Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

This thread is exactly what I needed. I'm as new as new can be, and I have no idea what scent to pick. Now if only I can think of what to say about myself.

I have a degree in Psychology but I'm currently going to graduate school for Information Science and Learning Technology (AKA library stuff). I work five days a week in reference and government documents. I'm a published author. I'm overly logical, overly analytical, and overly introverted. I'm atheist. I like sex. I want to believe in romance but I have an extremely hard time giving myself over to it. I make up for my inability to commit to a romantic relationship by writing romance exclusively. I spend 80% of my time daydreaming. I'm really loud. I'm funny in a deadpan sort of way. I love to eat but I suck at cooking. I'm blunt, honest, and somewhat crude. I swear like a sailor. I sometimes read as much 7 books in as many days. I have a lot of dreams about not being able to run away. My wardrobe is a mix of plaid, skinny jeans, and cardigans. I wear thick black glasses. I'm very prideful and I have a big ego. I like the juxtaposition of looking feminine and acting masculine.

If anyone could give me a few suggestions, I'd love a place to start looking for "my" scent.

reeology:

*Dee (Bewitching Brews) - "His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods."

Reminds me of 'library stuff' and is a bit of a masculine scent, but it smells soft and dreamy on a girl, I think. It really is a delicate, cozy woods and vanilla-y tonka with a bit of masculine leather and a cologne-y vibe.

*Liz (Hellboy) - "A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather."

I think that this is the best mix of feminine and masculine in the bpal catalogue. I may be biased, as it is one of my personal favorites to wear, lol. It's a dry, unusual, girly floral and sweet vanilla, with a slightly smoky, dark leather that isn't exactly masculine, but smells darker and edgy. It smells like a proud, strong woman to me.

*Alice (Mad Tea Party) - "Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot."

Smells very girly and romantic to me, and ages well.

*Les Bijoux (Ars Amatoria) - "Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh."

Again for the feminine and romantic side <3.

What sort of notes and other perfumes do you like?

This thread is exactly what I needed. I'm as new as new can be, and I have no idea what scent to pick. Now if only I can think of what to say about myself.

I have a degree in Psychology but I'm currently going to graduate school for Information Science and Learning Technology (AKA library stuff). I work five days a week in reference and government documents. I'm a published author. I'm overly logical, overly analytical, and overly introverted. I'm atheist. I like sex. I want to believe in romance but I have an extremely hard time giving myself over to it. I make up for my inability to commit to a romantic relationship by writing romance exclusively. I spend 80% of my time daydreaming. I'm really loud. I'm funny in a deadpan sort of way. I love to eat but I suck at cooking. I'm blunt, honest, and somewhat crude. I swear like a sailor. I sometimes read as much 7 books in as many days. I have a lot of dreams about not being able to run away. My wardrobe is a mix of plaid, skinny jeans, and cardigans. I wear thick black glasses. I'm very prideful and I have a big ego. I like the juxtaposition of looking feminine and acting masculine.

If anyone could give me a few suggestions, I'd love a place to start looking for "my" scent.

So, to sort of distill it down: off-beat, intellectual, humourous and a little androgynous. Sounds sort of good? If you're a beginner, it's always good to try a good cross-section of scents because skin chemistry is a wonderful and varied thing.

Wilde Bewitching Brews A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

A perfect starting point for a librarian :) This is a nice, "masculine" sort of scent that I find can smell very alluring on a woman.

Nemesis Excolo Cypress, ginger, fig, dried rose, red patchouli, tonka bean and cyclamen.

This one is really interesting. It's a dry, earthy sort of scent with a creamy rose in the middle of it. Really walks an interesting, androgynous line.

Death Cap Rappaccini's Garden A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

Simply put? Vanilla dirt. SRSLY.

Tweedledee Mad Tea Party Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

And now for something completely different. Orange blossom is a good floral for grounding scents and adding a nice sense of such a fruity, absurd scent being something an adult can get away with (From personal experience, I love fruity scents but they need to be grounded by something or I smell like a thirteen year old who just got into the Calgon).

Shub Niggurath Picnic in Arkham A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

Evil gingerbread. This is a skin-chemistry dependent scent so it might run sweeter on you, but it's a good, dry dark spice scent.

Robin Goodfellow Illyria Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage.

Fellow forum-mate Eyeska and I agree that this is one of those scents that is fantastic on men and a hundred times better on ourselves.

El Dorado Wanderlust Copal resin incense blowing through halls of dazzling gold.

Light, refined and sort of gentlemanly in a Victorian occultist sense. It smells like Aleister Crowly.

Hope that gives you a good spectrum to start out with. And always try scents that come your way--it is amazing the way things can surprise you.

My current perfume lists these:

Head: Bergamots, orange, raspberry, fig leaf

Heart: Liquorice blossom, lily, barbe-a-papa, red fruits, strawberry

Base: Vanilla, candy, musk, tonka, sandalwood

I basically smell like a fresh-baked jelly donut with raspberry filling, with a hint of something musky underneath.

The first one that came to mind was The Little Sparrow - a good scent for shy, gentle creature who belongs in nature but fears bigger animals. Mouse's Long and Sad Tale could be good too - gentle and warm. TKO for the doziness, it's such a snuggly scent! It seems like you also really appreciate the spiritual aspects of nature, and that brought Kathmandu to mind - to me, it smells like ancient trees, mountain air and temple incense, a fitting scent for worshipping nature's majesty. For the horticulturalist in you, Titania is a lovely garden scent - it's like being surrounded by night-blooming flowers on a warm evening.

Of course, I have no idea of your preferred notes - these are just the ones that came to mind from your description!

These all sound lovely! Kathmandu especially sounds totally perfect.

I didn't list notes since I'm trying to give some new things a try, especially since I've gotten some frimps of things I thought I'd hate but ended up loving. Like red wine notes. And I've tried some things that I thought I'd love (like Jack) and hated them with a burning passion.

I basically smell like a fresh-baked jelly donut with raspberry filling, with a hint of something musky underneath.

Try The Red Queen: "Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant." After the strong cough syrup smell goes away (about 10 minutes) I think it smells just like raspberry squares.

Zombie Apocalypse isn't available anymore, but you might be able to find some on the forum: "Swirls of red jelly and sugary white ooze." Lots of people say it smells like a jelly donut. It's a bit too sweet for me.

If you can find some Golletes, that's a great jelly donut type scent, but it was a LE.

Eat Me (Mad Tea Party) is available and is a great dark fruit and cake scent with a little bit of dark muskiness.

Also kinda similar sounding -

Hollywood Babylon (Wanderlust) - notes of amber, heliotrope, strawberry, vanilla, red musk, and black cherry.

Akuma (Diabolus) - notes of blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

And Black Opal (Bewitching Brews) is a bit like Pink Sugar, and so is High-Strung Daisies (Mad Tea Party - daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar).

Edited by Little Bird

I really like the idea of this thread. I'm pretty new too and its sort of hard to pick out things that sound good in the description but still work well on and are something I would like to ware.

Ok so my personality:

I hate reality, I pretty much only read fantasy or scifi novels. I have a Bachelor in Social Science (government policy and social services). I work part time in a fresh hand made cosmetics store. My favourite tv show is Mad Man, i love late 50's early 60's fashion (that Marilyn Monroe pin-up eye liner is my everyday look). I always ware heels if Im not working, I came from a migrant working class family, Im first generation to be born in an English speaking country. I inherited my grandmothers skill of looking like I came from money even though I don't. I grew up with Scandinavian pagan mythology from my grandmother who never said dreams aren't real. I have very vivid and disturbing dreams.

I'm a vegetarian sometimes vegan. If I feel like reading a trashy romance I read Jane Austin. I love dry British comedies like Red Dwarf, Black Books and the Young Ones. Im easy to get birthday present for because I like pretty things. I've been told that Im very good at polite and amusing small talk.

Just a side note: I really cant do almond and I'm not so keen on honey.

:) im realy interested to see what im recommended :D

I hate reality, I pretty much only read fantasy or scifi novels. I have a Bachelor in Social Science (government policy and social services). I work part time in a fresh hand made cosmetics store. My favourite tv show is Mad Man, i love late 50's early 60's fashion (that Marilyn Monroe pin-up eye liner is my everyday look). I always ware heels if Im not working, I came from a migrant working class family, Im first generation to be born in an English speaking country. I inherited my grandmothers skill of looking like I came from money even though I don't. I grew up with Scandinavian pagan mythology from my grandmother who never said dreams aren't real. I have very vivid and disturbing dreams.

I'm a vegetarian sometimes vegan. If I feel like reading a trashy romance I read Jane Austin. I love dry British comedies like Red Dwarf, Black Books and the Young Ones. Im easy to get birthday present for because I like pretty things. I've been told that Im very good at polite and amusing small talk.

The fantasy, dreamy, mythology mentions make me think of the Marchen category. Perhaps something pretty and ladylike, like:

*Roses Pearls and Diamonds - "Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris."

*Vasilissa - "She herself had cheeks like blood and milk and grew every day more and more beautiful: creamy skin musk and blushing pink musk with soft sandalwood, white amber, dutiful myrrh, and star jasmine."

Maybe one of the ladies from The District:

*Hilma - "Miss Burt, while very young, is of a type that pleases most men of today - the witty, pretty, and natty - a lady of fashion...Don't forget to converse with her, as she is very clever, jolly, and cultured...Honeysuckle, Bulgarian rose, night blooming jasmine, sweet clove, cedarwood, black tea, and nectarine."

And Hollywood Babylon makes me think of pinup models:

"The essence of innocence shattered: glittering Egyptian amber and heliotrope, infused with the sweetness of strawberry and vanilla - dragged into debauch by lusty red musk and a dribble of black cherry."

So what would ya'll pick for me? I'm currently a director of a child care facility, who also teaches the four year olds. I have a hard time sticking up for myself, even when I realize I'm being taken advantage of. I give people the benefit of the doubt. You're a good person until proven otherwise. And if I like you, I tend to ignore the negatives about you. I have a sweet tooth (love desserts!). I love celtic music and hearing it live (not so keen on pure traditional, but, it has it's moments). I can be friendly and outgoing if I pretend I'm someone else or if it "doesn't matter" what others think because I'll never see them again. I'm much more conservative/quiet with people I know, even slightly. Love fantasty/sci fi. My head's usually in the clouds. I'll come up with the crazy idea, but others have to figure out how to make it work/do it.

Notewise, only honey, and rose are usually vile on me, and I'm not too keen on pimeapple, jasmine or coconut.

i wish i could answer to the previous speakers request but i'm new to BPAL and ended up here because i'm on the hunt for "my scent".

so unfortunately i can't contribute yet, only consume and learn :)

i'd love to hear your suggestion for me:

i'm 36 years old, usually guessed to be 5-8 years younger. I'm overweight and constantly on a weight loss mission.

100% german, grew up in cologne (well known for its excessive karneval - mardi gras).

I immigrated to canada in 2006 because of my canadian husband who's an industrial musician.

we bought a house, i love my garden and my 2 cats.

we are trying for a family - i really could use some fertility magic.

i change my hair fairly often and had everything from blonde to pink to black, super short, very long.

I am outspoken, spontaneous, excitable, enthusiastic, loving, caring and huggy, sometimes pottymouthed.

i used to be fun and rather loud, but now in canada i am a rather quiet observer and i feel boring.

i am worried to be perceived as rude because of being "too german".

i am not homesick but i miss my best friend and my girl-friends and their spontaneous visits.

i can be quite obsessive and when i am interested in something i can spend forever on research - i tend to deep dive.

i love industrial, wave, electronic, punk and german fun punk. i also listen to classical, I currently love Muse.

I enjoy swimming, sewing, gardening, make up, cooking and i have the feeling i might fall for BPAL.

our house is still under renovation and we do everything ourselves.

I started out as a print graphic designer, then web designer, then web developer, then PHP programmer (self-taught), then user experience designer and now i'm an information architect in a very cool advertising agency. i work mostly on facebook apps for budweiser, honda, wonderbread and johnson & johnson which is the most exciting job i had so far and that gives me a great sense of accomplishment. i am very proud of my career. the scent must work in a professional setting.

wow... first time i summarized myself in that way. now is that an eye opener :) ... and definitely not as nicely distilled as others managed to.

note to self: "hang out more with my germans"

thanks a million!!!

Edited by cyan4c

Like others here I'm just getting into BPAL. I've decided to start off with the six imp set, but I'm still a little unsure of my best options. I've already decided on trying Ranger and Rogue from the RPG category, but the remaining four are still up in the air.

I'm 22, a Political Science major with a minor in Art. I've been described as a problem solver because I'm capable of both compromising and "waging war" as the situation calls for it. I'm often the one people go to when mediation is required. This is going to sound so pretentious, but I really do value intelligence and wit in the people around me. I utilize a lot of sarcasm and self-depreciating humor, but I have zero tolerance for being insulted by some one else. I also have a long memory and can be just a teeny weensy bit vindictive when I've been wronged. That said I much prefer to have a healthy network of connections, and thus will bend over backwards to accommodate others. Close friends have described my demeanor as "sexual, but not intimate" which I can kind of agree with, and I'm most comfortable in rural, woodsy settings.

I'm not too fond of overly flowery tones, preferring darker or fiery scents. I do best with musky, bold, and some citrus fragrances. I'm leery of cinnamon because it can smell foody or holidayish, but I was thinking of trying Chimera for my multi-tonal personality. Aelopile also seems like a good bet for me. In all, I'm really looking for a scent that people will come to attribute to me, so the more distinctive the better.

So what would ya'll pick for me? I'm currently a director of a child care facility, who also teaches the four year olds. I have a hard time sticking up for myself, even when I realize I'm being taken advantage of. I give people the benefit of the doubt. You're a good person until proven otherwise. And if I like you, I tend to ignore the negatives about you. I have a sweet tooth (love desserts!). I love celtic music and hearing it live (not so keen on pure traditional, but, it has it's moments). I can be friendly and outgoing if I pretend I'm someone else or if it "doesn't matter" what others think because I'll never see them again. I'm much more conservative/quiet with people I know, even slightly. Love fantasty/sci fi. My head's usually in the clouds. I'll come up with the crazy idea, but others have to figure out how to make it work/do it.

Notewise, only honey, and rose are usually vile on me, and I'm not too keen on pimeapple, jasmine or coconut.

I am a fan of dragon's blood when it comes to a little pick-me-up in the "standing up for oneself" department, and this scent is stunningly pretty, yet soft, and makes me think "fantasy novel" whenever I wear it:

Ladon: The hundred-headed dragon that guards the garden of the Hesperides: dragon’s blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth.

A very positive, uplifting and probably even child-friendly scent would be

Tweedledum and Tweedledee

Agreed to have a battle!

For Tweedledum said Tweedledee

Had spoiled his nice new rattle.

Just then flew down a monstrous crow,

As black as a tar-barrel!

Which frightened both the heroes so,

They quite forgot their quarrel.

TWEEDLEDEE: Ridiculous! Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

This is a bright, fizzy orange scent. I personally don't wear it since it REALLY doesn't fit my personality, but I do keep an imp for the occasional uplifting sniff.

Finally, this one is an LE, but has come around often enough that it should not be impossible to track down:

SUGAR SKULL

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

Of course, the scents differ based on the person who wears it, but on me, it's pure sugar, and even though I'm usually not one for sweet perfumes or foody scents, it actually works in this one! Some reviews have likened it to a creme brulee.

Like others here I'm just getting into BPAL. I've decided to start off with the six imp set, but I'm still a little unsure of my best options. I've already decided on trying Ranger and Rogue from the RPG category, but the remaining four are still up in the air.

I'm 22, a Political Science major with a minor in Art. I've been described as a problem solver because I'm capable of both compromising and "waging war" as the situation calls for it. I'm often the one people go to when mediation is required. This is going to sound so pretentious, but I really do value intelligence and wit in the people around me. I utilize a lot of sarcasm and self-depreciating humor, but I have zero tolerance for being insulted by some one else. I also have a long memory and can be just a teeny weensy bit vindictive when I've been wronged. That said I much prefer to have a healthy network of connections, and thus will bend over backwards to accommodate others. Close friends have described my demeanor as "sexual, but not intimate" which I can kind of agree with, and I'm most comfortable in rural, woodsy settings.

I'm not too fond of overly flowery tones, preferring darker or fiery scents. I do best with musky, bold, and some citrus fragrances. I'm leery of cinnamon because it can smell foody or holidayish, but I was thinking of trying Chimera for my multi-tonal personality. Aelopile also seems like a good bet for me. In all, I'm really looking for a scent that people will come to attribute to me, so the more distinctive the better.

I have two scents which I like to fall back on when I want to project, "She's intelligent and strong, appealing but all-business when this is called for." They're not flowery, but the first one is a rather cold fragrance, while the second one would fall under the "bold" category IMHO (and some have called it "dark", possibly because of the patchouli note).

First of all, Vechernyaya, one of the Zorya:

The Zorya: Also called the Auroras. The Slavic Triple Goddesses of the Dawn, Sky and Light, who govern the paths of the day. The guard the constellation Ursa Minor from the chained Hound of Doomsday; should they ever fail in their duty, and the chain breaks, the universe will end.

Vechernyaya: The Evening Star - Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

Personally, Vech always gives me an air of soap opera villainess :)

And the second one would be Anne Bonny:

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

cyan4c: Why hello there, fellow German-now-living-on-the-north-American-continent :D

i'm 36 years old, usually guessed to be 5-8 years younger. I'm overweight and constantly on a weight loss mission.

100% german, grew up in cologne (well known for its excessive karneval - mardi gras).

I immigrated to canada in 2006 because of my canadian husband who's an industrial musician.

we bought a house, i love my garden and my 2 cats.

we are trying for a family - i really could use some fertility magic.

i change my hair fairly often and had everything from blonde to pink to black, super short, very long.

I am outspoken, spontaneous, excitable, enthusiastic, loving, caring and huggy, sometimes pottymouthed.

i used to be fun and rather loud, but now in canada i am a rather quiet observer and i feel boring.

i am worried to be perceived as rude because of being "too german".

i am not homesick but i miss my best friend and my girl-friends and their spontaneous visits.

i can be quite obsessive and when i am interested in something i can spend forever on research - i tend to deep dive.

i love industrial, wave, electronic, punk and german fun punk. i also listen to classical, I currently love Muse.

I enjoy swimming, sewing, gardening, make up, cooking and i have the feeling i might fall for BPAL.

our house is still under renovation and we do everything ourselves.

I started out as a print graphic designer, then web designer, then web developer, then PHP programmer (self-taught), then user experience designer and now i'm an information architect in a very cool advertising agency. i work mostly on facebook apps for budweiser, honda, wonderbread and johnson & johnson which is the most exciting job i had so far and that gives me a great sense of accomplishment. i am very proud of my career. the scent must work in a professional setting.

wow... first time i summarized myself in that way. now is that an eye opener ... and definitely not as nicely distilled as others managed to.

note to self: "hang out more with my germans"

thanks a million!!!

Okay, so I get fun-loving, but currently contemplative, and the scent must work in a professional setting... lessee, a few suggestions from me would be:

51: Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

It's a very well-blended scent, and nothing in it screams "I'M HERE, LOOK AT ME." It's slightly fruity, but not too fruity, while simultaneously not being too floral, either. Interesting, but not extreme.

Aizen-Myoo: A bright, bittersweet scent honoring the Japanese Deity of Love and Passion. Aizen-Myoo is one of the vidyarajas, the Shingon's Radiant Kings of Wisdom. Though Aizen-Myoo possesses the lust, grace and passion of both genders, he most often appears to his followers as male. His face is screwed into a fearsome demonic mask, but this is only the wrathful, fierce countenance he places over himself to guide and empower his children. Aizen-Myoo is the patron of prostitutes, of joyous, unbridled sexuality and of all forms of erotic love and is worshipped by all those in the sex industry, musicians, and - oddly - landlords. Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

Sounds crazy-wild in the description, but ends up being a beautiful citrussy blend that even people who HATE smelling like lemons or oranges (like me) can enjoy (I'd liken the scent to that of fresh pink grapefruits, only nicer). Once again unobtrusive, but unusual and definitely fun!

and finally (this one might be for more adventurous endeavors since it does contain noticeable patchouli... but I've never had anyone complain about it, even if they usually don't like the note):

Goblin: Dab a bit behind each ear, and you'll be instantly inspired to alter street signs, shake fruit from your neighbor's trees, and hide your roommate's car keys. Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

Like I said, the patchouli IS there, but it primarily adds a bit of grrr *cackle* to the beautiful coconut. I would have never guessed how well this combo works as a perfume, but it's definitely one of my favorites in the entire GC catalog.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Diva Urd

What a fantastic thread.

I know what scent I want to order, but I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.

My life revolves around animals - and not just at home. I also work with animals for a living. I've spent countless hours devoted to hoofed mammals, but right now I am dedicated to a canine sport called Mondioring. It combines bitework, obedience, and jumping exercises into one sport.

I suppose that's a good representation of my personality: while I can exhibit exquisite control and calmness, I'm rather feral under the surface.

Most people enjoy my company but walk away having some trouble truly grasping exactly who I am. I'm not intentionally deceptive. Well, not usually.

I write (fiction, usually fantasy, drawing heavily on demonology), draw, and spend a lot of my spare time with my dogs.

I tend to stay away from overly floral/fruity/soft scents. I think my personality is a little too heavy for that sort of thing. I'm not overbearing. Just...strong. :)

Edited by the malinoir

malinoir:

Coyote. Coyote Coyote Coyote :)

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

Smells outdoorsy, but not in the regular foresty way, and is reminiscent of the animal coyote for many reviewers.

In a similar category (at least to my nose) would be Hunter, a Gaiman scent (unimpable, but I'm sure you can find a decant).

HUNTER

He turned, and standing there was a tall woman, with long, tawny hair, and skin the color of burnt caramel. She wore dappled leather clothes, mottled in shades of gray and brown. She had a battered leather duffel bag over her shoulder. She was carrying a staff, and she had a knife at her belt and an electric flashlight strapped to her wrist. She was also, without question, the most beautiful woman that Richard had ever seen.

Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage.

A personality match might be Liz, the pyrokinetic from "Hellboy" (also unimpable, but quite popular, so even if you can't find a decant or partial, you'd probably be able to swap or sell the bottle easily enough).

LIZ

A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather.

Finally, if you don't mind the cat association, Bastet might work.

Bast, Ubasti, Ailuros, Ba-en-Aset. Represented as both a domestic cat and a fierce lioness, she truly evidences traits of both. She is the Mother of All Cats, Goddess of Sensuality, Fertility, and a guardian and protector of women. She is also one of the Eyes of Ra, and in that aspect is an Avenging Goddess, seeking retribution and punishing enemies of her people. Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

This may initially sound a bit too much on the floral or foody side, but the scent is more than the sum of its parts, as a lot of people have noticed. I got it in my first order, thinking I was taking a risk with it, and it ended up one of my two favorites out of that first imp batch :)

Okay, okay. I finally broke down after months of lurking just because I HAVE to post in this thread. :) I have been trying to find a scent that is "me" and finding it hard.

First, I'm about to graduate college with a bachelor of science degree in anthropology and archaeology. Anthropology is the study of all people in all places at all times (to put it simply). Archaeology is a subfield of this which generally involves digging a lot in the dirt in the hottest part of summer. I'm about to go abroad to get my post-grad degree in Paleopathology, which is the study of diseases you find on archaeological bones.

Personality-wise, I am sharp, intelligent, and sarcastic. I am more of a man than most guys I know, personality-wise. I am analytical and love science. Also, I am a bit air-headed; I epitomize the absent-minded professor. I remember a lot in regards to schoolwork, but anything else tends to get lost and my memory is terrible. I'm also a bit socially awkward, but am very cute, so that comes off as endearing and adorable to most people instead of creepy and uncomfortable. Additionally, I have a rich imagination. I am very self-confident, and think that I'm one of the greatest people around. I'm loyal and devoted to friends, but I don't talk about it to them, instead showing it in little ways.I'm not very emotional at all, and get confused when other people are illogically over-emotional. Also, I catch on to things -very- quickly. My thought processes are like chain lightning.

I've been described by others as an asshole, but also someone to admire because I am good at handling problems. Sweet, but that belies a keen mind (they explained it as being that I look dumb, but I shock and awe with how far from that I am. I have used this in the past to manipulate people, especially in the customer service industry ;) ). Also, "ethereal" and "flighty", and "You're poetry deep, but not 'sit in the corner smoking cloves and whining' poetry."

These are all from different people, so that is why it is a bit contradictory.

edit- Oh, I also haaate the smell of baked goods. I enjoy honey and very light vanilla, but nothing more than that.

Edited by foxon

Foxon -

Schrodinger's Cat, on me at least, was a combination of sweet/sharp/fresh and not bakery-ish, and there is a science association because of the name. It's also a good hot weather scent.

Leafy Sea Dragon -

Maybe Bewitched? I haven't tried it, but it seems to have foresty and herbal tea associations for a lot of people, and it doesn't sound very aggressive or sultry.

Edited by Floria

About me -

I'm a big old geek. My particular areas of geeky interest are history, literature, and tabletop roleplaying gaming - I'm not really a tech person at all, despite spending too much time online. :P I majored in history in college, and am currently working part-time as a preschool aide and child-care worker.

I love animals, and spent most of my childhood surrounded by pets. Sea creatures, corvids, and small rodents are some of my favorites.

Most of my social life revolves around Dungeons and Dragons. If I were a D&D character I'd probably be a gnome alchemist or bard. I'm also an amateur writer (mostly fantasy) and do a lot of baking and herb gardening. Terry Pratchett is my favorite author.

My public persona is gentle, polite, and rather quiet, but very quirky once you actually get me talking. I'm a divergent thinker with an active imagination and a rather odd sense of humor.

In terms of personal style, I go for feminine but low-maintenance, with a slightly hippyish edge. Oddly enough, I tend to come across as more conservative than I am to some people who think long skirts + long hair + not showing much skin adds up to "member of conservative religious group" rather than "granola girl who gets cold easily."

I'm a relative beginner to the perfume world, and open to exploring a wide range of scent types.

Edited by Floria

Wow, what a neat thread! I've been around BPAL for a bit, but I'm always open to new suggestions (there's waaaaay too many scents for me to remember them all).

Okay, here's me:

I'm a guy. But I'm not terribly masculine. I prefer reading and art to outdoors and sports.

I love sweet things (smells, tastes, etc). I'm generally a pretty good guy, though I do have days when I just want to be a bit...bad?

I'm introverted, and 99.9999% when at a social function, will stand against a wall watching everyone else. At the same time, if someone makes the effort to come and talk to me, I'll befriend them easily.

I'm loyal to a fault, which has resulted in me putting up with a ton of BS from people (it takes a lot to get me mad). But, this has resulted in some of the closest friends I have.

I have a dry sense of humor. I loathe most modern comedies, mainly because they're low and/or crude humor.

As far as relationships, I'm the "best friend/boy next door" type. I'm the one that the person I really like will come up and talk to me about their love life problems, because I'm "one of the guys/girls", or like a brother to them, or a good friend. Not always a fun place to be. :/

PS: My most favoritest favorite scents so far are Eat Me and Bones Trombone. ;)

Protoomega-

Maybe Miskatonic University? Reviews suggest it smells like Irish coffee in an old library.

Floria, you now have a whole RPG scent to pick from! ;) But outside of that, I would go with Delphi. The incense will give you that hippy edge, with the honey wine bringing out a sweet, girlish side. Bonus: Delphi for the history nerds (unite!), and I bet sitting around Apollo's magic fumes would at least warm you up a bit.

Thanks, Diva Urd. That was the exact type of emotion that I was trying to project. I'll be sure to try those out. :)

Oo oo oo! Me next, me next! :D

I'm short, blonde, geeky and pretty hilarious -- or so the rumor goes. I'm female, 25 years old, (going on 42), and have always been seen as "one of the boys" by all of the girls. I have a minor in Computer Programming languages with quite a few extra credits dumped into English and Japanese. My chosen career involves scripting and translation for video games but, alas, I am celebrating my fifth year behind a desk at a veterinary clinic. I always wanted to be Indiana Jones when I grew up, but it turns out I'm much more suited for obsessive compulsive levels of research and bug collecting rather than tomb-raiding. (Sigh.)

I enjoy space operas, (Star Wars, Mass Effect & Firefly), feudal fiction (Robin Hood, Dragon Age, anything involving samurai), pirates (steampunk and sky-pirates are bonuses!), and all around scoundrels. My sunny side, which I like to keep under wraps, thrives on conflict, snark, and puns (really, really bad ones).

I grew up in Las Vegas, so I'm a desert girl: lots of sand and sun and sky. The smells of creosote, chlorine and wet concrete make me a happy person. Tombstone (vanilla, balsam, sassafras, cedar) and Antikythera Mechanism (teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco) are my first purchases -- waiting on them to arrive, any day now -- and Good (musk, vanilla, honey, acacia, and sugar cane) and Soldier (musk, vanilla, black tea, black pepper, leather, and pie) are already on my wishlist.

I should also point out that I enjoy costuming and cosplay: I am a heavy fighter in the Society for Creative Anachronism, a future member of the Mandalorian Mercenaries (as soon as I can convince aluminum plating to complement my curves), and have been known to attend comic and anime conventions as Integra Hellsing and Celes Chere (strong women I admire). My upcoming costume list consists of Commander Jane Shepard's N7 armor, Varric Tethras crossplay, and a genderbent Vash the Stampede.

Have at!

So I've lurked for a while here and just signed up so I could post on this thread. I recently got some money and want to buy perfumage, and thus want recommendations. =P

My name's Rachael, I'm 19 and working at an engineering company as a grunt. Moved out of my parents house when I was 17, worked at a library for a while, moved north to go to school for virtual technology and design, dropped out because I couldn't afford it. I'm engaged.

I've always been a huge reader and I collect books obsessively - I have a several hundred of them I lug around despite the fact I move often. I'm obsessed with fantasy worlds and imagination, and am in the process of finishing writing a novel. I also ballroom dance quite a bit.

I am a Star Trek fan, obsessed with logic, a rather emotionless cynic. Some people have nicknamed me "Spock." I am a Myers-Briggs INTP. Things must be internally consistent. I am skilled with words, debate, I carry an extreme distrust for rhetoric. I cannot handle large crowds. I am good at real time strategy games.

I am a very cheerful person, largely because being unhappy is uncomfortable, and I like comfort. I make the best out of every situation and tend to smile constantly.

I was raised in an extremely religious protestant household, but left Christianity because I found it was internally inconsistent despite the fact my emotions were still involved. I was homeschooled and am still very naive and trusting. I tend to be very quiet and shy, preferring to watch from a corner and keep my thoughts to myself. Unless it's a strong issue on which people are stupid - like politics or religion.

Might have just been my crappy upbringing of deprivation, but I'm a fan of the whole 'sex' thing and like it often, intense, and kinky.

I have an affinity for horror and dark, dramatic writing. I am drawn to the goth, the creepy, the vampire (but am a little too cheerful to pull it off). I like rain and moss and dust and darkness and musk and longing and fantasy, but I don't like fruits or foods or blatant flowerishness.

Physically I am tall, skinny and pale, with long black hair and green eyes.

Anyway that's about it for me. I'd love to hear what scents you recommend!

Edited by StickWitch