Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Touareg tea, Asian pear, carnation, lime sugar, green musk, armoise, and thyme.

I was expecting to love Luna but it's just... weird. Slight fruitiness against a background of mustiness. I can't figure out what makes this go so terribly wrong on me! I don't get any citrus at all, and it's very subtle.

I LOVE this scent, but it's going icky-powdery on me...so I'm keeping it for a few more weeks to see how it does if/when my chemistry settles down.

In the bottle, though, it smells predominantly like a cool lime drink with a bit of herbal & meadow notes, & some wet flowers. I really like it, but I kind of wish the Lab hadn't used the sugar notes in the Metamorphosis blends :/ Instead of sugar, I think a "mothy" smell should be at the opposite end of the "sparkle" spectrum, less sweet & more dry & celestial.

Still, it's pretty & I'll give it another go. I guess Monarch is off to ebay, despite my wanting to keep it for the bottle art alone! Damn, the Luna bottle is just outright beautiful, too.

Hmm, I loved it going on but the dry down is a little weird.

It starts off pink bubblegum and then morphs into pink bubblegum and yummy candied green herbs. Then the musk and lime sugar come in. It's really fun and childlike. I get a little pear, but it isn't that noticeable as anything more than a yummy juicy scent.

It sort of dries down to what smells on the surface to be a soapy floral. But, if you pull your nose up close you get bubblegum with fizzy lime and musk. So who knows!

Stunning. Refreshing tea, pear and sugared limes with musk and thyme. There are hints of carnation at times, and it kinda lends a spicy kick, but it's quite faint. Mainly this is sugared limes and pear. A perfect scent for the ridiculously hot weather we've been having.

Again with the sweetness, just like Rosy Maple... only this one is green-yellow fruity instead of rosey-pink. I immediately get the sweet pear. It's dripping pear syrup with some brighter notes. I found this slightly less unnerving than Rosy Maple, but am still not sure that I feel completely alright wearing something this sugary.

A very unwholesome tart and sugary scent. Might try again, but I don't have much hope for Luna and me. :lol:

Fun to test, though.

Hmm..

Wet: Got the same as many: lime sugar and pear but with a touch of tea.

Drydown: same but I can smell a bit of mugwort. It's a pleasant scent overall. Light, sugary, green/white color impression.

Wet: OMG this is foul...it's apple bubble gum. Plastic, pink, and green, all at the same time...will try to wait for it to drydown but it's really heinous so it will be hard...

Dry: Why do the scents that do so bad on me have incredible throw and lasting power? Whew...well, dry this is losing the plastic bubble gum and gaining some of the tea and thyme...but it's still a total no go...

This ends up a very pleasant tea blend on me. The sugar note I thought I wouldn't like hides in the back of lime, mint, tea and a peppery note, which I think is the thyme and carnation. The pear here isn't very sweet, which is great. The musk appears later and grounds the blend.

I actually got a "you smell good" compliment from this, the first time that has happened with a BPAL blend. I am almost thinking about getting a bottle on that alone. The only problem is that it fades really quick on my wrists. It's better behind the ears or in the décolletage. And it's best in the hot heat of Arizona where the 90 degree plus weather helped it along.

If you aren't having good luck with this, try to dilute it in a carrier oil or perfumer's alcohol. The other notes come out and last longer.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I was really surprised by how much I liked this, and wishing I had bought more. I actually don't know what I smell here -- I can't say I am able to pick out any one note, or even identify the melange of smells I get, but I like it! I wish now that I'd got more decants -- I was iffy about a lot of them, and they've all turned out well, so now I wish I'd experimented a bit more. This one is the front-runner, though.

Wet, there was a blast of carnation that quickly settled down. The pear and lime sugar were at the forefront on me, and as it settled, the musk deepened it a bit. The thyme seemed to curb some of the sweetness, but it was still pretty sugary on me. Overall, it stayed pretty light.

Lime Sugar and juicy pears, yummm! There is also a creaminess to it that makes it even more delicious. :yum: Actually, now that I think about it, this actually reminds me of Dole canned pears in heavy syrup … mmm, now I'm hungry. :lol: The intensity and throw of this seems to fade quickly on my skin, but I think wearing this with my scent locket will help cure that. :)

In bottle/imp: Fresh, juicy pear and lime.

Immediately on skin: This smells very green, in a very fruity way. Juicy pear and lime blend together, with a full-bodied tea note adding body. The base smells of slightly warm musk, and the whole blend is very fresh and sweet.

A few minutes later: The pear note has faded a little, and now this is more of a tea scent with a bit of lime, just a touch of pear, and a lightly herbal background. Still sweet and very pretty and fresh.

After a little while: This scent gets a bit more muddled as time goes on. It’s lightly musky with fresh tea notes and a touch of creamy lime. It smells pretty, but is kind of unremarkable on my skin now.

Overall Impressions: This scent was very bright when fresh, with that juicy pear note. However, after I wore it I started to feel sort of meh about it, as it started to smell less of a burst of lime and pear and more like a slightly fruity tea and musk scent. I imagine others may have more luck with these notes.

Everything about this is a beautiful, sweet, light juicy scent beautifully melding the lime, pear, tea, and sugar that I could absolutely fall in love with and wear constantly... except for that one extra note, which I'm pretty sure is the thyme. On me, this just doesn't mesh right and adds a much sharper, painful hit to it. Which is for the best, considering I'd only have a few days to order a bottle anyway. But still... *sigh* What could have been...

Good for wearing: When I need a reminder that most things in life aren't perfect, and come with good and bad.

This is such a cool scent at first, sugary snow with a hint of lime. After a little while, the pear ascends over the lime and the tea makes an outstanding appearance. This is so lovely! Like an lighter, playful Dorian, I think. The mint mellows the sourness of the lime, so it ends up being a sweet, fruit-infused tea. Lovely!

On me, I don't get pear, carnation, or lime sugar. It's just...kind of unpleasant weirdness, I assume from the green musk. To the "no thanks" pile with thee!

Hi there, thyme. I know we haven’t always been the best of friends. Try to pipe down and I think we’ll get along just fine here…

In the decant: Hmm. There’s a strong current of Bubble Yum running through this. The lime sugar and pear is doing it, I think. Thyme is behaving and not showing its face.

Wet: A bit limish. Still very gumlike. My skin’s a bit tingly, but I may have just scratched my arm with the toothpick I’m using to test. I really hope this one calms down a bit, because it’s promising.

Drydown: Eeee! This is drying nicely! I’m getting strong whiffs of delicious juicy pears.

Later: This is my favorite from the Metamorphosis series. I ultimately didn’t buy a bottle, because it didn’t last quite as long as I’d like.

In the Imp: Sweet and sour sugary green bubblegum

Wet on Skin: reminds me a bit of High-Strung Daisies… must be the sugar, because I don't think I can detect the carnation

While Drying: tea, gritty sugar, musk, a brief breath of thyme

After a Little While: The pear periodically peeks through, and has a bit of a sour note to it - with the sugar, it reminds me a bit of green sourpatch candies. Medium throw. Definitely green and sugary (occasionally green in the vegetative sense - the mugwort? - but mainly green in the koolaid/candy/etc sense where someone asks you "what flavor is that?" and you respond "green").

Later: I remember the pear being a bit more prominent the first time I tried this. The tea scent is taking center stage this time. I have mixed feelings about the tea, and the scent in general. I definitely like it, but something about it periodically strikes me wrong. The tea eventually fades back. The late drydown is lovely, sweet and smooth (but sticks skin close).

Final Thoughts: I'll be holding on to my decant, but I wasn't entranced enough to buy a bottle.

Luna earns a 4/5 on my skin.

At first, it's fruity--maybe peach, or something like it? Something warm underneath, a musky or sandalwoody or amber note. It's a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Now that I'm looking at the notes, pear is interesting and nice, but the sugar of the lime is really what comes through. The musk is really interesting, though. I wish there were more lime or thyme to make this scent's sweetness calm down.

About fifteen minutes in: Ugh. Way too sugary sweet on me.

In the decant: Smarties and Jolly Ranchers. Yummy!

Fresh on the skin: Lime jello. Sugary and light and delicious!

5 minutes in: Sweet and tart and pretty.

15 minutes in: Precisely. Really very pretty, and somehow sugary without being too sweet.

30 minutes in: Super delicious. Warming up a little, taking on a slightly deeper scent.

2.5 hours in: Faded down to powdery sweetness, almost laundryish but not quite. That was fast. Unfortunate.

3 hours in: Yup, laundry. Alas.

Verdict: Love the candy of the first hour or so, but it faded to laundry really fast.

One word: Candy.

Edited by jencallisto

Wet: wow, sweet. Someone said Pez, above--that's totally what it is. The sugar note reminds me of High-Strung Daisies as well, but this has a fruit backing instead of floral.

Dry: ah, there's the tea and musk. Sweet pear, lime sugar, tea, and musk, in that order--just enough of the latter to cut the sweetness to bearable levels. Okay, I do like this. No carnation at all, which is good, because it does Bad Things on me. This is a light green, fluttery, early-summer kind of scent.

Verdict: glad I found a bottle! it's absolutely worth it, after the initial blast of sweetness.

In the bottle: pear, tea, and the lime sugar mixed with the green musk.

Wet: a little sweeter than in the bottle.

Dry: this is a nice light summery scent. The carnation is not obvious, but it seems to be giving a nice depth to the scent.

Limeade with heaps of raw sugar and delicate Asian pear. There's a hint of spiciness from carnation, and the thyme and green musk are evading my senses but just barely. This is delicious and perfect for Summer. Going on the bottle wish list.

This could have been soooo good, if the mint tea lasted a bit longer than 10 minutes. It goes away pretty quickly, sugared lime and pear take over, and then carnation. Too sweet and fruity, it would have been better on my skin if it had the mint freshness. :huh?:

Luna

On: Sweet tea with pear and a hint of lime.

2 hours in: Faintly sweet.

4 hours in: Sweet and a little powdery.

Overall: This faded really quickly on me.

Mmm... pear and lime sugar. Wet skin, sweet still lime and pears but slowly here comes the carnation. Not bad but I don't think I'm a lover of carnations. Thankfully I'm not getting any thyme and green musk...well that could smell like anything depending on who blends it.

Wow, a little later and this one is practically gone. Didn't change much, I get most a soft scent of pear with a whisper of lime and then poof! nothing.