Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Victoriana.Goth

VICTORIANA.GOTH
English rose, lilac, frankincense, violet leaf, French lavender, and wisteria encased in amber and splashed lightly with a ghastly garden herb tincture.

This is surprisingly pretty for a blend made from three of my dealbreaker notes. :lol: Rose usually turns dusty and decidedly old-ladyish on me, but this time it stays fresh and slightly sweet. Maybe that's because of the lilac and amber notes? No, what makes this a no-go for me is the lavender which is very nice here (even though I cannot stand lavender) but it adds a dryness that I always, always amp. I am *this* close to being able to wear this, because the lilac and amber balance out the dryness but I can still pick out the dreaded lavender. Bah. Floral fans really ought to try this one!

This scent is what I would imagine a classic Victorian perfume to smell like. It's sophisticated, classy, and would make people think you had a ton of money. It is very floral, mostly rose to me, but the rose didn't go soapy on my skin which is usually how scents like this end up. I didn't detect too much lavender, but it's definitely there in the background. I think if I was ever in the mood for a floral fragrance, I would pick this one.

I haven't skin tested this yet, but based on sniffing the bottle I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I hate Wisteria above all other things except CILANTRO, and I could barely get any of that note. It was shockingly light, fresh, and floral - much more delicate than I anticipated, without a lot of headiness or darkness or too much richness as I fear the frankincense, lilac, amber would provide. Nor did I get soap or powder. I'm on edge for my bottles to arrive so I can skin test this one!

I tried this one out, and I was sort of pleasantly surprised. I gave it a try for the lavender (which I was hoping would fight off the florals) but alas, I got nothing. The rose was surprisingly well-behaved, and the whole thing was fresh enough that even with rose as my Note of Death, it never went into headache territory. It was sophisticated, fresh, and very pleasant, not soapy or old lady at all... but rose was definitely at the head of the pack, so it was not a bottle candidate for me.

Victoriana.Goth - I was scared of this one because of the lavender, but I shouldn't have been. This is a beautiful scent -- a traditional, English-garden type floral. It's not remotely old-ladyish or dated, though. It's really beautiful -- very fresh and pretty. I feel like I should be wearing organza and white gloves while wearing this fragrance. The florals are definitely the strongest notes, but they're tempered by the resins and herbs so they're not "in your face" floral. On me, the dominant notes were the rose and wisteria with the slight huskiness of frankincense and earthiness of violet leaf keeping the flower power in check. I really love this scent. It's one of the prettier florals and absolutely gorgeous for late-spring and summertime. Also, while it's not a heady floral, it's very strong, so there's no need to slather.

VICTORIANGOTH

In Bottle: Rose and violet

On Skin: The rose jumps out in this, as it always does on me. Not sure why rose has always hated me... but I am hoping the violet will calm it here because I love the Victorian Goth genre and the label art is adorable! But... florals are hard for me to wear... and the rose and lavender continue to amp. The herbal notes are very green and do cut through the florals every once in a while for a nice change of pace. I also smell a bit of the beautiful purple lilac and the soft violet leaf as they weave in and out. All in all though, it's a pretty sharp scent on me and is very powdery. Like most rose scents it feels a little bit like something my mother or grandmother would wear. I prefer to smell scents like this on them, not me. But I wouldn't mind using it as a room scent. :) Very strong throw and long wear length.

Wow! What a lovely fragrance!

In the imp, it was all rose, which had me a little worried because some of the roses can go a little sour on me. On dry down, the spices came out to play, as did the violet leaf and wisteria. I'm not getting any of the lavender yet, but I've only had it on for not quite two hours, and I've learned that these scents can sometimes shift hours after application. Glad I have a bottle of this!

This scent is so well blended that I can’t separate the notes, not even my beloved rose. It is flowery and dry, I get none of the ylang ylang and all the flowers seem to be tempered by the lavender. It’s not a sexy scent and in fact it reminds me of something my grandmother used to wear. For me that’s a good thing. It’s a comforting scent adding a tinge of nostalgia to my day. Beautiful and poignant.

My skin amps up rose notes, and this is almost all rose on my skin. It's a sweet, pleasant, creamy, dewy rose with a sophisticated, perfumey floral edge. It's sort of like a cross between the feel of Peacock Queen and Marguerite on me, but with more of a fresh, dew-covered feel than either of those blends have. I was hoping for more lilac and frankincense, but I can't pick out either of those notes.

This is a gorgeous rose scent, but I already have so many rose blends that go to single notes on me. I'm not sure that this one will get much attention from me...

A pleasant floral, without being too flowery. First off, I adore the BPAL rose note, which comes into play first. The lilac then appears shortly after, with a stronger throw than the rose. After about 5 minutes, I can detect a hint of lavender and violet. Not really picking up the amber. All in all, a lovely scent!

This is really pretty. On me it's mostly a soft rose- pretty much single note. It smells like a young Victorian English lady's rosewater. Rose can amp on me and get nasty, but this is not cloying or overly strong. It's a lot like wearing Smith's Rosebud Salve. It definitely feels old-fashioned, and I think I'd need the right clothes and occasion to wear it.

Wistful to say the least! I normally flee at the first indication of rose.. but this is great! (I can handle Zombi too but that's it)

In imp and first wet: Since my senses amp rose, it's sticking pretty strongly. I can tell there's wisteria & lilac underneath but not much else is popping out yet.

Drydown: softer rose with a touch of lilac and lavender and I can tell the amber is warming and sweetening what would be a screeching combination on my skin otherwise. ;) Very pretty and potential for a beautiful signature scent for some out there...

In Bottle: Light florals. Kinda smells like rose, lilac, and lavender.

Wet on skin: Lilac, rose, and amber

Drydown (3 minutes): I dunno, it's going vaguely soapy on me, but I can't tell if it's just because of the bunch of different flowers all together.

Drydown (5 minutes): Yeah, it's soapy on me. :(

Overall Impression: This one had promise! I was hoping for more rose, since I love that note. I thought if I tried hard enough, I would like it, but I'm no good with most floral scents. Alas. :(

In the decant: All the florals are present, but the wisteria is the top note, and that herb tincture is obvious.

Wet: The rose and the violet leaf are becoming more apparent, and the lovely frankincense is peeking out.

The dry-down: As the oil dries, the amber shows up. Between it and the rose, this could go a little powdery on me. At the moment, it's a very old-fashioned scent, or at least what I would consider old-fashioned. So it would seem that the name of this scent is rather appropriate. This stays true to the idea of a floral perfume that is kept from being too flowery with the amber and the frankincense. I like it, but I have a number of rose perfume oils already. A partial bottle would be nice.

It’s a slightly sweet floral scent. I smell rose and another floral. I don’t get lavender. It gets a bit soapy and powdery. The frankincense comes out more as it dries. I'm not a fan of strong florals but this is pretty.

Pretty! This is a delicate rose at first, but the lilac makes itself quickly apparently. Weirdly--but nicely--the other blends don't really appear for me. I don't catch a whiff of the other florals, and the frankincense is a mere hint in the background, a rounding note that grows over time, but not in a pronounced way. Overall, this is a very light and feminine scent, flowery and faintly sophisticated.

On the skin:

Hello, rose! This is actually quite a friendly rose. This is the scent of a rose product rather than a freshly picked rose. There is also a slight sour green hint that reminds me of a freshly picked plant. I think the sweetness of the rose is being supported by the amber and frankincense a bit. This scent really isn't overly floral, but quite well blended.

Interesting, but not my thing! The sour hint kind of puts me off a bit...

This has a few of my favorite floral notes so I knew it'd probably be a hit. Straight away it smells slightly soapy and heavily rose, vintage style. I particularly love lilac because of it's clean/soapy smell and this is really embodying that quality. I can pick the lilac out right away, as well as the lavender. It's a silky, gentle lavender without any astringent tang whatsoever.

Everything about this has a courtly, sophisticated feeling. it's very feminine and traditional to me. None of the florals smell fresh or green at all. They all have that worn in quality without being overly dry or musty.

It never fades to a powdery scent on my skin as I expected given the strength of the violet on my skin. The florals are staying very true. I do notice a bit of frankincense taking over as it wears down... sort of a dry yet robust golden incense. Maybe that golden sensation I keep getting from this is due to the amber as well. It keeps this from being too stiffly floral.

The throw on this is pretty strong--I really have to be careful to just dab it on otherwise I feel too enveloped in clouds of florals. It lasts a very long time too. I don't have to reapply this at all throughout the day. This is a one time in the morning application type of scent.

Overall it's just lovely and I'll be wearing this often!

In the imp: Garden florals.

Fresh on the skin: Indeed, garden florals. Classic and classy. Sweet, sour, bitter, green, complex, pretty. Reminds me of the powdery bath salts my mom used to have. Rather light for a floral. I actually quite like it!

2 minutes in: Feels a little strange on my inner elbow. A little itchy-hot.

5 minutes in: I think I'm amping the rose. Which is good in this case, because I like rose! Anything to keep the violet at bay. I'm really liking this. Light, fresh, sweet.

10 minutes in: I think I'm detecting lilac around the edges. Mmmmm.

20 minutes in: This is crazy pretty. Old-fashioned in the best possible way. Medium-to-long throw, a bit strong perhaps, but not at all headache-inducing. It reminds me of my childhood, somehow. Beautiful and nostalgic.

30 minutes in: Still pretty, still floral and well-blended, still sweet. Indeed, if it has any flaw it's that it's so sweet that some might consider it cloying. I still really like it, thought. The rose portion of the scent (which is a significant portion, rose is definitely the most prominent floral on my skin) sort of makes me think of Madeline and Katrina van Tassel mixed together. Nice!

1 hour in: Yup, classic light, sweet, fresh garden rose. Nearly single note at this point, but a truly beautiful one.

2 hours in: Still lovely. Might be a little soapy, but it makes me think of bath salts rather than soap, so that works for me.

2.5 hours in: Starting to fade and turn a little more soapy, but in an amber-y way this time. Now we're smelling a little like The Miller's Daughter, a scent I like a lot. Huh! This one's a morpher, I guess.

3 hours in: Yup, amber, fresh vegetable, light rose.

10 hours in: Faded down to a soft floral-amber-ish very light soap. Not my favorite stage but so light and fresh it's still rather nice.

11 hours in: An hour and a shower later, it smells like... laundry. Not the worst laundry scent ever, but I'm still not really a fan.

12 hours in: Faded, barely-there lightly floral laundry.

15 hours in: Tiniest bit left. Wow.

Verdict: I like this a lot! Really pretty and light and fresh, and I like most of the stages, even.

One phrase: Garden rose.

In the 10th grade one of my fellow classmates wore ENGLISH TEA ROSE PERFUME to English class every day after lunch. It was so strong that it made me sick. This perfume has created a nauseating flashback to that moment in time from my past! :sick: Must.Wash.OFF....NOW!!!!! :ack:

Rose rose rose rose... of course, I amp rose, so I sort of expected that. It's very Victorian, though, with all that rose, very evocative.

I knew as soon as I tried this at Bat's Day that it was for me. It's a beautiful sophisticated floral blend, just like pretty much everyone has said upthread. For me, though, I get this undertone of a swampy green mossy scent, which sets this blend apart from all the other floral soup blends. I love florals, but I tend to respond to blends where a specific note or just a few notes dominate and the others take a backseat. Victoriana Goth is extremely well-blended. The strange green undertone is what makes this blend so completely beautiful and unique.

All I smell is rose, a pretty and sweet rose, but I wish the other notes would be present as well.