Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Door

Golden honey, nicotiana, blue chamomile, and cistus.

Out of everything I got in my decant order, I was probably least excited about the notes in Door, and had even considered cutting it out. But it's turning out to maybe be my favorite of the bunch, at least in the initial stages!

It's weirdly similar to Black Lace and Gun Moll in that it has an elegant traditional vibe slightly undermined by a smoky note. But it's more herbal and down to earth than either of those scents, probably due to the chamomile, which is quite prominent. It's a sugared, floral chamomile when paired with the honey, but it still smells very "real" and gentle. Door has a lot of layers, and the overall effect is great.

I could seriously see myself buying a bottle of this one. It would be lovely for everyday wear.

At first this was a little tobacco smokey on me... but after a week of sitting after the mail... YUMMMY. Getting the sweet raw honeycomb tea everyone else is talking about... NEED more of this in my next order.

In the vial – Herbs, biting but with an underlying sweetness.

On the skin – Chamomile, with a whiff of honey & nicotiana. Slightly astringent.

Dry – Chamomile and honey, all mellowed out and warm on my skin. So very lovely! A keeper for sure. :D

Edited by Dralore

Well, after the heartbreak of Lamia (which did NOT smell good on me and I wish it would have), I am incredibly pleased to have found this one. I really wasn't sure what to expect from this because honey often goes wonky on me. It's behaving itself nicely in this. It smells slightly herbal, but not in a harsh way, in a fresh way. It does actually smell a little blue and smooth.

I love Neverwhere, and Door was one of my favorite characters, so I'm very pleased that this one works on me. I'll have to try wearing it for a full day before deciding whether I want a bottle -- it's not the sort of scent I usually wear but it's one that might just grow on me.

In the bottle: Honey and blue chamomile. (This is a very nice chamomile - nothing like the chamomile in Sachs.)

On the skin: A light honey and blue chamomile scent. It's very clean and refreshing.

This really is chamomile and honey for me. On wet, it is almost imperceptible. As it dries, I get more of the chamomile and at this stage it reminds me to Sachs. It's a sweet chamomile. After about an hour, the sweetness is revealed as honey and then it seems to transition into a honey-chamomile blend.

I find it very soft, sweet, skin scent. I think if this were ever made into a lotion, it would be delicious - as it would be very subtle and yet sexy.

Imp: This is gorgeous. I'm not getting any honey but everything else is beautiful. I wasn't expecting this.

Skin: It smells almost identical to Dorian at first application on my skin, which isn't a bad thing because I love Dorian. :wub: It morphs into something of a Dorian and Black Lace lovechild and it's beautiful. Comforting, sweet, warm, and ooo, I bet this would smell dynamite with Floating Market. I keep telling myself I don't need a bottle of this since I already have Dorian and Black Lace but my nose goes :wub2: . I don't know that I believe me. Hee.

Starts soapy, but luckily that fades. I get the honey with a light baby powder note. Nice!

Oh, this is delightful. Door is my new go-to summer scent.

Door is soft honey with an herbal undertones. Everything blends nicely together and stays true and lasts a long time.

So glad that I got a decant, and will be adding a full bottle to my next order.

From the notes, this was the one I was most interested in from the updated. Smells great in the imp, but seems to fade really fast on my skin. :( a very pollen-ey honey scent is left behind.

Wet, herbal honey with a touch of freshness, like a ripe lemon. After a bit, the honey really blooms, and the blend becomes very sweet on me, probably a bit too much. This really is an authentic honey blend, not fake at all. It kind of reminds me a bit of Crib Girls or Giant Vulva, Velvet Nudie. This is a bit too sweet on me, but I'll bet it will be amazing once the sweetness fades on me a bit. For now, this is not a bottle worthy scent.

This was a clean, warm honey with nicotiana and cistus as standout notes. It's not a sticky or overly sweet scent, which was pleasantly surprising. There is an herbal overtone to the whole blend. It's sweet and nice, and somehow comforting and refreshing all at once.

Wow. Huge surprise success for me.

It's the first honey scent I've ever tried that actually smells, on me, like what alfalfa honey smells like in the jar. Beth's honey note usually amps and turns into a strange b.o. smell on my skin, but this one isn't doing that. No tea or lemon here for me, just honey.

I think I just found my honey layering blend. :dance:

ps. Did I mention that I also usually hate chamomile too? So that's two normally death notes in one blend, and it still works. Bloody miracle.

Edited by rawgirl75

This may be my new favorite BPAL. Lord, it's pretty -- I amp honey enough that I thought it would turn into a one-note on me, but the chamomile is really hanging in there, lending the blend a bit of edge underneath all that round golden sweetness. I smell like sweetened herbal tea and optimism. So glad I went for the 5ml.

The blue chamomile and nicotiana are keeping the honey from becoming overly sweet, musty, or funky. This is actually a sweet but clean smelling scent. Still not something I would buy in 5ml form but it is lovely enough to keep the decant. Thank you to my PIF fairy for giving me the chance to try this.

Wow. This is really pretty. I get mostly a soft, floral honey (VERY similar to Deadly Nightshade Honey) blended with chamomile that is much softer and better behaved than the one in Sachs. I agree that it's like wearing a cup of afternoon tea sweetened with honey. Very lovely and feminine, and I'm contemplating a bottle; I think it'd be great to wear in the spring.

I'd love to get the honey that everyone else seems to be getting, but on me there's too much cistus (labdanum) to distinguish any of the other notes, and unlike in Magdalene (the other labdanum scent I've tried), this one doesn't give way to the other components. Alas...

Edited by reconditarmonia

:wub2:

This is my favorite honey note in any BPAL yet. It smells like fresh dripping golden honey. I opened up a jar of honey to compare the smell, and the honey note in Door smells almost exactly like my jar of honey. The honey scent stays true on my skin. Win!

Chamomile and tobacco blossom add a soft haze.

Cistus smells like something between tree sap and ambergris.

This is an instant favorite.

Medium sillage, several hours of wear length before Door needs reapplication.

This would be a great blend for those who like to wear soothing scents to improve sleep.

I thought I had reviewed Door already; I guess not.

Wet, I get mostly chamomile and honey. They combine gorgeously in this blend. I can pick out the tobacco, but it plays very nicely in the background. Nothing else jumps out.

This doesn't really morph on me, and it lasts. I can still pick up traces of it on my skin six hours later. Door is a winner and one of my favorite oils. :wub2:

Door has stolen my heart. She is such a lovely juxtiposition of bright herbacious notes, sweet/creamy honey, and a deep, smokey/dusty, yet tangy resininess. She reminds me of a more mature, esoteric Honey Moon, which was my little one's favorite when he was a baby (sigh of nostalgia...). It is calming, yet not soporific; fresh, yet not grating; grounded, yet gentle and approachable. This is perfect for me to wear to work as a psychotherapist. There are many doors I am called to open.

Hm this is pleasant! Sweet and sticky honey with some nice florals in the background. Not my style, but it IS a very nice scent!

this is mostly chamomile, honey and tobacco on me. the cistus seem to be the background supporting note, while the others are at the forefront. as usual, BPAL's honey turns straw-like on me and the chamomile just adds to that dryness. the tobacco adds a little tiny bit of sweetness. this smells a lot like a chamomile tea bag to me, actually. it's not really my kind of scent, so i will swap it.

in bottle: An unexpected scent. A little sweet, a little sharp, a little floral, a little fruity. Average throw.

wet: Can't discern any of the notes in this, but it's a pleasant scent. Quiet, yet quirky; feminine, yet definitely not frilly. This is the scent of a modern Renaissance Woman. Average throw.

drydown: Turns a bit smoky-ish (the nicotiana?). Otherwise, remains pleasant. Somewhat aquatic. Less than average throw.

verdict: Very wearable, but not one of my must-haves.

Edited by neverything

Well, I haven't wore three out of the four listed notes, so I have no idea what expect and have my doubts I will like it.

In the bottle, Door is a warm honey with dried flowers and herbs. On my wrist, the flowers become sharper as the honey recedes slightly. This reminds me slightly of a tea bag, the chamomile I assume. The honey is not as strong, but it is giving the scent a pleasant dustiness. Quite lovely, and I am surprised that I am enjoying it so much. Glad I gave it a shot.

For the first few minutes this is really lovely on me: a nice blend of honey (which I don't always like) and a bit of soft herbiness, with some pale floral thrown in.

Sadly, the honey then begins to amp, and amp, and amp to high holy hell until it's so sickeningly sweet I have to scrub it off.

I hate when honey does that. :huh?: