Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Mr. Croup

Tonka bean, black musk, bourbon geranium, and crushed porcelain.

I have fallen in love with Mr. Croup. It was love at first swipe.

This is now in my top five as of this writing. 9 out of 10, and the only reason it's not a 9.5 is that the strength of the tonka and musk disappear too soon. It starts out as a fantastic cologne with bits of geranium, and then changes into a different fantastic cologne with more geranium, but it's not a flowery geranium, it's that boozy "bourbon geranium" that's almost indescribable. The musky parts of a geranium plant, mixed with mansmell. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about here, I assume.

Like DamnSatyr said, it's a strong, dark guy possibly in need of a shave. Which describes me perfectly. No wonder Mr. Croup and I get along so well. He's on the top of my short list for future purchases.

Wet: Mr. Croup smells decidedly different than any other perfume I’ve ever smelled. It’s sort of inky and somehow smells like...an object?

Drydown: Holy heck, that is the scent of actual porcelain! Suddenly I’m remembering playing with porcelain dolls my grandmother gifted me as a child. Soon after, a vetiver-ish note appears. Earthy and grassy, but also soft and clean...the geranium perhaps? As it dries the earthy-clean note is replaced by a warm, old-timey musk. It smells cozy and familiar.

Dry: Once dry, I realize that the familiar part smells exactly like a jewelry box I inherited from my other grandmother. Gold chains, costume jewelry, musty velvet, and solid perfume. How unexpected that this scent would remind me of both of my grandmothers! It’s like visiting both of them at the same time. The memories are separate, but in this scent they are combined; dusty finery, worn fabrics, handwritten notes, musky perfumes, and the unsettlingly accurate scent of porcelain.

This is not an "everyday" scent for me, but it earns high points for nostalgia!

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

This actually smells really good on me. I expected it to be kind of gross, because, it's Croup. But it's a nice musky scent that smells a bit aquatic on me, like a traditional cologne. I like it.

This has a cool, powdery sharpness at first that IS evocative of porcelain. On my skin it smells like a refined men’s cologne. Mostly, I get black musk. It’s powdery and dry and a bit old fashioned, but I think it’s kinda sexy, like a distinguished gentleman in a nice suit. I can just make out the geranium adding a little interest in the background. This is too masculine for me to wear, b/ would be a good bet for a man who likes classic colognes.

P.S. Actually, the longer this is on, the more and more I like it. It' still smells like men's cologne to me, but it might be good enough I just don't care. This one's getting worn. :P

Wet: This is really evocative - dark, grimy, gritty, overtop of something clean. Interesting, and so difficult to describe! The geranium is rather sour in this, somehow, and I am not caring for that aspect. Hoping it settles and the musk comes out. As it dries, the throw is a really dark, interesting cologne. I can totally get the porcelain note, which is fascinating.

Dry: I LIKE this. It's so not me, and I seriously doubt I would wear it, but boy, do I like it! I would love to smell it on a man. A dark, handsome, mysterious man...this is good stuff. The porcelain note is so pronounced. Beth's a freakin genius. So glad I got to try this! I think I'll age the decant, see what happens. If the musk comes out more, I just might be able to pull off wearing it!

I tried Mr. Croup out of curiosity and liked it much more than I expected to. I didn't look at the notes for about an hour and I too thought it had a leathery feel, but I really couldn't identify any of the individual notes. A kind of slightly sharp or herbal men's cologne, definitely kind of reddish brown in tone. When I checked the notes I laughed because you can really imagine the smashed porcelain being in there. Anyway, I have plenty of masculine trending scents that aren't named for despicable characters, and one of my swap partners is interested in trying this, so I will be passing it on, but I am really glad I got to try it.

This was the first Neil Gaiman book I ever read, and it's still got a special place in my heart. Mr. Croup was a particular favorite, and probably the only one of my faves whose scent description appeals to me (sorry Marquis :,v), so here's a quick review.

In bottle: Disconcertingly leathery, though there is a clear herbal tinge. I'm not fond of strong leathery scents, and the description didn't mention leather, so I'm mildly alarmed.
Wet: Still pretty leathery, but I am able to detect different notes. It's hard for me to sort them out and identify them, though. Maybe a bit of the geranium is coming through.
Dry: The leather is much tamed. It's still hard for me to identify specifics, but there's a good mix here, and the bourbon geranium is still there. There's also a sharpness that might be meant to be the porcelain. Funnily enough, the lingering scent on the finger I used to apply this with is in a rather different stage: much sweeter, and the porcelain is way more distinct. If it goes in this direction on the rest of my skin, I'll welcome it.

I enjoy masculine cologne scents and will definitely be wearing this. I also look forward to seeing what this smells like in my hair, but my hair still has a bit of Lamb's Wool left from yesterday. Somehow I don't think these would layer well. :P

I was surprised to learn i like this; it's dark, evil and in your face, but it's got a sweetness from the tonka and geranium that I don't remember smelling before from the lab. It's lightly dirt-y and has a bit of a straight up alcohol-y alcohol note. Just interesting enough not to run away from!

The strongest note I get from this isn't actually any of the listed ones: it's vetiver. A super bold, blackened, yet still grassy, vetiver. I wonder if that's supposed to be a component of this particular black musk, or if it is just stealth vetiver? Anyway, that's the dominant note on me throughout wear. Musky vetiver with some of the floral astringency of the geranium.

I wanted to try this because of the tonka and the porcelain, but the vetiver in this is too much for me.

Edited by doomsday_disco