Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

I'd definitely recommend trying Great Sword of War if you like the notes involved - it's not really like any other red musk blend I've tried. It's a very interesting blend of the tangy/bright citrusy top over a darker semi-foody base.

Floria, I love citrus and foody scents - Yum! Very excited about placing my next order (runs to go place order this instant) :D

I'd definitely recommend trying Great Sword of War if you like the notes involved - it's not really like any other red musk blend I've tried. It's a very interesting blend of the tangy/bright citrusy top over a darker semi-foody base.

Floria, I love citrus and foody scents - Yum! Very excited about placing my next order (runs to go place order this instant) :D

Deliciousness - Hope you like it! :D

Thank you so much, Mia! I'm almost done putting together my order, and you were a ton of help. I love how poetic you all are in describing scents. =)

Thank you so much, Mia! I'm almost done putting together my order, and you were a ton of help. I love how poetic you all are in describing scents. =)

Yay! I'm so glad I could be of help. :)

I love the idea of this thread! I'm not replying to any of the old posts because I don't know if it's ok, since the posts appear to be several weeks old -- however, if anyone is still open to new suggestions feel free to say so.

I spend a lot of time daydreaming and having FEELINGS about art, but you wouldn't guess this at first glance. I have all the traits of the stereotypical Aries. Additionally, despite the fact that I'm quite geeky at heart I would never call myself a "geek" and I have no patience for dry intellectual conversations. I wear a lot of black and dark colours in general and mostly dresses and heels. I'm obsessed with history, art, the sea (everything about it), poetry, wine, and decadent 19th century novels. I listen to almost every genre of music as long as it's enjoyable and interesting, but I have a soft spot for 1970s glam rock, post-punk, and cabaret-type music (and obscure twee bands but you didn't hear that from me!).

Any ideas?

I love the idea of this thread! I'm not replying to any of the old posts because I don't know if it's ok, since the posts appear to be several weeks old -- however, if anyone is still open to new suggestions feel free to say so.

I spend a lot of time daydreaming and having FEELINGS about art, but you wouldn't guess this at first glance. I have all the traits of the stereotypical Aries. Additionally, despite the fact that I'm quite geeky at heart I would never call myself a "geek" and I have no patience for dry intellectual conversations. I wear a lot of black and dark colours in general and mostly dresses and heels. I'm obsessed with history, art, the sea (everything about it), poetry, wine, and decadent 19th century novels. I listen to almost every genre of music as long as it's enjoyable and interesting, but I have a soft spot for 1970s glam rock, post-punk, and cabaret-type music (and obscure twee bands but you didn't hear that from me!).

Any ideas?

Hi Butterbeer -

This is fun. Someday I'll have to try it myself. In the meantime...

Given all your interests and likes, Horreur Sympathique, Bordello, and Tombuer popped into my head.

You mentioned your obsession with the sea - R'Lyeh and Y'Ha-Nathlei are both beautiful aquatics.

Personally, I associate Aries with Le Lethe because two of my very good Aries friends got me hooked on the scent.

Hope some of that is helpful. B)

Any ideas?

Hi Butterbeer -

This is fun. Someday I'll have to try it myself. In the meantime...

Given all your interests and likes, Horreur Sympathique, Bordello, and Tombuer popped into my head.

You mentioned your obsession with the sea - R'Lyeh and Y'Ha-Nathlei are both beautiful aquatics.

Personally, I associate Aries with Le Lethe because two of my very good Aries friends got me hooked on the scent.

Hope some of that is helpful. B)

Awesome, thank you so much! R'Lyeh and Y'Ha-Nathlei sound fantastic, I'll go read the reviews -- I'm not sure if I can pull off very "light" aquatics but going by the names I assume those are a bit stronger. I'm really curious about Horreur Sympathique, Bordello, and Tombeur, because they would never have ocurred to me, so thanks for the suggestion. :D

You should totally go ahead and post about your personality too!

Oh! I want to try this!

Let's see...my personality. First, I am a very typical Scorpio, with the exception of being secretive. In fact, I am overt about just about everything, no topic too taboo, nothing is shocking. Chinese sign = dragon...again, I find to be pretty accurate. For those familiar with the MBTI/Meyers-Briggs, I am an ENFP. Raised Irish-Catholic, but more of a "make your own religion" spiritualist.

When I was an undergraduate, I studied History and French, then went on to get my Masters in Education. I have also worked part-time/freelance jobs at a feminist bookstore, and a sex-postive sex toy store. After leaving a career in higher education, I am currently a stay at home mom to a brilliant and beautiful 7YO daughter who is on the autism spectrum. I did go back to school for a year towards my MLS, only to learn that my program was way more geared towards information infrastructure than learning how to pimp books to kids.

I am short (5ft), and plus-sized (16-18), big-busted 36 YO with auburn hair (well, right now it is teal) and blue eyes. Big boobs, big butt.

I am kind of a person of extremes. I am bi-polar - not only in official definition, but I tend to run hot or cold, never lukewarm. I am Bi, and a huge flirt. I alternate between being a hermit and being a performer. I dance burlesque, and can be almost naked in front of a crowd of people, but be shy in a different group. My dancing burlesque started as a kind of joke - in that I am TOTALLY not a glamourous person, at all. I would not call myself uber-feminine, but I never wear t-shirt or pants. I dress entirely for comfort, but enjoy getting fancied up in a corset and fishnets. Burlesque led to some modeling, and I also am involved in storytelling/poetry, etc.

I am passionate about issues of social justice.

Like lots of people here, I enjoy comics, Gaiman, and fantasy. I also like documentaries, history and travel shows. I love wine. A lot. I am a night person, and really am not a "let's go to the beach all day" kind of gal. I like the beach in the fall. Autumn is my favorite season, and some of my favorite smells are related to that - burning leaves, pumpkin, apple, cranberry - those scents do not often work on me. They turn to cookie.

I love water, but not aqua scents.Not unless it is more salt water than ozone.

While I am a very sexual person, most of the fragrances that are categorized as such do not (Siren almost choked me!).

ANY fragile flower - orchid, jasmine, gardenia, rose - is likely to kill me. Honey does not do well on me. Or too much Vanilla.

Angeronalia nearly killed me.

Scents that I have LOVED: Lady Una, Hunter Moon, Scorpio 2007, Ivanushka, Underpants, Fruit of Paradise, Count Dracula, Crypt Queen., VILF. Musks, cloves and spices that are warm but not foody. SAFFRON seems to be magic on my skin.

There are other BPAL smells I love, and that smell great on me, but are not "ME" - Candy Phoenix, Phoenix, Strawberry Moon, Red Fraggle, The Fairies, Fire Pg (I LOVE peony).

So, I would love to hear some other suggestion!

Oh! I want to try this!

Let's see...my personality. First, I am a very typical Scorpio, with the exception of being secretive. In fact, I am overt about just about everything, no topic too taboo, nothing is shocking. Chinese sign = dragon...again, I find to be pretty accurate. For those familiar with the MBTI/Meyers-Briggs, I am an ENFP. Raised Irish-Catholic, but more of a "make your own religion" spiritualist.

When I was an undergraduate, I studied History and French, then went on to get my Masters in Education. I have also worked part-time/freelance jobs at a feminist bookstore, and a sex-postive sex toy store. After leaving a career in higher education, I am currently a stay at home mom to a brilliant and beautiful 7YO daughter who is on the autism spectrum. I did go back to school for a year towards my MLS, only to learn that my program was way more geared towards information infrastructure than learning how to pimp books to kids.

I am short (5ft), and plus-sized (16-18), big-busted 36 YO with auburn hair (well, right now it is teal) and blue eyes. Big boobs, big butt.

I am kind of a person of extremes. I am bi-polar - not only in official definition, but I tend to run hot or cold, never lukewarm. I am Bi, and a huge flirt. I alternate between being a hermit and being a performer. I dance burlesque, and can be almost naked in front of a crowd of people, but be shy in a different group. My dancing burlesque started as a kind of joke - in that I am TOTALLY not a glamourous person, at all. I would not call myself uber-feminine, but I never wear t-shirt or pants. I dress entirely for comfort, but enjoy getting fancied up in a corset and fishnets. Burlesque led to some modeling, and I also am involved in storytelling/poetry, etc.

I am passionate about issues of social justice.

Like lots of people here, I enjoy comics, Gaiman, and fantasy. I also like documentaries, history and travel shows. I love wine. A lot. I am a night person, and really am not a "let's go to the beach all day" kind of gal. I like the beach in the fall. Autumn is my favorite season, and some of my favorite smells are related to that - burning leaves, pumpkin, apple, cranberry - those scents do not often work on me. They turn to cookie.

I love water, but not aqua scents.Not unless it is more salt water than ozone.

While I am a very sexual person, most of the fragrances that are categorized as such do not (Siren almost choked me!).

ANY fragile flower - orchid, jasmine, gardenia, rose - is likely to kill me. Honey does not do well on me. Or too much Vanilla.

Angeronalia nearly killed me.

Scents that I have LOVED: Lady Una, Hunter Moon, Scorpio 2007, Ivanushka, Underpants, Fruit of Paradise, Count Dracula, Crypt Queen., VILF. Musks, cloves and spices that are warm but not foody. SAFFRON seems to be magic on my skin.

There are other BPAL smells I love, and that smell great on me, but are not "ME" - Candy Phoenix, Phoenix, Strawberry Moon, Red Fraggle, The Fairies, Fire Pg (I LOVE peony).

So, I would love to hear some other suggestion!

So, I'm getting sort of a Mme. Moriarty vibe from you, but I like to give GC suggestions so they're easier to locate. I'm thinking some to-try things might be Lilith, Dragon's Heart, Blood Rose, and maybe just simply Snake Oil. It might also be worth it to look into Scheherezade, Bewitched and possibly the Lion. Hope that helps :) Also- a weird one that has an element of mystery and the uncategorizable to it is the Robotic Scarab.

Can I try?! :smile:

I'm 25 years old, 5'1", brunette - I look young and always get carded. Very much the quiet and observant type - people usually don't realize how much I'm taking in/mentally processing until suddenly I say something really witty or profound - I don't say much, but what I do say is meaningful. I tend to be very "tough love" when giving advice or opinions - I'm straightforward and hate to sugarcoat things just to make someone feel better. I can be a complete smartass and even a little mean sometimes, but I have an empathetic streak that runs deep. I probably spend more time joking around than being serious - when I'm around my friends or coworkers, I tend to lapse into singing, funny voices, lots of swearing, and making jokes about everything. I'm pretty fun once you get to know me but I definitely have a thick outer shell. I'll never be the first one dancing or contributing to a conversation among strangers, but once I get to know you I'm likely to be the perfect partner in crime for all types of shenanigans. Among my coworkers I'm clearly the "whimsical" one, as they never stop reminding me.

Other stuff: I'm a zookeeper so obviously I love animals (cats of all sizes are kind of my area of specialization). I love to read and write fiction, and I find the presence of books very comforting - let me loose in a used bookstore and I'll be content for hours. I'm perfectly comfortable spending time by myself, and most nights after work I prefer to just unwind at home with a book or some TV, but I do enjoy the occasional night out, and I do love me some strong drinks! :cheers: My room and my car are always messy. I love eye makeup and bright nail polish, and my clothes are usually dark and fairly casual.

I've only tried a small fraction of BPAL scents, but my favorites so far are: Dorian, The Apothecary, Akuma, Hellcat, and Glasgow. I tend to steer clear of anything too heavy or too floral, but I'm open to new possibilities.

(Any suggestions are welcome, but I'm especially interested in possible Carnival options since rumors are strong that it might be coming back sometime soon and I've never tried anything from the CD!)

Thanks!

First post on the site, whee! Hello, everybody! This looks fascinating and I wanted to give it a shot.

Okay, so:

20 years old, 5 foot 2, plain old brown hair and eyes, 122 lb. College sophomore, theatre major/classics minor. Lover of Old, Middle, and Early Modern English. Shakespearean actress. 8 years of Latin, 2 of Attic Greek and I can read both with some facility. Fan of Discworld, A Song of Ice and Fire, Potter, Tolkien, Hitchhiker's Guide, Homer, Beowulf, Chaucer, Marlowe, and Shakespeare above all else. Snarky as all hell, loyal to friends and family, passionate about learning and working hard, usually isolated but not by choice, quick to anger and slow to forgive.

My absolute favorite BPAL scent is Rumpelstilzchen, which suits me to the point of being 'creepily fitting', according to a friend. In that same vein, if you want a good picture of my personality, think of a slightly toned-down version of Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time. Minus the magic and murder.

If anybody has recommendations, I'd be more than happy to hear them!

To IambicDearie - you strike me as a mixture of things I think of as mild, old-fashioned - and totally different, strong passionate fiery stuff. A morpher might be good for you. Not sure though.

I wonder if you'd like Bonfire Night? It's smokey, atmospheric, quirky, and seems very English to me.

Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery - beer again but subtle this time; herby, countryside, odd. Do try it - I find it hard to describe.

Dee, maybe. But I found it too mellow and you might too.

To a Woman is strong, feminine but really odd stuff again; not floral at all. Female rather than feminine maybe.Read a review for a better account!

Have you tried the RPG scents?

Voodoo. myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove. - Characterful, morphing, quirky again.

Black Annis - you need to be ok with civet for this. As well as that it smells - well it makes me think of blue hazey hillsides.

First post on the site, whee! Hello, everybody! This looks fascinating and I wanted to give it a shot.

Okay, so:

20 years old, 5 foot 2, plain old brown hair and eyes, 122 lb. College sophomore, theatre major/classics minor. Lover of Old, Middle, and Early Modern English. Shakespearean actress. 8 years of Latin, 2 of Attic Greek and I can read both with some facility. Fan of Discworld, A Song of Ice and Fire, Potter, Tolkien, Hitchhiker's Guide, Homer, Beowulf, Chaucer, Marlowe, and Shakespeare above all else. Snarky as all hell, loyal to friends and family, passionate about learning and working hard, usually isolated but not by choice, quick to anger and slow to forgive.

My absolute favorite BPAL scent is Rumpelstilzchen, which suits me to the point of being 'creepily fitting', according to a friend. In that same vein, if you want a good picture of my personality, think of a slightly toned-down version of Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time. Minus the magic and murder.

My boss is a playwright. I went in to visit with him yesterday and noticed a calendar hanging on the wall behind his head. "YORICK" in giant letters was the image of the month. I see BPAL everywhere I look.

...for the Shakespearean actress who's unafraid of oddity in a perfume...

YORICK

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now?

Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

220px-Bernhardt_Hamlet2.jpg

Portrait of Sarah Bernhardt as Hamlet with Yorick as a skull.

Can I try?! :smile:

I'm 25 years old, 5'1", brunette - I look young and always get carded. Very much the quiet and observant type - people usually don't realize how much I'm taking in/mentally processing until suddenly I say something really witty or profound - I don't say much, but what I do say is meaningful. I tend to be very "tough love" when giving advice or opinions - I'm straightforward and hate to sugarcoat things just to make someone feel better. I can be a complete smartass and even a little mean sometimes, but I have an empathetic streak that runs deep. I probably spend more time joking around than being serious - when I'm around my friends or coworkers, I tend to lapse into singing, funny voices, lots of swearing, and making jokes about everything. I'm pretty fun once you get to know me but I definitely have a thick outer shell. I'll never be the first one dancing or contributing to a conversation among strangers, but once I get to know you I'm likely to be the perfect partner in crime for all types of shenanigans. Among my coworkers I'm clearly the "whimsical" one, as they never stop reminding me.

Other stuff: I'm a zookeeper so obviously I love animals (cats of all sizes are kind of my area of specialization). I love to read and write fiction, and I find the presence of books very comforting - let me loose in a used bookstore and I'll be content for hours. I'm perfectly comfortable spending time by myself, and most nights after work I prefer to just unwind at home with a book or some TV, but I do enjoy the occasional night out, and I do love me some strong drinks! :cheers: My room and my car are always messy. I love eye makeup and bright nail polish, and my clothes are usually dark and fairly casual.

I've only tried a small fraction of BPAL scents, but my favorites so far are: Dorian, The Apothecary, Akuma, Hellcat, and Glasgow. I tend to steer clear of anything too heavy or too floral, but I'm open to new possibilities.

(Any suggestions are welcome, but I'm especially interested in possible Carnival options since rumors are strong that it might be coming back sometime soon and I've never tried anything from the CD!)

Thanks!

Zookeeper! What a fantastic job.

...for a cat lover and kindred spirit who's ok with toys strewn about the house...

LIL' MENES FELINE ENTERTAINMENTS 2012 (YULE: THE MISKATONIC VALLEY YULETIDE FAIRE)

A delightful selection of Ultharian cat toys and offerings, guaranteed to propitiate even the orneriest kitty!

THE CAT

Sleek, black, dark, and clever: benzoin, honey, cedar, and dark musk.

BASTET

Bast, Ubasti, Ailuros, Ba-en-Aset. Represented as both a domestic cat and a fierce lioness, she truly evidences traits of both. She is the Mother of All Cats, Goddess of Sensuality, Fertility, and a guardian and protector of women. She is also one of the Eyes of Ra, and in that aspect is an Avenging Goddess, seeking retribution and punishing enemies of her people. Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

WULRIC, THE WOLFMAN (CARNAVAL DIABOLIQUE)

Friendly, charming, and cuddly, but possessing one hell of a mean streak: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

THEODOSIUS, THE LEGERDEMAIN (CARNAVAL DIABOLIQUE)

Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean.

...and finally, one of my top BPAL scents of all time, because I think everyone should try it...

WILF

Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.

eta- How could I have forgotten Bastet?

Edited by arsinoe9

Zookeeper! What a fantastic job.

...for a cat lover and kindred spirit who's ok with toys strewn about the house...

LIL' MENES FELINE ENTERTAINMENTS 2012 (YULE: THE MISKATONIC VALLEY YULETIDE FAIRE)

A delightful selection of Ultharian cat toys and offerings, guaranteed to propitiate even the orneriest kitty!

THE CAT

Sleek, black, dark, and clever: benzoin, honey, cedar, and dark musk.

BASTET

Bast, Ubasti, Ailuros, Ba-en-Aset. Represented as both a domestic cat and a fierce lioness, she truly evidences traits of both. She is the Mother of All Cats, Goddess of Sensuality, Fertility, and a guardian and protector of women. She is also one of the Eyes of Ra, and in that aspect is an Avenging Goddess, seeking retribution and punishing enemies of her people. Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

WULRIC, THE WOLFMAN (CARNAVAL DIABOLIQUE)

Friendly, charming, and cuddly, but possessing one hell of a mean streak: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

THEODOSIUS, THE LEGERDEMAIN (CARNAVAL DIABOLIQUE)

Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean.

...and finally, one of my top BPAL scents of all time, because I think everyone should try it...

WILF

Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.

eta- How could I have forgotten Bastet?

Great suggestions, thanks!!

Wulric sounds really interesting, I'll have to try and track some down. And the saffron and cardamom in Bastet are right up my alley!

Okay, so:

My boss is a playwright. I went in to visit with him yesterday and noticed a calendar hanging on the wall behind his head. "YORICK" in giant letters was the image of the month. I see BPAL everywhere I look.

...for the Shakespearean actress who's unafraid of oddity in a perfume...

YORICK

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now?

Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

220px-Bernhardt_Hamlet2.jpg

Portrait of Sarah Bernhardt as Hamlet with Yorick as a skull.

Thanks very much, I'll keep that in mind!

Okay, so:

First may I say : hi & welcome, you sound seriously awesome :x As for recs, I'd definitely second Bonfire Night, and if you can track it down also St. John's Eve which is much gentler but has a real scent of old England about it, like being in a manor house kitchen at night after everyone has left with the fire just dying down.

GC-wise, and in an entirely different vein, I find Athens is very much what I reach for when I'm having ancient Greek moments these days :) I've just got an imp of Ekhidna and although all the notes led me to believe it would be dark and nasty (in a good way), and it is, to me it smells of nothing so much as theatrical makeup - evil theatrical makeup :x & if you like Rumpelstilzchen you might also like Agnes Nutter for similar smoky goodness + bonus Pratchett reference<3 Also seconding what other people have said - Yorick, Black Annis and Voodoo would all be things I'd have recced as well :)

(I have quite a lot of Potter-based possible suggestions but they're all more in the line of 'I've spent way too much time thinking about which house this perfume belongs in/who would wear what' than actual...useful...anything :x That said, if you can wear coffee scents (which I can't, so this one never worked on me, but others love it very much) I'm pretty sure Miskatonic University is a good place to start for Hogwarts :x)

I hope you find something new to love! :wub2:

This is my 1st post. I'm rather new to BPAL & the fragrance world in general but I've become infatuated rather quickly.

I'm 5'2", slim but pear shaped, long wavy pale blonde hair, pale skin. I usually dress in a gothic, dollish style. I also love to try to look 'ethereal' in a ghost/waif, mermaid, or vampy way. Just gotta love for fairy tales & the supernatural.

Cancer sun sign, sagittarius rising, capricorn moon, & leo in venus.

Personality wise, introverted but love being in crowds. Like to meet new people but never get too close.

I'm very silly & have an off beat sense of humor. I'm not easy to offend. I like to make decisions by thinking of a negative & positive outcome but in general I'm hopeful. Lots of energy. I'm easily fascinated & love to be given overwhelming bits of info. Somewhat ambitious.

I'm very irritable when hungry so I avoid overly sweet scents as much as I do like them.

As for scents I already like; I'm in [mad love] with Nosferatu, as its instant happiness in a bottle for me.

I also love Blood Kiss, Undertow, & Aizen-Myoo.

I really dislike the smell of amber & most florals. I love the smell of clove, dirt, mint, vanilla, spice, & gardenia.

To HollyAnei-

For your Ethereal/Dollish/Fairy Tale-loving side:

Lady Amalthea: A luminous white winter musk with lilac, wisteria, white chocolate, white mint, and tuberose - - shimmery and ethereal

Elf: Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry - - woodsy and fae

Aeval: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka - - pale, dainty, and fae

The Sluggard: Pious frankincense, angelic gardenia, unsoiled pear, and staunch ho wood conflict with prickly, overgrown thistle, idle labdanum, and lethargic lavender - - a peculiar garden

For your Gothic/Vampy/Ghostly side:

Tavern of Hell: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey - - sophisticated, seductive, and wicked

Penny Dreadful: Soft perfume evocative of noir heroines over rich red grave loam - - dirty and spicy, yet soft

Dracul: Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom - - smoky, cool, and dark

Haunted: Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk - - Lighter and more beautiful than it sounds. I'd recommend giving it a shot despite the amber.

To HollyAnei-

For your Ethereal/Dollish/Fairy Tale-loving side:

Lady Amalthea: A luminous white winter musk with lilac, wisteria, white chocolate, white mint, and tuberose - - shimmery and ethereal

Elf: Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry - - woodsy and fae

Aeval: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka - - pale, dainty, and fae

The Sluggard: Pious frankincense, angelic gardenia, unsoiled pear, and staunch ho wood conflict with prickly, overgrown thistle, idle labdanum, and lethargic lavender - - a peculiar garden

For your Gothic/Vampy/Ghostly side:

Tavern of Hell: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey - - sophisticated, seductive, and wicked

Penny Dreadful: Soft perfume evocative of noir heroines over rich red grave loam - - dirty and spicy, yet soft

Dracul: Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom - - smoky, cool, and dark

Haunted: Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk - - Lighter and more beautiful than it sounds. I'd recommend giving it a shot despite the amber.

. Thank you so much!! These sound wonderful. I've took second glances at Tavern of Hell, Dracul, & Lady Amalthea before and I've wanted to try them. I'll defiantly try these scents out!

To IambicDearie - you strike me as a mixture of things I think of as mild, old-fashioned - and totally different, strong passionate fiery stuff. A morpher might be good for you. Not sure though.

I wonder if you'd like Bonfire Night? It's smokey, atmospheric, quirky, and seems very English to me.

Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery - beer again but subtle this time; herby, countryside, odd. Do try it - I find it hard to describe.

Dee, maybe. But I found it too mellow and you might too.

To a Woman is strong, feminine but really odd stuff again; not floral at all. Female rather than feminine maybe.Read a review for a better account!

Have you tried the RPG scents?

Voodoo. myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove. - Characterful, morphing, quirky again.

Black Annis - you need to be ok with civet for this. As well as that it smells - well it makes me think of blue hazey hillsides.

I have a feeling I'd love Bonfire Night, thank you so much for the recs! I have an imp of To A Woman, but haven't touched it as of yet.

Okay, so:

First may I say : hi & welcome, you sound seriously awesome :x As for recs, I'd definitely second Bonfire Night, and if you can track it down also St. John's Eve which is much gentler but has a real scent of old England about it, like being in a manor house kitchen at night after everyone has left with the fire just dying down.

GC-wise, and in an entirely different vein, I find Athens is very much what I reach for when I'm having ancient Greek moments these days :) I've just got an imp of Ekhidna and although all the notes led me to believe it would be dark and nasty (in a good way), and it is, to me it smells of nothing so much as theatrical makeup - evil theatrical makeup :x & if you like Rumpelstilzchen you might also like Agnes Nutter for similar smoky goodness + bonus Pratchett reference<3 Also seconding what other people have said - Yorick, Black Annis and Voodoo would all be things I'd have recced as well :)

(I have quite a lot of Potter-based possible suggestions but they're all more in the line of 'I've spent way too much time thinking about which house this perfume belongs in/who would wear what' than actual...useful...anything :x That said, if you can wear coffee scents (which I can't, so this one never worked on me, but others love it very much) I'm pretty sure Miskatonic University is a good place to start for Hogwarts :x)

I hope you find something new to love! :wub2:

Funny thing, I'm off to Athens in a few days! :D

Agnes Nutter and Ekhidna look right up my alley and I'll definitely have to check out the others, thanks so much!

Okay, so:

Salve! Wow, you sound similar to me. I majored in Classics and I love the same books as you. :D

Gonna have to echo others before me and say Athens and Yorick.

I also feel like tobacco blends would suit you. I definitely recommend Wolf Spider (Tonka bean, patchouli, bourbon vanilla, Cuban tobacco, coconut, clary sage, galbanum, white musk, and chamomile). I think #occupywallstreet might work, too (This is a filthy friggin' patchouli, dark, deep, rooty, and strangely sexy, with cocoa absolute, tobacco absolute, and bourbon vanilla).

This thread seems like so much fun!!!

I'm 21 years old, 5'6'', brown hair and dark brown, almost black eyes, more squash-shaped than pear-shaped, about to be a senior in college. I'm a double major in history and religious studies with a minor in South Asian studies (India, Pakistan, etc.) though I was raised Jewish. I'm not especially religious but Jewish customs and culture are very important to me. I speak Hindi, Spanish and a moderate amount of Yiddish and I really want to learn more! I LOVE to write, poetry and short stories--favorite writers include Flannery O'Connor, Zadie Smith, Dorothy Parker, Agha Shahid Ali, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Jonathan Safran Foer, Dostoevsky, Meerabai and Mirza Ghalib (both Indian poets who wrote erotic poems about spiritual love, lol)--a really varied mix, but I treasure those writers whose words I can identify with in some way. That's what reading and writing have always been to me--a way of connection. I was kind of a lonely kid, I guess, and books for me were a way of travel and companionship when I didn't have access to either. I'm a bit dreamy and introspective as a result of this. I definitely have a tendency to navel-gaze.

I LOVE to travel and traveling has become kind of the defining experience of my life in the last few years. I was lucky enough to study abroad in both India (New Delhi and Bengal) and the UK (London). I loved both but India made the more lasting impact on me. I'm returning in December to visit my friends there and I'm actually really strongly considering a permanent move in a few years. I love the aesthetic in India, if that makes sense--the colors, the arches and latticework of the architecture, the giant Mughal fountains and gardens, even the crush of people and the smell. The host family I stayed with became nearly as important to me as my own family. There was definitely a reason why I chose to study in cities. I love being around lots of people and meeting new folks. I'm pretty shy at first, but once I acclimate I love talking, finding out about people, listening to them. I tend to make really close and lasting friendships, and I guess I can sometimes be a little needy? (Just trying to put the bad in with the good, lol). My friends often describe me as "nuturing" or "maternal." My mom (she just said this this morning, haha) says I have a "strong heart for justice." But I can definitely also be a little bit petulant and pedantic, and I tend to feel hurt and anger as deeply as I feel love. I have an offbeat sense of humor and like to make people laugh! I will defend others fiercely. Other things I like: Pop art, bluegrass music, thunderstorms, tea with lots of milk and sugar, mojitos, my cats, old movies (my undergrad thesis is on Bollywood, lol), costume jewelry with fake gems, and '50s clothes.

My favorite BPAL GC scents are Sudha Segara and Pele. I'm alright with nearly all notes except heavy vetiver!

Edited by non_boingy

Okay, so:

Salve! Wow, you sound similar to me. I majored in Classics and I love the same books as you. :D

Gonna have to echo others before me and say Athens and Yorick.

I also feel like tobacco blends would suit you. I definitely recommend Wolf Spider (Tonka bean, patchouli, bourbon vanilla, Cuban tobacco, coconut, clary sage, galbanum, white musk, and chamomile). I think #occupywallstreet might work, too (This is a filthy friggin' patchouli, dark, deep, rooty, and strangely sexy, with cocoa absolute, tobacco absolute, and bourbon vanilla).

Thanks so much! I'm not a huge tobacco person, but it's always worth a shot!