Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Door

DOOR
She was dressed in a variety of clothes thrown over each other: odd clothes, dirty velvets, muddy lace, rips and holes through which other layers and styles could be seen. She looked, Richard thought, as if she’s done a midnight raid on the History of Fashion section of the Victoria and Albert Museum, and was still wearing everything she had taken. Her short hair was filthy, but looked like it might have been a dark reddish color under the dirt.

Golden honey, nicotiana, blue chamomile, and cistus.

I was thrilled to try this one, as I'm reading Neverwhere at the moment. I love Door in the book, and I love this scent!

When wet it smells very floral: a green, spring-like floral, maybe a little like clover or sweet grass?

As it dries, the honey really comes out, adding much warmth and depth and beauty, but without being cloying. It becomes more womanly and powerful, in an elegant, almost regal manner. It's amazing: this scent really captures Door to me: when I first meet her in the book, she seems young and almost child-like, but my perception of her is evolving I see her strength and maturity.

I plan to slather myself with this oil as I finish reading Neverwhere today!

Thank you Beth, for this amazing oil! It is going into my regular rotation!!! :wub2:

I tried this at C2E2 yesterday-- I'm surprised, now that I see the notes, at the lack of florals. To my nose, it had a very floral + light honey feel to it. Honey rarely works on my skin, but this came soooo close-- I nearly bought a bottle, but there's was a tiny hint of plastic that kept me from going for it.

I think the most surprising thing about it, given the notes, is how light it is. I think it's worth trying, even if you're not a huge honey fan.

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this. Essentially rich, golden, musky - simple yet complex, a very PURE scent - Honey SN on me - prompting me to get a bottle for myself immediately. I got some faint herbal and floral overtones the way that raw wildflower honey has that complexity which includes the faint flowers and greenery of the meadows which the bees harvested their pollen from. This is simple, elegant and perfect - exactly what I'd hoped for. The notes and description delivered, and this is probably my favourite of all the new releases and scents I tried at the con. It's classic. Btw, I amp honey generally and this amped with fantastic throw and longevity!

:wub2:

I shall update this review as I properly test all the new releases over the next 7-10 days, just an FYI.

Edited by fairnymph

Count me in as another Door lover. This is the most beautiful honey and chamomile scent on me. It's so relaxing and tranquil to smell. Soft & delicate.

This is the perfect combination of what comes out on me as honey and otherworldly air. I don't know any other way to describe it. I think the nicotiana is what is giving it the hazy feel with the chamomile not screaming out it's there but still contributing to the dreamlike quality. As it dries down more and more, the honey becomes more dominant, anchored by the cistus resin which gives it more depth but still retains the hazy and mysterious background. Smelling it makes me feel like I've stepped through a portal to another realm much like Door does in the book.

On the skin: Nice honey, something slightly sharp, and a little bit of powder. Honey is a hit or miss note on me, but this honey seems to be playing quite nicely. There is something here that is kind of effervescent and makes me feel like I need to sneeze. This is a nice honey scent, but there is something here that doesn't agree with me.

A decant I bought for a friend of mine, but I thought I'd have to try it, too, for the sake of curiosity ;)

In the imp, this is very pretty. Rich honey and a light breeze of florals that aren't at all cloying, just naturally beautiful.

On wet - Honey, chamomile and cistus. More rooted and less airy than the original whiff but very natural, almost as though it belongs to the skin.

Drydown - This goes deeper and becomes a truly stunning feminine blend. Floral, but not sweet, it's the scent of wildflowers and honey and secret dark places that one shouldn't go but does anyway :) A wonderful scent. But then I love honey and chamomile on general principle.

Heavenly.

Door is a light honey with a slightly fruity smelling bit of floral mixed in. The post above describes very well my impression of this scent. It feels very naturally beautiful. This scent makes me think of drinking honeyed tea in a comfortable window seat and wearing pretty dresses. This scent does feel very feminine to me although I don't normally think of scents as masculine or feminine. There's just something about it that evokes femininity very clearly. I feel like this is reminding me of one of the recent Shungas but I can't quite place which one. I was a little afraid that a scent with such a light feel would fade quickly but it's quite the opposite. The longer I have it on the better it gets, which is really saying something because it starts out beautifully.

Edited by strahlend

Glorious honey and chamomile from start to finish. My skin amps the hell out of this one, and I love it. I feel like I'm soaking in a tub filled with thick rich floral honey. Very beautiful and comforting. Sweet but not at all too sweet, IMHO, it's just right.

I agree with the previous poster, this just gets better and better the longer you have it on.

Door - Oh, I love this! I thought Crib Girls was the prettiest honey scent I could ever find, but I was wrong. Door is absolutely perfect for me! It makes me soooo happy that my skin chemistry has changed and that there are now some honeys I can wear. This is mostly sweet honey and soothing chamomile on me, with a hint of cistus. It leaves the most delightful, subtle swirl of honey-scented air around me and it lasts for hours on my skin. I'm definitely a fan. :wub2:

My friend ordered this in one of our combined shipping sprees, and she was kind enough to let me take it for a test drive. I can say that I'm glad that I have a decant coming, but also that I didn't get a bottle. This is sweet with an underlying kick to it, undeniably pretty, and would've warranted a bottle if it stayed that way, but unfortunately it went all powdery on me :( The throw is good, for the short while that it lasted, anyway.

Testing this while decanting; getting honey and chamomile in the bottle, so long as the tobacco flower doesn't show, this should be amazing. I remember testing this at C2E2 and it being really good. On my skin, this is stunning; honey and chamomile. Definitely keeping the leftovers of this one and giving it a second full skin test. Second full skin test gives me honey and chamomile, absolutely amazing scent, definitely keeping the bottle.

Edited by Venneh

Very soft, soothing scent. It's regal almost.

It's mostly this sweet honey that isn't surupy in the least, if that makes sense. It's smooth, golden honey that is hasn't been processed yet. Then the supporting role is blue chamomile. Very floral in a soothing way that is sort of weird on me. It's going powdery after a while, yet it is still pretty.

Very soothing honey scent. Just not me.

So, so faint on me! Door starts as a clean, softly wildflower-type babypowder-ish scent on my skin, and it's pretty other than being so faint I have to have my nose adhered to my wrist to smell it. Unfortunately, something in the blend doesn't jive with me and I end up with superfaint, vaguely plastic powder.

This was a nice scent. Definitely a floral honey, in a sharp herbal way rather than heady and syrupy. It had a nice throw and was surprisingly strong. I let my co-worker sniff, and it took her a minute to decide how she felt about it, but she liked it. She did comment that it was sharp and strong, though. I think honey just smells sharper than vanilla and amber, which I am more accustomed to wearing.

I tried it on a few hours ago, and it is still there, but faint. Doesn't morph much as it dries.

Anyway, it's a pretty scent, completely different from anything I've tried before. I will see how quickly I go through my decant before deciding whether or not to order a bottle.

This was the Neverwhere scent that I really, really wanted to try, and it was included in an AWESOME collection of sniffies that fairnymph sent me! I love this. It actually reminds me of the "Brazened Honey" scrub from Lush, except a bit subtler. Definitely a "golden" scent, perfect for spring and summer, but I think it would also just be good for days when you need a positive, happy perfume. The honey isn't nearly as cloying as it tends to be in other scents - it's slightly powdery in the dry down.

Wet, it smells like a sweet floral chamomile, like if you were enjoying chamomile tea out in a garden. It dried down to something much deeper and richer - when I sniffed my wrist it still smelled light and floral, but the throw was all honey and chamomile. Absolutely gorgeous. Most likely a bottle purchase because I will run through this decant soooo quickly.

This is just beautiful--rich, sweet honey and chamomile.

It didn't change from wet to dry, and after 7 hours, it's that beautiful Black Phoenix honey (mind you, I applied from a decant so didn't slather).

Bottle? Yep. Slathering? You bet. :wub2:

It's so strange how people can get different impressions from the same oil. On me this is straight up Snow White. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Snow White (it reminds me of the sticker book I had when I was little causing some odd mental flashbacks). This is not for me.

Judging from the rest of the reviews, I think my skin is doing something unusual with this. It goes on quite sweet and almost floral, but I very quickly get a strong incensy note (you know that dryish, slightly pine-y, faintly camphor-smelling stuff they use in churches? That kind of vibe). It reminds me a bit of the temple incense smell of Kathmandu, though not as strong. Is this the nicotiana? I don't know. It's not an unpleasant smell, but I don't love it enough for a bottle. Definitely not getting the honey-chamomile fest others have mentioned.

My first thought was that this reminds me of the tobacco flower note in The Lady on the Grey (clean, cool floral with a slightly gritty, sharp edge). It's like that floral + sweet honey. It's a little too clean and sharp for me, and I like a lot of bpal's other honeyed floral scents a lot more...

Wow. This is amazing. I just wish it had more staying power!

In imp and wet: the nicotiana and cistus (rock rose) poufs strongly at first, giving this a sharp green/white medicinal tobacco, rose, & honey smell. Drydown smooths and rounds so nicely though! It becomes sweet, lightly floral like a mead, and creamy (not powdery, thankfully!!)

Gorgeous! This is fresh, new floral honey. Reminds me a bit of Jezebel but the honey here is even lighter than that. This one is staying fairly true as it dries, although I'm picking up the chamomile a little more now that some time has passed.

Really youthful and pretty and I may need a bottle of this.

I amp tobacco flower/nicotiana like the dickens, so unfortunately Door ends up quite masculine on my skin - the honey & chamomile hold their own bravely, and on another person, I can see how this would be glorious, sweet & pollen-y. If Against Idleness was too syrupy & cloying for you, definitely try Door...

Sweet honeyed florals. Soft, medicinal and herbal. It's honestly like drinking a cup of chamomile tea. and all the sensations that come with it - Soothing, calming, relaxing.