Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Kitrona

Chaos Theory VI: Recursive Self-Similarity v7

Clear oil in the bottle.

On the skin: strawberries and vanilla cream? No.... orange and vanilla cream? Actually I think I can smell a bit of both strawberries and orange here, so.... Wow! :wub2:

This is fantastic!

Did I not review this previously? I thought I did. Smells like rich vanilla, (definitely foodiest on wet) and as it dries, I get a teensy bit of strawberry leaf.

Delicious.

Buttery cookie, a la Sugar Cookie. If you had asked me to test this without giving me a scent name/description, I would have said that this was Sugar Cookie.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I searched this thread for #118 but either no one reviewed it before me or I missed it. This one's been tagging around with me for ages.

Wet it's a very strong, sweet vanilla that's clearly got undertones that haven't come out yet. When it's dry it's got a roundness to the scent that made both my boyfriend and I associate it with cake-- a vanilla cake or pastry with a sweet, lightly spiced vanilla frosting.

I got # 122 in a swap.

Fresh on skin it's very water-esq, it also smells a little bit like Planting Moon. But given a bit more time, it mellows out and has a slight 'Tombstone'esq scent rise out of it. More time just gives way to a very warm musk. Musky vanilla with a cut of herbaly aftershave and a splash of sassafras? There's my best guess. :lol:

Smells a bit like cologne, in a nice way. I might see how this goes on the SO. :)

This one is a cocoa, sweet vanilla blend that is very much like Underpants.

The drydown is slightly plasticky, but it conjures heavy similarities to Underpants.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Darkly syrupy with almost caramel overtones. I can see the maple syrup comparison. That backs off on the drydown and I get buttery vanilla with a sandalwood base. Very foodie.

Buttery, syrupy, foodie vanilla.

Previously reviewed by cindirella76, venneh, and citizenbree

Oh man - I don't know what to say about this - other than this smells like bourbon vanilla SN. It's rich, almost foodie, vanilla. It's like the vanilla of your dreams. Smooth, tasty vanilla.

I don't know who sent me this but I love and hate you at the same time.

Vanilla #565. Very soft and sweet. There is a fruitiness that reminds of Tweedledee! I swear I pick up some honey, and definitely something light and fruity. I cannot for the life of me name exactly what it is but it is really nice.

Edited by porcelina

Soft, sweet, and the sort of foodie vanilla that everyone loves. I swear I've smelled this before. Celeste? This reminds me a fair bit to Celeste, sans the saffron.

So yeah, you get it, awesome vanilla is awesome.

This is one is a very bourbon vanilla with a hint of pink sugar. There's a creme brulee aspect to this one as well. Foodie lovers would love this.

This one is a more vanilla/less musky version of Lemon Sugar Sticky Bat to me. I get a ton of citrus (maybe more lemon balm than straight up lemon), and dusty vanilla to it.

Hello vanilla. This baby's strong vanilla underscored by musks and resins that lend to a rich buttery sophisticated vanilla blend. This reminds me a bit of Edith Cushing but more smoothly blended.

There's a strong foodie note to this vanilla, with an undertone of musk and a whiff of creamy white florals. There may be either some beeswax/honey in this because as it dries down, I get a 'honeyed' aspect to it. Good throw and wear length.

I received #22 Frankincense as a frottle today (thanks, Lab!) so here's my take:

In the bottle, it's a luscious thick sweet resin. The aging of this Frank has done it a world of good.

Wet on my skin, I'm getting an undertone of something that's helping the frankincense stay on the sweeter side of things with none of the sharpness it can sometimes have.

Dry down is the same lingering confusion I've had this whole time, because I'm usually really, really good at picking out individual notes. but then again, considering this bottle must've sat in the Lab for the last, oh, NINE YEARS, stewing in its own juices, I'd say I should be permitted my unknowableness concerning the exact breakdown of notes, suffice it to say that it's damn gorgeous and I will treasure this bottle for as long as any drops remain inside its amber depths. Thanks Lab!!! :wub2:

Got  #143 of the Frankincense series as a frottle with a large order. How to even go about describing this? In the bottle--a WHACK of resin, almost like bowling alley polish, with a floater of institutional white hand soap of the sort that the dispensers are filled with in office buildings, etc. On, wet: The soapy note unfolds into the most unusual dried white flower petals scent--still planty/resinous but perfumey also, with a sort of interesting background waxiness (magnolia???). Drydown time is relatively short, and a sort of lingering lilly/magnolia/resin scent lingers behind, along with the faint smell of..oddly enough--hot glassware coming clean out of the dishwasher. Unfortunately low wear length and low/medium throw. Very office friendly though! Really surprised by how delicate and complex this one is as the rest of my Chaos Theories (both perfumes and HGs) were much stronger. OTOH this has had 10 years to mellow out, and it did so very nicely! So glad I have this; I love unique editions!  Feel glad to have gotten this aged treasure out there.

I have Vanilla #167 . Previously reviewed here

Agreeing about the caramel & apples and want to add some chamomile to the drydown which goes quite well with the other notes.

Chaos Theory VI: Vanilla 464

(Notes from recip included vanilla musk, strawberry peach?)

Whoa trippy! Vanilla musk is way different than I thought it would be! From the first sniff in the bottle, it's a whole lotta vanilla put on blast by something perfumey and quite fruity. My nose immediately wants to translate this as plastic, but it's more than that; there's just some extra stuff in there that's coloring the vanilla, and I wish I was more versed in notes that could do that, but it must be some musk-type element. Definitely some fruity interpretations of things, not "fresh" fruit, but fruit syrup.

A pretty direct trip from bottle to skin-scent, except that once it starts drying down, the musk creates a really pretty wafty cloud of fluffy vanilla. It's very poofy, to the point of marshmallow, but only from a distance. Up close, like nose-to-wrist, it stays in that hovery-plastic realm for the first hour or so, with a trippy spice that I can't identify. Cardamom? Coriander? A weed of some kind? If I ever figure it out, I'll update. It sits staring down the "fruit flavoring" strawberry and the perfumey peach that's hanging out in the background thinking hard about what it would be like to be an actual peach.

This is such a strange, wild, cool ride. I can't decide if I'll keep riding it or pass it along, but either way, it's fun! 
Edited by starbrow