Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Coconut, white sugar, angelica, and black pepper.

Slightly tropical coconut, but instead of milky, lush coconut it's dry and and rather dusty. White sugar sweetens it and black pepper adds spice and depth. The angelica gives Paper Kite a slight freshness and herbal element. For me it's hard to pin point the exact smell, but it's medicinal and chalky. It's a soft scent, long lasting and has great throw. After it has had a chance to drydown, the coconut really mellows out, and sugar and pepper shine through a bit more. I really love this.

In the vial, this is delicious. Could it be?? A coconut blend that may work?? Then when it hit my skin it turned to fizzy coconut. No fizz, get out of my coconut. Damn, probably not meant to be.

God I love this! It's so interesting :wub2:

The sweet coconut of sun tan oil with the slightest minty rush and a blast in the face of black pepper! I know that doesn't sound appealing to everyone, but this is one of the neatest BPAL I've smelled in a long time.

The pepper definitely calms down with time (I kinda wish it stayed intense :P). Anyhow.. this is AWESOME and my favorite of the Metamorphosis series

Wet, this smells like a very sweet maple syrup. Reminded me of pancake breakfast, which is one of my favorites. And this smell is SUPER strong on me. weird, right? But once it dries down and settles, it's just a delicate, light coconut scent. I'm glad i'm not getting any black pepper because that always makes me want to sneeze. This would be a great beach scent.

Bizarre! In the imp this was really sharp and astringent. I had this one listed as adistant maybe but I am pleasantly surprized! When I first applied, it was still very sharp (pepper?), but what wafted up was a beautiful....Maple? After about twenty minutes it was yummy, gorgeous coconut! Somehow it doesn't smell beachy on me at all, just hot! I asked dh what he thought, and got an indecent remark. :blush:

Anyway it's all win and I am running for a bottle of this!!!

This smells like waiting in line inside a Six Flags ride, one that has wooden hallways that are kind of damp and dark and they just smell old and sort of mysterious.

It also kind of smells like a coconutty version of Dark Chocolate and Pepper-Smoked Caramel. There's a hint of something that's almost like curry, something coconut, and that deep, dark, wooden scent too.

I can't tell if I like this or if it just reminds me of younger days.

On the skin: This one is kind of... astringent on me. Whoa! I immediately get a huge whiff of coconut. Ouch. Coconut is not one of my favorite smells. Eeep. This really hurts my nose. Not for me at all.

-ETA-

Okay, I have to admit... My prejudice against coconut made me dismiss this scent almost immediately after I identified it. I actually tried it again and the coconut is quite amazing. Unlike other blends, this coconut does not turn into suntan lotion! It is a nice coconut with a bit of sugariness on top. Overall, quite nice!

Edited by Catseyes

This one smells like super sweet coconut on me. Immediately it reminds me of a Pina Colada Slurpee: overly sweet and artificial. There is nothing to tame the coconut and the sugar note contributes to the epic sugary-ness. Even though I like BPAL coconut, but this one is too sweet for me.

In the bottle and wet, I get mostly the sharp, herbal/floral of the angelica, with some sweetness of sugar underneath. No pepper. As it dries, the angelica is taken over by the coconut and the scent warms and sweetens.

After 10 minutes, this smells like the powdered sugar-covered dried coconut flakes. Not fresh, milky coconut or toasted coconut. It's sweet and dry and definite coconut, like macaroons. Then the pepper amps up and adds some bite to this, the combination almost but not quite smelling like anise or cardamom... though it never takes over the coconut. After 20, the coconut and angelica make peace and the undertone becomes a white sugared dry coconutty-floral with the pepper dancing lightly around as a topnote.

I really like this scent. It doesn't read as foody to me once it is on for a bit, despite the heavy coconut. It's very summery, and the throw is decent. I love the pepper/sugar combination.

Edited by gypsyjolie

Wet it smells like a sweet coconut drink, very pretty. But the sweet drink vanishes completely and now it just smells like dry coconut.

:cry2: Oh Paper Kite. How you break my heart.

Actually, no, I take that back, it's not YOU. It's just your white sugar note. The moment you hit my skin it transforms into a bizarre singed plastic scent, turning a gloriously milky coconut & pepper scent into something utterly unwearable :(

ETA: Wait. Waitwaitwait. Given an hour to burn itself off, that miserable plastic char has vanished, & holy heaven :thud:

This is divine. Lightly sweetened coconut, not too unctuous, barely sweetened, with a nearly imperceptible brush of cream & peppercorns. Angelica is coy, hiding no doubt under the coconut.

Edible. Milkysweet, & totally lickable :yum: Worth the initial funk, oh yes.

Edited by tartchef

In the imp this is almost astringent smelling. Weird.

On my skin this is balmy and medicinal. The coconut doesn't smell a lot like coconut, it just adds a strange sweetness to this. Very very very strange.

This smells...OLD and just...weird. Like it's the watered down left over oils of something that really doesn't blend together. I'm sorry Lab!

:cry2: Very disappointing.

Sniffing the imp, I almost didn't try it on. The pepper was savory, and just didn't smell like something I wanted to put on my skin, at all. On, it stills smelled savory and not pleasant. The pepper is fading, but not quickly enough for me. :/ I like coconut, but this combination is not for me.

I am so torn on the issue of whether or not to get a bottle of this. On application, the black pepper overwhelms me a little bit, but it fades into a really awesome spicy coconut. I love coconut (and I love sun tan-y smelling things, too) so I'm digging it. It's not a perfect coconut scent by any means, but it is really nice. I think it'd be a great "hanging out at the beach" scent, when you want to smell sexier than normal.

Hmm. Paper Kite makes me think of Spooky (the old version, anyway; I haven't tried Resurrected Spooky, and I swapped my bottle of Spooky away many years ago, so I can't test the two side-by-side). I get coconut that teeters on the edge of plasticky, with a bit of mintiness in the background. The pepper keeps Paper Kite on the right side of plasticky for me. A lovely, interesting, and cooling blend!

Mmmmm, I love this! What a perfect summer scent! For just a moment, wet, the coconut was all, "shall I go plastic on you?" but then decided, "no! I shall turn into a lovely creamy, sugary coconut that makes you smell like a Mounds bar sans chocolate!" A hint of pepper on the drydown adds a kicky twist, and there's a bit of the "macaroon" note from Tarot: The Star (which I am still hoarding). I slathered this on after showering with Tiare flower bath gel, and now I smell like a tiki princess...not necessarily BPAL Tiki Princess, as I haven't sniffed that yet, but now I don't think I'll even need it; Paper Kite is exactly what I was looking for in a girly, beachy, summery scent. My husband said I smell delicious, and I keep huffing my wrist. Good lasting power as well.

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Wet, Paper Kite is very foody and for some odd reason reminiscent of Jack for me. I thought that maybe my decants got mixed up but now that it's been on for a few hours it is a subtle coconut and smells like suntan lotion. Dry it doesn't have much throw and I think it will need to be reapplied frequently.

Paper Kite is my favorite of the Butterfly scents <3. It's mostly a cool, sweet, coconut cream on my skin, with a touch of clean floral and a little sharpness from the black pepper that keeps it from being too sweet. I just love the coconut here. It somehow smells chilled and so refreshing and pretty, and it's sweet without being cloying or too heavy. Love it.

It smells simple on me, but really beautiful. I'll wear this one a lot over the summer. :smilenod:

At first, this is a menthol medicinal mint, which I'm guessing is the Angelica. As it dries, this disappears, and I get a slightly sweet dry coconut blend. This is very summery and would be great for the beach. I'll enjoy the imp while it lasts, but ultimately this is not 'me'.

This is really interesting, and pretty true to the description. I do like coconut, but sometimes (Spooky, for example) it gets a little close to suntan lotion on me. Paper Kite, however, stays a nice mellow coconut cream, with a little spike from the black pepper (I like pepper notes, and they reciprocate) that keeps it from being TOO mellow. I am happy with my bottle.

Fiance verdict: "Too foody. Meh." (but he's not a big coconut fan anyway...)

Wowsers, this one is freaky! Have you ever accidentally had your iron on way too hot, and scorched something cotton like a blouse? If so.. remember how it smelled? That's what Paper Kite smells like on me!

I can smell the coconut and white sugar struggling to come out, but unfortunately they just can't escape the scorched cotton smell. This is the first ever coconut blend to do this to me, so I have to blame the angelica because black pepper usually behaves itself for me. It could be the white sugar too, perhaps - hmm.. yes, maybe that's it. Either way, Paper Kite has earned a place in my list of shame as only the fourth ever BPAL that was so nasty on me that I've had to wash it off.

So on wet it is definitely COCONUT. The kind that you find in suntan lotion. It dries to a more realistic coconut, with pinches of sugar and pepper. The pepper really grounds this blend on my skin. I am still not a coconut fan but I find the drydown more bearable than on wet.

This one goes in my "nice but.." file.

It has a nice coconut smell but underneath there is a scent of something like plastic.

I already know me and sugar don't get along. I always get the horrid burnt caramel from ANY sugar blend. I was hoping this would break the mold for me...but it doesn't.

It's burnt caramel, toasted coconut, angelica, then pepper, in that order.

Yowza...I love it! Wet it is coconut and black pepper...swoon...as it drys it sweetens...the pepper goes away and the sugar comes to play...if you like tropical smelling drinks or suntan lotion, I think you will love this! I love it...more than Tiki Princess...