Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

Hello. I've known about bpal for several years but have never tried any scents. There are so many it's very overwhelming!

Here's my attempt at some recommendations:

Blueberry Picking: Sun-warmed, slightly squishy blueberries plus overgrown grass, overgrown honeysuckle, overgrown lavender, overgrown lemon verbena, and a smattering of un-pulled weeds.
Butter Rum Cookie: Rum-soaked brown butter cookies, crusted with sugar, soaked in almond and garnished with orange rind and pummeled pecans.
The Haunted Beach: Pale, moonlit musk, sea salt, and ambergris.
Mouse Circus: A toodle oodle of pink cotton candy noses, vanilla spun sugar fur, scattered kernels of popcorn, and a touch of polished golden wood.
New Orleans: Reminiscent of hothouse blooms on a humid night, ripe, but touched with decay. Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice.
Plunder: The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.
Waiting: Lilith at the window, waiting for her father. Raindrops and asphalt, lavender, pale musk, and white oudh. (Because rain-wet pavement is the best I-love-and-miss-the-city smell I can think of.)

Here's my attempt at some recommendations:

/quote]

These all sound great. I've only heard of a couple of these, so it was nice to see/read about new to me ones. You really did a wonderful job recommending based on my post. I've spent these last few days reading reviews on all of them and have decided to get them all, someway somehow. Thanks so much!

Edit: I really don't know how I messed that quote up but I'm blaming my mobile device :D

Edited by Toast

I'm not new to BPAL by any means, but I'm looking to try some more obscure scents that would fit my look/personality!

I'm female, 19 years old, originally from Vancouver, Canada, and currently studying Finance/Business Analytics (with a minor in French) in Philadelphia. I'm planning to work in equity research or investment banking in NYC after graduating, but my dream is to get a finance-related job in the fashion industry someday. I'm a textbook ENTP, and my astrological signs are Leo sun, Aries moon, and Scorpio rising.

I'm 5'6, have a very waiflike figure, delicate features, grey-blue eyes, and long blonde hair. My favorite colors are black, grey, pink, and blue. My style is quite Scandinavian, minimalist, and chic, and I own way too many turtlenecks. I love very feminine and pretty things but I'm an '80s/'90s goth kid at heart (see username). I also love exploring nature, yoga, skiing, and being in the water. I knit when I'm stressed.

A lot of people tell me that I seem cold and intimidating at first glance - I have a really bad case of resting bitch face. I'm definitely an extrovert, but I tend to be a little more reserved in larger groups or when meeting people for the first time. I'm quite competitive and ambitious, but too down-to-earth to be a typical "Type A". My friends usually describe me as hilarious, easygoing, and very loyal. I love to go out and party, but I have chronic fatigue due to a few autoimmune disorders, so I'm very big on self-care.

BPAL-wise, I love youthful, fresh, feminine scents that aren't too mature or floral. Aquatics and unisex blends also work very well on me. I'm not too keen on anything oriental or "warm". My top 5 right now would probably be Blossoming Vulva, Skadi, In The Wild North, Talvikuu, and Blood Popsicle.

I'm so curious to see what you guys make of me :P

I put myself up for scent-profiling years ago in my twenties, and thought I'd come back to it to see how much the scent-recs would change to match how I've changed?

Basics:  

35 y/o cis female gemini Bisexual Disaster with PCOS and combined-type ADHD, single and supporting my disabled mother.  I work in a call center, I like Shakespeare, historical romance novels, mythology, history, and Fandom, but rarely have the energy for a whole lot these days between working 12-hr shifts and coming home to play reluctant housekeeper and chef on top of that.  

In short - I'm your typical first-world adult woman.  Yay?

When I do have the energy, I read horoscopes for fun even though I know astrology is bullshit, pay more attention to politics than is even remotely healthy.  Warren 2020, y'all.  I love history documentaries on Netflix and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.  Am still the kind of person who packs her reading tablet (yay technology!) and music wherever she goes, but often forgets her keys and debit card.  Current fandoms include: xianxia novels by MoXiang TongXiu, Yuri!!! On ICE, Marvel/MCU, Voltron, and Captive Prince.  My AO3 history will send me straight to Hell even before they find out I'm not religious.  

Dark sides of my personality include severe depression, anxiety, shyness, perfectionism, brutal self-criticism, rejection-sensitive dysphoria and executive dysfunction.  Am coping, but the struggle is real.  I over-think everything to death (partly b/c ADHD means my brain never shuts up) and am slow to adapt to change.

Body type:
5'8", fat (using as a simple descriptor, not an insult or cry for reassurance), dark dishwater blonde, medium gray-blue eyes, pale af, cool-skinned.  Classic PCOS body type.

Style:
I can't really afford much in the way of style.  I wear polos and pants to work every day b/c dress code, and that's gotten to where it's basically 95% of my wardrobe.  I don't have the patience to do shit with my hair beyond chopping it off 1-2x/year, and I avoid makeup like the plague b/c I also don't have the patience for it.  I still wear shit-tons of black for practicality's sake b/c I have to mix and match literally everything, when I get the chance to wear colors I like cool colors more than anything else.  Warm colors make me look sickly.  Have relaxed a little bit about wearing prints, but I still hate wearing logos.  I don't paint my nails anymore b/c I have lost the patience for it.  I keep them trimmed/bitten down as short as possible without it being painful.

My taste in fragrance runs toward the floral and aquatic and spicy.  Mortal enemies include any patchouli at all, super-powerful wood scents, and "earth" fragrances.   I'm an air sign, what can I say?

I love feminine fragrances in theory, but almost never end up wearing them b/c I feel like they don't fit me.  Ditto with over-the-top "sexy" scents.  I'm  not a fan of gourmand perfumes, though I don't mind certain gourmand notes like vanilla and spice mixed in with other non-gourmand notes.  Am open to more gender-neutral scents (and actually looking for recs) b/c I'm wondering if they may be a better fit.

That's about all the relevant stuff I can think of.  Anyone who wants to know more is always welcome to ask.

lavenderfrost, the first thing that popped into my head from your description was Belle Vinu.  The dutiful daughter, always putting others first.  Red sandalwood, vanilla, rosewood, osmanthus, and white peach.  Floral but not too floral.  I haven't worn this much but remember liking it a lot (I'm also a gemini, which for me takes the form of wanting to try everything but rarely settling in to wear what I have)

Along the same emotional lines, but in a Shakespearean vein, you might think of Cordelia.  The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.  I haven't tried it in a while but I don't remember the cedar being strong.

Still in your beloved Shakespeare, some of the more unisex males might suit you:  Othello sounds up your alley, rose, musk and spices, and Lysander is very nice, Lilac musk, tonka, wood violet, and urbane lime rind, with a Venus-kissed tangle of myrtle, blackberry leaf, and benzoin.  (Whitechapel is in a similar vein on me, if you like lime.)

White Rider I think of as cool and pale (white leather and sandalwood), and Black Rider might match your black wardrobe (Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber).  Both are gender neutral.  

I'm jet lagged -- just got home from a week out of town.  I'll think about this more and check in again soon.  Do you like Shungas? 

Lucchesa - wow, thank you!  You're certainly welcome to revisit later when you're not so tired.  I'm no stranger to exhaustion, myself.  And I'm pretty much open to anything, though it'd be nice to have recs that are at least somewhat easy to obtain. 😅 

Hi there! I just discovered BPAL recently. I love how crazy huge and diverse the catalogue is, and how much thought goes into the descriptions and inspiration behind each blend. The aesthetic is great and it really gives me hope that I could find something I love.

I'm not terribly experienced when it comes to fragrances. Over several years of sampling commercial perfumes, I've had a really hard time finding any scent that really clicked and made me go, "this is me!" Even when I encountered notes I liked, there would be something else that threw me off. :[

About Me

I'm mid 20s, INTP, aroace female (but not feminine). Ravenclaw. My favorite animals are birds and cats. I'm perfectionist about my interests, and extremely laid back about anything else. I enjoy drawing and online gaming. I want to understand the world and conduct myself truthfully. Clarity of mind is precious to me. My friends pretty much unanimously describe me as quiet and rational. I probably seem aloof because people mostly leave me alone, which is perfectly fine with me!

My preferred visual aesthetic is androgynous dark mori, with minimal makeup. I wear mostly black and grey, with a glint of gold and jewel tones to break things up. I have long black hair. I'm very pale and cool-toned. I like nature - forests, mountain paths, and Japanese gardens. My favorite seasons are autumn and winter.

Scents

• Spicy, gourmand and fruity notes are delicious to smell but generally too sweet for me to actually wear.
  • I'm not sure whether I dislike synthetic violet or all violet in general, but violet seems to be a dead note for me. Florals are also generally too feminine or give me a headache.
  • I like the scents of crisp clean cotton, books, and wood. (I got a wooden closet recently and just can't resist sticking my head in there to smell it sometimes!) 
  • I've tried more unisex fragrances, but find them to lean too masculine or lacking any sweetness/softness whatsoever.

Thanks for reading! would love any recs :D

On 4/2/2019 at 12:00 AM, lavenderfrost said:

Lucchesa - wow, thank you!  You're certainly welcome to revisit later when you're not so tired.  I'm no stranger to exhaustion, myself.  And I'm pretty much open to anything, though it'd be nice to have recs that are at least somewhat easy to obtain. 😅 

lavenderfrost, I have a few more ideas.   Part of my limitation is that two of the classes of scents you prefer, floral and aquatics, I wear rarely and almost never, which means i'm less help there than I might be.  But there are certainly aquatics that are less feminine.  Y'Ha-Nthlei is the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris. Lightning and Sea of Glass might be good options too.  The piratey scents often combine aquatic notes with spices, and are unisex, like Jolly Roger, Mary Read and Calico Jack; Plunder skips the aquatics and goes straight to the spices (so I can wear it). Chimera is a lovely, unisex spice blend too, though some people get skin sensitivity with it. In theme Chimera might embody some of your own shape-shifting, from work to caregiver to myth/history lover.  The Raven is a floral that might be considered unisex.  If you don't hate vetiver, Highwayman might jive with your love of the historical novel.  You might look at the RPG blends, too:  I love Elf and Bard best, but read through the descriptions and see if there are any that resonate with you.  They are all gender neutral IMO. 

I also would love for you to look at the Conjure Bag, given what you've listed in the dark side of your personality.  I find any BPAL that I click with to be mood-boosting and confidence-bolstering, but there are specific blends there aimed at combating some of the things that ail you.  Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo (juicyfruit sweet).  Has No Hanna & High John the Conqueror (both too floral for me, but you might like that).  Van Van (one I like a lot).  Water of Notre Dame (I got lilies but that's one of the florals I wear).  Wolf's Heart (dragon's blood).  You might find something there that helps your soul as well as making you smell fabulous.  Good luck!  

On 4/8/2019 at 9:49 PM, Janis said:

Thanks for reading! would love any recs :D

Janis, for you and your love of clarity, I would suggest trying some very simple blends.  Some of my favorite GCs have only two ingredients.  Haunted (Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk).  Sloth (vetiver over black myrrh).  Penitence (Frankincense & Myrrh).  I think of these all as dark and cool in tone as well, as you describe your wardrobe and demeanor, but a warmer version might be The Lion (A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious) for the "glint of gold" you wear.  Your rational thought processes also suggest that you might enjoy Sherlock Holmes (A fastidiously clean scent, with a dash of pipe and cigarette tobacco. Faintly beneath, you catch the fragrance of a smear of greasepaint, a stray horsehair, and a whisper of Moroccan leather and rosin.)  And Wensleydale is An immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton (unimpable GC, Good Omens).  Finally, Veritas seems to fit your personality well:  The essence of honesty, integrity, and veracity: frankincense, white carnation, angelica, chamomile, and heliotrope.

There are a lot of wonderful outdoor scents to evoke forests, mountain paths -- see this year's Shunga crop in Lupercalia for the Japanese gardens.  Elf, Druid and Ranger in the RPG blends.  Thanatopsis, Black Forest, Jersey Devil, Robin Goodfellow, Theoi Nomioi (unimpable, in the activism section).  This Is Your Wilderness from Only Lovers Left Alive.  Golden Priapus and Antikythera Mechanism might be too sweet for you, but they're certainly unisex scents that don't lack sweetness/softness.  I hope some of these suggestions feel reasonable to you.  

Edited by Lucchesa

On 4/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, Lucchesa said:

My first BPAL order just arrived this week (blind buy of a couple imps whose descriptions appealed to me) including Penitence, which had caught my eye from very early on, and my current favorite - Vial of Holy Water. Definitely going to check out some of these recs in my next order, thanks so much! 💖

Hey there! I'd like to give this a go :)

I'm a 26 year old cis female, and a winter solstice baby. Fall and winter are my favourites, with hot tea, cozy sweaters and blankets. I love animals, both in person and watching documentaries. Frenchies are my favourite dog because of their cute hilariously large ears. I love comedies, and laughing in general. I'm an introvert, I hate large crowds, and social situations tend to drain me. I'm terrible at small talk. But with a small close group of friends who I mesh with greatly, I'm super bubbly and chatty. I get really fixated on things. Right now it's fountain pens, and specifically all the pretty ink colours I can use to write in my journal. I'm a hufflepuff, and a fan-girl/geek. As for appearance, I'm 5'2", chubby, blonde with blue eyes, and I tend to dress in jeans and t-shirts. I wish I was more fashionable, but being comfortable is more important to me. I have 6 tattoos, including a large thigh piece. Pokemon, Harry Potter, animals, Egyptian theme, etc. I have like 15-ish piercings, including a septum clicker that looks like a little tiara with Swarovski crystals in it. I used to dye my hair with manic panic (red, pink, purple) but haven't for about 3+ years because effort. Despite all that I tend to look pretty innocent. I go between liking softer more feminine things, and being a tom-boy. I really like jewel tones, as well as teals, and purple leaning burgundies. 

Curious to see what people think of for scent recs! Thanks in advance. 

26 minutes ago, ShleepySnorlax said:

Hey there! I'd like to give this a go :)

I'm a 26 year old cis female, and a winter solstice baby...

I go between liking softer more feminine things, and being a tom-boy. I really like jewel tones, as well as teals, and purple leaning burgundies. 

I immediately thought about the RPG scents for you, @ShleepySnorlax.  The layering opportunities & variety of notes give you a lot to play with, plus so much girl/geek imagination fun.  The lab has an Imp Pack for RPG – Classes, but not for the races, alignments or adventuring gear, alas. (I picked up most of my RPG imps through forum sales & swaps.)  Hufflepuff, love of color & introvert made me think of Elf + Neutral + Dwarven Ale. Or maybe Druid + Good + Chaotic.

BPAL has a lot of blends that don't pigeonhole into masculine or feminine, as well as blends with a lot of notes are definitely traditionally worn by one gender.  Bewitched, Coyote & The Small Brown Cat are blends that are super-comfortable, as well as flexible re: feminine/tom-boy.

That's all I came up with, but I know the Forum dwellers will have some others :smile:.

Ooh thank you for the recommendations @Teamama! I feel like you really hit the nail on the head, these are so up my ally. I actually have a couple of the RPG imps including dwarven ale (cleric, bard, rogue), but the ones you listed sound amazing. I haven’t tried layering and druid + good + chaotic, just brilliant. I’ll have to pick up imps! And the Small Brown Cat has been on my radar, but keeps being passed over for LEs. It’s moved top of the list for my next order! 

On 6/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, ShleepySnorlax said:

Hi, ShleepySnorlax!  Teamama's recs are great.  I also thought of the Mad Tea Party for you -- the first scent that resonated for me personally was Alice.  It's got the innocence you sometimes project, and it's very comforting.  If carnation works well for you, Maiden is another innocent-projecting scent to try.  The foodier Mad Tea Party scents (Eat Me, Drink Me, Knave of Tarts) don't work on me but might be comforting if they work on your skin.  The Lion belongs right in Teamama's list of gender neutral comfort scents like Coyote.  It fits with love of animals, too.  Also, if you like The Lion, Bengal and Bastet (appropriate for your ancient Egypt tattoo!) would be good blends to try, and Bast from American Gods - they all have that warm amber feel.  An animal and fantasy lover is probably fond of dragons, so you might like the Ars Draconis scents, many of which are gender fluid.  

Since you enjoy fall and winter, do you like pumpkin as a note?  Jack comes to mind (same category in my head as Dwarven Ale, and Hoggle from the Labyrinth, the only other GC pumpkin blends I can think of.).  And Chimera and Sin and other warm spicy blends.  I would have said Miskatonic U as a warm winter scent but I looked on your profile and that showed up as a fail.  Weenies and Yules are probably your best updates.  Oh -- have you tried Lights of Men's Lives?  It's candles, so slightly smoky beeswax.  I find it warming and wonderful.  

Lucchesa! I just realized I never replied. Thank you for the scent recommendations. My list keeps growing, and you nailed so many that I already love!  

Alice, I can't wear on my skin but it's wonderful in my white rabbit scent locket.  I have imps of Bengal and bastet and bastet deserves a bottle upgrade for sure. Dragon's milk is very comforting to me, and Jack was my first ever bottle purchase immediately after trying the imp from my first order! 

The lion has been another I've wanted for a long time, but keeps being passed over for LEs (darn FOMO!). Amber seems to work well with my skin chemistry so I think it's one I'd go straight to getting a bottle (possibly sin too mmm!). Yeah, it's a shame because Miskatonic U sounds likes it's amazing on others, and I love the idea of it. I should dig out my imp and try it in my scent locket actually... or even now that it has aged maybe a small skin test (bastet needed a bit of time). 

ooh this seems interesting, let me give this a shot.

I've been told I can come across as scary when someone doesn't know me well, and I'll be the first to admit that I can be strongly opinionated and don't suffer fools gladly, but a few conversations with me usually evaporates that scary image very quickly. I'm generally pretty personable and enjoy moderate social events, but I value time by myself just as much. A true leo at heart, I love deeply and easily, put great value on my close relationships, and while I am confident and proud in the effort I put into myself as a person and into my appearance I find great joy in encouraging the people around me to see the best in themselves and love shamelessly. I have been described as unflappable, reliable and honest. I frequently get compared to a big, black house cat. I love art and good food, poetry and wildlife, and would gladly spend all my free time resting languidly under a hot summer sun. Avid collector of bones, seeds, and various curiosities to put up on display. I am currently studying to become a therapist.

physically, I'm very tall and a little soft. I tend to wear a lot of painted leather jackets and solid steel-toe combat boots, with any combination of ripped jeans, combat pants, mesh or printed shirts, and jewelry made of gold and silver and scavenged bones and junk. I have a few facial piercings and a number of small tattoos. My hair is currently a dark red overgrown mohawk, but give me some time to save up for a proper haircut and dye job and we'll see...

any thoughts?

On 10/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, hellionetic said:

ooh this seems interesting, let me give this a shot.

I've been told I can come across as scary when someone doesn't know me well, and I'll be the first to admit that I can be strongly opinionated and don't suffer fools gladly, but a few conversations with me usually evaporates that scary image very quickly. I'm generally pretty personable and enjoy moderate social events, but I value time by myself just as much. A true leo at heart, I love deeply and easily, put great value on my close relationships, and while I am confident and proud in the effort I put into myself as a person and into my appearance I find great joy in encouraging the people around me to see the best in themselves and love shamelessly. I have been described as unflappable, reliable and honest. I frequently get compared to a big, black house cat. I love art and good food, poetry and wildlife, and would gladly spend all my free time resting languidly under a hot summer sun. Avid collector of bones, seeds, and various curiosities to put up on display. I am currently studying to become a therapist.

physically, I'm very tall and a little soft. I tend to wear a lot of painted leather jackets and solid steel-toe combat boots, with any combination of ripped jeans, combat pants, mesh or printed shirts, and jewelry made of gold and silver and scavenged bones and junk. I have a few facial piercings and a number of small tattoos. My hair is currently a dark red overgrown mohawk, but give me some time to save up for a proper haircut and dye job and we'll see...

any thoughts?

Hi there! I did some thinking and found a few that I think could work for you ☺️

As you're a Leo I must recommend The Lion from the Mad Tea Party: A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious. 

I think Diana from the Independent Shakespeare collection would suit you well, having strong (maybe intimidating at first) leather but warm and a bit softer at the heart with the musks and amber. And it has wildlife connotations: leather, gleaming golden amber, red amaranth, cypress, asphodel accord, a gleam of silver, and soft brown musk.

In a similar vein, Heroine: Nepalese amber, East African patchouli, dark musk, apple blossom, petitgrain, aged leather, skin musk, and rhubarb. 

A feline scent for the black house cat in you, Bast: A desert wind alight with myrrh and golden amber, cardamom and honey, bourbon vanilla and cacao. 

Guess I'll give this a crack as well since I'm on the lookout for new things to try.  As I've said elsewhere, I'm a 30 year old news reporter.  I cover many things, including handling obituaries for our publication.  People often ask if handling obituaries daily upsets or scares me.  Not really.  I mostly view it as a necessary public service.  I think that as an entity, Death probably feels that way about their job, too.

I like cold things, and I hate hot things.  I don't like hot weather or hot drinks or hot showers, and I prefer just-kinda-warm food over hot food.  Big fan of rainy weather.

Allegedly I am blunt.  Equally allegedly I have a good sense of humor.  I have a short temper and neither forgive nor forget, but I'm easily amused and assume the best of people unless they give me a reason not to.  I'm quiet, but I "secretly" like listening to other people's gossip and drama.  I get excited about things easily - for example, I once contacted a toothbrush manufacturer to tell them how amazing the toothbrush I bought was.  My fashion sense is "plain clothes, lots of jewelry."  I have 15 piercings.  Asexual.  Can't hold still worth a damn.  Being a sleepy bitch is a personality trait.  My cat's name is Romeow, which seems worth mentioning.

Favorite things: Activities: macro photography (plants/bugs mostly), inadvisably picking up random animals, cross stitch, naps, picnics, reading sappy fanfiction.  Foods: pea soup, cabbage dumplings, drunken noodles, vanilla yogurt, egg yolks, red/black grapes, pomegranate, beans in general.  Drinks: iced black, green, red, kukicha, or hibiscus tea, iced coffee with a lot of milk, Thai iced tea, passionfruit seltzer, water with crunchy ice.  Flowers: lungwort, blackberry lily, forget-me-not, adenium, hoya, daisies (all types).  Colors: yellow, pink, dark red, cobalt, mint green. Mythical creatures: Minotaur, kraken, oni, mothman, gorgons.

Dislikes: cumin, hyacinths, red meat, hippos (they're scary!), the comments sections on my workplace's website, loud noises, when people are like "can you do me a favor" and expect you to agree to it before telling you what the favor is.

That's a lot...  Whoops.

Edited by Laughing Seagull

Hi there @Laughing Seagull! Here's a few I think could work you for you:

As you're a news reporter I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Media from American Gods: A news anchors cologne, a soap stars perfume: perfect, pixelated, and glamorous; aglow with cathodes and anodes, coated with phosphor.  

With such a plethora of piercings The Torture Queen from the Carnaval came to mind: White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome. 

Liking cold things, the rain, being quiet but not being able to sit still all made me think of you like a body of water. Like a river, a quiet force, but uncontained. This made me think of something like There's Water Here from OLLA: the wild glory of nature bursting through cement, metal and urban despair, purified by the waters of Lake St. Clair.

Edited by roseus

Thank you for your response!  Coincidentally, possibly inevitably, I am a big fan of aquatics and "juicy/wet/damp/humid" scents.  Though not at the tippy-top of my list, I am a fan of Lightning.  There's Water Here sounds like it could be evocative of rainy days back when I lived in Philadelphia, which would be wonderfully nostalgic.

Torture Queen sounds sparkly!  I like sparkly!  I'm not wild about white tea, but I think that there are enough other things to balance it out.  I've been curious about metal scents.

I can't believe I overlooked Media in all my times browsing scents!  The reviews mention honeysuckle, and I do love me some honeysuckle.  That's fantastic, and this review had me rolling:

On 6/9/2017 at 2:06 AM, Smaragdina said:

It smells like every generic perfume you've ever smelled. It smells like the perfume department at Sephora where you can buy concealer in fifty different shades of beige. It smells like the hair of a fifty's housewife. It smells like a fifty's housewife with lipstick stains on her collar because she's having an affair with Susie who lives next door. Susie wears pearl earrings and lipstick with a name like Immoral Coral and this perfume sits on her vanity counter in a disconcertingly rectangular bottle. It smells like Channel No. 5 and I need to stress that I have never smelled Channel No. 5, but it smells like the idea of it as seen in a Cosmopolitan issue. It smells like the little paper snips of sample perfumes that have been in your purse for the last month. It smells like those free samples if they were softer, and fuller, and weren't sodden with alcohol. It smells like pale pink and white roses and amber and more free samples. So many free samples. It smells like the light in that creepy Folger's commercial. It smells like the sales pitch of a diamond-jewerly saleswoman in a pencil skirt and a sensible satiny blouse when you know the price of diamonds is artificially inflated. It smells like a white convertible and a pair of Jackie O. sunglasses and a french manicure and a white-and-black polka-dot dress with a sweetheart neckline and Immoral Coral lipstick. It smells like a newscaster with Marilyn Monroe hair smiling at you on a jittery analog tv screen, which is exactly what it is supposed to smell like, and I am almost crying with laughter because they got this exactly right.

Oh I want to play this game 🙂

I'm looking for a perfume that brings out the calm, competent, and confident side of me.

I'm an introverted and genderqueer person in my mid 30s. You might describe me as goofy, sincere, sensitive, talkative, or funny. I am sometimes full of indignation, righteous or otherwise. Nevertheless, people find me empathic and talk through their problems with me. I enjoy poetry and artsy film and much as videos of baby animals and pop music. I wear black every day and I'm not very stylish about it.

I spend as much time as possible in the woods. I love walking. Ninety percent of my reading for pleasure in the last year has been Neil Gaiman audiobooks.

I'm a cat person, in temperament and practice, but I also love dogs. Depending on which system of classification you're into, I'm either an Aquarius or a Tiger. 

I would love to hear your recommendations from the GC!

Edited by wordortwo
Trimmed a lot because tmi lol

Oh, this sounds fun!

I'm in my late 20s, female (but gender-apathetic. Most of my scent collection is unisex), sarcastic, witty, gothy (always swathed in black), caring, fiery, poetic, blunt, charismatic (apparently? I don't agree with this, but it's been thrown at me as a descriptor numerous times), passionate, and relatively dominant. "Do no harm and take no shit" is something I live by. I love all things spooky, vampiric (give me all the velvet, candles, and dim lighting), Victorian, and jewel-toned. Also a Leo, for whatever that's worth.