Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black vanilla, Egyptian musk, Rožolj liqueur, and black cherries.

It smells like creamy vanilla maraschino cherry. It’s on the verge of turning to Playdoh while it’s wet but doesn’t. The musk comes out more as it dries and keeps this from turning cloying.

Ooooh. This is cherry and vanilla, dark and creamy and sweet. It's beautifully balanced--I expected the cherry to take over, but instead this is a wonderful swirl of all the notes. The Egyptian musk lends a great halo to the blend, making it sensual instead of foody. This is amazing.

in the vial almond!

wet on skin almond-y cherry, very thick, but also a little dusty.

dry on skin still a fairly 2 dimensional cherry, very similar in feel to bloody mary but just a little darker and sharper. pleasant.

In the bottle: Mmm, exactly what I was expecting. A little boozey, lots of cherry, and dark vanilla.

Wet: Oh wow, this is getting better. More creamy, but a little bit of spice from the Egyptian musk. Wow, I am impressed.

Dry: This gets really faint, but holds VERY close to the skin.

Overall, this is beautiful. A good one to wear around people who are sensitive to perfumes (in the office, etc.) Lovely blend.

Very, very sexy. I was never much of a cherry fan but this is really hot. It's not a foody type of cherry, and it's not sugary at all. Sort of sharp without being obnoxious... it almost reminds me of a blood note.

Anyways, it's all boozy dark cherry at first and then it just settles into this sweet vanilla musk. The vanilla note smells like the vanilla in Black Lace, which is so beautiful. I love the musk here as well. It's resin-sweet and thick. But on my skin it's not heavy at all. It's actually pretty light and almost in the skin-scent territory. Which makes it all the more fabulous since it seems more naughty that way.

All this actually smells much more complex than I'm describing but I can't hit it exactly on the head. Next to Loligoth it's my favorite of the Bat's Day scents this year.

In bottle: dark cherry juice

On skin: cherries and musk, yum yum

Half-hour later: still musky and sweet

In conclusion: instead of being a sugar blast with the cherry and booze, this is like oozing jelly deliciousness. The musk keeps it dark and anchored, and no plastic devolution like Suck It. Delicious!

In the imp: Straight bright red Maraschino cherry.

Fresh on the skin: Whoa. Warm, dark, rich black cherries. Plus something a little more... perfumey. Probably the musk combined with the liqueur.

3 minutes in: Ack. It burns, it burns! Probably because I'm using my inner elbow to test rather than my wrist.

5 minutes in: Still burning a little, tingling, almost itching, but it's fairly mild. The cherry part of the scent is almost gone, and now it's mostly a sweet, rich musk layered in coconut-vanilla.

10 minutes in: I'm not sure where the coconut is coming from. Possibly it's just how my nose and skin interprets black vanilla? Maybe it's the almost almond-y flavor that is said to come from the cherry pits in Rožolj liqueur? There definitely still is some cherry in the sillage, and I really like the subtle booziness. This scent is quite creamy and silky. The tingle has almost subsided.

15 minutes in: Black cherry cream soda, dark and not too sweet. The musk provides a slinky and sexy undercurrent. This is really gorgeous. Medium throw.

20 minutes in: OH MY GOD I WANT TO LICK MY ARM. This smells crazy delicious.

30 minutes in: Sooooo, the burning did subside, though the inside of my elbow is still a little... warm. But not even pink or anything. I'm sure if I had used my wrist it would have been fine. It still smells creamy-sweet-cherry-musky-sexy-dark-complex amazing!

1 hour in: Still amazing. Still medium throw.

1.5 hours in: I think the musk is coming to the forefront of the scent a bit more, and there's something at the center that is maybe a tiny bit plasticky? Or maybe I'm just afraid it's going to turn plasticky, but it isn't yet. It also threatens to start that tingling again occasionally, but the worst it gets is a bit of warmth.

2 hours in: Hrm. Yet more musk. I still like this, but not as much as I LOVED the black cherry cream soda phase. It's getting a bit... soapy. Though it's not a horrible soap. I am incredibly grateful this doesn't have patchouli in it.

2.5 hours in: ... That's a lot of musk right there. it's sexy musk. I like it. It's just. Strong. It has some soft edges, admittedly. And yet.

3 hours in: SO MUCH MUSK.

3.5 hours in: Delicious musk. Light, sweet, creamy, beautiful. Huh.

5.5 hours in: Yup. Sweet, pretty musk. Still quite strong.

6.5 hours in: Persistent. I like it. I'm not usually a fan of smelling like just musk, but this works for me. I think there's a little cherry on the far edges of the sillage, too.

13.5 hours in: Faded light, sweet musk, still going strong. I mean, it's faded a bit from 7 hours ago, but it's still really, really there. Musks like to hang around on me for a long time, I guess. This is usually a mixed blessing, but in this case I'm all right with it.

14.5 hours in: An hour and a shower later, this is still just about as prominent as it was before. Sweet, light musk. A little laundry-ish, but also sexy. Huh.

16 hours in: Ah, almost gone, finally. Rather lovely sweet musk linger.

18 hours in: Dear lord, I think there's a tiny haze of this left. Wow.

Verdict: I... I don't even know. A little too much musk for me after the 2 hour mark, but it's admittedly a very nice musk. And the early stages are freaking amazing. I think I see myself tracking down a decant or maybe even a partial or a bottle. Maybe.

One phrase: Cherry cream soda musk.

In the vial, this was pure WHOA NELLY CHERRY CHAPSTICK! On my skin, it seems to take a deep breath, stretch out, and relax into a dark vanilla muskiness colored with fruity sweetness. Wow. Other etailers I’ve tried always leave me cold with their cherry blends, but this is really pleasant, really attractive, and not ChapStick or air-freshener at all. I agree with the comment that it’s reminiscent of Velvet Unicorn, but Gothabilly is darker, the kind of thing you could wear while watching the fireflies on a warm summer night. Wow.

Mmmmmm, now THIS is a cherry I can love! Thank you so much GypsyRoseRed for sharing with us by was of sniffy circle. :D

In the imp: Definitely cherries, but this isn't a cough syrup or are-these-cherries-or-are-they-almonds? kind. They are deep, velvety, and sweet.

On Skin: This quickly mellows out and the cherry fades to the background, letting the musk come forward -- not a lot, but I can smell it. I usually amp musks, but here the effect is soft and pretty.

Dry: This lays close to my skin, imparting a subtle, feminine fragrance with the slightest hint of cherries.

Verdict: I like it so much more than I expected to, but I am most certainly going to have to track down some for my own!

argh! it smells so nice and fades so quickly!!! :evil:

*nose to wrist* I can't make out anything in particular anymore. man, I wish I had a full imp so that I could slather it on and (hopefully) bask in it for longer.

I do get some cherry and some incense/musk

*edit -later the same day I get the musky vanilla coming out more and it's niiiiice :)

Edited by Roogna

in the imp: it *does* kinda smell like cherry chapstick. lol.

wet on my skin: cherry, vanilla, and egyptian musk... i am in love. :wub: i could seriously bathe in this stuff.

30 minute drydown: it's official. i've found my one true BPAL. why did it have to be one i'll never be able to find a bottle of, though?! the cherry is sweet and sensual without being cloying, the vanilla rich without being too foody, and the egyptian musk is well, egyptian musk. it's perfect, period, in my book.

2 hour drydown: my only qualm with this is that it fades fairly quickly on me.

This blend does not change very much from wet to dry. This blend is a creamy cherry with just a touch of fizz. This really reminds me of one of the fancy sodas you can get here in Canada. I can't remember the name, but they have a clear cream soda that smells a lot like this. This is also very reminiscent of Velvet Unicorn, Plastic Pink Flamingo. I sure wish I got the Egyptian musk, as it would make this blend much more wearable as right now, it is just too sweet and foody for me.

Unfortunately this has a type of vanilla that smells like plastic on me. Because I get the cherries and the vanilla plastic and I can't shake the 'Barbie doll' connotation in my mind.

Made.of.fail

Hmm. So I do really like this, I just wish it was something other than black cherries. This is one of those that I like at first sniff, but after I try it out for a bit, it sort of loses its wow factor. The cherries remind me of cough syrup or an artificially sweetened candy -- maybe like cherry coke, actually? Which I love, don't get me wrong, it's just not my favorite thing to wear as a perfume.

I love cherry scents, so I had a feeling this was going to be win for me. What I mostly get from this is cherry with some vanilla, but it's not an overly foody, tart, or artificial cherry. It's more of a smooth, creamy, sophisticated cherry. The scent becomes even more creamy and lovely after the dry-down, and even though it is a somewhat close scent, I like it more the longer it's on.

I don't really detect the other notes (and luckily not the liquer), or at least can't pick them out, but they keep the scent grounded, and stop it from becoming a cherry pie or maraschino cherry scent. Gothabilly is pure love for me. So sad that bottles of this cannot be easily acquired. :cry2:

Ok, colour me shocked that I like this so much. I'm not normally one for anything "fruity" but the combination of vanilla and musk really add depth to the cherryness of this scent. It's creamy and not too sweet, and not overtly foody either.

So, I'm super thrilled that I was gifted with a little tester of this. At first sniff it smelled like lush, juicy black cherries -- it was amazing.

Once it was on and dried down, however, it turned into single note: coriander. We hates it, the coriander. We hates it. It ruins perfectly good beers and now this. Blech. (I believe this is known as "dodging a bullet".)

Wait, on second sniff, it dries down to slightly sweet, a bit vanilla coriander. Not quite single note. Still.

This reminds me of a cherry cough drop I used to use as a kid (wish I could remember which ones ... maybe sucrets). Anyway I loved them so it's no surprise I love Gothabilly!

In the bottle, it's a delicious syrupy cherry. There's nothing cough-medicine about this cherry, even with the cherry liqueur note. On my skin, it's a very subdued cherry vanilla. It's what I hoped Blood Kiss would be (pesky vetiver), but not nearly as strong...or the cherry in one of those cherry cordials...aaand Cherry Chap-Stick. The vanilla gets a bit plasticky on the dry down, but I finally start to smell the Egyptian Musk. All in all, I wish it had more sweetness, throw, and lasting power.

In the bottle: Black cherries, hint of booze.

Wet on skin: Cherry liqueur, the distinctive scent of Egyptian musk.

Dry on skin: A lovely Egyptian musk with hints of vanilla and of cherry liqueur. Oh yum!

Final thoughts: What a beautiful scent! A love at first sniff, Gothabilly and I are perfectly happy in musky cherry harmony. The musk really comes out on my skin and lets the cherry, vanilla and liqueur give it depth. I think this is the best cherry scent I've even tried. Even though it stays close to the skin, it's beautiful! I wish I could afford another bottle (or 10).

Try if you like: Ghoulish (less cheries, more almond)

I had the opportunity to purchase this from Venneh, here's a big :glomp: for everything!

Ok, I made the same mistake I always make when I get a BPAL package, I rip it open and go right to testing! :nono: In the bottle, this is marzipan, no maybe the marischino, or something like marzischino I guess....I put just a dab on the wrist and I instantly get the cherry tootsie pop smell that has been spoken of. It's pretty dead-on, but then it is gone, in no time! 20 seconds, the scent has now shifted to musk ~ just musk ~ all musk. Hmmmm. I remind myself that Gothabilly just came from the mailbox, she's cold, she's just had a long journey. So she's allowed to rest for a while...

Three days later, freshly showered, which scent to pick....let's try Gothabilly now....This time I get the liberty to slather, as I love to do, and I hit all the right spots with the clear, sweet oil. This time, tootsie pop is back and I just pulled it from my mouth, it's right under my nose! Mmmm it has a very slight creaminess to it and this goes on for a good 20 minutes and THEN the musk comes to the party and it is now the most sexiest sucker I've ever tasted! My tootsie pop smells like I've stuck it in some very naughty places! :shhh: This is soo awesome, and it is wafting all up in my face, the throw is surprising me, usually sweet or foodies have little throw from me. But, I find myself paralyzed on the couch, not wanting to move, I might happen to stir this beautiful cloud around me. :wacko: This time, the cherry fades slowly away, leaving a long lasting musk scent that hangs close to my skin. I am so in ~love~ with my Gothabilly, it is everything I wanted it to be and I will wear this on special occasions, when I want to escape everything in a loving scent coma. :wub2:

first impression: sweet and rugged at the same time, the sweet is foodie but whatever it is paired with is decidedly not, so that saves it from foodie. Later: the musk is fading and the vanilla is STRONG. I can detect cherry now that I know it is there but it's work to find it. Like this, but can survive without it.

When I first put it on it was fairly strong on cherries, but most cherry blends are. I let it sit for a while, and it turned into a very lovely combination of vanilla and a soft musk, with a slight cherry overtone. Nice! Much nicer than cherry blends usually are on me.

Sadly, it is very faint on me. I can barely smell it, and I used more than the usual amount of oil for a test. I think this is one of the rare BPALs, and since it's not an absolute winner for me (because it's not strong enough), I don't feel like I need to hunt down a bottle. If it were stronger, though -- look out. I'd be all over it.

Origin:

Tester from a lovely forumite. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I'm curious about Gothabilly (and I'm glad I get to try it) but I don't really expect it to work for me. Cherry is one of those notes that essentially never works for me. I like the smell of cherries, I just don't generally want to wear them as perfume, plus they can smell like almond to me. I hate almond. I'm also not overly fond of black vanilla in spite of liking most other types. About the only "safe" thing here is Egyptian musk.

First sniff:

Sweet, dark, almost velvety cherry and dark vanilla. It's sweet but not quite syrupy. This really shouldn't appeal to me, but I'm kind of liking it, strangely enough.

Wet on skin:

Same as in the tester, with maybe a little more vanilla.

Dry down:

Apparently Gothabilly is one of those rule-breaker BPAL scents, the ones that shouldn't work but do anyway, because I'm really liking this. :eek:

Once it dries, I end up with black cherry liquer (it doesn't smell boozy exactly, but it has that almost syrupy quality that liquers tend to have, without being cloying), smooth, dark vanilla and a touch of musk. I smell edible in a sexy way. This isn't an innnocent, fun gourmand scent. It's grown-up and a little dark and more sensual than it is foody. :yum:

This is a strong scent on me. I put on a little dab and went outside to get the mail and could smell it wafting up from my wrist when a breeze hit it. Which is good since it means that my tester will last longer than it would otherwise.

The bottom line:

A surprise winner. I've never encountered a cherry scent that worked on me before. Combine that with the fact that there's black vanilla here and there's plenty of reasons why I should dislike Gothabilly. But it works. It's not something I'd wear every day, but I feel sexy in this and there's definitely a place in my collection for something like that.