Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

Well here goes...

I am an almost-20 year old woman, but sometimes I still feel like a girl. I'm short and muscular, but graceful. My personality and interests combine a lot of opposites, which makes it annoying when people try to describe me because I always feel like they focus on a small part of my personality. I guess I'm like a Vulcan: scientific, logical exterior with a bunch of neuroses hidden beneath the surface.

On one hand, I am a physics major, very good at and interested in science and math. I'm very geeky and get very enthusiastic when talking about science, math, technology, but also other things I love like Shakespeare, dancing, comics/films/books I like, etc. I am often an analytical/logical thinker; one of my biggest faults is that I overthink things, particularly when I'm not sure of what to do, and I end up not acting on my desires and not trying new things because I'm afraid of the consequences. I like figuring out how things work.

On the other hand, I love stories in all their forms. I write fiction and poetry and I draw (badly), sing (less badly), paint (okay) and dance (reasonably well). My dancing and choreography are inspired/informed by my love of narrative and how it works. I love tea and cooking and making jewelry/metalworking; these are forms of creation that I happen to be good at. I'm studying classical archaeology and mythology as well as physics.

I enjoy solitude, particularly when I'm outside. I love hiking and being in the wild, in forests and mountain ranges and deserts. I feel very connected to the land, both in the desert/mountain West (where I'm from) and New England (where I currently live). I train for and race cross-country skiing. I love winter and snow and dislike humidity.

I am unsure in my sexuality. Sometimes I think I'm asexual, because I'm too busy for a romantic relationship and don't feel like making time for one. I'm anxious about sex (being a virgin) and afraid of messing things up with someone I like. I am attracted to men and women, but afraid of rejection from both, and most of the time my crushes are brief and intense, and then I never see the person again, so they fade.

I am a little shy by nature, although I enjoy dancing and acting onstage. I am somewhat tomboyish, but discovering more of a feminine side since I've come to college. I love books, of all genres, shapes, and sizes, but particularly sci-fi and fantasy.

Favorites (at the moment):

Colors: Greens, blues, purples, black, earth tones, and red

Animals: Birds, especially kites and ravens

Place: Nara, Japan

Movies: Lord of the Rings

Comic books: Sandman

Authors: Neal Stephenson, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, J.R.R. Tolkien, Iain M. Banks

Videogames: Bastion, Myst, Dragon Age: Origins

TV: Avatar: The Last Airbender

BPAL Top Ten (in rough order):

Aziraphale

Elf

Lyonesse

Cathedral

Snake Oil

Rogue

Embalming Fluid

L'Ecole des Filles

Moonshine and Mist

Nyarlathotep

Have you tried Dee (soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods)? It has a few notes in common with some of the scents you like, and I tend to think of it as a geeky scent - Renaissance scholars and all.

Hi Quanta! :welcome: Er, are you me from when I was an almost-20? Do I learn how to time travel and now you are coming forward to tell me so??? AWESOME. Because it's a little unnerving how much we have in common, from being story-loving physics majors all the way down to loves of Tolkien and A:tLA. :D

It's also interesting that we have pretty different taste in perfume, even with all the similarities! Still, here's a few you might like:

Lights of Men's Lives. It has a golden feel like many of your favourites, and is beautifully atmospheric and warm. It, too, is lovely and literary in it's solitude.

Get thee some Heavenly Love and Earthly Love, if you can. It is one of the most gorgeous incense blends I've ever had, vastly richer and deeper than Cathedral. Another amazing incense is Philosopher in Mediation, also from the Salons.

Delphi. I'm not sure how you and wine notes get along, but on me, Delphi is a glorious honeyed outdoor incense-touched blend. Very evocative of walking up the road to an ancient greek temple, or to an Air Temple if your imagination works like mine. :P

Good luck on your search!

Hi, I'm a teen girl who plays piano, French Horn, and Mellophone. I LOVE reading, and I love watching Doctor Who, Star Trek, and anime. I am short, with light brown shoulder-length hair and blue eyes.

I am on a FIRST robotics team, and I plan to go into Engineering or Music in college.

I listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Apples in Stereo, Belle and Sebastian, and a lot of old-time music.

I wear a LOT of skirts, and I LOVE vintage clothing!!!!!!!!!!!

I could live in the 50s.

People say that I am very intelligent, caring, nice, and passionate about my interests. I don't like people who insult or bully others. I hate snobbish people, and people who think they're sooooo cool...

I am a vegetarian, and I love learning about herbs. My favorite scent is rosemary, and my favorite sound is ratchets.

Any recommendations? I'm new to BPAL and haven't bought anything yet.

Pink Floyd wasn't around in the fifties, but you might like them if you were fifty :lol:

But seriously, Lolita is not only a great vintage work, both in film and in print, but from BPAL a really good perfume, sort of fruity and bubblegum, but also very feminine. Like Lolita herself.

Leanan Sidhe to me is very old timey, also Haunted which smells like an old perfume called Shalimar to me.

If you like Rosemary you might like Catherine.

Hi, I'm a teen girl who plays piano, French Horn, and Mellophone. I LOVE reading, and I love watching Doctor Who, Star Trek, and anime. I am short, with light brown shoulder-length hair and blue eyes.

I am on a FIRST robotics team, and I plan to go into Engineering or Music in college.

I listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Apples in Stereo, Belle and Sebastian, and a lot of old-time music.

I could live in the 50s.

People say that I am very intelligent, caring, nice, and passionate about my interests. I don't like people who insult or bully others. I hate snobbish people, and people who think they're sooooo cool...

I am a vegetarian, and I love learning about herbs. My favorite scent is rosemary, and my favorite sound is ratchets.

For rosemary, try Bess. You might like Arcana, which smells like a cupboard full of herbs.

You might enjoy looking into the RPG oils, and maybe also the Steamworks ones.

I could live in the 50s.

I'm going to second the Bess recommendation for a solid rosemary scent. I'll add in Gnome, which is part steampunk part soda shop, and Verdandi, Absinthe, & Tenochtitlan as a cross-section of some unique herbals.

Bess - rosemary, orange flower, grape spirit, five rose variants, lemon peel, and mint

Gnome - effervescent golden ginger and black peppercorn with sarsaparilla, gurjum balsam, nutmeg, gear lubricant, and smoke

Verdandi - Deep herbs and apple with black amber.

Absinthe - wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon

Tenochtitlan - Amber, hyssop, coriander, epazote, Mexican sage, prickly pear and Mexican tulip poppy

Hey guys! I'm Rose, and I'm sort of semi-new here. This thread seems like a great way to branch out into scents that may not otherwise be considered, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm seventeen years old, and a Literatures of the World major at UC San Diego, so it goes without saying that I love the beach and books. My favorite novelists are Jose Saramago and Gabriel Garcia Marquez; magical realism absolutely kills me in the best of ways. I drown in the poetry of Adrienne Rich and the music of Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and The Eagles (their desert songs are so sexy). My guilty pleasures are potato chips, cheesy hair metal from the 1980s, and disappearing into the Sierra Nevadas where I live in order to leave life behind for a little while.

I'm a relatively serious, charismatic and empathetic (though less often sympathetic) person. I love more fiercely than I am loved, for which I am very grateful, and I love to take care of those that I love. I listen well and I speak well, and agriculture is the passion in the service of which I employ those talents. I'm a lesbian, and have a fantastic tendency to fall in love with women twice my age, including but not limited to a former member of the Supremo Tribunal Federal of Brazil, my French teacher, and a friend's biology professor. I value intelligence more than scruples.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, I identify with House Tully, in Harry Potter with Ravenclaw. If I were a vampire in the World of Darkness, I would be a Gangrel or Daeva. I play as a Nord tank in Skyrim, a Dunmer thief in Morrowind and my favorite Team Fortress 2 go-to character is Heavy. Of the characters from One Hundred Years of Solitude, I feel the most attachment to Fernanda. My favorite language is Spanish, but I only speak English and French, which I also love. Having returned from three weeks in Brazil, I'm fairly attached to Portuguese as well. I love snakes. Caipirinhas are my favorite alcoholic drink, limes are my favorite citrus, and red leather and snakeskin make me want to go dance with pretty women in biker bars. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are my weakness.

"A woman in the shape of a monster. A monster in the shape of a woman. The skies are full of them." - Adrienne Rich, Planetarium

@rawpotential...hmmm...have you tried 51 form wanderlust? Because it makes me think of winds over the mountains outside of San Diego. And you certainly seem to have an adventurous spirit that can appreciate a good mystery.

For some reason, I'm also thinking Serpent's Kiss from Diabolus, House of Night from Ars Moriendi, and Intrigue from Bewitching Brews.

The Aztec scents from Excolo might also suit you - Xiuhtecuhtli and Tezcatlipoca.

They are both very rich, multi-layered scents that make me think of witty, bitingly intelligent, and charming middle-aged women who light up every room they enter, and become the life of every party they attend. They are very bright and pretty, but they have an air of maturity about them, I think.

Since you mentioned being attracted to very intelligent older women, maybe you should give them a try.

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions! Spider sounds amazing, and I never would have noticed it without your help, Mountaingrrl.

Crimescene, Intrigue sounds incredible, and it's not something that I would have picked for myself, either. The two Aztec scents are definitely going in my next imp order; I've been considering them for a while, and that description really helped me decide. Thanks!

Ooo, do me, do me!

Let's see. I'm a librarian, with a specialty in Archives and Special Collections. I'm finishing my MLS in December, and I like to do my part to uphold the sexy librarian stereotype. Think lots of pencils skirts and tight cardigans. My undergrad is Criminal Justice, which means I know my way around handcuffs as well as the stacks, but I'm not saying how much that actually has to do with my degree. I'm queerer than a football bat, and have finagled my way into working at the library in the gayborhood here in Houston. I'm active in the GBLT community, particularly archiving GLBT history. I also have been accused of being a heartbreaker, but I'm singularly focused on my career, so My Prince/Princess Charming has to be patient. What else? Scentwise, I like spice and pepper and sweet.

You know, reading this over I sound a little S&M Librarian, and I think I'm okay with that.

ataindre -

Well, the first scent I thought of for you - spice and pepper and sweet - was the recently discontinued Hermia from the Illyria collecton.

Casanova - another a seductive librarian - would also be a good choice, but unfortunately that one has been discontinued, too.

You could always keep a lookout for these in the swaps forum or ebay auctions.

hmm...well, here are some others to try:

Alice's Evidence from Mad Tea Party - spicy-sweet, and being trial-themed it also has that criminal justice connection

Nanny Ashtoreth from the Neil Gaiman Good Omens collection - would be be appropriate for a primly dressed professional woman who knows a thing or two about alternative uses for handcuffs

Pepper also from the Neil Gaiman Good Omens collection - a honey and floral sweetened pink pepper scent named for an infamous tomboy. Sounds perfect for a wild and spirited young lady.

War from the Neil Gaiman Good Omens collection - a truly gorgeous femme fatale/dangerous woman sort of scent.

Red from the Fraggle Rock collection - lots of sweet tart fruits and pink pepper!

Hideous Heart from the Gris Grimly collection - spiced cherries

Crib Girls from The District collection - spiced honey

Avenger from the Grendel collection

I'm a 31 year old cook, engaged to be married and an die-hard salsa dancer.

I'm pale, skinny, wear purple framed glasses and short burgundy-black hair.

I love 50's inspired styles in fashion, the kind that hug your curves. I love feeling like a woman, even though my job leaves me looking, feeling, and smelling like a dish rag more often than not. Inspiration: Palladium mambo dance scene while it did mambo. Google it, you'll fall in love.

I live for dancing, and am part of a dance group - we're building a cool choreography at the moment which combines salsa, middle eastern and hassidic styles.

My dream is to be a performer, and I do perform every time I'm on the dance floor, even in social circumstances.

I love food and wine aside from my job. I'm pretty good at pairing food to wine, and my fiance enjoys my knack for it every time we go out to dine.

I love to help, good with advice, I'm also pretty emotional and passionate about things in general.

I like knowing my way around things, physically or in situations, I need to be familiar with a place or a situation, or I get frustrated.

favorite colors (in random order): emerald green, royal blue, purple from cool violet to warm plum.... Vibrant pink (magenta), cool berry reds, creamy off-whites, creamy pale yellow.

favorite smells: fresh pineapple, peppermint, fresh ginger, the air around a citrus tree in full bloom, sweet pea flowers, Sauvignon blanc wines from New zealand, nag champa-soaked scarves (winter love!), peak ripe nectarines, raspberries, limes, oranges, cardamom, vanilla beans, muscat grapes, the sweetness strawberry juice and passion fruit leave on your skin, peony, fresh bread, hazelnut with or without cocoa, pistachio, fresh air of hills and mountains, sea breeze, fresh rosemary.

Any recs?

This looks interesting :D

What do I need to tell you about myself, lets see;

I'm 41 years old, but everyone tells me I look much younger (always nice to know ;) ) I have long, slightly curly dark brown hair, that's actually dark red at the moment, pale skin with red cheeks and lips. I'm reasonably tall and curvy. I love the colour purple and many of my clothes are either purple, black or dark pink. I don't wear make-up, but love nice smells.

I'm a kind person, loving, warmhearted, generous, smart, funny at times, patient, sensitive. I can be too trusting, but cross me one too many times and you will be out of my life.

Have been hurt too many times to have people in my life who will hurt me deliberately. I don't like loud noises or raising my voice.

I hate people who are stupid and I don't mean people who haven't been to school a lot. By stupid I mean people who judge others while not even knowing them, spread evil gossip, make others feel bad about themselves for example. I also hate people who are cruel to animals, children, elderly etc. I love animals, but especially cats and they love me. I don't think there are animals I'm scared of, like spiders or snakes, though I of course have respect for lions and hippos and will keep my distance ;)

I'm a vet nurse, though due to health reasons I'm not able to work anymore.

I now take care of my own gang of 12 fur-balls :)

My passions are of course the cats, reading, especially fantasy, listening to music, playing Irish harp, singing, watching films, also mostly fantasy and being outside. I love a walk in the woods, the smells, the peace and quiet, rustling of leaves.

Another one of my passions is cooking and baking. Italian, Indonesian, but also simple British dishes.

I love sweet scents and spices, nuts, some fruits like cherry, coffee, chocolate, incense. Not keen on flower scents. For me a flower scent needs to come from a flower, not me ;) Some of my favourite BPAL scents are Snake Oil, Black Temple Burlesque troupe, Boomslang, Boo, Ghoulish and Velvet Unicorn.

I like strawberry, but strawberry does not like me, nor does blood orange.

So, what do you think?

Reina, have you tried Al Azif? It's a creamy spicy deep thing, that would smell great on a dancer IMO.

Dallandra, what about Black Phoenix? It is a wonderful rich cherry, very dark and lush.

Edited by stellamaris

Let's see. I'm an earth sign with lots of firey things in my chart, and am oft interpreted as a fire sign by others. I'm incredibly loyal to those who have earned it, very pragmatic and down to earth, but I hold myself and those close to me to moral standards as well. I am passionate, ambitious, empathic, driven to succeed but make decisions professionally more of emotional fulfillment than money. I am in a very committed relationship of will be seven years this October, though have no plans for marriage or children.

Stylistically I have my monroe and septum pierced, dark auburn hair that a medium-long length, am quite curvy with Buddy Holly-esque glasses. My fashion sense is predominantly boots, skinny jeans and some decorative camisole, cardigan or motorcycle jacket combination. I also love dresses and usually wear them when not at work, either vintage reproductions from the 1950's or flouncy ponte dresses. I am obsessed with medical oddities, circuses and sideshows, though more historically than do I choose to contribute to an industry which is unkind to animals. I love the Victorian era stylistically if not politically, adore learning about and looking at taxidermy for hours, but also feel a certain sadness towards it which inhibits my collection, as well as my boyfriend's sensitivities. I feel a deep, overwhelming love for my little terrier mix, and frequently choose animals over people. My favorite colors are jewel tones, rich deep or dark greens, teals, purples, eggplant and grey.

I don't think I've done this! My interests and obsessions come in waves, so I'll describe what's been inspiring me most lately.

Edited by Fury

I'm a 31 year old cook, engaged to be married and an die-hard salsa dancer.

I'm pale, skinny, wear purple framed glasses and short burgundy-black hair.

I love 50's inspired styles in fashion, the kind that hug your curves. I love feeling like a woman, even though my job leaves me looking, feeling, and smelling like a dish rag more often than not. Inspiration: Palladium mambo dance scene while it did mambo. Google it, you'll fall in love.

I live for dancing, and am part of a dance group - we're building a cool choreography at the moment which combines salsa, middle eastern and hassidic styles.

My dream is to be a performer, and I do perform every time I'm on the dance floor, even in social circumstances.

I love food and wine aside from my job. I'm pretty good at pairing food to wine, and my fiance enjoys my knack for it every time we go out to dine.

I love to help, good with advice, I'm also pretty emotional and passionate about things in general.

I like knowing my way around things, physically or in situations, I need to be familiar with a place or a situation, or I get frustrated.

favorite colors (in random order): emerald green, royal blue, purple from cool violet to warm plum.... Vibrant pink (magenta), cool berry reds, creamy off-whites, creamy pale yellow.

favorite smells: fresh pineapple, peppermint, fresh ginger, the air around a citrus tree in full bloom, sweet pea flowers, Sauvignon blanc wines from New zealand, nag champa-soaked scarves (winter love!), peak ripe nectarines, raspberries, limes, oranges, cardamom, vanilla beans, muscat grapes, the sweetness strawberry juice and passion fruit leave on your skin, peony, fresh bread, hazelnut with or without cocoa, pistachio, fresh air of hills and mountains, sea breeze, fresh rosemary.

Any recs?

for some reason i'm seeing Lamia for you. it's a very dark-purply scent, floral and feminine but with a dark, strong edge.

edited for the dumz.

Edited by bonny

I'm getting back into BPAL after a long hiatus, and I'm still fairly inexperienced, so I'd definitely appreciate any recs that you can throw at me! I fully intend to try them all. :)

I'm 26 years old, 5'3", on the slender side but curvy. I have a fair/light skin tone and dark brown eyes. My hair is dark brown/black, naturally straight but permed into long, loose waves/curls. I double majored in psychology and English, and I just graduated from law school (and am awaiting bar results... Fingers crossed!). :) I worked at the DA's office while I was in school, which I really loved. I'm usually very agreeable, and I get along with most people I meet (with a few exceptions of course).

My personal style tends to be on the dressy side. My "uniform" is a pair of heels and a flowy knee-length or shorter skirt, accessorized with dangly earrings - usually vintage-y, with pearls or a filigree. I'm a bit of a makeup fiend, and I enjoy spending time on doing my makeup when the mood strikes (shadow, liner, mascara, blush, lipstick, the works). I like going bare-faced too, though - I view makeup as more of an art form, not a necessity.

Hobby-wise, I enjoy knitting and sewing. I also enjoy cooking, although my results are either hit or miss (never in between - I'm still on a lifelong quest to bake the perfect chocolate chip cookie). I spend way too much time browsing makeup blogs, and I consider collecting makeup to be a hobby (although it's getting dangerously close to an addiction for me :P). I love singing and will take any chance I can get to sing embarrasingly cheesy pop anthems at a karaoke bar.

I'm very visual movie-wise, and I will happily watch a plotless movie if it's visually appealing (I loved the visuals of Marie Antoinette and a lot of Tim Burton's movies - Alice in Wonderland, Corpse Bride, and Sweeney Todd). TV wise, I like The Tudors (although the historical inaccuracies drove me nuts), Glee, and Project Runway. I love reading historical fiction and mystery novels; my favorite author is Agatha Christie.

Hm, what else? My favorite color is burgundy/wine red, with dark purple a close second. My wardrobe is mostly black with burgundy and white here and there (I love wearing black clothes with red or purple shoes). That's me in a nutshell! Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by BlueSakura

(In response to BlueSakura)

It sounds like your hobbies and television tastes are creative, so how about Muse to keep you inspired?

Muse - Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime

Or Darkness to represent your closet?

Darkness - Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh

Or Intrigue to represent the mystery novels you are fond of -

Intrigue - Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes

Or Masquerade to represent your passion for makeup -

Masquerade - Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom

As an English major, one of the Illyria scents would be fitting. So how about one that smells deep and red, like Lady MacBeth?

Lady MacBeth - sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries

Or Lawful, for your study of the law -

Lawful - Rigid oak, blue chamomile, rhubarb, and fig leaf

And just because I have a hunch, Tavern of Hell -

Tavern of Hell - White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey

Edited by BoneBone24

I want to try this thread again, because I believe my personality is changing from two years ago when I posted. I'm now 31, incredibly in love :wub2: , beginning a career in the non-profit sector (HIV/AIDS and environmentalism). I have been feeling the more feminine side of my personality lately, focusing on my family, and being in the outdoors. I have strong beliefs, but have been moving away from conflict towards a quieter, more introvertive, meditative state. I write fiction/fantasy, and I still am obsessed with Stevie Nicks. I am a practicing eclectic Wiccan. I love my garden and surrounding myself with flowers, and organic vegetables. I love purples and greens. I love fantasy realms, unicorns, fairies, mermaids. Sometimes I'm dreamy and sort of out there. I'm fine with that. That's me, in a nutshell.

No idea if you'd like this, but how about something from The Last Unicorn collection? Or Mokey or The Gorg's Garden from the Fraggles (if you don't mind smelling like radishes.)

From the GC, there's The Witch's Garden and others(go browse around the Marchen section.) No mermaid scents, but there's Yemaya.

I wanna try this, but I want to leave out what i think my favorite smells are and see if I can get some ideas based soley on my personality:)

I am 36, TOTAL hippie! Crazy dreads with bright colorful wool extenstions added in, peacock feather and bells all over, tattoo'd with fairies and goddess. I am a witch who travels across the country teaching magic and attending rituals. I am super voluptuouse (code word for fat;) but I like to show off my figure and boobs. Crazy bright clothes, lots of scarves, glitter is my favorite drug. Love to dance to crazy sanskrit music, burn incense. Like to pretend I am sexy even though I am more of a shy prude! My daily job is to make my crazy wool dreads and sell them on-line.

I have three kids and a husband. I call myself a pirate, work magic in a group of pirate pagans. My nickname is bird cause I am the singer and 3 cd's out. My husbands name is wolf cause he growls, bites and pees to mark terratory, but he backs down at the sight of his chubby little bird:)

I never wear pants, only long flowy dresses or skirts, pirate garb, corsets, and usually grab attention once I enter a room. I smile a lot and am nto afraid to look like a dork!

what should I wear!!???!!

This looks like fun!

I'm in my mid-twenties and your typical Aries girl. I'm petite with a classic/simple style... I love wearing blue and grey but I also love pastels. I love to travel (especially hot destinations). I have a weak spot for cupcakes, cakes... well, basically anything sweet! My ideal day would consist of staying home, in my pjs, cuddling with my three cats, watching movies all day, and eating all the yummy food my heart desires. Ummmm, that's basically me, in a nut shell :)