Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salem

Medicine, medicinal notes

I've searched and found no particular thread for this so forgive me if I've missed something.

I have a current obsession with Kunstkammer, always have but recently it has gotten worse. To me it smells like old orange medicine and that's what's sparked this sudden urge to generally smell like any sort of medicine. So! What other oils have that medical note? Doesn't necessarily have to be a sweet cough syrup note although that would be nice. I find Absinthe falls into this category too, so perhaps down that route also? Although not too heavy on the old aniseed as it can give me a bit of a headache.

Thanks in advance!

Bat of Health! Dead on. It smells just like the cough syrup I got as a kid and I love it! I'd also put The Apothecary in the "medicine" category, and also Against Idleness and Mischief & Litha (both smell like chamomile tea with honey to me). Also Purple Phoenix and Tum (grape cough syrup), or Blood Amber and Blood Kiss.

Madrid is discontinued and might be a little hard to find, but I think it smells like cough syrup. Wearable cough syrup, though. Red Queen also has a boozy kind-of cherry vibe, as does Phantom Calliope from the CD. And I think Ochosi smells a bit like calamine lotion, which my mom used to put on poison ivy rash and mosquito bites when I was a kid.

Jabberwocky is a bit like Vick's Vapor rub - but in a good way. I know there are other menthol smelling blends, but I forget, since those were too medicinal. Jabberwocky is happy medicine.

Hooray! Someone else who appreciates the medicinal scents! :clap:

Kathmandu is gorgeous - vaguely bandage-y, with a sweet mentholated note. Aged it is even better - I have a bottle of Old Kathmandu that is my baby :wub: It's so comforting - I wear it when I can't get warm, or when I'm feeling poorly...

Sri Lanka is another favorite - the myrrh & gum mastic really stand out when it's fresh, & the dry woods give it a pleasant sharpness.

The Wrestler, from Sakuracon this year, has a similar feel - brown & menthol-y, but with more honey & a bit of tartness.

Pontia, from last year's Lupercalias, is lavender & bergamot, & the combination reminds me of a delicious infused honey cough mixture.

The Norn's Farmhouse has all kinds of great herbs in it, & the horehound gives it that nice medicinal sweetness.

Also seconding Against Idleness & Litha '09 for herby, honeyed goodness.

I would also be interested in finding more of the menthol-ish scents! Jabberwocky sounds like I might need to give it a try.

I would also be interested in finding more of the menthol-ish scents! Jabberwocky sounds like I might need to give it a try.

I was surprised how good Jabberwocky smells! I knew it has a lot of eucalyptus, so I tested it today. I'm coming down with a cold, so it sounded perfect, and it was. Lifted my bad mood up too, it really is a happy eucalyptus. :D

I have these listed under "Mint, medical, astringent" on the Scent Notes page of my spreadsheet. WHUT. YES. I HAVE MULTI-PAGE SPREADSHEET FOR BPAL.

Baku, Burial, Jabberwocky, Kathmandu, Loup Garou, Mad Hatter, Oneiroi, Pain, Red Devil, Undertow, Wolfsbane

(and LE) Bitter Moon, Ded Moroz, Dragon Moon, Schwarzer Mond

I have to say that Pain...and Winter stress relief 07 (unreleased) should be considered. Esp. Pain. Lavendar and pennyroyal. :yum:

Raven Moon is very medicinal to me in the bottle ~ sort of cough syrupy/herbal lozenge kinda thing. It mellows on my skin, but in my scent locket if stays pretty much the same medicine like smell all day.

For those who are specifically interested in eucalyptus scents, there is a thread here. And if you find that you really, really want more medicine than perfume, the Panacea category is a gold mine. For example, OOF is super menthol-eucalyptus and is really heavenly if you are congested! Even the ones that aren't in the "relief" category seem a bit medicinal to me, I think it's the way that they are all very organic, essential-oils-only in feel.

Even when cherry notes give me a brief memory of cherry cough syrup, it doesn't turn me off a scent too much. But I can remember eating entire tins of cherry Sucrets when left to my own devices as a kid :lol: What does bother me is an orangey-baby aspirin smell. I don't think there's any such think as baby aspirin these days since it can cause Reyes syndrome and there are so many alternative fever & pain meds for kids, but those of a certain age will remember those orange flavored St. Joseph's baby aspirin :sick: I get a little bit of that from Kunstkammer since it is so predominantly orange. Luckily, Beth seems to offset sweet citrus notes with other interesting things that are spicy or resinous, so I haven't ever gotten a true snozz full of baby aspirin from BPAL blend. (But I do have a curse - if I try to mix up a cocktail without using some kind of bartender's guide or a recipe, 95% of the time it tastes like baby aspirin. Really! But that's probably a discussion for Eat, Drink & Be Merry)

Penny Dreadful smells like a vitamin or a health food shop. Also kinda like tahini. You know how a medicine cabinet has that musty, medicinal smell? It's kinda like that.

I don't like it, but maybe somebody out there would find it comforting. :D

Tombstone is all Bandaids on me and The Dodo smells a lot like red oil, to those of you who know what that is.

Penny Dreadful smells like a vitamin or a health food shop. Also kinda like tahini. You know how a medicine cabinet has that musty, medicinal smell? It's kinda like that.

wow. penny dreadful smells like spicy, dusty dirt on my skin.

i was going to recommend hemlock but silvertarna beat me to it.

wow. penny dreadful smells like spicy, dusty dirt on my skin.

i was going to recommend hemlock but silvertarna beat me to it.

I wish! :lol:

Nosferatu is fabulous on me! I don't know why Penny Dreadful isn't :(

I'm gonna let it age and see if it gets better. My imp was fresh from the Lab.

The Apothecary is my ultimate pharmacy scent. Although it has no sweetness, no syrup notes.

Just straight up astringent and medicinal.

Thorns had a medicinal bitterness to it.

And I want to say that Silk Road had a funky cough syrup thing going on...but I'm not sure if I am remembering that right. It might be Kathmandu I'm thinking of.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Seconding Ded Moroz, which gave me that Vicks Vaporub feeling at the back of my throat. I think it's the "snow" note that does that.

Also, The Jersey Devil smelled like berry-scented cough drops to me, and I thoughr The Montauk Project had an herbal-medicinal quality as well. (I think it was the cypress.)

Medicine Show *cough* *gag* is without a doubt the ultimate apothecary scent, but definitely not up my alley. I can't stand herbals.

Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand smells of a bit like cough syrup to me, a nice smelling cough syrup.

Ditto. It smells like fruity (cherry?) cough syrup that starts strong and lingers ghostly in the background. It's really pretty :)