Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Kitrona

Chaos Theory VI: Recursive Self-Similarity v6

Hokay. Low, low number of #49.

In the bottle, citrus and 'freshwater aquatic'. If I inhale REALLY HARD I can pick up a hint of frankincense in the very back of my sinuses.

Wet: OMGLEMONZ. Good lord. Lemon lemon lemon (water) lemon. Oh, and lemons. And maybe a hint of... bug spray. Maybe it's grapefruit instead of lemon... I often get that sort of bug spray thing from grapefruit.

Dry: All I'm left with is a (to me, somewhat noxious) citrus.

I'm not saying this wouldn't be amazing on someone else; one of my last CTs reminded me of nothing more than 'pot roast' and yet the gal I traded it to thought it was fantastic. Ah, skin chemistry, why must you be so fickle.

I just recently inherited Nachtwulf's bottle of #49 and here's what I got!

In the Bottle

Frankincense and...bay rum? It's very wet and there's something almost metallic in it. It reminds me of some masculine after shave, complete with straight razor.

On Skin: Wet

Frankincense is the forerunner in all of this, of course, and about five minutes in it starts to take on that wet quality again. I really do think it is bay rum, but the imagery that comes to mind is a sword being dipped in fresh cold water.

On Skin: Dry

About thirty minutes later, I started picking up something earthy, but clearly plant-ish. I want to say oakmoss. There is also something lingering in the background that has some sort of spice in it...and it's dusty and warm. Sandalwood? I suspect there's also a hint of clove in it.

Afternotes

Frankincense, namely, but the faint spicy wood dust lingers behind it. The wet and metallic notes are gone, as far as I can tell.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale, I would have to give this a B-.

Despite the grade, I actually like this scent quite a bit. Though, like The Bow and Crown of Conquest, I just...don't see myself wearing it. On me, it is irredeemably masculine and I struggle with the idea of wearing this often, if at all.

But overall this scent, to me, seemed very knightly. If I were to dub this with a name it would be along the lines of "King Arthur" or "Excalibur" because of the sacred resin, the almost regal feel of the scent, and that cool metallic scent... As if you were being presented the blade from the Lady of the Lake herself.

#103. In the imp, this is pink grapefruit. On, its either pink grapefruit or yuzu, but yuzu tends to go very cologney on me, and this one is not doing that, so Im thinking pink grapefruit. After a bit, I guess its the frankincense making an appearance, and man is this whole blend STRONG, and lasts which is odd for a citrus blend (for me). I am so enjoying this, as I love a good citrus (which are hard to find), and bonus, that it lasts. I find the frankincense is more in the background here, but we will see if that holds true with a bit of aging. Ill probably enjoy this more as a cooling blend on hot days, which are pretty much non existent now in the North, but hey, we may have one or two more!

Bottle purchased from another forum member. This is basically a dual-note scent, clove and frankincense. Or, I should say, CLOVE and frankincense. The clove is very strong and the frankincense is kind of an afterthought. It's possible there is also some vetiver in this, but really, it's all about the clove! Which I like a lot. It's almost too harsh, but I think this will work well for layering purposes. I already tried it with Slaugh and it works really well, although it does nearly overpower Slaugh. So, for layering, this bottle could last me forever if I just want to add a little clove to what I'm wearing, because it would only take a teeny little bit. But I also like it just on its own. It reminds me of both Smiling Spider and Egg Moon, a little bit.

Anyway, I'm happy with my frankincense Chaos Theory. I like the simplicity and I am a spice lover, so this fits me.

#130: Frankincense and a sharp citrus. Grapefruit? Dries down to mostly grapefruit, not a lot of frankincense.

#9: Buttery, foody goodness in the bottle. Has a brief, disgusting nail polish phase on me like frankincense is wont to do sometime, but then it goes away and dries down to a delicious spicy cake thing.

Edited by Kaylee

In the bottle it smells of something sweet, almost honey like.

Wet, it smells mostly of lavender (I think), slightly medicinal.

On the drydown, it gains in sweetness, the lavender(?) disappears, leaving place to a sweet, perfumey frankincense.

The previous owner said it smells of honey and myrtle.

Edited by Jupita

In the bottle, this blend smells like crushed Sweet Tarts. On my skin, it melds into this delicious honeyed tobacco with a touch of non-foody sweetness. It smells like nothing else I have ever tried.

I swapped for Alterosen's bottle -- #62.

In the bottle: Sweet, syrupy cherries.

Wet: A loud burst of floral. I'd guess carnation, but I'm not very familiar with florals, so it could be any number of them. It has a warm fuzziness to it.

Drydown: Gradually, the fruitiness comes out from under the floral, or maybe the floral drops back. At this point, it smells lighter than carnation usually does on me, and isn't going soapy, which is often a problem with florals. The fruit is dark, possibly black cherry. There is still a syrupy quality, but also something almost smoky.

Eventually, this has a smoky, metallic edge under the fruit and floral notes. It settles into a softer scent that I would have thought, almost a skin scent, then lingers a long time.

Wet, it's a bright fruity floral scent that might be champaca (I'm not at all sure, just basing that on one of the past pumpkin blends which is the only time I've encountered it, could be something else entirely).

As it dries, this changes into cherry blossom and then sweet, dark cherry fruit comes out to anchor it (ripe black cherries, not fake or almondy). It gets sweeter & more syrupy as time passes, maybe with a little bit of a cola note, too.

Pretty tasty, though perhaps a bit too sweet for me.

I'll have to dig out my decant of Suck It & compare - though this doesn't have a booze note, I think it might have a similar feel, especially once dry.

eta: Not at all similar - Suck It is much brighter & fruitier, this is a way darker cherry

eta: After about an hour, it turns into cherry blossom incense, hmm.

eta: Feb/11 - Trying it again, I get a little bit of a wine note, too, especially in the dark cherry middle stage.

heavy on incense note(frankincense), slightly sweetened by amber and vanilla. Not my thing, unfortunately, due to the metalic edge :ack:

Another for #12...

In the bottle: yes, frankincense, but also oddly fruit. And oddly sharp on the top notes! - oh god, it contains red wine, doesn't it. (Red wine does not play nicely with me.)

Wet: simultaneously cloyingly sweet and rather bitter. Red berries? I'm - sneezing over it, which can't just be the smoke. Yep, nose starting to run. Really unfortunate florals?

Dry: allergic reaction lessened but still not fantastic. Something burnt and acrid and cleaner-ish, not just frankincense. ... when LadyMedb says dry cheers, and Ondine says public toilet soap? YES, PRETTY MUCH. I am glad it's not just me who gets to smell like cleaning products, though I hope not everyone does! I bought this off the forum, from someone who has not posted a review, and it's clearly seen a lot of use - it's a little under half-full - so hopefully someone, somewhere, is capable of loving it. (The berries are coming through a bit more as I give it time, but life is too short to wear scents I'm allergic to. To the swap pile!)

I bought this from another forum member, but I don't remember the description they gave, or if they gave one. I just found this bottle and had forgotten about it.

Anyway....in the very beginning there's an almond note that comes and flies off in a flash. What's left is very soft spice and frankincense. I am thinking cassia and clove, but very light and airy. Maybe there's white myrrh or some really light resin (other than the frankincense), because I keep thinking of Egg Moon and Midnight Mass......but it's also like Eclipse or Eve.

This smells sooooo good, and I'm glad the bottle is really full because I honestly forgot all about this and I want to wear it a lot! Egg Moon has always been hard for me to wear, and this is more like what I wanted from Egg Moon, so I love it. It's going to be really nice and snuggly in cold weather.