Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Hemlock Honey

Hemlock honey.

Wet on my skin, I'm just getting honey. I had to look up what hemlock is supposed to smell like and I found descriptions comparing it to a musty or mice-like smell.

I'm not sure I am really getting anything musty out of this though. Well, maybe a little. :unsure:

The honey note settles down considerably as it dries, but it's still mostly just honey on my skin.

"Mice-like" is a good description for how this smelled on my arm for the first 10 minutes or so...it was bitter and really quite foul. It morphed into almost all honey after that, though--right now after about 2 hours all I smell is honey. That hemlock stage is truly scary though.

Thankfully I didn't get a mice-like or musty smell form this. At first application it was a pleasant, herbal-tinged O. Now after about half an hour it smells nearly identical to O on me, maybe a little "cleaner" or fresher than O. Nice!

Hemlock Honey – I didn’t expect to enjoy this scent since in the vial it smells strongly like the Rappaccini’s Garden scent Hemlock (which to me smells very green and medicinally-herbal and a lot like the Simple Green cleaning product); however, once it dries down on my skin, it really takes to my skin chemistry. I still smell the hemlock in this, but the honey is the strongest note and they blend together really well, and the sweetness of the honey smooths over any of the medicinal qualities Hemlock tends to have on my skin. I actually really like this one!

I'm definitely getting straightup honey in the bottle. On my skin, pretty much HONEY!!! with a hint of medicinal note coming out. We'll see what happens. Medicinal honey. Eh.

Edited by Venneh

imp: hmmm... just like the scent hemlock but with an added dose of honey.

wet: yep, this is a sweeter version of hemlock, which is fine with me, hemlock is a bit too strong on me.

dry: this dries to be a fainter, sweeter version of hemlock.

The lab's Hemlock blend smells oddly like sage, bubblegum, and a hint of medicinal eucalyptus on me, and I get that same smell here. The addition of honey makes it more enjoyable, but it also makes this blend a little too sweet for me. After about 15 minutes, this is almost all honey, with just a little bit of something medicinal drowning underneath the sweet, golden honey.

Out of the 4 current honey blends in R's Garden, I find this to be the sweetest and most heavy on the honey note.

Edited by Little Bird

I was another one worried about the hemlock note in this. Every honey scent i've tried has been very little honey and very much the other items mixed in. But not the case with this one. This is very sweet honey. I agree that it's a lighter, sweeter, more feminine O. I don't get medicinal but I do get something floral. Just a tinge of floral to make the honey that much more sweeter/feminine.

I think this could be a bottle purchase.

Golden medicinal honey, with a touch of hemlock. It's green, sweet, and very herbal. :wub2:

This is my first imp from the aviary! Frimped from the Lab - I don't know what to expect here, I have never smelled hemlock before.

In the imp, this is a strangely lime green oil, and smells like green honey.

On wet - OMG WOW. This is freaking amazing! Herbal honey, warm, golden green . . . mmfh. Why did I not try these sooner? And may this be a bottle purchase?

Drydown - This this is sheer genius. Sweet mother of God. Definitely keeping the imp, and am considering a bottle. This is medicinal, green honey - if medicinal isn't your thing, you won't be impressed, but I for one love it, and I love this oil!

this is a pretty straight forward blend that doesn't morph much on me, so i'm just going to post my general impressions instead of my normal stepped reviews.

straight up, it's a very medicinal but not astringent blend. it smells like honeyed cough drops, or faintly like the organic section at wegman's (this is going to be a very imagery heavy review...). i agree that this smells a lot like hemlock, though this is obviously a sweeter blend. it's a very green blend that borders on masculine but the honey keeps it from going too far into masculine.

my initial reaction to the scent is that it gives me a lot of scent memories- the first being the girl scout camp i went to for years in the southern tier of new york. the second being...eddie bauer, the clothing store? i'm not sure why, unless at one point they had a body product that smelled like this. but i definitely get mental images of the eddie bauer store that used to be in Utica. either way it's a very earthy, warm green blend as opposed to some of the yule greens that i've tried.

it's a vaguely, oddly sexual blend but i'm not sure that i would call this a cousin to O either. it's very...safe (but not mundane). it reminds me of skin milk (a brand of body creme that walmart used to sell) on late dry down but it could just be my body chemistry, and i liked the way skin milk smelled.

In the Imp: Hemlock. I love Hemlock.

Wet on Skin: like Hemlock, but slightly sweet

While Drying: This lacks some of the effervescence of plain Hemlock. It is fairly similar to my experiment layering Hemlock with O.

After a Little While: Ahh, there's the brightness! And, wow, it is amping. The menthol scent is swamping the evergreen scent at this point. The honey is there if I search for it. The wafting scent is better than the skin-close scent.

Later: In time, this balances out more. I love the way the evergreen and honey scents mingle. The throw is… spicy honey. HH seems to last better than the other apiary blends I've tried.

Final Thoughts: It will be interesting to see how this ages. At this point, I don't think I need a bottle, because I can achieve the same effect (and tailor it to my taste) by layering, but age might reveal an added oomph. I'm glad this one is GC so I have time to decide.

Hemlock Honey earns a 4/5 on my skin.

Hemlock to me smells very similar to what Little Bird says: sage-like notes and medicinal eucalyptus. It's strong, but honey is also a strong note on my skin. It's like an herbal menthol honey, so yes, it does smell medicinal. In the background I get the tiniest smidge of something that smells spicy - sort of like all spice.

Unfortunately, the honey is the type that smells like funk on me. Boo.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I approached the Apiary scents a little warily, because while I love honey scents, most of Rappacini's Garden smells far too herbal-medicinal on my skin for my tastes. I'm happy to report, however, that Hemlock Honey is a winner! Warm golden honey, lent a fresh green tang from the hemlock. Not medicinal, not overwhelming, and it stays pretty consistent from imp to drydown. This one goes on my bottle purchase list!

In the bottle - Quite a high pitched floral honey, with an almost toffee like note in the background

Wet on me - The honey gets sweeter and heavier, but there's still quite a sharp floral in there too

Dry on me - Soft warm honey with little spikes of green

Overall - Simillar to Daphne Honey, but this more honey and Daphne has more green

Very medicinal (sp?) when wet, but when dry this seems to be straight up honey with a slight kick. Very nice!

Edited by DeltaCat

Oh, this is lovely! I want to keep smelling my wrist--I got frimped this by the Lab, threw it on and really love it. There's a lot of honey, but a slight tang that comes from the hemlock note (I think) so that the honey isn't overpowering. I think I'll definitely get a bottle! :)

~Lily~

I am ordering a bottle of this wee frimper. Lovely thing, though the initial phase is menthol like. But what a payoff. Sweet and magical. Though I did hear a mouse squeak a few times at the start. :twisted:

Imp: Whoa. The honey from O cut with a sharp, pine-y scent. This is pretty rad.

Wet: Sweet, gooey, thick honey and a lovely sort of greenery from the hemlock. It really, really reminds me of O.

Dry: I might have to death match this with O. It is a perfect, sultry, warm honey perfectly cut by the greenery of the hemlock. It reminds me of a combination of O and Hexennacht 08. It's really damn sexy. A little outdoorsy, very natural and very skin close and inviting. Kind of a witch queen vibe--this is a good thing. The honey scent is just the teensiest bit... carnal? I'm a little stunned by how damn sexy I find this scent. It's like O but better.

Throw: Mild to moderate. Quite frankly, this would be utterly disgusting if it had a huge throw. This is not the type of scent you want to be broadcasting out to the entire room.

Overall: I really, quite like this. I'm getting down to the bottom of my current bottle of O and I might replace it with Hemlock Honey. A surprise standout from the Apiary. Thanks to the lab for the excellent frimp!

I was frimped this scent and I love it so, so much. I'm tearing through the imp at breakneck speed, I can't get enough of it.

At first application there's the hemlock - it is kind of a strange, dry-light-musky-herbal scent, not entirely appealing...but then the honey comes out and mixes with it, and it's a beautiful honey, thick, heavy, sexy, amazing. And the musky scent blends into it perfectly, it becomes kind of a light skin musk helping the honey scent mesh with your natural, animalistic body odor. But in kind of a light, airy way - this is really an unusual blend.

I love this to death. This'll be a bottle as soon as finances afford. (Also, I've been experimenting with layering it with Dorian. It's incredible.)

ohmygosh, definitely honey(!). wet & first on, it's a beautiful blend of honey and hemlock (which my nose can only recognize as a cedary scent?). on drydown and for the rest of the day, it is strictly honey. it's very warm and sweet and pleasant, but honey can be a little overwhelming of a scent on/to me and my tummy, so i'm afraid i'm going to have to find another good home for this one!

IMP: honey and woodsy. fern and conifer.

WET ON SKIN: herbal, sweet, and pointed but delicate.

DRY DOWN: I can't stop sniffing my wrist!!! this is a wonderful scent! a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

Would buy a bottle for sure!

Wet this is straight up honey a-la the O variety. Actually, if I didn't know better, I would've thought I was wearing O. Hmm, I wonder if I amp honey then ... something to think about.

Personally, I'm not a fan of honey on my skin. I like it well enough, but after a while I have this urge to get it off my skin. Not because it smells, bad, or that it's too much, I just personally don't like smelling like honey. However, I did give this a chance to dry completely and wear for about 45 min and now it's manageable and even ... nice. It's sweet, a little resinous, but nothing overpowering. I do get a complete honey vibe from it - there's no mistaking it for anything else. But I don't get anything "hemlock" with it.

Don't think I'll ever buy a bottle of it. But I might put a little on from my imp every now and then.