Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Kitrona

Chaos Theory VI: Recursive Self-Similarity v7

718: It smells like vanilla and plastic in the bottle, but when it hits my skin, it's instant absinthe and mint with a subtle sweetness, sort of like if Cathode and Absinthe decided to reproduce. As it dries down, it smells more and more absinthe-esque, with the vanilla fading to only a slight deepening note in the background.

Then, within five minutes, the licorice and mint notes vanish, and what's left is a very close-to-the-skin fragrance of a boozy vanilla, dried rose petals, and...lotus, maybe? I can't quite figure it out, but the overall effect is of freshly-washed, lightly floral scented, sexy skin musk with a slight but soothing rubber-y note. (You know the way that Luctor et Emergo, or a good pencil eraser, or Play-Doh, shouldn't smell good but does? It's like that.) It's fairly pretty, but too light and fades too quickly for me.

Off to swaps with you, my Absinthe-Flower-Musky Antique-ish Stuff. Someone out there is going to LOVE you.

I got number 533 and boy was I excited!! This is so damn sexy...suede and vanilla. Straight up! If you love Gunslinger Romance by Moxie Noveau, then you know what I'm talking about...fuzzy, sexy, mellow, creamy, and a touch of sweet...egads!

17 Rich and very foody. Vanilla, slightly nutty caramel, sticky butterscotch and rum cake. It's making me hungry! :yum:

509 I get a foody, less creamy Love's Philosophy. I'm getting saffron in here and just like Love's Philosophy I get a slight cool mintiness/wintergreen scent, with a soft bakery-like note that is almost nutty. It's like Love's Philosophy cookie. :)

400 This one is more complex. Foody but light. I get bright, sweet vanilla and light orange chocolate. The chocolate I'm getting is very light, a little nutty, dry, almost dusty and cocoa-ish. After a few minutes the orange or citrusy scent fades. This actually smells like cool (almost minty but not quite) vanilla and chocolate ice cream. It's a light scent, this type of vanilla doesn't like my skin, it reminds of the vanilla in Spooky.

94 This one is really sweet (almost candy-ish and syrupy) slightly tart fruits, and creamy vanilla. After it dries I get delicious sweet cherry (almost maraschino cherry) and vanilla. I'm also getting some pomegranate now, maybe a few more fruits, it's like red fruit punch. It's a very sweet and bright type of scent with red fruits (the fruits in here are a little artificial smelling) and vanilla. Reminds me of one of those red Starburst candies, with some creamy vanilla thrown in.

471 Sweet vanilla, soft, slightly powdery roses, a book note, little balsam and resins. It dries very sweet (a bit too much for me) and rosy, but after about an hr. the book note and resins start to amp a lot and the roses and sweetness fades. It's a really interesting and beautiful scent!

#545 ~ Rich, boozy and butterchotchy - really reminds me of Dooley's Toffee liqueur with (sadly) a very, very plastic note that I can even detect lightly in the bottle. On my skin it's all plastic, all the time. As it dries, some of the plastic fades, but it's still really strong. This is only the 2nd time I've had a vanilla note from the lab be so chemical like; the first being Snow White 2009.

I'm going to let it sit at least 6 months and use this as a scent locket since I adore the initial blast of toffee like goodness I get.

EDIT: Huh. I think the plastic is really a plastic pretending leather note and out of no where comes a deep berry note. I think a little more aging and this could be amazing on me.

#620 ~ This is beautful. Tangy, zingy citrus with a candy like quality. If you've ever eaten lik-m-aid you'll know exactly what I mean. The orange brightness softens and a creaminess comes over the blend. Something floral and ambery and heady comes out from behind and goes slightly powdery on me as those scents tend to, but the creamy, candy citrus wins in the end. I love this one!

Edited by sarandipitee

Unlike previous reviewers, I'm really not getting any bakery type vibes here. I am getting lots, and lots, of red wine. I can make out some spiciness mentioned before, but it's very subtle. I thought it may have just been my skin chemistry, but that's also what I smell in the imp.

Have a few to review so will start doing them as I test them.

#17 foody, butterscotchy, something very Red Lantern in here... but then the wholesomeness turns to spun sugar and it is very much what I remember Midway to be. I put it on 6 hours ago and it is still going strong.... Kinda love this one. Thank you so so so so much to my 2 enablers.

#24 in the vial: Pure buttery butterscotch. On: A creapy butterscotch with some spice to it. Very much like what is in 49 actually.

#43 in the vial: A refreshing, slightly aquatic butterscotch

#49 in the vial: vanilla gingerbread /purr Turns to a peppry spice.

#94 in the vial: fruity but milk based candies

#110 in the imp it's a green, sweet floral. On the skin it wafts a light lilac and goes a little babypowdery

#400 light and creamy butterscotch, my skin chemistry eventually turns this into a spicy black pepper with sweet creaminess underneath. Very intriguing scent.

#425 in the vial: sweet graveyard dirt

#459 in the vial: boozy butterscotch from Red Lantern. On: the vanilla comes out and it is a beautiful creaminess. Not sure how long it will last though.

#462 in the vial: grape and vanilla soda on the skin: TBA

#500 in the vial: Peppery and herbal on the skin: TBA

Edited by Absinthetics

In the bottle: it smells very lemony. I wouldn't say that it's too strong - more like cutting a lemon open and smelling it and the rind. There is a softness underneath that I would guess is the vanilla.

On skin: The vanilla has come out to play. This is a very romantic scent. The lemon is still there but it's blending so well with the vanilla that it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins. Definitely one to wear when you want to be a little more feminine.

I'm glad this one came my way!

Advertised as: The original owner said she got spiced vanilla, tea and some kind of floral, maybe some lotus too... reminiscent of magnolia and Southern florals at first, after 10 minutes of wear, more tropical florals reminiscent of the floral blend in Hi'iaka, without the ginger.

In August: A greenish sweet tea drink, bundled up with candy and a dash of spice. Glossy green leaves, a peculiar spiced herbal tea, with what smells like lotus and hard candy flavored with tropical/hothouse blooms. (My boyfriend said it just smelled like gummi bears to him.) Dries down and morphs: first to spicy tea and purple orchids. A creamy fuchsia scent with spikes of green spice. The tea aspect smells like Michelia alba leaf EO, not true black tea... sweet, but definitely greenish. The vanilla gets stronger with time. After everything dissipates after several hours, its virtually pure rich dark vanilla.

In December: This is aging pretty dramatically. The vanilla is getting stronger and richer and overpowering the top notes more now. The best way I can describe it is, it smells like Snake Oil on a tropical witch doctor vacation. There's a toxic jungle candy overtone but the dark, subtly spiced vanilla is really starting to steal the show. I will see how this ages over the next couple of months, but it might just be toooo vanilla for me. D:

Edited by findaghost

This is a strong buttery vanilla in the bottle and once on my skin a nice big waft of coffee comes out.

It's a caramel latte! :yum:

(not that there's a noticeable milk note, this is just what it reminds me of)

#519, previously reviewed by marared:

Very light colored oil, no layers. When I put it on, it's a blast of grassy greenery and berry, kind of like Rosalind but with a fruitier berry. As it dries down, it gets a baby powder edge to it. It's nice, and my husband says it's a keeper :)

#370 In the bottle, this is a foody, buttercream frosting. Dry, a smoke comes out, and I could swear there is a touch of leather here akin to the leather in Clockwork Couture Female. The vanilla and cream have faded into the background, but still provide a mellow sweetness to the blend. This really reminds me of Liz, a blend I'm not fond of, as I really don't dig smoky blends. I'm sure someone else will certainly enjoy this, though it is not for me.

Edited by milo

Vanilla, Bottle # 479.

When I sniff the bottle, it smells like Vanilla and Amber, perfectly balanced.

On me? Has anyone ever baked Amber cookies? That what this would smell like...nice, very nice. Sweet, but not too sweet. Throws and lasts as well. :) Good stuff.

#658. A partial from a decant circle. Previously reviewed as "fresh-squeezed lemons; tart and juicy. Evocative of hot summers with refreshing lemonade (but hold the sugar- this is more tart)."

I agree--nice and lemony, very little vanilla that I can smell in it. There's maybe a bit in the drydown, but up front it is fresh, juicy lemons with a zing! Just up my alley :)

Two decants to review today!

198: In the imp...vanilla butter-rum? Really?! This smells like the CT I want to get and never do...

On my skin, wow, I don't know what to make of this. An almost plastic-y buttercream, with a little taste of...what is that? Honeysuckle? Awwww! I think it is! I think I am actually holding a vanilla-honeysuckle-cream!

I think I'm going to get an unscented body butter and use this quarter-imp to fragrance it. This fragrance stays close to the skin and is rather warm and intimate. On final dry-down, it has a sophisticated, intriguing quality to it that's really alluring. :)

102: A vial of fruity goodness! I get a strong strawberry-vanilla, like someone took a handful of strawberry Now-n-Laters and combined them with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Once applied, it's nothing like that. Something really bright and sharp comes out, and I don't think it's strawberry, but what is it? Mango? Pineapple? It's something tropical and fun.

Fruit never lasts long on my skin, and as the fruity quality fades, a stronger, sappy-green-leaves-with-rose note emerges. This scent seems like Rose Red with a base of boozy vanilla.

I would never have thought that a mango-rose-vanilla would smell like anything worthwhile, but I actually like this. Only its strength - it's quite strong and radiating - may send it to swaps.

135:

Received a frimp from azurephoenix, decanted from her bottle! (btw.. she has the awesomest labels!!)

Vanilla and sweetpea with maybe a touch of cotton candy amping it. STRONG with tons of throw! Lasts pretty much all day!

The person I got it from mentioned grape/plum, but I am getting mostly sweet pipe smoke and an almost play-dough scent. It's interesting and I keep smelling it, but I am not sure where I'd wear it!!

I was graciously gifted this by Sunshine Daisy Bliss:joy::

Vanilla CT#180 Vanilla and fermented white grape juice. Tangy sweet, lightly boozy white grape juice with soft hints of vanilla. Not something I would wear...but it is lovely to try!

Vanilla CT 220: Barely there vanilla and something creamy. But it is barely there whatever it is. *sigh*

Vanilla #323

Seller describes this as 'lemon and woods', and she is pretty much on the money. I also get some warm vanilla in the background. The lemon fades on me after about half an hour or so, and we're left with a vanilla woody blend, (perhaps a slightly smoky wood) that reminds me a bit of root beer, though with muted sassafras, if that makes sense. Kind of like those soda pop candies you can get, the root beer ones is what this smells like. Sassafres is a kind of wood isn't it? Which would make sense as this being the type of wood that is in here. I haven't made my mind up about this one, I'm getting picky in my old age of bpal, :lol: and I have to love a blend to keep it. I do like this, especially how it is drying down, and will see how it settles over the next little while and make a decision then.

Edited by milo

In the bottle: Lime and amber?? :eek:

Wet: Amber with dry lavender. The lavender must have been what I thought was lime. Stupid nose.

Dry: Ooooo. Now I'm getting soft suede and vanilla, with some smokiness and a touch of lavender. I love it! It's very unisex.

Later: Eventually the amber goes a little powdery, but the suede and smokiness mostly keep that in check. Once the amber fades the vanilla comes forward and sweetens things up, but it's still very gender-neutral. The scent stays close to the skin throughout.

#631, purchased via LiveJournal and previous owner said the notes were vanilla and candy-ish. There's a layer (small layer) of something dark at the bottom which mixes in somewhat if shaken. Very Play-Doh vanilla scent to me. It's interesting! Not very sweet but slightly salty and vanilla-ish--like saltwater taffy.

Ohhh, this one is lovely, and of course, its in imp form. At least I did find a win, even though it is certainly not going to last that long! Im having a bit of a hard time identifying notes here. I think its a citrus cream, maybe orange, along with the vanilla. The citrus becomes less recognizable, which is why Im having a bit of a time with this. Its almost like a citrus fizz cream soda with vanilla, and a bit of musk thrown in. It kind of reminds me a bit of Joyful Moon or Under The Harvest Moon. Maybe its the musk. At any rate, its very pretty and not too foody. Ill definitely be keeping this one!

eta: Ive been asking everyone around here to smell my wrists, because I cannot identify the citrussy fruit. My son said it was like those green candles I burn, which is yes, honeydew, though it is more tart and not so sweet as other honeydew notes Ive smelled. I cant remember which bpals honeydew was a disaster on me, but this is quite nice.

Edited by milo

#1: In the bottle I just get a light hint of sugar. However, on my skin the scent completely blossoms and it's sugar heaven! I get Sweet Cream, Vanilla Bean Sugar and hints of soft, creamy Caramel Cappuccino and toffee (could also be butterscotch but it reminds me more of toffee). It smells like a Creme Brulee with a side of cappuccino and a shot of vanilla bean syrup and extra cream. :yum:

#98: In the bottle I get lots of milk and vanilla plus a hint of something fruity. On my skin the fruitiness disappears almost immediately and it smells like a soft caramel, vanilla bean and milky cream version of Boo.

#231 This smells exactly like XCDL13 without the sour alcoholic note. It's really quite beautiful and I am grateful to krazyanjel for letting me try it. :wub:

#201 Light gorgeous vanilla. It smells a bit like antique lace like antique lace's wee baby sister. Light, fresh, and powdery.

Edited by Dark Alice

#361(purchased off LJ: the original seller said lemony cake, MY seller said vanilla, banana and some unidentified flower.)

MY opinion is more along the lines of the latter although I'd say it's a green banana which gives it a vaguely lemony feel. Whatever the banana/lemon thing is, it's pretty astringent on first application; I can feel it practically spiking up my nose. Then, a flower/mystery scent comes out to play with the "yellow" smell and wafts (with spiky precision) right up the nostrils. Hmmm, maybe plumeria?

#428 Whoa, Ginger! It smells like a delicious spicy custard with liberal amounts of ginger!

Then suddenly, there's lemon. LEMON and GINGER with a soft base of vanilla. That's definitely my verdict. ;)

#632 I am completely and utterly thrown by this one. Plastic? Is that what I'm smelling? Wait no, weird-car-interior-smell! On my skin it's doing something weird! Uh oh. Maybe this is a suede note? I know leather notes amp/do funky things on me and this seems similar.

I'm standing by suede because my skin is amping this odd note (much like leather) and it smells leather-ish without the kind of peppery edge I always get with leather. It is getting spicier the longer is sits though. *scratches head* Now it totally smells like spicy leather. *headdesk*

Final verdict: (spicy/peppery) suede or leather. In parenthesis because it seems to fluctuate. :P

#641 Definitely some kind of floral. Delicious sweet floral. Lemony bloom dipped in vanilla sugar. :wub2:

#637 Some kind of nutmeg/clove/cinnamon combo. It smells like mulling spices and wee bit of vanilla! :) Exactly like the typical cinnamon/apple smell but minus the apple!

#635 Really well blended floral and vanilla in bottle. On wrists I'm getting lemon and some weird "Air" scent. Maybe Oud? It reminds me of Aelophile somehow but I'm not quite sure why. I'm not a fan, but judging by how lovely it smelled in the bottle, someone with different skin chemistry might sing a different tune. :P

Edited by Elliemental

#65: Vanilla and fresh orange. Mostly orange at first, with vanilla in the background. The orange fades after a bit and blends with the vanilla. It's not quite creamsicle-smelling, but it's reminiscent of it.

#625: This smells like vanilla and juicy apricot. I couldn't quite place the fruit at first, but the nose of a friend helped me sort it out.

Edited by Kaylee