opium? That's the most I'm getting right at this moment. ON my skin, I think this is opium and something sweet, I'm not really sure.

#107: Something faint in the bottle, maybe myrrh? Myrrh on my skin, may be something else in it, not quite sure.

Both fade really quick on me, #107 leaves myrrh behind, #114 leaves nothing. Sorry I can't give a better review than this.

Edited by Venneh

#116: Round and bold, like really dark purple grape juice.

ADDED July 27:

okay, so I found a very similar note in The Chapel, which is Black incense, bitter wine, brimstone, and blood. It's not the black incense, obviously, but it could be the bitter wine or the blood. Or a combination of the two.

These are testers with just a drop or so of oil in them.

119 --- Smells like the original Oblivion (the GREEN one)

77 --- like Story Time at DD but with Lemon Poundcake (lot's of it) and less wood.

113 --- Picking up the syrup from Bake Sale but can't figure out the other notes.

Edited by beachbabealways

Decants from a circle run by the lovely Edens Sixth Day!

Eris' Tilt-A-Whirl #20 - This is a very light scent in the vial and wet on the skin, and it's a little tough to pick anything out at all. A little bit of wildflower and some kind of light musk, perhaps? As it dries down, I actually recognize this as High John the Conqueror root, and it reminds me a lot of Hellhound on My Trail without the bourbon vanilla. Yep, this smells like a non-sweet version of Hellhound. It's nice, but not overly remarkable on my skin.

Eris' Tilt-A-Whirl #136 - Wet and dry, this is all dark, honeyed fruit. I suspect that the fruitiness comes from one of the BPAL wine notes, based on the way it behaves on my skin (I amp wine to a crazy extreme). There is also a little bit of peppery spice on the drydown. It's intriguing, and I'm looking forward to retesting it again in a few months.

I'm not very good at identifying notes unless I know what's in the blend, but I'll give it a shot!

From the bottle it smells... almost fruity? It's a very bright, slightly sweet scent- almost like bubblegum, so maybe there's a bit of lotus in here. On my skin it almost smells like fruity shampoo- a pleasant smell, but a bit strange.

There's something underneath the fruitiness which grounds the scent, stops it from being entirely too sweet- but I have no idea what it is. I would love to know what's in this but unfortunately my nose isn't well trained!

It smells like peppery fruit in the bottle and when I apply it wet, smells certainly of some dominant note from BPTP's Cathouse spray! Almost like magnolia, deep fruit and spice.

Then, it switches gears and smells strangely metallic. Like silver metal, fruit, Deep South flowers and pepper, all together, none of the notes too strong.

Later on, I get an almost vanilla-ish coolness. Sort of like Hypothermia but with fruit and spicy flower.

I really like it! :)

I traded chaos imps with friends. These are both decants from their bottles.

Bottle #54

In the Bottle: sugary deliciousness

Wet on Skin: This reminds me of Skytyping with Chemtrails, but not quite as intense, and with a sugared raspberry rather than sugared lemon.

While Drying: delicate and girly; lovely

After a Little While: The sugary raspberry is still the main focus, but there is a softer note behind it - maybe vanilla? It reminds me a bit of powdered raspberry lemonade drink mix, but better. (A friend says it smells like blue pixie stix).

Later: The first time I wore this, it morphed like crazy. It seems more settled this time around. This time around, the final stage reminds me of sugared berries in milk. Yum. I wish it lasted a bit longer.

Bottle #54 earns a 4.5/5 on my skin. Hail Eris!

-----

Bottle #38

In the Bottle: This has a distinct similarity to Candles Moon (the blackberry?), but is not as biting or sharp.

Wet on Skin: This has the milk note that borders on sour, and a berry note of some sort.

While Drying: This is a lot softer than Candles Moon. The sour note is calming down. There may be some vanilla in here too - something a bit sweet.

After a Little While: A slightly sour milk and berry scent, like Candles Moon without the wind and wax. If this mellows in the same way Candles Moon did, this will be amazing in a few months.

Later: The sour aspect is back again… I think I'll let this decant age for a few months and test it again.

Oh Em Gee! This is baked resins with a slightly tart background. Sweet, powdery with a little fresh kick of lime. I think I want to keep this one.

This is #135. Kind of an odd scent! This goes on very much like a sweet, fruity creamsicle, and I'm guessing at the notes of orange, coconut, perhaps a little fig? It's as if someone took the concept of sweet fruity creamsicle and made it into an ultra-elegant, sexy sunset perfume. But as it dries, I find there is more to this scent. I think there is a very smooth woody aspect......or perhaps some kind of resin........but honestly, I'm thinking wood here, just a touch, like teak or balsam. Overall it's deceptive because it's like a fruity tropical sunset, but when you sniff up close, you find a bit of salty driftwood, something a little soapy that shouldn't fit in, but absolutely does.

To be honest, I don't really need an orangey creamsicle-y scent, even though it's a really good one. But on the other hand, the odd juxtaposition with the wood makes it really interesting and one of the better Chaos blends that I got this time around.

I got 115 and I love it so much! It's kind of like a really awesome grape candy, except I don't like grape candy usually! It's tart and ripe and tangy. On my skin it becomes a bit like an orange flavored Starburst, only deep and complex and sophisticated. Yay!

I got #75, which like 74 has strong apple and clove elements. Plus some sweetness, like lotus or something else that resembles bubble gum. Even though there's no cinnamon in here, it reminds me of cinnamon red hot candy and a bit of Zombie Apocalypse, but with apples and spice. Total winner - absolutely wearable autumnal perfume!!!

Knock your socks off sweet. Honey, honeysuckle, yellow roses maybe jasmine very yellow. There is a woodier base note too. Have to think on that one. It reminds me of New Orleans without the spice. It fills the whole room when you unscrew the cap.

On the second try I think that what I thought was a woody note is pollen...a big huge lot of pollen.Stargazers I think.

I really love this one!

28: I have NO clue what to make of this one. This is a tilt-a-whirl for the senses, that's for sure.

In the bottle, bright fruity sweetness with a hint of floral and a hint of anise. If Skittles were made by a gourmet candy company, this would be it.

On the skin, I get cherry and...what is that? Tuberose, or lotus, some sort of intensely sweet floral, and it's sweet and perfumey and oh-so-appealing.

Then all of that floral-fruit loveliness vanishes, and I get men's cologne. Darn you, men's cologne! You smell like Zest! WHY do you smell like Zest? You are supposed to be random, not crappy soap!

Then...all of THAT vanishes too, thank goodness, because "Zest" and "BPAL" don't belong in the same paragraph, much less the same bottle. Final drydown gives me a slight skin-muskiness, combined with a sweet and subtle floweriness and the tiniest hint of fruit. This has inexplicably become subtle and soft.

This scent is light and fairly unisex; it's oddly charming, but very light at this point (less than ten minutes), so it's off to swaps with this one.

Edited by Reedsong