Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
EmpressPixie

Banned in Boston

Obscene, lewd, lascivious, and decidedly objectionable. A filthy, post-coitus scent: sweaty and sweet, laced with laudanum, splashed with booze, and stained by tobacco.

In the bottle, this sort of reminds me of Sara Pezzini. It smells like clean musk, honeyed sweetness, and sweet booze.

On my skin... I love this. I don't usually like tobacco or smoky notes, but this is a sweet tobacco with a hint of sexy smokiness that almost reminds me of the slight smokiness that I get from some black leather notes. I also still get that honeyed impression, and it makes me think of honey flavored dusting powders on clean skin. I was a little worried about the booziness in the bottle, but it doesn't smell alcoholic at all on my skin. It still reminds me of Sara Pezzini, but this is a little naughtier, warmer, and smokier smelling. As it dries down, it starts to remind me more of a sweeter, warmer, sexier Dee.

So, on me, this smells mostly like warm, sweet, smoky tobacco with clean skin, honey powder, and leather. Verrry sexy and I think I'll get another bottle of this one. :wub2:

In the bottle this smells like cherry cough drops, sweet but a little medicinal.

On and dry, the sweet fades to the background and I get leather and booze something smoky/sharp/tobacco-ish coming forward. At this point it starts to smell like a mix of Mahogany Hall and Saloon #10 atmosphere sprays. :eek: A while later it sweetens back up a little and settles down as a kind of smoky-sweet leather.

I'm a fan of the darker/smoky/masculine scents, and I really like this one. I imagine it'll age nicely, too. Yay! :wub2:

Wow, salty leather, sweat and booze. It was a little much when I first put it on, but once the strong salty-sweaty note settled down on my wrist, it became all sweet tobacco, leather, booze and sex. I think I like! Possibly enough for a full bottle, definitely enough to use up my imp wearing this very naughty scent to all kinds of inappropriate places :)

In the decant: Dark and sour and sweet -- frankly, kind of foul.

Fresh on the skin: Sour and sharp and dark and cloying and musty. Very strong and kind of disturbing.

5 minutes: This is kind of turning my stomach.

8 minutes later: And it also made me sneeze. :(

15 minutes later: Just, ew. Sweet in the ickiest way possible.

20 minutes later: It is almost hilarious how much this makes me recoil.

40 minutes later: Fuzzy musk, almost chocolatey. Hrm. Not as bad as before, maybe?

1 hour in: Cheap chocolate. Strange.

2 hours in: Ditto.

3 hours in: Still going. Quite sweet.

Verdict: Icky-sweet. Unfortunately, too much like the description. Made fake, cheap chocolate smell like relief. :(

One phrase: Sour-sweet ick.

This one is not something I expected. I guess I thought it would be sleazier? On me, it's got a faint and plasticky chocolate overtone, skin musk and just... well, smells like plastic. Pass.

On me, it's laudanum and bitter ashy tobacco alas :(

None of the sultry and sweet, and certainly none of the cherry I was hoping for given reviews :(

Oh well, cant win them all.

In bottle/imp: Sweat and booze.

Immediately on skin: Sweet, thick, and cloying. Lots of booze, with a very sugary feel. This smells dirty, which I guess is the point. It smells of a thick crust of sugar with rich alcohol poured over it, left to sit in a warm room all day.

After a little while: Pencil shavings soaked in sugar and alcohol. This smells very wrong on me…

Overall Impressions: I understand how some people would love this, but it’s very bad on me. The scent is thick, cloying, and overpowering on my skin, with a definite sweaty and boozy, dirty feel. Not for me.

This is definitely a keeper for me! I get a musky, honey sweet, tobacco, which doesn't change much from wet to dry. This screams sex and really does smell 'dirty', but in a good way. It's kind of a daredevil, carefree blend, and makes me want to go out and do naughty things. :twisted:

When I smelled this in the bottle, I was thrilled! It smelled like fresh dirt :wub2: I LOVE dirt smells! It reminded me a lot of a greenhouse or nursery or something. Sadly, when I put it on my skin, it started to smell like something from a chemistry lab. Something you aren't supposed to breathe in. :eek: As it dries down, it alternates between that and expensive-smelling tobacco. I just got this in the mail today, so maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance. I really hope it settles down to something I like more. Also, it's sooo unlike any other BPAL I've smelled, and maybe I just have to get used to this type of smell.

Will definitely hold on to this one. It intrigues me :P

ETA: This is hands down the strongest BPAL oil I've ever tried. I used a tiny drop on ONE of my wrists and, well, it's all up in my grill. Never experienced that before! I will probably add more thoughts as they come to me, as this is just such a WEIRD one and I'm trying to understand it.

ETA 15 minutes later: WOW. This is the most moving oil I've tried yet. It's amazing. It rocked my world and turned it upside down. Who knew I would ever love something like this? :joy:

Edited by ModderRhu

Oh...oh dear, this is nice.

At first I get a strange combination of booze and what seems to be chocolate and leather? It's rather subtle and totally delicious. The longer it sits, the more evil it smells. After about half an hour I get mostly tobacco backed with some boozy sweetness.

This is smoky and sweet and YUM. Totally what I was hoping for. It really does smell like sin, in the best way. Mmm.

In the bottle I can smell a sharp but not too sweet scent. It actually reminds me of the smell of cherry liquorice (which doesn't smell much like cherry), I think that may be the booze. I'm also getting a whiff of the tobacco which is cutting through any sweetness. But when I put it on I smell like a sweaty so-and-so! That slightly sharp spicyness of sweat is all I can smell. Sorry, but I spend enough money on trying to NOT smell of sweat - swap pile! (This begs the question of why I tried a sweat-scented perfume in the first place. I was curious :))

Oh my! Sweet and sticky booze and salty sweat. Man, this smells like cheap, dirty, dirty sex :twisted: Sooooo a keeper haha

You know how, sometimes, you go out, and your friend lends you a leather corset and persuades you to snort a couple of lines of some white powder, and then you go dancing until you're soaked in sweat, and your see your ex-boyfriend, who offers you a couple of cigarettes, and you smoke them, even though you're normally an incredibly uptight self-righteous ex-smoker, and you have several shots of something you don't usually drink, like whiskey, or goldschlager, and then you run into the cute bi girl who's always flirting with you and she's wearing a sweaty rubber dress and you make out with her for a while, and you get home and you crawl into bed and recount the evening to your sleepy husband who sits up, wide awake with horror and says, "You SMOKED A CIGARETTE?"

Banned in Boston smells like that. Definitely getting the booze, cigarettes and rubber dress. I like it.

it is just plain alarming how quickly i've been plowing through my single, solitary bottle of banned in boston, especially considering that i haven't even reviewed it yet! it's a beautiful, dark, sticky scent with dark, sweet fruits and resins and old leather. i know leather isn't listed as a note, but i swear there's leather in there somewhere. it's wonderful!

it reminds me a bit of VILF, now that i think about it.

I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but it was not this. I get a touch of sour vetiver (the sour vegetal kind rather than the smoky kind) sweet booze...and...stank. It's kind of OK! One of those scents where you really can't tell if you like it or not, and keep sniffing it. It does go somewhat plastic on me. Happy to have tried it, equally happy I don't need to track down more.

When this first touched my skin there was like a second and half where my brain went "uhhh" as though there was something overly animalic and icky happening, but then it went directly to "Oh. Oh my! Nsfw!" As others have mentioned, I'm definitely getting an impression of leather, but it's a worn-in leather. imo this is less sweet and more smutty than Smut. 

The more it dries, and please forgive me here, the more the impression changes to armpit, but in a post-coital way, like the description says. Sometimes in that moment, that person's armpit is the best thing you've ever smelled. Other times, that same armpit is like, whew you need a rinse and some fresh BPAL, lol. 😅 I don't really get any booze from this at any point. Seems like a scent one would need to be in a certain mood to wear.