Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Coconut, white sugar, angelica, and black pepper.

It makes me want to eat my arm. :yum:

I'm seconding "toasted coconut" and also "maple syrup". This is what people who can do brown sugar and caramel must feel about those scents.
It reminds me of Vietnamese coconut candies, and I love the toasted edge from the pepper. The sugar is ok in here, not tooth-achingly sweet, just edible and delicious. There's something fresh, and almost green, but only if I sniff the spot where I dabbed it on close.

I'm on an anti-sugar diet since Saturday, and I'm not sure I should wear this before I've been going steady without sugars for a little while longer... It makes my mouth water. :lol:

:heart:

In vial: gross hairspray scent

On skin, wet: hairspray and coconut, wow, this is really gross...here comes some sickeningly sweet note to make it tanning oil in extremis

On skin, dry: smells vaguely of a bakery and garbage with an almost plastic under note, even more tanning lotion smell, and ick, rotting maple syrup...

Overall: so happy this doesn't last too long on me...it's really a disaster...but in its defense, most of the butterflies and moths contained notes that go all grosstastic on me, it smells like someone is eating a rotting stack of pancakes on a melting plastic plate while putting way too much tanning oil on...this might have to be washed off soon, it's giving me a horrible headache!

Toasted coconut and spicy while wet; definitely a more foody coconut and less “tropical suntan lotion”. At dry down, the coconut dies down a little bit and the sugar and spiciness of the pepper and angelica come out. I like this one, but think I am happy with just an imp.

I was so sure this will be the one of the moths and butterflies that I will like the least, if not hate because of the black pepper :ack: and no idea how angelica will smell like.

Surprise for me, I snatched up a tester for this along with others just just to make it a complete set for testing and this turns into the best of the lot. :lol:

Just a tint of pepper in the background, melding nicely into the slightly sweet creamy coconut. Something in the blend makes me think the coconut is toasted, maybe the angelica+black pepper? :yum:

I KNEW this would be fine

got a bottle unsniffed and mmmm.. >>coconut and sugar :heart:

it smells a little like burned coconut on my skin but in a good way!

In bottle/imp: This scent is so odd. It smells to me like buttered popcorn Jelly Belly jelly beans and pepper.

Immediately on skin: At first I’m hit with pepper, than creamy coconut, then for some reason I think I smell maple. Then all of a sudden it just starts smelling like the buttered popcorn flavor of Jelly Belly jelly beans… it’s sort of sweet, buttery and almost caramelized, with a bit of pepper on top.

After a little while: This scent smells of coconut candy now, maybe a bit like macaroons. It’s sweet, creamy and very heavy on the coconut with only a hint of black pepper now.

Overall Impressions: If you like sweet coconut scents, you’d probably love this. I ache for something a little more coplex, even with the pepper. It smells a bit odd at first, but dries down to a lightly peppered coconut macaroon scent. It’s very sweet and smells quite yummy.

Thank you to Hillary for sending me a tester of this before it came down - I just adore her :heart:

This is such a gentle and unoffending scent. The first thing I thought of when I applied it is that this reminds me of one of my very favorite blends - Monster Bait: Underbed - there is a spice in here that is very similar. This is a subtle foodie scent to me - fresh creamy coconut with a little of the Underbed spice (grin) I'm in love! The only bad thing is that it's going to be a slather scent. ::plots how to stock up on bottles::

I am most amazed that I was able to find a coconut blend that I wasn't dying to own. :lol: I got a partial of this which is now being sent off to greener pastures since my body chemistry mutilated this one. Very sad about it, too, as sugars and coconuts and pepper and angelica sounded SO lovely.

This is quite peppery at first, but it's balanced by the coolness of the coconut: a weird but not off-putting combination. It sweetens after a little while, but it's kind of like sprinkling something tart over icy-cold coconut milk. Like lounging under the shade of a bar overlooking a beach. Interesting.

i really love coconut scents, but i think i do better when they are softened by musks or florals. this one was pure coconut on me-it smelled like suntan lotion, with a hint of paperiness, actually. it wasn't a bad scent, and because i like coconut, i might pick it to wear on a rare occasion. however, i rarely think i'd like to smell SO coconutty.

I've been looking for a light coconut scent and I loooove pepper notes, so I was pretty excited to try this one.

Typically, the black pepper is very strong when this first goes on. I like heavy pepper, so I don't mind this at all, but it dissipates very quickly and balances out with the coconut notes. I can pick out the white sugar while it's wet, but this soon blends with the coconut to create a general sweet, cakey feel. I'm not sure if this is angelica flower or angelica seed, but in either case, I can't pick it out. I understand angelica has a slightly peppery, earthy quality, so it might be contributing to my sense of the black pepper note. It somehow feels less austere than usual.

Once it dries and the black pepper note settles in, this changes very little on my skin, except to fade. It's sweet and smells quite like a macaroon, with an almost tart prickly note on top. Because the coconut is so sweet, it tempers the pepper very well and creates a unique scent that isn't as abrasive as black pepper scents can be.

On the whole, this is a bit foodier than I thought it would be, but I quite like it and it's a lovely summer scent. Sometimes it fades a little quickly, other days it has more throw. Either way, it's a relatively soft, fuzzy scent that seems to stay close to the skin.

In the bottle: Wow, boozey, peppery coconut!

Wet: more of the same, only sweeter. There's a bit of an odd caramel note, probably coming from the angelica.

Dry: getting a bit more delicate. It's like a Pina Coloda (msp.?) drink, only not as sweet as those can be. This could be a good summer or autumn scent. Too heavy for winter or spring.

I wanted this to work on me, but the infamous dusty BPAL coconut makes its appearance and just doesn't work on my skin. I thought this would be fuller and sweeter, but it's just dusty. Damn.

This one is coconut and sugar on me - it smells like a marshmallow. In a good way. It was oddly sharp in the decant and while wet, but soon mellowed into scrumptious marshmallow.

I am madly in love with Paper Kite - so much that my promises to all other wonderful scents have been forgotten when my hands almost automatically just want to embrace this fragile beauty

This is THE coconut scent for me even though i still love almost all the other coconutty goodies too but in Paper Kite I have found my current signature scent

In bottle and wet: intriguing mix of sugar and pepper with warm coconut behind

drying: still same though coconut becomes stronger and drier and not at all like sunoil

dry: sugary coconut with fresh herbal nuance that prevents this going too innocently girly - clean, happy and calm and just utterly amazing

Saving grace: Fortunately, the pepper doesn't go completely rancid on me (which it's usually very wont to do).

Wet: wet and furry, but not warm coconut + strong strong white sugar. Golden green angelica is notable as well.

Drydown: drier, of course. More pepper, making this a sharp, acidic, spicy blackened blend of coconut and sugar. The angelica has disappeared. Confused about this one. It smells like my biker jacket under a baking sun? Weeeiiirrrd.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the bottle - Yum, coconut ice

Wet on me - An almost treacly note comes out along with something a little fuel like, but the coconut is still the main note

Dry on me - A faint, lightly sweetened, but chemical scent

Overall - I think it's the paper that gives it the chemical aspect. It's a shame, but this just doesn't work on my skin

In the decant: I definitely get a zinginess from the pepper. The sweet side of the scent is almost citrusy.

Wet: Zingy light coconut. Not overpowering at all. I was afraid the coconut would be the “hit-you-in-the-face” variety.

Drydown: Plastic coconut. My husband thinks it smells like marshmallows.

Later: Light coconut cream! Very nice. I wasn’t expecting anything good based on what it smelled like right when it dried, but it’s pretty! Good for summer and early fall.

Paper Kite

On: Ridiculously sweet coconut with black pepper. Very interesting.

15 minutes in: Well, This has gone oddly sharp and kind of smells like rubbing alcohol on me. I wonder if my skin is having an issue with the angelica.

1 hour in: Rich, sweet coconut with a hint of pepper.

1.5 hours in: Sweet, slightly powdery, coconut. Pretty and simple.

3 hours in: Soft, sugary coconut. Dry and a bit powdery.

3.5 hours in: A barely-there powdered sugar scent.

Overall: I think this is really pretty (aside from the insanity at the very beginning), but I don't think I'd try to seek out a bottle.

Smells absolutely TOXIC in the bottle, but turns into a warm coconut on my skin. I wish this was richer. It smells "thin" to my nose. Some more creaminess would have been great.

Ooh. Very dry coconut. There's almost a dirt quality to this one. Not overly sweet and the pepper is a nice touch! Not something I need to hold onto, though.

Coconut and black pepper sound like they shouldn't go together, but I kind of like it. It's unusual, for sure. But the pepper goes away and leaves coconut to play with the sugar and presumably the angelica--but it's mostly just coconut.

Sweet coconut -- not the suntan lotion kind, but the foody kind. Sadly it's also the kind that turns into plastic on my skin. :(