Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ami226

Sara Pezzini

SARA PEZZINI
A hint of leather and an understated vintage musk layered over the scent of lightly perspiring, honey-dusted skin.

Okay, I had to get a bottle of my own for this one. I just love Witchblade (used to watch the t.v. show), so I am determined to love this scent! Also, the bottle label is awesome!!

On the skin: Skin musk and leather with a sweetness that must be honey. These scents together smell slightly strange at first, but they quickly blend into something amazing! A light sweet scent with not too much throw, but that is definitely okay because I think I will just smell myself all day! Mmmmm!

Huge - no, MASSIVE - disappoinment *cry*. This has soft (white, not cloying, the type for those who hate honey normally) honey & subtly sexy musk, and is overall lovely and subtle, except the leather is the kind that I HATE - the sharp, powdery, chemically kind as in De Sade, CC Female, Severin, Spanked etc - i.e. the one most common in BPAL blends with leather. I just can't do that leather AT ALL but I adore the 'worn' leather note (as in Dead Man's Hand and Olisbos, etc) and basically I was praying it would have that...but it didn't. This one really devastated me bc it would be SO PERFECT if it had the right leather note or simply no leather.

:cry2:

I shall update this review as I properly test all the new releases over the next 7-10 days, just an FYI.

As soon as I read the description of this scent, I knew it was one I really wanted to try, but surprisingly, I took a while to warm up to this one. In the bottle, I smell something just a bit strange--a little bit sour.

On the skin, this was initially quite powdery--I suspect the leather note--with the same sort of slight sourness to it. Eventually, it grows sweet--the honey really shifts to the foreground--and the musk slowly comes out to ground things a bit, and keep things from being too toothache-inducingly sweet. On my skin, it really took a good 45 minutes+ to settle down to this phase, where it is subtler, and better balanced.

This one has a hell of a lot of throw, too! At the end of the day, I still get an occasional whiff.

Mr O is an aficionado of De Sade and to me the leather note in Sara Pezzini is very different. It's like a clean blond leather as opposed to wicked black leather? De Sade is too harsh for me, but I find Sara to be much easier to take. Definitely the most feminine leather I've ever smelled.

The musk seems to be the same skin musk as Les Bijoux, which I love and am happy to be able to smell more prominently in this blend. The honey is a very light honey and the overall scent reminds me a lot somehow of Gennivre without the mint. I keep wondering if there's sugar cane in it somewhere. It's not a powerful scent but I keep catching wafts of it that seem stronger than the scent of it with my nose close to the skin -- can't wait to try this one in my new scent locket!

Bottom line, it's light and slightly sweet, slightly salty, sexy in an understated clean, feminine-but-not-vampy-or-girly way, and I really love it -- I was doubtful the first time I wore it but I found myself wanting to wear nothing else all weekend.

Edited by odalisque

This is awesome. It smells of sweetened skin musk with a hint of leather. For me this is the best kind of leather; smooth and clean and playing nice with the other notes instead of screaming loud. It also has great throw without being super strong and overpowering at the same time. After a minute of putting it on my skin, the scent just blossoms, but my skin chemistry also really likes skin musk. This is one of the few perfumes where I’d say it’s instant love for me.

Skin Musk, with the barest hints of leather. (wet) Dry: Freakin lemon honey. :eek: Why does my skin do this? There is no lemon in this listed...but for the life of me...I get lemony honey. It's like velvet nudie and beth's honey note had a love child on my skin. :eek:

Combined with witchblade: The honey, lemon, and skin musk takeover the goregousness of the red musk and metal in witchblade. Not a fan.

Sara Pezzini - In the bottle, this smells like musk and honey. When I first apply it, that's exactly what I smell -- skin musk and honey. As it dries down on my skin, I start to smell the leather note, which isn't strong, yet it does become the dominant note. I also feel like there's a faint trace of white sandalwood in here, because there's something very dry and almost dusty in this scent that reminds me of white sandalwood, but I could be wrong. I don't really like this on me because it's a bit too dry, but I can definitely understand why it would work really well on other people...of both sexes. I think it's a very gender-neutral scent. It's a soft scent, but it's not subtle, and it does last on my skin for quite some time -- definitely has longer wear time than the average BPAL on my skin.

Witchblade: Sara Pezzini

I love this comic and was tremendously excited to see BPAL making these scents!

In the bottle:

leather & muskiness/sweat...

I have to say that the idea of wearing something that smells like sweat isn't too appealing.

On my skin, Wet:

Sweat & Leather.

I haven't had any luck with the Lab's leather note to date - they always go soapy on me.

This one seems to be grounded by the sweat and is smelling like oiled leather to my nose.

On my skin, Dry:

Leather, honey & skin <-- (that looks really morbid & strange, but it's not bad at all!)

hooray! a BPAL leather that does *not* turn to soap for me!

::happy dance!::

honey tends to amp on me so it's not really a surprise that this note appears in the dry phase.

the sweat note dissipated to a 'skin' note; unusual to say the least, but it's actually kindof comforting.

it smells like sun warmed skin - if that makes sense.

Verdict:

This scent was a gamble, but it just shows that gambles can pay off once in a while!

I don't think I'll be wearing this scent by itself, the leather note and sweat at the beginning is a little bit sharp - but I do love it layered with the Witchblade scent.

on it's own, I'll rate this one 6 of 10

with the Witchblade scent it gets an 8 of 10 ranking

thank you BPAL for making a line of scents to go with this comic!

::love::

ETA (5.24.2010): This just keeps growing on me and I think I'm bumping this rating from a 6 to a 10 out of 10.

In addition, I have been wearing this alone and I get nothing but compliments.

Plus, since this is the only leather note that has worked on my skin I'm really enjoying what I've been missing from other blends with leather like Loviatar, DeSade, Depraved, Whip, etc.

ETA (5.25.2010): Depraved has patchouli, not leather - oops! :lol:

Definitely buying more bottles of Sara Pezzini! :wub2:

Edited by Akurarei

I think I remember this being a huge disappointment at C2E2, but I want to be sure. In the bottle, I'm getting really chemically leather and a bit of honey musk underneath that, but the leather is really offputting. On my skin, it's mostly that chemically leather and musk, not really working well. This is probably one of my biggest disappointments, as I wanted the sweeter kind of leather from Liz and CC: Female, and combine that with the rest, and it could've been out of the park amazing.

Edited by Venneh

Okay, this is a huge disappointment to me. :( I love leather and musk, and I was hoping this would be bottle-worthy, but it really didn't work on me.

Wet, this smells like cheap drugstore perfume or body mist. The musk smells like soapy skin, the leather smells cheap and chemical, and the honey is not helping anything. It's got an artificial, plastic edge to it that I really can't stand, and I blame the musk, which is just really overwhelming on me.

As it dries, the leather comes out more, and it smells like the inside of a cheap leather handbag. I think it is the musk making it smell so fake. Completely dry, it smells like mildewed leather. I am not sure why my skin hates this leather/musk combo so much, but this definitely is not working. :( Sorry, Sara. I wanted to love you!

ETA: Dry down is powder. I slathered this too, so the powder throw is strong.

Edited by tailoredshirt

wow, unfortunately, this scent doesn't smell like the description on me AT ALL. i love musk and leather, and honey is hit or miss, but the only thing i can smell that's in the description is the leather. it's like someone dropped a leather jacket on a rainy night in the woods, and the sun is just coming up and the scent of leather, herbs and leaves is coming forth. in theory it sounds good, but i don't like how it smells on me. but what's weird is it's nothing like the description!! i almost think that maybe i got something mislabeled? (decant from a swap.) because there is no honey-musk warmth to this at all. it's herbal and leafy and leathery...i am thoroughly confused! even in the decant, it smells similar, so i am not totally sure that only my skin chemistry is to blame...hmm.

I don't get any honey at all out of this. it is first and foremost leather - Wilson's leather shop overwhelming leather - which softens a tad on wearing/drydown to include some skin musk and a thin veil of something florally-sweet... but only a tiny bit. It's like a leather jacket with the ghost of a girl's perfume from last week on it. It's 90% heavy leather on me and smells like my husband's lather aftershave.

Big disappointment. :(

The honey in this seems to be sort of cyclical, it comes and goes on my skin. The leather is always Leather! And that is something I adore. The honey adds sweetness, and is a little dusty just like the description says it should be!

I think I quite like this! I don't think it's true love, but it is very enjoyable. I think I need to take all of my many leather scents and swatch them at once so I can write down the differences. I always order leather scents, and I can't really keep track of them anymores!

I adore Sara Pezzini. I would fall instantly in love (or in lust?) if I ran into a lady who smelled like this. It's like the scent of clean, soft, pale skin that's fresh and cool from a shower, verrry lightly dusted with a sweet honey powder. In the drydown, the leather joins the mix and it doesn't smell like leather exactly, but adds this really sexy, slightly darker, almost smoky edge to the scent.

Everything about this is stunning and sexy, but in a quiet, cool sort of way. It reminds me of Liz a bit, as though they could be in the same family of amazing, girly leather scents, but this isn't as sweet as Liz and it's more of a clean scent. Hard to describe, but Sara is *gorgeous.*

I'm in love with this scent and need several bottles asap so that I can bathe in it :wub:

Someone mentioned Wilson's leather, and that's pretty much spot on for how this smells in the bottle. I was hoping for something a little more old saddle room, lol. Initially the leather is very strong on me, but it's not unpleasant; I think it's the musk making it smell less like I got a new jacket. After it dries for a while (20-30m?) the musk and honey come forward and the leather dies back to almost nothing. It's much more enjoyable that way for me, so I'm glad I chanced a bottle.

Lots of leather on me. I think I may amp leather though, so YMMV. This did remind me a lot of Liz, but without the floral overtones I get from Liz. Sweet and leathery, but not for me.

Bottle: Exactly what it says in the description: Honey, musk, leather.

On: Worn leather with a little bit of sweetness. Reminds me of hugging some leather-clad female friends - badass jacket or coat plus perfume. The leather ends up winning out over the other notes, which I don't have a problem with :D

Later: This scent really mingles with my own natural scent to where I end up with ever-so-slightly sweetened leather. It smells just like skin after wearing a leather jacket. I will definitely keep the decant around for personal use (the husband isn't too enamored of it on himself, but that's understandable - the scent screams "badass chick", not "male").

Wow, I like this.

Wet: I get the leather, which is a note that I LOVE, as well as a slightly musky honey dusted skin. Nice.

Dry: The leather is gone, BUT I am left with a very familiar scent. Oh! Has anyone ever tried the Karma Sutra Honey Dust? Its a more adult version of baby powder that has a light honey scent. Well that is exactly what this smells like. Even down to the powdery feeling.

Overall, I find this a really interesting blend. I am okay with my imp for now, but I may pick up a bottle in the future.

Edited by Xanon

:wub2: Light honey, slightly sweaty skin and just a touch of leather. It's soft, sticks close to the skin, and reminds me of Liz in so many awesome ways. This is unbelievably sexy.

Must buy bottle right away.

In the bottle: Skin musk with honey.

On the skin: Salty honey skin musk with leather. It has a sexy biker chick feel to it.

This blend really doesn't change much from wet to dry. I get a musky honey with a bit of smoky vanilla and leather. It's pretty much a toned down Liz minus the raunchy perfume note that ruined Liz for me. My husband commented on it, that I smelled 'nice' and he hardly ever does that unless I'm wearing Smut or Snake Oil. :lol: I like this, I think it's smells 'nice', on me, but not sure if it's bottle material, though I may hunt down a partial or decant. This is where sniffies don't really work. When you want 'more' of something, but not necessarily a lot more.

This might sound a little crazy, but in the imp, it smells like a combination of the scents they use in Soaring Over California at DCA. Take all those smells - the forests, the orange groves, the ocean spray, etc, - jumble it all together and this is the smell you would have.

On the skin though, this is vastly VASTLY different. Honey, I've found recently, is very much hit or miss on me. This one is a definite hit. It's sweet but not overly so and avoids turning to urine or sour or sour urine. The leather must be tempering it well. This kind of smells like quick, dirty sex. And wow, okay. An hour into it, the leather starts amping. Why hello there Leather! How are you? How have you been? It's lots of sweet, sweet leather. Not something I'd wear to my grandma's 80th birthday but it's definitely something I'd throw on for special occasions and date nights. So happy to try this!

Starts sweet. Fades down into some serious leather. Whatever else is in there is a nice support. Wonderful scent!

Definitely leather vs. honey smackdown. On wet, I can smell the honey more, and I agree that this is the white honey, sticks very close to the skin. The leather is definitely the same leather note as in DeSade - black shiny chemical leather. I amp up both honey and leather, and they are both notes of DOOM in my skin - however, this isn't quite so bad mixed together. Still not a leather fan, but this is surprisingly more wearable than alot of the other leather blends I've tried.