Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Hunter

HUNTER
He turned, and standing there was a tall woman, with long, tawny hair, and skin the color of burnt caramel. She wore dappled leather clothes, mottled in shades of gray and brown. She had a battered leather duffel bag over her shoulder. She was carrying a staff, and she had a knife at her belt and an electric flashlight strapped to her wrist. She was also, without question, the most beautiful woman that Richard had ever seen.

Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage.

Mmmmm! I like this one!

I generally love amber, but leather doesn't always work with me. However, this is a very smooth blend with both of these notes blending seamlessly. I get a hint of cloves, but it is not too dominant on me (as it is in Clockwork Couture Male).

It is a warm, fairly unisex scent, fitting well with my mental image of the beautiful bodyguard Hunter (who is described as having caramel skin, but who would not really be suited by a scent with a caramel note). It reminds me a little of Coyote, I think.

Hunter is golden hides scent to me. The hides note reminds me of Coyote also, which is a very good thing. I didn't smell the clove or sage particularly. In some ways, this is a version of The Lion that I can wear, since the cinnamon in The Lion makes my skin react. The scent makes me think of a lion sunning itself in the bright sunshine of the savanna. I like it.

On the skin: Golden amber and a hint of green that must be the sage. I feel like I have smelled this before.... Not bad, but not for me.

This one is my favorite of the Neverwheres so far. I picked up a bottle, certain none of the notes could go wrong on me, but never expecting they would go this right.

This is a fantastic blend. I'd expected the leather to be much much more prominent (Hunter is called "the leather woman" before we know her name) but it plays very nicely here, and seems different from the other leather notes I've encountered. To me, this one seems closer to the warmth of suede.

The sage totally surprised me. It makes the scent much colder than I would have initially expected, but in a way that is terribly pleasing. The amber isn't as dominating or golden as I thought it would be, but it's there and very nice. The scent isn't quite as "leonine" as I had hoped, but the result is catlike in a way, and probably works better on me than the golden lion scent I thought this would be.

Overall, this is a gorgeous everyday scent that I think will be my go-to for the summer. It's beautiful and natural and I'm glad I got a bottle. It's signature scent worthy.

Edited by raisin

Hunter - In the bottle, all I smell is the amber and clary sage. Together, they made a golden and oddly musky-type scent (to my nose, that is) when wet. But the moment this scent touches my skin, the leather leaps out at me, and I can't smell anything else for quite some time. After 20 minutes or so, I can smell the faintest trace of clary sage (one of my favorite notes in the world, yay!) and once again I can smell that golden musk scent I smell in the bottle. I have no idea what it is since none of the notes in this blend ever turn musky on me. I pick up a trace of warm, dry amber and absolutely no clove. This is a really pretty leather scent, but it's not really for me. I already have a favorite leather scent that I wear all the time, so this one will get passed on.

Testing this while decanting. In the bottle, I'm getting primarily the amber and maybe the tanned hides or the sage? I really can't tell. On my skin, it's amber, sage, and the clove starting to dominate. Don't have a good feeling about this. Goes to chemically leather on me, sadly, gonna pass on this.

Edited by Venneh

This smells equally nice on both my boyfriend and I, so it's definitely unisex. Also worth noting.. there was practically no morphing from the bottle scent on either of us-- it stayed very true.

It's a little sweet and quite dry. Mostly light, clean leather.. spiced slightly by the amber and clove, with a distinct whiff of sage. The image I get is very clean, smooth, and pale.

This one struck me as lovely immediately (often happens with blends I wind up really liking), and I could see myself getting a partial bottle- it's fairly strong for such a light feeling blend.

Edited by MCS4096

In bottle: Mmmmm… All the elements are beautifully balanced here. I want to bath my head in a vat of this. Sage and amber turn out to be brilliant together and leather and clove are so right. It’s all just lovely. Wet: a touch more gritty. The amber strengthens, as does the leather. Sage holds firm, so the clove seems a little too faint. It’s still quite lovely though. Dry: it goes dry and soft, wittled down to amber with a touch of leather.

In the imp: This is softer and lighter than I expected. A soft mix of amber and leather.

Wet: Sometimes leather loves me, and sometimes it goes weird on my skin. This went weird in a major way. It ended up smelling almost aquatic, and it drowned out everything else.

This is really nice. Wet, I get the sage first, with some sweetness from the amber and a bit of spiciness from the clove. It's a tad soapy, but in a clean way, not sharp like detergent. As it dries, a bit of leather comes out. It's such a pretty scent, very herbal and bright, with just the right amount of sweetness. The leather gives it some depth. For notes that seemed like they might be disjointed, these work together really well and complement one one another. I seriously want to keep smelling myself. I smell fresh and warm and slightly spicy-sweet.

Unfortunately, this one doesn't have much throw. I was testing The Marquis on the other arm, and when I went back to check on Hunter, she was gone. I think she just got lost since she's so subtle, and my nose was overwhelmed. But this is a great summer scent, so I'm going to test it again later by itself and see if it stands out more.

Really...plain.

I get the amber as something that adds to the leather, making it a bit wild and not quite tamed. The leather is really understated though. It is not in your face and is quite content to sit in the background, unnoticed. I do not get much clove or clary sage at all.

On me this is all leather all the time. It's a very nice leather, kind of a warm, well-worn saddle type vibe--no horse, just the saddle leather. Hunter is a comforting smell to me, but not something I'd wear. And I'd say it's entirely unisex.

I bought this for my sister to try so I was pretty sure it wouldn't work on me and I was right. On me this is all leather, not the black leather note in Whip but a white leather, exactly like I would imagine a hide that was bleached by the sun to smell. Hopefully this suits my sister better.

This was something that wasn't suppposed to work on me. Any body who knows me knows I can't do honey anything. Yet here again...I am surprised by BPAL. This is a nice, warm, but ashy honey musk. Not musty...just a little ashy...with hints of spice and no leather. I love this. When I want a honey scent....I have one to reach for. Now to track down a partial bottle.... :joy:

Bpal's amber often turns to baby powder on my skin (though I don't have trouble wearing amber from any other company). Hunter turns powdery, but oddly smells sort of like powdery violets on me :/. It's like lots of warm baby powder, a hint of violet, and a perfumey herbal twang from the clary sage. I can't really pick out the clove, though it might be adding to the warm feel of this blend. And I don't smell any leather for the first hour or so that this is on my skin, and then a light whisp of leather (reminds me of the leather in Liz) appears underneath the powder.

Hunter is way too powdery for me...

ETA: Retried my bottle of this recently and this is my updated review: Baby powdery musk and a whiff of new car leather. It doesn't make me think of a Hunter... it's not a wild and untamed sort of scent... smells very chemical and manufactured, actually. Baby powder, perfumey musk, and new car leather. The leather has gotten stronger with age, but it's not a leather note that I really enjoy, and this is still too powdery for my tastes.

Edited by Little Bird

Many years ago, I visited Florence, and one of the strongest memories I have of that city, along with waiting in line at the Uffizi for like four lifetimes, was the overpowering smell of leather goods from the outdoor market. As much as I enjoyed Florence, I do not want to smell like this, and that is exactly what Hunter turns to on me. No amber, clove, or sage, just new leather warmed by the sun.

Hunter will be going off to the swap pile, where I am confident she will find a good home.

Wow--if I were a big leather fan, I would love this. Warm, tanned leather sweetened by amber and I get a nice balance of the clove and sage, too. This is really evocative of the character! That sweet amber keeps this from being too masculine; I'd certainly call it unisex.

It's not "me", but it's beautiful for what it is. Nicely done!

Bottle: Unbelievable. I don't have synesthesia, but if I had to describe this scent in one word, it would be "tawny". Seriously, I smelled this and got an image of an African landscape in my head. I definitely get the scent of hides (not as strong as regular leather) and some amber with a hint of clove.

On: Clove and sage with hides and amber in the background. The scent seems pretty elusive, I'm not sure if it's going to last long.

Later: Hides lightly scented with clove and sage. The scent is very close to the skin, which is nice on occasion. It doesn't bowl me over, so I doubt there's gonna be a bottle, but I'll keep my decant.

Totally surprised by this.

In the bottle: Intense clove and sage. Nothing that is making me want to put this on my skin.

Wet: Okay, this is getting better... but there is a period at about the 5 minute mark where this completely disappears from my skin.

Dry: Oh, she came back! Sneaky Hunter! And she comes back in much better form! This is a golden colored scent. But not bright gold, more like the color of the grasses in Africa, muted but golden none the less. The clove is now much diminished and the sage is lighter, making this blend absolutely stunning on my skin.

Overall, I am really impressed by Hunter. I am very happy that I have a bottle of this. :)

Hmmm. I don't do leather blends...

But this one has that faded leather note like in Quincy Morris, and it's a golden musky leather. Very soft, very touchable, very comforting.

In the bottle: Light leather, amber, and sage.

On the skin: How weird. This turns into a clean leather scent with hints of amber. The leather in this blend is very demur and wearable.

Imp: Kind of bitter. I was expecting a more golden scent, maybe a little green, but not bitter. I'm worried.

Skin: Are they sure there's clove in here? I'm not getting any at all and I usually amp the stuff a bit (which is okay because I love clove). And leather? Where are you? It's mostly sage softened up by amber. It's pretty and I like it a lot, but it's also a little strange as well. I wish I could smell the other components. Oh well. Maybe my skin ate them or they're off having a party somewhere and forgot to invite me. :lol:

Hmmm - this is the leather scent I've been looking for. As close as it comes to a 'feminine' leather. The sage and leather work together for me perfectly, and create something I consider a signature fragrance - I just tried it on today and am wanting a bottle immediately.

It exudes a leathery strength without being overpowering like Red Rider or Traveler.

This is kind of what I wanted Coyote to be, but Coyote turned to a floral mess.

I've been continuously sniffing my wrist all day, and never tire of it - it also reminds me of the fresh outdoors when Im camping, it has the freshness to it, I smell skin-warmed leather, the sage grass, and a touch of the wild.:wub2:

At first, I'm getting amber and though skin musk isn't listed, I'm getting a bit of sharp musk. Maybe it's the sage? Whatever it is, it does fade as the oil dries thankfully, as I'm not a skin musk fan or anything that smells like it. The amber also takes a back seat, and a soft leather comes out. This ends up being a unisex soft leather and a bit of spice. This kind of reminds me of a more feminine version of Crowley, though a guy could probably pull this off. I kind of like this, as long as the leather behaves and doesn't go to mushroom on me (like some softer leathers do to me), I may get a bottle, or at least another decant.

Edited by milo