Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

I received this as an imp from a trade on LJ, I am not sure of the user, because she deleted the posting, but I thank her so much! This is one of my new favorite scents, first being Dana O' Shee....on to the review.

In the bottle
middle eastern spices

Wet
Cinnamon clove hots, the first second you put them in your mouth and give them a chew. Quickly turns towards the cloves and pepper.

1 min later...On my wrist and neck....instantly my man says Chai tea! We both agreed that it
reminds us of our favorite Indian resturant here in Santa Cruz and their yummy Chai tea- a perfect creamy buttery blend of cinnamon/nutmeg and clove. I have had chai many places and this seems to be the only place I tend to like....they tend to not put in any licorice flavoring, which I am not a fan of. I LOVE THIS SCENT!

10 mins later...even creamier! I love it, YUM! I want a big bottle of this!

An 2 hours later, still lasting, but lighter, I would love to burn this in an oil burner....

Purchase again?
I wish I could!- but its a Discontinued Scent- wah! I love this & so does my guy!
I have heard of a re-make with new pepper, I will be waiting and I am sure I will buy a 10 ml right away....

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

I would have called this post 'at last a cinnamon scent i can wear without going blotchy!' but it's been discontinued...... :P

Loved this and will do my best to get a 5ml bottle from somewhere before it becomes more rare than pixie dust!

this is sooooooooo nice. everything else i tried was too sweet, or too powdery, or nice but not outstanding. this... i had a really crappy day and was instantly happier as soon as i put this on.

i didn't get much of the clove and the pepper - i presume they were just rounding out the cinnamon scent. some people got cinnamon red hots, but i didn't get candy out of this at all. this was pure cinnamon bark. i would chew my arm, but i've tried chewing cinnamon bark before and this smells like it would taste just as woody and dry as that does. it smelled like good potpourri - the kind that isn't made by adding fragrance to things, but by using good quality things (pine cones, rose petals, cinnamon bark) that already have a scent.

i don't wear perfume often, and a little goes a long way, so i'm hoping my imp will last until beth can get three witches reformulated.

Three Witches:

Wet: Highly cinnamon.

Drydown: still moderately spicy, but very very cinnamon.

Longterm wear: everyone in my household is in agreement that Three Witches, on me, smells just like Big Red cinnamon gum. I'm strangely baffled by this. I love the smell, though, and I can't wait to see what the reformulation will smell like. :P

Courtesy of the Pumpkin King circular swap!

This is so strongly foody on me, I was bowled over. It's a bit too strong for me. It's almost entirely cinnamon and clove. I can hardly smell the pepper at all. It does very much so remind me of cider. I'm not sure I smell the apple, but it's definitely spiced cider.

It's a nice blend. A shame it was discontinued, but it'll be interesting to see what the reformulation will be like.

Edited by inkstone

This one was love at first sniff for me. I was ready to order a big bottle before I even finished opening the rest of the imps that came along with this one.

In the bottle, it was almost straight cinnamon, but on my skin, the clove started to come out more and result was a straightforward, but deliciously spicy mixture.

Even better, though, was when I added a swipe of Three Witches over the top of Lady Macbeth. Where Lady Macbeth had been grape bubblegum, it became an amazing gluwein with the addition of Three Witches. Three Witches, in turn, gained a depth that it didn't have on me initially.

I can't wait for the reformulation.

In Bottle: Cinnamon and spicy.

On Skin: Cinnamon red hots. The sweet clove is also there, but in the background. It smells like my mothers kitchen after she’s been baking sweets. I’m thinking gingerbread, cookies, yum… but it’s not really a scent I’d wear. It would be perfect as an room spray during the holidays though. After an hour, the clove seems to be dominant and I finally smell the pepper.

In the bottle- mmmmm, cinnamon!

Wet- mostly cinnamon, though I can smell the clove in the background.

Dry down- the clove comes out strongly on me on dry down, with the cinnamon in the background enhancing the cloves sweet spiciness. I don't really get any pepper at all.

Was there any doubt that I would love Three Witches? Well, as the girl who likes to get into the spice cupboard just to smell the cloves, not really. I love it so mutch I want to have it's little spicy babies. I imagine they would look like little cinnamon sticks with clove eyes, little button clove noses and a sprinkling of white pepper freckles. I really hope they are reformulating because I would be really sad if I could never have any more of this.

I wish I had known this one before... :D :P

I love it! :D

Wet it's cinnamon and clove, dry the pepper comes out.

The perfect winter perfume, soft and warm with a dry bottom line.

*runs away crying*

ETA: I finally got a bottle of this one! *drools* *covets* :D

Edited by quimerula

In the bottle: Cinnamon hearts with a hint of clove and nutmeg

First on: Very spicy with an underlying buttery sweet note

After a while: Pure cinnamon and clove

As much as I like this, I have another oil that smells EXACTLY like it (Pumpkin Spice by Creative Scentualization), so I'm sure this will find it's way into the hands of of someone who will cherish it.

in the bottle- cloves with a touch of cinnamon

wet- cloves

after 5 minutes-clove smell fading and cinnamon coming to the front

after 10 minutes- cinnamon and a woody smell. very pleasant

after an hour-gone. nothing but a memory

In the bottle:

I know right away that I am in love with this scent. I also know right away that I am seriously sad it is discontinued. I will weep now. Powerful spice smell, sweet, warm, yummy.

On me:

Everything it says it is, and nothing more. Powerfully warm cinnamon and cloves, sweet yet spicey, it's positively beautiful.

Final note:

One of my favorites, I am going to have to track down more of this. You love cinnamon or clove, GET YOUR HANDS ON SOME.

Has anyone else here used clove oil for toothache?

I have, and unfortunately, it has spoiled my enjoyment of this scent when it first goes on.

Fortunately, it does mellow down into a blend reminiscent of Lush's Kissletoes ballistic, warm and rounded and all comfy-feeling. Very spicy yet not numblingly so, it has a woody warmth in there too from the cinnamon, which stops it from being too cold-cure-like!

A lovely combination of vital yet soothing.

Oh wow.

So *this* is what all the fuss is about. I bought this imp at acution out of curiousity (everyone was talking about it), and oh my! Rich Cinnamon + other spices. (Since I'm reading Dune at the moment, it made me think of Spice.) :P I didn't realize the other notes were primarily clove until I read the description. So rich and strong in spiciness that I'm surprised my skin didn't burn.

Smells stays consistant, just fading a little bit over time. Very very nice! I hope this is one of the discontinued scents that we'll get back some day!!

Very cinnamon and clove to my nose. I don't get the bite of pepper at all.

I'm not in love with this like so many people are. I've hung around in craft stores around christmastime, and this is what Three Witches smells like. It's a nice combination, but I wouldn't want to smell like it. Maybe the reformulation will be more to my liking :P

On me this is purely cinnamon for a good 4 hours and it is strong, when someone at the other end of a minibus can smell you, you're wearing too much perfume :P . After that it seems to disappear, a part from every now and again a whiff of cloves, which took me ages to work out what they were. The pepper didn't make an appearence for me, which I'm not to sorry about. I like this, but I'm not certain I'll keep my 5ml.

In the bottle: I still say there's something else in here that I'm not too sure about, but I like all the scents listed.

First on: Cinnamon! With a hint of clove, and topped by pepper. The wierd scent went away, & I really like it. Like red hots.

Drydown: Surprisingly, this one was hard to find after a bit. I wonder if it's because I work in a restaurant, and most likely come home smelling of food. Anyways, it lightened up to a lighter scent. I put quite a bit on, and had to ask a coworker to sniff me, but he said he really liked it. I'm going to get him addicted to buying BPAL for his fiancee. Heh.

It's really really yummy when layered over Darkness. :P

Source: Bought at Alterative Realities in Rhode Island. It has a "Twilight Alchemical Laboratory" label. Cool, huh?

In the bottle: I can't smell much. There is a little of spice wafting my way.

Skin: Wet. Cinnamon! Bursting with Cinnamon goodness, like expensive fresh grown Cinnamon.

Skin: Dry. As it dries, more of the clove emerges in the blend. I really like the way this smells when dry, a perfect spice.

This is a warming blend that I especially like to wear when sick with any kind of "wet" illness. I like to rub it on my throat and neck when congested. It doesn't last very long, but is great in my scent locket.

In the vial~Spicy with cinnamon. It's the only note I can recognize right now. I usually don't care for spicy blends, but this shows promise.

Wet~mmmmm spicy goodness continues. I'm reminded of Thanksgiving and my grandmother's kitchen.

Dry~The spiciness is more mellow now, but still lovely. It would make a wonderful room scent. Eveyone would check the oven for the pumpkin pie or the spice cake.

:P :D

Three Witches

In the imp: omg…cinnamon!!! This smells beautifully festive and warm, like mulled wine spices.

Wet on skin: cinnamon and cloves! The cinnamon becomes a drier woodier scent, but has the aroma of cinnamon sticks. The cloves are also there and the pepper warms it up. This will be fantastic for Xmas.

Dry on skin: yup, still cinnamon, cloves and pepper. This is a lovely warm spice blend, like a pomander without the orange, like the spices you add to mulled wine. I adore cinnamon, and this smells like a dry cinnamon bark smell, but with a nice sweetness. The cloves add their delicious sweet-spicy touch and the pepper makes the scent really warm.

After a while: the cinnamon sweetens, it's almost like pot pourri but not artificial. This is like those cinnamon sticks my mum has, or like the cinnamon note in Lush's Christmas stuff. This is so yummy.

Verdict: I wish this wasn't discontinued, because this is one of the most gorgeous spice blends ever. This is cinnamon, cloves and pepper at their best. It's sweet, it's warm, it's delicious. It puts happy thoughts of Christmas in my head, and would be fantastic for winter. An instant favourite.

Clove is the first thing I smell then maybe cinnamon, with apples maybe,

gosh it reminds me of autumn....Great scent definitely a keeper. :P

There is absolutely nothing for me not to like about this blend...the name is perfect, the notes are fabulous, the way they combine is lovely and so very true to their natures...

Oh yeah...it's discontinued...that's definitely not to love.

And at the end of the day, I am not entirely sure that I want to smell like a spice cabinet all day long, but it really is a lovely scent - one that I would love in a candle or as a room scent and that I will save up for crisp autumn days and that I will probably layer sparingly with some other things that I think need more kick.

And I am so so happy that I got to try some before the coven fled this world for good!

Edited to add throughts re Ressurected version:

I decided to order a bottle of the resurrected blend in the hopes that I would somehow fall madly in love with it a second time around. Alas, I still smell like a Yankee Candle when I wear this. Sob. I so want to love it. I really really do, but it just does not love me back.

Edited by emzebel

Bottle: Mmm, cinnamon and spice and yum.

Just On: Oh yeah, I can smell the cinnamon and the pepper, the rest are very well blended.

An hour or two later: Oh this is yummy spicy. Clove, cinnamon, maybe pepper, and a touch of cumin?

Around 6 hours: Oh, this is fading down into a creamy spicy scent that is just adorable. I'm loving it.

12 hours: Yummy, the last vestiges of spicy cream.

Overall: Okay, it's official, I love this stuff.

After reading other reviews: OMG, this could be reformulated? I'd buy some almost instantly, if it were even close to this. I love it.

3witches.jpg

Cinnamon, cinnamon, and cinnamon. This is a cinnamon lover's delight. But for you cinnamon snobs, this is the good kind, not the cheap sort that comes mixed with sugar in those little plastic bears. It's the quality of the cinnamon which makes it escape from being called "Autumn Craft Shop", it's just got too much bite for that (perhaps because of the cloves and pepper mixed in--which I cannot pick out, but I detect something more than one simple ingredient).

3 Witches is a lovely fragrance and a spell caster. I wish it was still a catalog scent, but I will treasure my imp from the Lab. It immediately puts me in the mood for cool weather and a snuggle by the fire. Real comforting, even if it is named after... 3 Witches.

YOW!!!!!!!!!! Big Red cinnamon gum on me, no doubt about it. Somehow I am surprised by the clear color of the perfume since it is such a RED scent. This is delicious and I really do hope the Lab eventually works out the forumla and finds replacement for whatever note forced its discontinuation.

It burns really badly behind my ears but no welts, so that's good ... I wore this layered with Bliss on my wrists and crooks of my arms and it had major legs ... all day and all evening I got hits of yummy chocolate-cinnmony ME!!!

ON a scale of 1-5 I have to give it a high 4 if for no other reason that it's a great layering scent and makes me feel creative.

REVISITING AND RE-REVIEWING APRIL 2013:

Working my way through my collection of BPAL, from A-Z. Happily was able to acquire via DISO a 5 ML bottle of this from a WONDERFUL forumite who saw my plea, and this testing is from my own decant from said bottle.

IN THE IMP: Dentyne crossed with Red Hots. And since I am a cinnamon fanatic, that is good crossed with great. While I had called it "red" in my first time through, honestly, this is more a white-hot cinnamon.

Dabbed on wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: Just a good, strong, pure white cinnamon. I think it's the pepper and clove that make me visualize "white" instead of "red" and also, possibly, keep it from creating any burn on me this time. I would not call it a single-note cinnamon, though. The pepper and clove are not, to my nose, identifiable as such but they add a complexity to the cinnamon scent.

DRYDOWN: It's actually a very calming scent. For some reason, I want to liken it to diaper ointment but I know that may sound non-complimentary and I don't mean it as such ... rather, it's spicy AND soothing at the same time.

OVERALL: I am so thrilled to have this. On its own it is divine. And knowing how well it will layer with other scents just makes me drool.

On a scale of 1-5 I give it a 4.9

Edited by JazzieCazzie