Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

The Montauk Project

THE MONTAUK PROJECT
Vile weapons spawned in
A mysterious sanctum
Yes, Tesla still lives.

The government’s most dangerous and fantastic experiments are conducted in Montauk, home to the real Men in Black. Mind-shattering psychological weapons are developed in top-secret facilities, where researchers also investigate invisibility, psychic and psionic power, and travel through hyperspace, alternate dimensions, and time.

Breathtaking native flora concealing a bastion of covert government experiments: shagbark hickory, sassafras, black gum, bald cypress, pine, dogwood, wild comfrey, swamp sunflower, and trumpet creeper.

Aaaand another one of the Black Helicopters that goes insanely manly on me. It's very piney and cologney wet and in the bottle, and while I was hoping for some exotic florals (I don't exactly know what comprises the native flora) to burst out and save it, but the masculine pine cologne dominates all the way. It's almost completely pine wet, with the cypress making this something of a sharp pine, and as it dries down it gains more of a woodiness from the bark note. Finally on the extreme drydown I do get a hint of florals and a bit of sweetness from the gum, as my skin does sweeten most resins, but it's still very highly masculine and just won't work on me. The cypress, which is often a death note for me, doesn't help either as it gives it a sharp and medicinal edge. It would probably work well on a guy or anyone who really has an affinity for bracing pine scents, but I can't pull it off. Edited by Shollin

Cypress & hickory. A little too sweet right after application, but settles down a bit as it dries. Generally woodsy-floral feel to this scent. A bit sharp to my nose.

Edited by angelicruin

This is like a late summer landscape that's been dried up by lack of rain and lots of sun. The pine is a dominant note, but not overtly. There's some dried grass scent, even though that's not listed, but it may be the way my nose is interpreting all the notes of the plants and trees combined together. I must say that this is not the nut and grass seed scent of The Little Sparrow, though.

ETA: Retesting, it might be a little sweeter, and it's certainly sweeter on the bf, who has less acidic skin chemistry than me. I think it's more masculine, and haven't decided if I need a bottle or not. It's an interesting concept, and I do kind of like it, but I'm not sure that I would be wearing it anywhere.

Edited by thekittenkat

I must be amping something to high heaven, 'cause all I get from this is dirt. Rich and nutrient filled as it may be, but still dirt. Dirt/loam as a perfume kind of makes me feel like I should run to the toilet to vomit.

Most heartily NOT a bottle upgrade. *shudder*

This is more sharp and nearly soapy than I was expecting. I thought black gum would be a sort of dark resin, and I was also hoping for that sassafras to show up. Mostly what I smell is a sharp piney floral scent that kind of reminds me of Golden Priapus. I do enjoy pine scents, but this one is on the verge of being too sharp. It's another scent that I'm going to put away for a while and come back to later, hoping that it will soften a little bit and some more complexity will emerge.

Edit: 5 days later....well hello, totally different scent! Still sharp, I smell mentholated earth, with some other stuff. I'm still not sure about keeping this. It seems to smell different every time I wear it. It's going in a drawer for a while.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Not at all what I was expecting, which was woody and herbal with perhaps a splash of subdued floral. I get a bit of sweet flowers late in the game, but the first -and more overwhelming- notes are swampy and brackish. Not my thing!

In the bottle: Woods and something very sweet, like candy.

Wet: Wow, not expecting all that cypress! It's got a strong medicinal quality. I think it cleared my sinuses! :P It's also very sweet, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm picking up on here - floral, maybe? some kind of sweet herb? It smells a bit like bubblegum. Familiar somehow, but I can't quite place it. And duh, looking at the note list again, I see "black gum" listed. I guess that's the sweet smell I'm getting.

Dry: After about an hour, the scent has died down, although I'm still getting a sweet-wood-medicinal smell. A bit of floral. It's not unpleasant, but it's also not something I really want to smell like. I tend to amp sweet scents, so this might not be as strong on someone else.

Overall: Strong at first, with a medical wood and sickly sweet bubblegum scent. It dies down after a while, but it's a strange smell and it's not for me.

Edited by tailoredshirt

In the bottle and on my skin at first, this smells like black potting soil, mentholic herbs, and pine forest after a cold rain. The eucalyptus/menthol feel usually makes blends smell medicinal to me, but here it just makes the blend smell chilly and herbal. The Montauk Project is like taking a walk through a pine forest right after a cold rain when everything is still frozen and the sky is still dark and cloudy <3. I like it and find it very evocative, but not very wearable as a perfume at first.

After about a half hour, something of a dry, yellow-y, floral edge starts to creep in and I find this much more wearable. It's like taking a walk through the forest and suddenly stepping out into a field of sunflowers. It's hard to explain, but the blend morphs into something delicately sweet and sunny smelling for me. It even smells slightly dry, papery, and wooden, making me think of dry sunflower stalks and seeds. The hint of rain and pine forest lingers in the background.

ETA: Just under two years later, this hasn't aged well for me. Now it's sooo much like the scent of PineSol... sour, piney, intensely chemical-y, almost lemony. Blech. I actually feel like this is burning my nose and throat when I smell it :(

Edited by Little Bird

Wet I get dirt and a kind of fruity/ berry scent. Its the sasafrass. I have 8 trees in my yard and I love sasafrass tea. But on my skin its an almost berry like. The dirt smell does fade a bit and moves into the background a bit. It never leaves totally but does back off. I kind of like this one on me. It does seem to fade rather quickly, but I didn't use a heavy hand applying it either. Perhaps a bottle is in order? Not sure , but I will test again...

final 3.5/5

When I first saw the name of this blend, I realized that I've lived on Long Island practically my entire life and I've never been to Montauk. Weird.

Anyways, like others have posted before me, I mostly get dirt with a hint of something sweet from this. I really didn't like this at first because the dirt was so strong, but it seems to calmed down quite a bit since its dried. I wasn't expecting to like this at all, but there is something that's making me huff my arm nonstop. I think I'll need to hunt down a partial because I don't think I'll need a full bottle of this. :)

Definitely a woodsy, green, and herbal scent. I happen to love smelling like a forest, so this makes me happy! It's kind of like a rougher Yggdrasil. There's a notable moss component to it-- I think that's what's reading as masculine, but there is a sweet edge to it. I especially noticed that late in the dry-down, I got a kinda sweet, sticky base note-- I'm thinking that's the black gum + sassafras. On the whole, the sassafras note is fairly light (shucks!) and, yeah, the florals are definitely barely-there. The other comparison I have for it is like a less-floral Arkham.

Which seems kind of appropriate-- Tesla and Lovecraft are the ones who made the Northeast just weird enough to be worthwhile.

Oh, and the medicinal smell is the comfrey, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by PersephonesChild

My first review! (Be gentle with me!)

In the bottle, this smells like composting grass clippings. Intensely green and lush, with a touch of sweet decay underneath.

On wet, still crazy green, but with a touch of a medicinal scent. I want to say mint or camphor, but it never gets strong enough to easily identify.

On dry down, much more woody, I can smell dry bark and something more floral. It brings to mind marsh or seep in a forest on a hot, muggy summer day.

Overall, I really like this a lot. It's not going to appeal to everyone, but it's very unique, and I'm liking it enough to consider a second bottle.

Dark, slightly bitter, sharp and medicinal woods. Definitely some evergreens, that sort of harsh piney note that verges on Pinesol, but with a little bit of lighter cypress and dogwood. I get the dryness of the sunflower. I get some vetiver-ish bark and dirt. This is conceptually spot on - an overgrown dark forest, sweetened by a hint of syrupy sassafras.

MUCH stronger on my skin, sharp, sharp, medicinal, harsh, bitter, eye-watering, cringe-worthy woods and noxious weeds, with that harsh pine note jumping out the most. The sassafrass is quick to jump out though, as this dries within seconds, and adds a much needed sweetness to counteract the dirty, dark greenery. But it's still, not the sassafras note of rootbeer, but the one of sap, dark and sticky and not without its own medicinal bite. The sunflower has amped and adds an almost powdery dryness to this scent.

Still incredibly strong throw, but it's settled down a little bit - some of the harshness has burned off. Still, this is, as so many of the scents in this line, a combination of notes that I really detest. The only note that I'm liking here is the citrusy-fresh cypress, and the dogwood and comfrey are pleasant light greenery, more grassy - but quite overwhelmed, by the PINE, SASSAFRAS, vetiver and maybe patchouli, some sort of resin, and did I mention the PINE? I also still get the sort of 'bitter dark green vines and weeds' feel, ominous and swamplike, a tangled scary mess. Again, very much accurate conceptually.

This scent blends together quite well - I'll give it that; for what it is, it's very well made and well blended, it's just not something I personally like at all. The sassafrass and some mysterious resin sweeten this up, the pine settles further, and all the various greenery, woods, earthy notes and dry sunflower merge into a unified whole. It's no longer medicinal or biting, but it's still very dark, woodsy, and masculine with roughness to it, like bark and thorny vines. It's just darker and much more intense than I expected. It has great throw and longevity.

Starts with a nice leather, shoe-polish smell. Moves quickly into wood. It's woody with a light herbal overtone. The herbs green up a bit more. I like this!

Wow.. this one smells exactly like a walk in Australian bushland! I was immediately reminded of how damp ground smells - damp ground that's covered in various types of wood and leaves. There's a lovely sweet top note which is probably something to do with the floral aspects of the notes (there's something almost violet-ish in here), but my overall impression is definitely more influenced by the woods and pine.

It never turns medicinal or herb-y, and once it's completely dry (which took a while!) everything blends beautifully. It's not really 'floral' in the way we usually talk about floral in relation to BPAL, but it's not really 'green' either. For those of you who have never walked through Australian bushland.. slather this on, and you'll be there (in your nose, at least :)).

Wet my impressions of this with deep rich dirt mixed with woody notes and a bit of menthol. After an hour it morphed into very peppery, slightly sweet woody scent. Very masculine to my nose and definitely not my style. Still going pretty strong after 4 hours, I'll be washing this off.

:::THE MONTAUK PROJECT:::

DespairAlexGrey.jpg

Wow!

The Montauk Project is seriously delicious!

The first whiff that came out of this described a mutated, metallic popsicle!

Irradiated refreshment!

The Cypress and Pine mingle together with the Sassafrass and Black Gum to create a sweetness that

practically squirts into your olfactory receptors.

There is also an edgy, greenish-black contour to the Montauk Project that suggests a slithering and formidable doomsday sort of boogeyman lurking just over your shoulder.

The swampiness of this formula is a glistening and sensual humidity that sticks to your skin and gulps with it's eyes rolled up into it's head and muffled moans of ecstacy.

On the Skin: Sexplosive!

Hot! Hot! Hot!

The Montauk Project has cackling florals! Crackling florals!

Whether it's the Swamp Sunflowers or the Trumpet Creeper is difficult to distinguish, but when this mixes up with Dogwood, Cypress, and Pine, the amping is unheard of!

Now, THIS is Alchemy! Tried and TRUE!

The Montauk Project is a twisted symphony of seductiveness.

And it's BAD... Not the "ungood" version of bad, but the ice cold,collar up, cocksure, killer instinct that takes in a crowd with a glance and, with the slightest of shrugs, can lay the whole thing low...

Fans of "Ides of March" and "Golden Priaprus" will find The Montauk Project particularly spectacular.

This fragrance is a great, swooning masterpiece!

The Montauk Project is a fantastical, multidimensional, interspecies hybridization of stellar proportions!

On Her, The Montauk Project is a startling, gittering cacaphony of larger than life presence.

On Him, this is shapeshifting, megalomaniacal glamour that slips directly into the bloodstream and sings a frickin lullaby!

This stuff is TIP TOP!

Not a soul can bow low enough before the Lab!

A devastating 5.5 out of 5!

Wet, this is very medicinal and has a dry vibe to it. Dry, it pretty much is the same. I would say that this is an experiment of disaster on my skin. Sharp, woody with vetiver, not sweet at all. Probably someone else could pull this off, but not me. More masculine than feminine..

On the skin: dirt with a hint of evergreen. Wow, not what I was expecting at all.

In the decant: I smell the pine… and the other woods. There’s something a bit sweet underneath all the heaver notes, but it’s pretty faint.

Wet: I'm getting a Christmas vibe from this. Must be the pine.

Drydown: The pine has pretty much gone away. The other woods are still very present, but they’re tempered by green and sweet notes. Still… I kinda smell like an outdoorsy dude. I may have to test this on my husband.

Later: It slowly turns to furniture polish. It lightens up later, but it’s still too astringent for my tastes.

Dark, bitter woods. I get pine, a manly cologne and something that is obnoxiously chemical. And yes, as it dries, I get a peek of the sunflower but its very faint. Remains highly astringent, dark creeping weeds and mutated trees.

You know there is something not quite right in this place....

The Montauk Project - This smells like medicinal, heavy, wet potting soil. It's incredibly damp, mossy, dirty, and green...heavy, heavy, heavy. It reminds me of hiking through the Pacific Northwest rainforest and the smell of the mud as I try to dig it out of the grooves in the sole of my shoes. I don't like this at all -- totally not my style.

On me this is mostly sassafrass and pine with a very distinctive masculine vibe. It sort of puts me in mind of Schwarzer Mond or something like that. It's very deep and dark, but a manly kind of dark. Slightly sweet, but sharp at the same time. Not something I would be reaching for very often.

In bottle: Yummy, yummy woods and gum with a pleasant sassafras chaser. Wet: delightfully complex. Still wood dominant, but now the sunflower and creepers come out. The comfrey adds a little homeiness to it. I’m falling in love with each sniff. It’s vaguely, gently, aquatic. Dry: Not as impressive, but still lovely and wood dominant.

Decant: swampy and musty and woody

Wet on Me: more swampy and musty. really faint touches of floral under the cypress

Drying Down: the woody/swampy/musty scents have gone and wafted away and the floral notes are quietly blooming.

Dry: This started out dark and brooding and somewhat malevolent and ended up a sweet light floral. Lovely.