Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

I was lucky enough to acquire a bottle of the Resurrected incarnation.

In the vial and wet, this is all CINNAMON. Spicy spicy spice with no sign of the clove or pepper - it's like I upended a pot of cinnamon onto my wrist. As nice as cinnamon is, it's very strong.

On the drydown, the overwhelming cinnamon thankfully fades a little. I can detect a whiff of the clove, and the smooth pepper is coming out to play.

Dry, this is a stunning scent. The cinnamon and clove are still there, over the smooth sweetness of white pepper. So glad I managed to get a bottle! Edited by Jenesis

Revisited:

Oddly creamy in the imp & wet, like a whole-milk cinnamon steamer, with a dribble of vanilla... Given the heaviness of the elements, I'd expected a spice whallop, but Three Witches is surprisingly tame, eminently wearable... Like Dana O'Shee, but with cinnamon. The clove & pepper are barely perceptible, just grounding things a bit & cutting the sweetness. I really think there must be a bit of musk in here, amber musk, perhaps. Very tasty, akin to Bengal once it dries, but missing the heavy honey note. :D

ETA: Oh jeebus. :P A few hours later, Three Witches has dried to a dead-ringer for bookstore chai - not the real thing, but the powdered-mix-based stuff, thick & sweet & intellectually wrong but oh so tasty... And then, around hour 3, I get the tiniest whiff of woodsmoke, like you bought a chai at Borders & then drove out to the state park & lit a little campfire. Criminey. I fear I may need more of this come autumn...

Edited by tartchef

In Vial: warm cinnamon baked goods

Wet: Just lovely! I think this is the best cinnamon scent I have ever smelled. It is sweet cinnamon and cooked fruit (apples or pears).

Dry: Still wonderful cinnamon and baked goods. I think I am smelling a hint of vanilla in the background. This is awesome.

I got a decant of this from a very wonderful forumite. THANK YOU!!

Holy cat, this smells good. I'm not sure I like the appley smell on my skin, but the cinnamon and cloves are to DIE for. And for once the cinnamon didn't make me itch!

This might be heresy, but I think I prefer Samhain a bit, though this is a very close second for "warm foody".

I am incredibly thankful that a forumite swapped this to me. It LOVES me.

Mmmmmm......in the bottle and especially when first applied, Three Witches is like warm spice cookies. It's got a vanilla-dough quality in with all the spices for sure.

After drydown, the cinnamon and pepper pop out alot. The clove is there, but it's very light.

This has similar qualities to Samhain (but Three Witches is spicier and without the smokiness) and Mort de Cesar (but Mort has alot more noticible clove and is much darker). Those are 2 of my favorites so this is definitely up there as well.

I love the Three Witches from Macbeth and am so glad this blend is wonderful on me. I am surprised at how non-sinister this particular fragrance is, but it's so lovely that I don't mind at all.

Edited by scarletgenesis

In bottle: Lots and lots of cinnamon with a bit of pepper and hint of clove. Wet: Sooooo much cinnamon. The pepper gives it an almost decaying effect. Dry: This practically disappears on me leaving a hint of spices.

In the imp, cinnamon and cloves...but mellow spice, like they've been cooked, rather than raw.

Wet, very similar to wet, but the pepper is creeping out to make it all seem warmer somehow. I smell like I've been baking!

Dry, no real surprises. It hasn't really changed much. It is lovely, but too foody for me to want to wear it regularly. Off to swaps, I think.

In the imp: This (resurrected) smells remarkably like Plunder to my nose, with a bit more pepper.

Wet: Three Witches remains like Plunder on my skin, which was cinnamon to the excess of any other scent. And, like Plunder, it's a dry, cinnamon-broom sort of cinnamon. On the dry down, the sharpness of the cinnamon mellows out, but the clove never really surfaces on my skin.

I was very happy for the opportunity to try this legendary scent, which I've heard about since first coming to this board, and it's a mixed blessing that it didn't actually turn out to be my Holy Grail scent.

Imp: Peppery and cinnamon, straight up!

First Applied: Cinnamon with something dark underneath

30 Minutes Later: CLOVES! Massively cloves. I ended up stinking up the entire classroom. :P

1 Hour Later: Still very much cloves and still very strong, but not as overpowering as when it was just barely dry.

8 Hours Later: Cloves and cinnamon and pepper all together and yes... that is 8 hours later. :D Even after a shower, I still smelled it.

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It isn't really me, though, so I will probably not wear it very often. I can imagine coupling it with a tame, flowery scent to take the edge off. Very long wear, high throw, very true to its components. This feels like such a perfect cool weather scent, since it really warms you! I can just imagine sitting curled up in a blanket in front of a fireplace with a cup of Spiced Chai tea and a small amount of this anointing my skin.

This was delicious cinnamon clovey goodness with a kick of white pepper to it. The predominant note seemed to be cinnamon on me, with the clove serving as the base here. The white pepper was wafting throughout, so that one could only catch hints of it here and there. Overall it was everything I wanted in a spicy comforting blend. Unfortunately, I seem to be allergic as I broke out in ugly red welts wherever I had dabbed it. :P

I happened to be able to buy an original ( not ressurected ) bottle

of Three Witches.

I love the smell of cinnamon and this beautiful blend does it so much justice.

I just dabbed one tiny drop on my wrist and

it smelled sooo good - like a gingerbread right from the oven.

The smell of fresh-baked goods and a wee little bit of root-beer.

Its spicey and foody and lovely -

and all together its pretty plain in the same time.

You can detect all the single notes ( not many, are there ? ) but they melt together

perfectly.

I love this one, and I will never ever part with it.

It also came in the lovely cobalt bottle,

so its a perfect addition to my collection... :joy:

I got a package from a forumie, and as I was digging out the goodies I discovered that she'd enclosed six rare or LE decants! My mouth must have dropped open in shock, and after I'd divested them all of the bubblewrap I lined them up and caressed them lovingly. My eye was immediately drawn to the decant of Three Witches, which I had been wanting to try since I first heard it described as the clove Holy Grail scent. It was surprisingly light in color, given that the ingredients make it sound like it ought to be a swirl of golden brown oil, not very pale yellow. I struggled to get the lid off the vial without beheading it, but in the end it popped off and I got my first whiff of Three Witches.

Clove and cinnamon HEAVEN! It is very strong and spicy in the vial, the cloves unmistakable and very front-and-center, while the cinnamon gives this a spicy, playful kick. I am instantly reminded of smoking clove cigarettes outside of a club, perhaps in the first shivering chill of autumn. I put some on my skin, and the cinnamon amped up just a bit, and it was pure love. I am in utter and perpetual lust with cinnamon, and every other cinnamon blend I've tried has left me going "but where is the cinnamon?" Not so with this blend. As it dried, the cloves became a bit more prominent again, and it settled down to become more of an 'old clove cigarettes' fragrance, you no longer have the lit clove in your hand but the fragrance clings to your clothes.

I have to disagree with those who call this foody, for me it doesn't smell like baked goods at all. For a moment when the cloves were their strongest, I was afraid of smelling like a baked ham, but it never came to pass. Instead, I get the perfect balance of cinnamon and clove. Easily makes the Top Five for me, I think.

:squee: I FINALLY get to review Three Witches!!! I have been waiting so long to get my greedy little paws on some of this stuff, and it has been well worth the wait, because..."YUM!" In the imp, this definitely gives off a foody spicy apple pie vibe, and I am totally in love already.

On the skin, this picks up even more spice than before. It gets hotter and a bit less foody...it's like Pickled Imp with extra cinnamon! :thud:

This is the spicy delicious scent that I have been searching my whole life for...Oh, please, resurrect it one more time?

:wub2:

This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite BPAL scents. On me, it smells exactly like Red Hots candy. Warm and spicy, but a little sweet too. It just makes me happy inside. And maybe a little frisky. :twisted:

Mmm... heavenly spices... cinnamon and clove (I don't get white pepper, but I also probably wouldn't know white pepper if it smacked me in the head). Warm, slightly dangerous. A fall scent, but It's May, and I'm loving it.

Possibly the most spot on description ever. I get at first pure cinnamon/clove which is gorgeous. Later on it turns to Red Hots, but that's ok as they're quite nice too. I absolutely LOVE this scent and shall be hoarding my bottle, which is the original version. Yummeh. :yum:

Imp from the amazing OneTheyCallLuna! :wave: This is the resurrected version.

Imp: Yum yum yum. A sweet, warm and husky cinnamon, like a whole cinnamon stick, bright clove, and a smooth woodiness from the white pepper. There's definitely something sweet in there, too, but not too sweet-- just enough so the spices don't singe my nose hair. Mmm.... I love it!

Wet: Cinnamon, but with a slightly dusty, tickly hint to it that suggests cinnamon powder rather than bark. The clove smell is right beneath it, a wonderful spicy brown, and the pepper adds just enough bite. The sweetness is still there-- this reminds me a lot of a softer, more "bakery" Clemence... spice jars are one of my favorite scents in the world and this smells just like my spice cabinet! I can't get enough of it.

Dry: Once the white pepper settles into my skin, this smells very much like Clemence... with a little bit of added bakery sweetness. I absolutely :heart: it, but I could probably get a similar effect by layering any strong vanilla and Clemence.... that being said, I still snap up a bottle if it became available again, and you can seriously pry my imp from my cold dead hands.

I jumped on the chance to grab a bottle of this (2005 version) even though it will be totally hit or miss on me. I am expecting all kinds of autumn and Christmas out of it.

In the bottle it is cinnamon and clove and something else I can't identify.

On my skin it is quite different. Clove fades into the background (yaaaaay!) and white pepper comes to the front with the cinnamon.

While this is definitely the fall spicy scent I had anticipated, there is also a kind of woody undertone to the whole thing that brings it out of potpourri and into something wearable. I think I need to wear it for a full day before I can give the final verdict, but I see it being something I like and save for the holiday season.

I was leery of this at first because it was all cinnamon red-hots on me.. and there are enough other blends that do that to make it not that special...

But on drydown when the clove comes out it... is... heavenly!

This is a gorgeous clove/cinnamon blend... its making me crave clove cigarettes, and brings me back to my fabulous gothy days.

I love it!!

I'm not sure if my decant is the original or the resurrected version, but I get cinnamon oil and vetiver... like Big Red chewing gum or Red Hots candies with a side of smoky bacon. I was hoping for clove, but no.

I'm not usually moved to write reviews ... but this time I am.

I've been after some of this for a long time, like 4 years. Ever since I was enabled. This was in fact one of the scents used to enable me. And then my evil enabler co-worker informed me that I couldn't get any. And I was sad. So, now that I have a bottle of my very own, I was very excited when it arrived in the mail, fresh from a trade. I sniffed it.

Cinnamon. Fakey, candy cinnamon. But that's just in the bottle and that doesn't mean it'll smell like that on my skin. It didn't on said evil enabler's skin. It was so good I didn't know a person could just walk around smelling like that. It has to be that way on my skin. It just has to. So I dabbed some on the back of my hand.

Cinnamon Red Hots, as many people above have put it. Not spice of love. More Big Red cinnamon candy bleh! I really wanted to cry. I was so disappointed, so I took a walk, to clear my head & get away from my Red Hots hand.

After about 10 minutes of walking I kept catching the faint scent of creamy, spicey chai. Like when it's on the stove, not when you're drinking it. I was wondering what was smelling so good when it dawned on me to sniff my hand again. It was me!!! I was emanating that amazing, a-person-has-no-business-walking-around-smelling-this-distractingly-good smell! Pure joy!!!

Amazing. I will endeavor to find more, but enjoy every drop of this bottle.

Edited by bella_delirante

10/10!!

Three Witches is sweet cinnamon and fiery clove on me. I was worried about the pepper, but there's no smell of hint--just a warmth, like a sirocco.

I am so glad to have got some of this at last!

Pale yellow oil. Sweet, warm, and spicy. It's almost foody, the way that it's sweet. Cinnamon strongest, then clove, a very sweet sort, and a kick of light white pepper in a more distant third place, strength-wise.

Cinnamon red hots! Not that overpowering (yet), but definitely exactly what this 90% smells like, candy note and all. But I do get a bit of now-sharp, sweet intense clove behind - it can't really compete with the cinnamon red hots, but it's still a strong note in its own right. The white pepper is more of a fresh slightly dusty brightness than a distinct note. This is overall much more pleasant than expected. However, it is making my skin burn and itch. :\

Dustier, I think the white pepper is actually amping, something it has never done before, so maybe this is a different note from the one in Tulzcha and the other blends I've tested? Also, I think there may be a smidgen of black pepper in this. The clove is a little stronger, definitely the sharp, bullying and unpleasant type that my skin amps crazily, but it's still overwhelmed substantially by the cinnamon red hots. The skin sensation has settle into a constant moderate itchy-burn.

This has finally completely dried, into 80% cinnamon red hots, 15% sharp, strong clove, and 5% pepper (likely a combo of both white and black). The clove is barely distinct without effort, and the last two note certainly aren't distinct with ANY amount of effort. Good to great throw, but I am off to the sink due to the burning - and since it doesn't wash off easily, I'd guess this would last a long time.

As expected, not remotely appealing.

I'm unsure whether I have the original or the Resurrected version, as my bottle was a a wonderful gift.

Bottle: cinnamon and clove.

Wet: sweet cinnamon-clove; kind of like an herbal tea. Throw is also pretty strong.

Dry: delicious chai latte. It's just sweet, creamy, and amazing.

I absolutely adore all stages of this scent, and am very thankful to have some of my own. It also lasts a good while on(5+ hours).

If you like cinnamon, cloves, or chai, this would likely be a scent for you.

Blue bottle, no label. I forgot I had this, and I think it's the res version but I could be totally wrong.

Bottle: Creamy cinnamon and clove. The cream has a weird undertone that reminds me of some of the Conjure Bag oils do. It's a strange almost animalistic musk scent in addition to the spice.

Wet: The spice amps and I mainly smell cinnamon. The clove is faint and a little bloody. Minimal pepper. The strange musk is still present. It doesn't really work together at this phase.

Dry: Although the wet phase is awkward, the dry phase is a pretty and warm spice scent. There is a creamy/gourmande quality that reminds me either of a musk or possibly a light cream/milk note? The spice is dry and husky, sort of like sniffing spices in a spice store. They're nice, true, dry scents, not candylike or fake on me at all. Also, big bonus, the cinnamon oil is not cassia oil (I know this because Tyler knows this I haven't broken out in a bright red rash).

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I think this is a gorgeous oil once it dries down. It's a little foody without being a strong pastry scent and the spice is just right. The longer it wears, the more the pepper comes out and adds a really unique sharpness to the blend. The wet phase is kind of funky for the first five-ten minutes, but definitely wonderful.