Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Resurrected

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

First Impression: White pepper and a lot of it.

Dries down to: Pepper and cloves. Then, the cinnamon makes an appearance.

Additional Comments: This is a very "dry" scent on me. The cinnamon is definitely not sweet at all. I don't think I like it by itself but it may work well for layering with some of the sweeter blends to tone them down a bit. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 2.5/5

Edited by Shollin

resurrected version

i adored the original so i was happy to have some more. having said that their are variances from the original, but this is still gorgeous.

in the bottle: white pepper, and clove.

wet: a note i can not place rifles through the wet stage, it is not a bad note. i just can't place it. the cinnamon comes in to play. i however do not get red hots, or even sweetish type cinnamon. this is dry dry cinnamon bark the cloves peek in and duck out of sight repeatedly and the white pepper is sprinkled over the whole thing

as it dries, the uin (unidentifiable note) evaporates leaving a well balanced blend, very reminecent of the original version. i am happy.

thanks beth

When I first opened my bottle of Three Witches, I swear it smelled like BBQ sauce. :P

On and dry, the weird BBQ odor dissapates and I'm left with cinnamon, clove and the white pepper which are really harmonious together. I also get a vanilla or tonka note that sweetens it up a bit. I'm not sure that I'll wear this one on its own, but it will be great for blending, which is what I bought it for.

In the bottle: It's like a malevolent version of Gingerbread Poppet -- spices without the sweetness to mellow it out.

On, wet: Cinnamon and clove, mostly. The pepper is less obvious, but it's definitely there.

Drydown: Warm cinnamon and pepper.

I like it! I like it even better than Gingerbread Poppet for spicy scents, mostly because it's not as sweet.

This is yummy! I wish I had bought two bottles instead of only one.

I can easily detect both the cinnamon and the clove in perfect balance. For the first couple of minutes, there was also a strange smell that I can't describe and didn't like. Perhaps an aspect of the white pepper? Fortunately, that faded fast, leaving just a hint of something a bit earthy to round out the cinnamon and clove.

The perfect spicy scent!

Three Witches (resurrected) is just what it claims to be. The white pepper serves as a dry top note, with the cinnamon following closely behind. The cloves don't become apparent until the cinnamon has burned off a little. To my nose, the last stages of this smell like an unsmoked clove cigarette. All in all, on my skin it smells very much like Yankee Candle's Home Sweet Home.

I like Three Witches, but it lacks the complexity that really turns me on, and it burns off very quickly (within 2 hours). I think it's going to be awesome in my oil burner.

I love cinnamon sticks, and even cinnamon potpourri, but I just can't make myself love Three Witches. I don't get any clove at all, and only the barest pepper if I really look, but the cinnamon stands up and screams its fool head of on me. And it isn't even really cinnamon-y. It's more Big Red gum. What a disappointment.

Hmm, I'm going to need to let this one age a while, I think. The imp I have of the discontinued version is more...blended? I don't really know how to say it. The 2005 revisited version I'm wearing now is straight up cinnamon with very little clove and white pepper. I love cinnamon, but in the old version, it's playing a little nicer with the other notes and seems a bit more mellow and smooth. In the new version, it's very spiky and sharp.

I know in time I will love it, though.

three witches. well, i do get a lot of the red hots/dentyne thing. i smell a bit of pepper, not so much clove. i wish i could smell more clove. it's definitely a pleasant scent - kind of rough and dry, like a cat's tongue. but i can't help associating it with cinnamon mouthwash, or something like that. not sure when or how i'll use this one, but i'm sure i'll figure out something.

I never tried the original, so I can't compare to the resurrected, which is reviewed here.

In the bottle and upon initial application this is very dry and sharp - lots of cinnamon bark and pepper it seems. It has almost a yucky medicinal quality. Much to the dismay of myself and my cubicle mates (yes, it has a lot of throw at this point. There was a resounding "what is that smell??" and not in a good way.)

But after about 15-20 minutes - whoa! The 3 main notes balance themselves out, leaving an overall nice warm spice. And on me it sweetens up too - i get a smidge of an Bengal-like honey sweetness thrown in there. And the throw lessens (but in a good way if you're at work.)

I LOVE this. (But I will apply it before I leave the house in the AM. Or before I leave to go home to the boy. Or on lunch break. You get the idea.)

Edited by wolfie13

Wet: a campfire with bacon cooking on it.

Dry: faint cinnamon redhots and a giant rasher of bacon next to a campfire.

NOT my scent at all. :P

This was always one of my "geez, I sure wish that hadn't been discontinued before I got into BPAL, it sounds perfect" scents, so I jumped at the chance for a resurrected bottle.

I too get that weird barbecue/bacon type scent at first sniff out of the bottle, but I actually kind of like it, though it's not at all expected. Deeper inhalation gives me a deep, husky clove, beautifully blended with a warm (not hot) cinnamon.

On, the predominant scent I get is still clove, which I adore (and associate with my time spent in Cambridge, when I was wearing cloves in my hair and ears as well as chewing them) but it's deliciously, flawlessly-- not sweetened, but sort of... comforted? by the cinnamon, which is such a homey, bakery type smell, though there's no hint of bakery sweetness about this blend-- and then on the other hand, given a wonderful kick by the white pepper. Perfection. I love it. More!

Edited by Savannah

Thanks to the meet n' sniff I got to give Three Witches a try. Feel the love Lissa! :P I had already ordered a bottle, which I am still waiting for from the lab.

In the bottle: cinnamon and white pepper.

Wet: CINNAMON!!!!

Dry down: CINNAMON!!!!! Pure unadulterated, not sweet in the slightest, cinnamon. Oh cinnamon, why did you have to be a big bully? You tied up clove and pepper so they couldn't come and play. Then you beat me up! :D

30 minutes: cinnamon sings an aria, and won't shut up. Cinnamon has taken over the whole opera! Well, Lissa gets this one when it comes, since it loves her and not me. I so wanted this one to work. The name, the notes, all should have been perfect for me, or so I thought. *sigh*

Conclusion: Sorry fellow BPALers, I promised this one to Lissa already. My chemistry amps up florals and cinnamon to the nth degree.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 1.5 (I do love cinnamon).

In the bottle: It smells moldy to me.

On my skin: Moldy pepper.

I think I was expecting too much, because I'd heard so much about this. It's not me at all. Bummer.

Mmmmm...Spices. What's not to love? When I take a deep whiff it feels like the insides of my nose are melting. :D HOWEVER, my skin eats it up. It just fades away...Doesn't last an hour even! :P WHY oh WHY does this happen to me?

This is the resurrected Three Witches.

In the bottle, it's a wonderful cinnamon and cloves, with very little pepper.

On me wet, it's still that wonderful cinnamon and cloves. Once it dries though, problems start. It goes towards the red-hot end of cinnamon, which I don't mind per se, but one of the other notes (the cloves maybe) are making me nausious. I'm going to have to go wash it off shortly, because it's making my stomach angry feeling.

I'm sad though, because I'm a huuuuuuuge MacBeth freak and was hoping this would work on me as well as Lady MacBeth. I may try this again on a strong stomach day, just to test, but I think this one will either be swapped or used to scent a room or something.

This, too, is the resurrected Three Witches...

This truly is wonderful, so spicy, hot, and dry... I smell all three components in the blend which have balanced very well. Very redhots, but not ONLY very redhots.

I wonder how this would smell aged... but I dont think Ill personally keep it around long enough to find out. I have a personal aversion to redhots... but this IS wonderful. now thats not too contradictory, is it?

Edited by ketalady

Resurrected Three Witches:

Wet: Wow...I didn't like this at all. Smelled like a weird pipe tobacco.

Dry: CLOVE with a touch of cinammon and an itty bitty bit of pepper. This is the first BPAL with clove where I can actually smell the clove!

Very nice...I like this alot.

Oh, I love this one! I didn't like it in the bottle, but when I put it on it softens and mellows and deepens. This is what I hoped Gingerbread Poppet would turn into. I definitely get the cinnamon (bark, not candy) and the clove, and I think every once in a while I get a tiny hint of the pepper, but there's a weird hint of vanilla or coconut in there too, sweetening everything up. I know there's not actual coconut in there, it's just what the end product reminds me of.

I like this one better than expected.

This smells EXACTLY like Red Hots to me!

Only on my skin though. In the bottle, I'm not sure what I think it smelled like, but on my skin it's candy red hots. Yum!

This is a first for me :D Three Witches revisited smells like a wet dog on me. :D

I'm off to the corner to sulk and cry! :P

I got this as a decanted imp from O_W's decant circle.

In the bottle: Surprisingly smooth and mellow. It's dark and mean, but not in a bad way--more playful than malicious.

Wet: Wow, strong. There's the initial nose-numbing pepper, with a rush of sweet clove, but the cinnamon rushes in and does a dance all over them with its steel-cleated golf shoes.

Dry: Cinnamon. Wow, Big Red gum. Also, wow, throw.

Later: This scent's got some serious staying power. It's a potpurri sort of cinnamon now, but it hasn't faded a bit in at least four hours, and it's been more than ten since I put it on. It's a very warm scent, and I rather like it, but it may prove too strong for daily wear. I'll experiment with layering, but I don't think I'll need more than my imp.