Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of Creation: frankincense, bdellium, sweet cane, cassia, cinnamon, and dammar gum.

Cinnamon sugar. Much gentler and smoother than I thought it'd be and that works fine for me.

I definitely get lots of cassia and frankincense on wet. As it dries, it sweetens up and it's more a cassia/sugar combination with the frankincense serving as a base. Resinous, it has this creamy/custard like vibe that puts me in mind of flan.

Yes. Flan. Spanish custard pudding.

Mmmm.

Egg Moon - While decanting, I spilled an imp of this on my jeans, which I was too lazy to remove, and so I got to smell lots and lots of Egg Moon for hours on end while decanting the rest of the blends in my group, so I'm very familiar with it, and my final assessment is that it's awful. Whether it's on me or on my clothing, it's super-strong, super-sweet and spicy red-hots cinnamon, and the cassia is unpleasant, but made even more unpleasant by the way the frankincense blends with it (wah! I usually love frank!) and then, beneath it all, is this weird scent (the dammar gum perhaps?) that smells kind of heavy and almost-boozy-but-not-quite and really, just makes the whole thing heavy and cloying and horrible. I've tried all but one of the lunar oils, and this is by far my #1 least favorite.

This was predominantly spice and frankincense on me. My skin tends to amp frankincense. Sweet and spicy and creamy and resinous. I like it, but I prefer Chimera for a spice scent.

This ends up smelling like Big Red chewing gum on me. I do amp spice, so maybe this isn't typical? I may get a teeny bit of frankincense, and for a brief moment while wet, it smelled custardy. Not really doing it for me here, off to swaps.

I get the creamy custard thing too. For me it is like a big steamy bowl hot rice pudding with a bunch of cinnamon.

Bleh. Not something I want to smell like. This is not wearable for me at all, so of course it has huge throw and lasts for ever.

Decant: I get the cane, cassia and cinnamon
Wet on Me: more of the same.
Drying Down: still cinnamon and cassia and now some of the frankincense shows up to play
Dry: spicy with a hint of the resins. mostly the cinnamon and cassia over everything. nice but probably will trade or frimp.

This smells like cinnamon gum! Thick, slightly sweet and spicy. This is also the first scent that I've ever had any problems with as far as burning is concerned, probably from the combination of cinnamon and cassia. This scent is definitely not for anyone with sensitive skin! I can usually put anything on my skin and this burns a little. It's a pretty delicious smelling scent, though.

In the vial - Sharp sweet cinnamon.

On the skin - Cinnamon, with a side-order of frankincense.

Dry - Something comes along and mellows out the cinnamon just a tad. TASTY. :D

Creamy cinnamon - OOOHHH this is lovely! It sticks around quite a while too - just about 5 hours, and for me that's a long time! :joy:

ETA: Egg Moon reminds me a bit of SL Rousse...wearing it this morning and had to edit. Egg Moon is so lovely - still a marvelous, creamy cinnamon.

Edited by Herb Girl

In the bottle: Cinnamon, cassia and warm resins.

Wet on skin: Cinnamon, cassia, resins

Dry on skin: Warm resins, incense and cinnamon/cassia - it doesn't have too much throw, it's more like an enveloping warm glow.

Final thoughts: I didn't get a bottle when it first came out on the site and had to hunt one down on eBay to satisfy the voice in my head that thought I might like it (plus, the ouroboros theme is something I'm fond of). I'm surprised there's no amber listed in the notes, as my nose is mistakenly associating it with scents with golden amber (maybe it's the dammar gum). While it's not a perfume I'm often reaching for, there's something in that bottle that calms me completely and that is very comforting. A beautiful resinous warm scent.

Try if you like: Bengal, The Lion

egg moon was a surprise hit for me when i got to try it at c2e2 last year! it was a very last minute purchase- i was just about to leave the bpal booth (*sniffle*) when i decided to give it a try. it's a rich, chewy cinnamon/cassia scent. not a foodie cinnamon cookie, but a burning hot spice note against a backdrop of sweet resins. it burns my nose if i sniff too closely, but this is delicious.

Edited by porcelina

From the bottle, it smells like...Dr. Pepper? Or cola? For serious, I don't know why my nose insists everything is soda today. But on me, I definitely get the cinnamon and cassia...it goes through a weird phase where it smells slightly sour and "off," like Saw-Scaled Viper did, but it settles down quickly.

The sweet cane and cinnamon kind of combine to make a snickerdoodles-like smell, although the frankincense comes in and rounds it out nicely. The cinnamon is almost a Red Hots-like scent, a little sharp, but sweet too.

Then, after an hour or so, it mellows out and starts to take on that "creamy" quality I'd heard about in other reviews (the quality that made me want the scent so badly!). Creamy, spicy, and a little floral (from the bdellium? Is that a flower? I am so clueless about the meanings of some notes...). Which is a really nice combination...I'm glad I got this scent, finally!

Oh, my god. I would move mountains for this thing. I would marry it and build it a shrine and sing its praises in interpretative dance. Short of being able to do that, I am writing a review, which I've always been too shy to do very often, but sometimes something's just so amazing I can't help wanting to :x

In the bottle it's a heady, resin-y, creamy spiced work of art that reminds me of Bengal without the dry notes that make that go so powdery on my skin. Wet, it spends a while being dead-on perfect crème brulée - which I would have been more than happy with, as I've been searching for something like that for years :x As it dries, though, it starts to become more about the resins, and this is where my review is going to lose all coherence and usefulness because all I can tell you is that it is so beautiful that every time I breathed in I found myself on the verge of tears. I'm totally given to hyperbole - I won't pretend otherwise - but I really mean it. It's like being in the oldest, most peaceful places on earth, and it made me cry, and I am going to hoard it forever :)

I mean, honestly, from the reviews I was hoping for custard tarts, but I'll happily pass that up in favour of what was basically a religious experience :x

Edited by DurAnorak

I had a meet 'n sniff with lucyboo, ages ago. There we found that we were scent opposites. If it was something that smelled gross on her, it was lovely on me. Out of curiosity, she had me try on Egg Moon, since it was not pleasant on her. It was amazing on me.

Spicy with a background of creaminess, but not foody at all. And I refuse to believe that there is frankincense in this. I hate things that smell like incense. This is deep, and spicy and wonderful.

Lucyboo decided that since it smelled so good on me, that I should have it and gifted me the bottle. This is something I wouldn't have tried on my own, based on the scent notes. (I only like cinnamon and cassia from the listed notes of the scent-I don't know what three of them are and I hate frankincense.) Its one of my favorite scents and I've been wearing it a lot. Yay!

Decant from forum:

I just want to pour this over ice cream or something.

Normally I really don't like cinnamon as a note. I love eating it but wearing it reminds me too much of the spice rack or oven so I pass on it. In Egg Moon it's just about perfect. This is dessert resin, sexy as hell and strong. Foodie but not your regular type of foodie. Gourmand is probably the word I am looking for here.

Not so much a spring/summer scent but come fall/winter...this would be wonderful. I may have to track down a bottle.

Ok so I love all things EGGS! Not sure why it's a fascination I've had my whole life. I love the shape of eggs, the look, the color, I'm weird I know. So when I saw Egg Moon I hoped it would be love. But sadly this little egg scent got over run by spices and powder.

This was a very light cinnamon, cassia, and powder over a even lighter egg cream type note. I wish it was much more eggy and creamy but it was mostly spice and powder which took over. But it's not strong it's a very light scent.

It had medium throw (mostly powder and cassia) at the start but didn't last very long. It was a light spicy scent. No egg. :(

In the bottle: A rich, warm-smelling cassia and cinnamon. I think I can smell some frankincense in there too. Spiced, smooth, warm.

On my skin: I smell the frankincense more now than in the bottle. The cane is keeping this scent from being too dry or dusty... it's more on the slightly-sweet side, though it doesn't really smell foody or like baked goods with the cinnamon. This scent contains two notes I'm not familiar with: bdellium and dammar gum, both of which Google says are resins. This is basically a warm, slightly sweet incense on my skin. Michi describes it as "cozy". I was hoping for more of the "creamy custard" that some people have mentioned, but I kind of get it - there's just sort of a smooth warmth to this scent. It's the kind of incense scent I enjoy.

Dry, I'm getting a lot of warm cinnamon, and it's sweet, though I still wouldn't call it foody. If anything it reminds me of chai tea. I agree with the comparisons to Bengal, but I think I might like it even better than Bengal, because the musk/honey in that scent goes kind of powdery in a way I don't love. I'm definitely glad I got ahold of this!

I don't know if my skin is just not amping anything because it's so cold here, but oof i wish this did. Lovely soft cinnamon and a few "squishy" sweet light-purply notes, all meshed together in a smooth frankincense.