Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ami226

Night's Bridge

NIGHT’S BRIDGE
And then they turned a corner, and saw the bridge. It could have been one of the bridges over the Thames, five hundred years ago, thought Richard; a huge stone bridge spanning out over a vast black chasm, into the night. But there was no sky above it, no water below. It rose into darkness.

Stone and darkness.

nightsbridge.jpg

The color of this oil is truly amazing! It is a mixture of a yellow and a blue green and is quite similar to the icon above. This oil separates really easily.

With a description of "stone and darkness", this blend smells quite fresh and slightly sweet! Kinda like a perfumey moss that would cover cobblestones. I am afraid that I can't pick out any specific notes, but it is actually quite nice! Not at all what I was expecting!

I skin tested at C2 and have written down "musty & rocks". I remember it seeming like a cold scent, or whatever I would imagine damp cement to smell like.

After a little waffling, I picked up a bottle of this at Bat's Day.

It's not a terribly strong or attention-grabbing scent, but it was too interesting to pass up. It's cold and much like damp stone at night, but it's definitely the smell of physical darkness. I get a very vague sense of licorice in there, which is horribly fitting (since if jelly beans have taught me anything, it's that licorice is what black tastes like) because this is the kind of darkness you could actually taste. There's that touch of clean to it from being on the aquatic side of things, but it's a very sinister clean.

It's absolutely evocative of the inspiration, and I kind of love this, and I'm very happy I bought the bottle. <3

I'll admit, I was worried here. For some reason I thought this might be similar to Inganok Jewellers, which first worked and then failed on me, but the moment I took a whiff from the decant I knew things would be different :D

In the imp - my god, it's just like the name says. I know I sound lame repeating it, but it does smell like stone, and a pitch black night. Like fresh, cool, endless, indifferent night air. Wow.

On wet - oh my. There's that stone note still, some light ozone maybe . . . a very light aquatic.

Drydown - a lighter, crisper, unproblematic version of Inganok. Nice :D

On me this is a beautiful soft musk. There's more going on here that I'm having trouble putting into words. Despite being a relatively soft scent it is wafting up from my wrists really nicely. Very smell-able but not overpowering. I'm not getting ozone/soap here at all. I wish I was more familiar with the various musks so I could describe this better, but I would guess egyptian or white. It feels like there's a soft floral in the background maybe too. It's very pretty and I'm glad to have a bottle. It's not what I expected at all, I was guessing this would be more cold and aquatic perhaps... but instead this is quite warm and inviting.

2 weeks later...

I'm testing this out again and now it seems to have more of a tart/musk scent as the dominant note, I can't figure out what it is though. I wouldn't call this stone at all... it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what I would call it because I really have no idea. There's some kind of vibe here that's reminding me of Giant Vulva and Velvet Nudie and the only thing those two have in common is skin musk... so maybe that's it?

I had to take a decant out of the bottle so I could see the color separation people have been talking about. It really is very pretty!

Edited by strahlend

Night's Bridge - I did not expect to like this because I'm not usually drawn to stone scents, but I was so very wrong about this one. It's really amazing. Yes, there's the scent of stone, but it's not the cold, wet, draughty-castle type stone scent. It's warm and smooth, slightly musky, slightly floral, slightly aquatic, and incredibly beautiful. I can't stop sniffing my skin. I think it's possible there may be the faintest trace of Egyptian musk in here, but I can't tell for sure. It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry. Granted, I'm PMSing and everything makes me want to cry, but damn, PMSing or not, if a perfume makes me overflow with emotion like this, it must be an amazing scent. Also, it lasts all day long, which is very rare for me since my skin tends to eat up scents and I have to reapply regularly. I have the dregs left of a bottle after running a circle, and it won't be enough. I'll be ordering a full bottle with my next Lab order.

In bottle: Very aftershavey. The mood is quite dark. I do get the sense of stone under shadow, though the stone is nearly overwhelmed. Wet: I love the stone note in this. It comes out with some warming, though the after shave scent of the Darkness stay’s dominant. It is strangely green. It lightens and sweetens with wear. Dry: This goes delicate as the Darkness fades to a softer scent, shadowing the cool stone underbelly. Interesting in an understated way.

In the bottle, I'm getting the Egyptian musk from Gothabilly (I think?), and the stone. Interesting. On my skin, it's mainly musk and stone. I don't have a good feeling about this. (Also, getting the blue-green oil, really neat.) Mostly Egyptian musk on me, fades quick. Not for me.

Edited by Venneh

I agree with raisin.. I smell licorice here (fine by me!)

This is definitely got what I was expecting.. I was thinking a sweet "rock" note a la Black Opal or Inganok Jewlers mixed with maybe wet moss, or black musk, or vetiver or....

This is primarily "green" to me, albeit a dark green. There is a high note that I would describe as a little cologney.. the throw reminds of me of an Armani perfume an ex bf used to wear (I liked it)

It's a little herbal, but in a sweet way-- licorice, light mint. It's becoming very light with wear..

Kinda hard for me to pin down! I like it, but I will definitely need to test it a bit more before deciding on a bottle. I'm intrigued.

In bottle: Ozone and a dusky musk

Wet: This doesn’t have a lot of throw on my sadly, what little I am getting is a sweet ozone.

Dry: It’s more like an aura or mist hanging in the air. Slightly perfumey and quite sweet.

Notes: I expected a cold, heavy scent, not this sweet, perfumey surprise! Still not really my tastes, but quite interesting…

This is really crystaline. Giving you the impression that the air could almost implode in on itself, taking you with it.

There is a thin musk to this. Possibly skin musk as suggested above but it gives it that airy, perfumed skin sort of quality. There is a sort of stone quality to this and it is very cologne-ish in a fresh, clean way. I would love to smell this on a man. :smilenod:

The oil itself is beautiful! This blue that keeps seperating from the yellow that when mixed is an aquatic green.

This smells to me like an aquatic cologne. I can see how the aquatic note could be evocative of night air. It seems like it might be quite nice on the right fellow.

Night's Bridge smells like a fresh, clean, zesty, ozone&citrus man's cologne on me. Like sweet lime zest and a tiny hint of mint, all wrapped up in a clean, cool aquatic/ozone scent. It reminds me of a lot of the men's colognes that are available in department stores right now, that are all clean and vaguely citrus-sweet. I like it, but it doesn't smell terribly exciting to me. I could see this being a good, safe gift for a lot of the men in my life, though.

I'm another one quite taken by the pretty color of this oil. It made me think this was going to be aquatic hell but I get what I can only describe as "musky stone". There's a whiff of ozone and something herbal but it's not dominant by any means.

Not lasting very long, but definitely an unusual blend.

Standing on a bridge at night surrounded by the ocean with the clean scent of my fiancee surrounding me as I hold him tight. This is what this scent evokes when sniffed. May need to track this down.

Joining everyone else in remarking how pretty the oil is in the imp! If I didn't like it, I might have kept the imp just because of how pretty it was.

Fortunately, I did like it. It's a clean, sweet smell on me, but it feels more solid to me than a lot of sweet airy perfumes. It's definitely got the "weightiness" of a stone bridge, and the crystalline feel of late night - it is really a very hard one to describe other than "I like it, but it is very different and more evocative of a scene than of a scent"!

I'll have to try it again, but I may need to track down a bottle. My poor wallet :(

Surprise smash hit win of the series for me! The only 'stone' note I've smelled that I know of was Black Opal (oh, and Inganok Jewelers--blech!), which I really disliked, but a three word, evocative description convinced me to tack it on to my decant circle order at the last minute, and I'm really glad I did.

This is wispy, slithery ozone with a remarkable dark sweetness to it! I want to say it's orange, but I'm pretty sure that's not it; maybe a pomegranate, some kind of luscious melon? I really don't know. Not candy-like at all, but very rich, with a certain close warmth to it. I think saralaughs is right about the skin musk, as once I applied I get some of the rancid hand lotion note that typically turns into on me; but since I have a scent locket, this is probably still bottle-worthy.

This is also very viscerally reminding me of one of the very old Halloweenies, but darned if I can remember which. Maybe one of the cider-y ones.

Edited by good_mourning

This one really surprised me. I was expecting a 'dark' heavy scent, with cold wet stone. What I get is mint on warm rock. It's not a 'scary', forboding scent, it's rather herbal and warm. This is what I'd imagine an ancient stone bridge to smell like in the middle of summer with mint growing by the water. The sun has baked the stone, and scent of mint is wafting up. I do like this, not sure if it's enough for a bottle though. This would be a great 'feel better' blend if you were feeling under the weather. Still thinking about a bottle, or at least a decant...

In the bottle: Cold clean stones. Is that mint I smell?

On the skin: This is very refreshing. It stays the same cold clean stone smell on me. It reminds me of walking on stone bridge on a cold night. It's very nice.

Imp: Stone-y and cool. The stone note always smells melony to me.

Skin: Stoney, cool, and melony, same as the imp. It's not a bad thin and is actually really pretty. My hubby usually prefers the stone scents for himself, but I can't see him wearing this one. And this one doesn't morph at all. Not for me, but I'm glad I got to try it.

In the decant: Sweet, dusty.

Fresh on the skin: Clean. Subtle. A bit astringent.

5 minutes in: I don't think I understand this scent. Interesting waft, different from the scent closeup. Overall, a bit... sweet and sour and slightly damp (but also sort of dry... confusing). Like the outdoors.

10 minutes in: Light aquatic. Perfumey, but light, a little alcohol-y (not boozy, though). Not my style.

20 minutes: Yup, light, perfumey aquatic. Throw a is a bit long. <i>So</i> not me. If I were sitting behind someone doused in this at the theatre, it would make me sad and threaten to give me a headache. If it were really lightly applied, it would be okay. Just not actually good. Sad, because I love the concept and colors.

40 minutes in: Indeed, light, perfumey aquatic. Meh.

1.5 hours in: Pretty stable. Light, perfumey aquatic, yup.

2 hours in: About the same. Maybe faded a bit, which makes it a bit nicer for me.

4 hours in: Gone a bit sharp.

5 hours in: Yup, a bit astringent., still thin and light and perfumey.

7 hours in: Still lightly perfumey and astringent. Fading out.

15 hours in: Just about all gone.

Verdict: Not me at all.

One word: Aquatic.

If I found a man that smelled like this, I would let him do any manner of unspeakable things to me.

No joke.

Needless to say, this blend is a slightly aquatic, musky, VERY masculine blend. And masculine not in the "leather dominant" or "puffed up on testosterone" or even "urban sophisticated" type of guy. This is a guy that you know is a guy, that you know likes getting naked, who isn't an asshole but isn't completely nice either.

The musk is warm, I get the slightest touch of ozone. But in general, I can't get over how gorgeous this is. I am totally slathering mr. zee_zee in this when I get home, and hopefully his skin chemistry will cooperate and he'll smell as delicious as my wrist does. Because this is what all men should smell like, at least in my world.

ETA:

Sadly, this does not smell nearly as awesome with mr. zee_zee's skin chemistry as it does with mine.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In Imp: Strangely incensey and dark. I can't out my finger on what it is, but there's something a little aquatic about it as well.

Wet: That is a nice, unique scent. It's subtle and absolutely lives up to its name. It smells like hard rocks and pitch blackness, like not being able to see. There's definitely some anise in this somewhere far behind everything else. It is a scent with depth, that seems to stretch on and on into infinity.

Dry: The scent of the bottomless pit. My only complaint is how close it sits to the skin. A beautiful, well-blended concept piece that is totally wearable. 4/5

In bottle: It's a wet, almost lemony scent, with something dark and musty underneath it. To me, it's like the evil cousin of original June Gloom.

On me: Lemon, mint, and a hint of something oily and unpleasant.

30 minute dry down: It smells like a generic men's cologne on me. Harsh, strong, and very unimpressive.

In the vial: I thake a sniff and pick up much nothing, excet for a surprising warmth from something that supposedly smells of darkness. Then I realise that there's an orange layer at the bottom of the vial with a blue layer on top of it. Time to shake the vial and give it another go. Woosh! Drakness and damp rocks.

On my wrist: There's a surprising floral scent, and perhaps saffron or myrrh. This doesn't smell of stone at all on me, but rather perfume and incence.