Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Deadly Nightshade Honey

Deadly nightshade honey.

In the imp: Very green.

Wet: Mm, the honey comes out but it's still a very "green" scent.

Dry: Where did the honey go? :( It's straight up soap on me. Hmph. If only my body chemistry was better.

I received this as a frimp today, and despite being hesitant about the nightshade, decided to give it a try.

My first impression is of a very clean scent. The honey is soft and golden, but the floral notes are green and crisp, which doesn't really appeal to me. As it dries it kind of smells like Irish Spring soap covered in honey. The honey is very distinct from the smoky smell.

This isn't terrible on me, but I don't know if I can ever grow to like green, soapy smells. I'll probably pass this on to someone who can appreciate it.

Edited to add: After a while the green scent actually fades away, which is fantastic. I am so glad this was included with my order, as the honey scents I picked out for myself do not agree with my skin at all. What I am left with is a dry honey scent, almost like a white sandalwood and honey combo. Lovely, and totally worth getting through the soap phase.

Edited by whataboutprom

This is the first honey I've tried that doesn't go awful on me. A very interesting scent; wet it's very strong and green, with a cool - close to menthol on my skin - tingle. It's like I'm breathing in the color green. For a few minutes after that it smells like a sophisticated version of Love's Baby Soft. Once it dries down the honey becomes much more dominant and the greenness subsides. This ends up a soft, very true clover honey scent.

I like this a lot more than I thought I would. Very nice for a warm Spring day, I think. A cuddly skin scent once drydown is complete.

ETA: Also lasts a very long time, indeed - after seven or eight hours, it was still going strong.

Edited by OctoberGwen

In the imp: Kinda lemony-herby green-ness?

Wet: Sharp lemony herbals.

Dry: Really nice honey with a musty, fuzzy herbal note in the background.

Being a honey blend lover and having had mixed results on the blends from this particular series, I read over the reviews of the ones I hadn't yet tried and ordered two imps -- this one and Oleander Honey (which still awaits me in my "to be tested" box). Hoping for a blend where the honey is detectable but offset by other notes that I love and that keep it from being TOO in-your-face sweet.

IN THE IMP: Sharply green and herbal with virtually no sweetness. In fact, I don't even get any honey in the imp. So far so good, since I know the honey itself will amp on me since it always does.

Applied to wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: Upon application, it seems to have a great balance of honey (which does amp) and the sharp green herbal scent. Slightly medicinal, very green and gold. I am getting excited ...

DRYDOWN: ... and then I return to earth. Within about 10 minutes, the two sides basically combust on me. I have no idea why or how, but the result is unpleasant. Plastic, old lady scent. It actually required a washoff and still lingers on for hours even afterwards.

OVERALL: Sadly, this joins several of its RG Apiary brethren in my swap box. I continue to hold out hope for Oleander Honey, and if that doesn't work, well, I'll always have my precious Hemlock Honey.

On a scale of 1-5, a 1.5

In the imp: Slightly green and medicinal smelling

Wet: The initial greenness gives way to a warm, slightly powdery honey.

Dry: Very much like the wet stage, except a little more soft and rounded.

I was unsure if I'd even like this as it smelled quite medicinal in the vial. But after application, this is just amazing! It's sweet honey with a backbone of greenery and incense. The greenery and incense combo, at least on my skin, gives this blend an almost masculine scent, which leans more toward a high end cologne. You'd think that this would be off putting, but it just adds a wonderful androgynous aspect to the sticky sweet honey. I also find this combination of greenery, incense/cologne keeps the honey from becoming too saccharine. Love it!

In the imp: Sweet, and green. An herbal scent dripped in honey.

Wet on my skin: Much stronger herbal scent, almost medicinal.

Dry: Powdery herbal, like an herbal scented baby powder.

Sometime later: It has gone minty, but still powdery. Like baby powder mixed with peppermint.

Conclusion: I think I like it. I wish there had been even the barest hint of honey on me but it is soft and light and wearable. It is one of the better frimps on me.

In the imp - Clean and herbal, almost like soap.

Wet - Aaaand we have honey. I’m worried this will erupt into the nightmare most honey turns into on me.

Drydown - This is actually quite nice. It’s a little sharp, but it’s still far mellower than most honeys I’ve tried.

Verdict - Surprisingly OK for a honey scent. If honey gives you trouble, this might be a love-it-or-hate-it scent for you.

I got this imp years ago, and back then I noted it smelled like "wet diaper florals". Unfortunately, over three years later, I'm getting the same thing. Honey is a VERY tempermental note on me, some work and some are... wet diaper!

This starts of flovely--deadly nightshade works very well on me as a floral note--but unfortunately, all of the honeys in the Rappacinni's Garden line have a component that goes sour on me.

No clue what deadly nightshade smells like, but I am stoked to try this.

Wet: Raw honey, and a floral that I can only assume is deadly nightshade. It's a rather green floral. Fairly nondescript. Nice though. But it's not blowing my mind.

Dry: Soft honey and that gentle floral note. It's pretty, but I like some of the other Apiary scents better.

Edited by LizziesLuck

Oh my, poisonous honey. I love it. Sharp in the bottle, but the honey comes out when wet on my skin, but as it dries down the nightshade sneaks in and balances out the sweet honey. This is such a lovely balance of sweet and malice.

In the imps: it smells like a dangerous, herbal honey. Not sure how to describe it with other words!

Wet on skin: it mostly smells like dark honey, strongly so, with herbs hanging around. It reminds me of something medicinal as others have already said, and it's quite strong.

Dry on skin: it doesn't morph much so there really isn't anything else I feel like I need to add. However, once it's fully dried and winded down, it reminds me of something plasticky note but it's not really unpleasant. In fact, I believe this scent is just the remaining trace of honey. It never was particularly sweet or bright.

Conclusion: I could still smell some honey 12 hours after application, and that's what makes me like it. I like my perfumes long-lasting, haha. When freshly applied, it has a good throw but when it fully dries down, it stays closer to the skin.

Edited by bunnyechoes

This is green honey. To me it's a lightly coniferous, lightly herbal, floral honey. I seem to get a touch of blue spruce, or something like it, and something like chamomile, and a shadowy floral. And a straightforward honey in the background.

I didn't have any expectations for this free sample, but I love it. It seems to mix a little winter into an otherwise spring fragrance. Beautiful.

Smells like evergreen honey. Then the honey starts amping to headache inducing levels. Why do the Rappaccini's honeys never work on me?

Edited by roseus

Imp: dark herbal and sweet
Wet on Me: mmmmm i get that dark herbal with the pale foundation of honey sweetness.
Drying Down: oooh oooh oooh the honey note is overpowering the dark herbal note. not sure about this....
Dry: I'm sad. It's mostly honey on me with a faint trace of the nightshade herbal note. I'm not always fond of honey scents. I think I amp them bad.

A strong wet green smell. I'm not sure I'm picking up much actual honey (although it's definitely sweet) the way I can in Honeyed Apple, say. But it doesn't get cloying (the green herbalness takes care of that) and it seems to have amazing throw.

This is not at all green on me, which is a little disappointing, but instead I get an earthy, almost chocolatey note that I really like. The honey in this is nice and light, verging on floral; BPAL's honey notes tend to amp heavily on me but this one doesn't. The honey is a bit powdery, and it smells overall like some kind of fancy honeyed chocolate truffle with powdered sugar and maybe even rose petals/water. I like it, but I'm not sure I need a bottle.

frimp from the BPTP! i smell honey with some grassiness at first. it's quite pretty and i like it more than i expected i would. after about 10 minutes it's mostly a pure honey note with a hint of grassiness. this was a surprise like. glad to have gotten this frimp, it smells pretty gorgeous on me.

Soft and almost fuzzy. As it dries, the honey pops more and it's like a greenery wreath with a hint of honey in the breeze. It smells fresh and alive, and I like it a lot.

Where I'd wear this: On a rainy spring day, with the windows open

Deadly Nightshade Honey is the first apiary blend I've tried. In the imp, there is a harsh herbal smell which softens as soon as it hits my skin. For quite a while it maintains a dominant herbal note, something sharp and green playing off the sweetness of the honey. Then the balance shifts and after a couple of hours it is almost all honey. This is really interesting! Season-wise, it seems like a May-June smell, although it also plays well in the punishing late summer heat we've been having.

In the imp: Honey with a sharp edge, a smell that to me is almost like the tartness of green, unripe berries.

On my skin:

On the initial application, the green, tart smell rises immediately to the surface. Within a few minutes, that dies down, and I'm left with a soft, almost powdery honey. I could definitely see where it could turn soapy on some skin chemistries, but so far it's avoiding that with me. I also think the powdery aspect is keeping the honey note from becoming cloying, which is my main pitfall with honey.

Deadly Nightshade Honey starts off with a light, golden honey with an herbal, green tinge to it. There's also a soft minty aspect to the deadly nightshade note. The herbal note increases with strength during wear, and it ends up being a green, herbal scent backed by the light honey note after several hours. I never got any sharpness from this, although I suspect that could be because this imp is an aged imp.

I like this more than I thought I would, but I'm not sure if I would end up reaching for it. That said, I think this and Hemlock Honey are the honeys I appreciate most from the apiary thus far. :)

Edited by doomsday_disco

Spicy green honey! It almost smells a little minty, but not quite. The honey is very sugary, which compliments the green notes nicely. It's sweet, but with an undercurrent of danger. :) I could see this one becoming addictive for me.

In the imp: Honey, but also something darkly herbal. It doesn't morph much once on -- very distinctly honey, but that herbal undertone tones down the sweetness just a tad and adds complexity. Most BPALs featuring honey that I've tried have been pretty strictly gourmand scents, so this is a really interesting and fresh take on honey. Has some serious throw, so I imagine my imp will last quite a while.