Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Based on a venerable French pontifical incense blend: monastic frankincense and myrrh, Damascus rose, Russian gardenia, cassia, and lily of the valley wafting on a chill Autumn wind. A celebration of the glory and suffering of the saints and matryrs of the Church.

Okay this one is the 06 version.... and it's even more rosey than 2004. It's almost straight up rose, without any resins.

Made.of.lose Edited by zankoku_zen

The scent description is much, much more complex than what I'm actually getting on my skin. I'm getting almost pure dry frankincense and myrrh. No flowers at all! Since I covet incense blends, this really appeals to me :D Lasted almost all night on my skin, too. This is the '06 version and I'm a big fan!

This is the 06' version I'm reviewing. And I can safely say this is the most potent floral ever. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the fact that the oil is aged alot but this is making me get a headache and I never get headaches from perfume.

Rosetastic is the word that springs to mind. Very heavy rose...it's like othello but dirtier and much much more heavy and heady. I love othello..but this is crazy strong.

I'm gonna be sending this to my next swapee as a frimp and hope they like it. It's just too much for me.

All Saints 2006. Thank you for breaking my bpal cherry! Yes, I was a virgin to the lab before I ordered 5mls of both Blood Phoenix and All Saints, and being an incense lover I examined this bottle first. Now this bottle had been opened for a smell by the previous owner, so when I held the bottle under my nose I could get a whiff of a very faint rosy cedar smell, similar to my Great-Auntie Borghild's sitting room. I opened the cap and took a light whiff, wow! A rich essence of roses and deep myrrh was my initial impression, and a deeper whiff gave way to amber resin, lilies and light honeysuckle. When wet on my skin I smelled very powerful verbena and sickly sweet roses, and after ten minutes the scent is very warm, yellow and Catholic. Not Catholic in a Pater Dei manner, but a universal transcendent Catholicism. A worship that knows Mary, the Black Virgin, the Lady of the Heavens, Diana, Erzulie, Rada, Yemaya, Isis, Oshun, and Inanna. The flowers and myrrh have become old offerings and the amber hardens and petrifies. 45 minutes later the scent is going strong but faded down to s whispering velvet of rose petals. Now I am dreaming of laying on a back porch daybed on a humid New Orleans evening. Lovely, but only for special occasions and night time use. I am glad I got this in a 5ml. Since this is my first sniff of bpal EVER, for now I am giving this one a 6/10. I will update later after my collection grows.

Edited by norskette

Wow, I was really surprised at how this smells. To me, it smells like a woman of the 50's. A era where ladies still lunched and wore wrist length white gloves. This is something I picture coming from a fancy atomizer crystal bottle. Very soft and old fashioned. At first sniff the rose really stood out to me. That is the most potent scent to me. Upon application I still have the rose as a dominant but I can definitely smell the myrrh and lily in the background. This scent is nice because the smell last without being too overwhelming. I'm really enjoying this ladylike scent. So far with the BPAL scents I have tried they smell on my exactly like they do in the bottle (no turning, knock on wood!) ;) and this one is the same. Lovely, especially for someone who wants a old fashion classic floral scent with a hint of something mysterious.

This is a review for the 2010 version. This starts off with the resins and rose incense. As this dries, it becomes more floral, but a bit dusty, like powdered incense. I think I smell a hint of autumn leaves too. This is STRONG stuff - just a dab is enough.

This is rather pretty and reminds me a bit of Gothic Horror. But unfortunately, something (probably the resins) gives me a headache. Alas!

Edited by TheIceMaiden

I was expecting a scent that would be like incense in a cathedral. But All Saints is a rose scent. It reminds me of a shop on Haight Street in San Fran. I don't know if it's still there, because I moved, but this shop sold gargoyle statues and other goth-y items. One day I bought some rose potpourri there and for a while my whole apartment smelled like old roses. That is what this smells like. I don't get any frankincense or myrrh or anything other than dusty old roses. I like it, but I wanted something more cathedral-y. Maybe I should just get Cathedral.

Could it be? A rose scent that I love?!?! Before this, the only thing I ever liked was Gypsy Queen and that's impossible to snag these days.

It appears that Rose + Resins/Incense is my friend. I am really loving this. It's a sweet, incense-y, resin-y, dark floral. Another one for my bottle list. :wub2:

Edited by talula_fairie

2010 version- almost entirely dried rose, with just enough resin to ground it a little bit. I'm really picky about roses, but I love this scent. I think it's the same rose note as in my beloved Les Fleurs du Mal. As much as I love it, though, I was hoping for a little more incense, and lo and behold, layering it with Midnight Mass makes it the exact scent I was hoping for! They're so gorgeous together that I'm going to stock up on All Saints in the hope that MM comes back for Yule.

2010 version

Roses, hint of lily and gardenia and at the very background a touch of incense. Unfortunately, this is the BPAL rose note that I amp up to high heaven.

Pass.

Rose with a dash of incense. Nice, thick, heavy roses, deep red. Actually it reminds me of...Tabula Smaragdina, or perhaps Peacock Queen. Now I have to go dig those out and compare!

I don't know if I'll get a bottle - it is a lovely scent, but I don't know if I'd use it enough.

2010 version

Hmmm. I've always avoided this one -- I mean, really, GARDENIA, and lily of the valley, and frankincense. Sounds like something I'd never wear.

Yep, smells like floral perfume in the imp. White flowers. The rose pops up when it hits my skin, so there's that, too, but I don't smell anything else. White florals and fresh almost-damp rose. Amazingly enough All Saints' doesn't turn to straight-up soap. The rose strengthens as it dries and overpowers the white florals, actually.

I didn't expect a mainly-rose blend out of All Saints', especially with all those Fail Notes in there, but that's what I ended up with. It reminds me of the few weeks I spent taking care of a vacationing couple's roses. I would say it's not really a red rose on me; more of a pink feel, but not like a delicate pink, deeper than that. It's very pretty!

All Saints 2010 - This smells completely different to me than the previous versions, and it's my least favorite. The rose in it is very, very heavy, and white florals -- the lily of the valley in particular -- give it a high-pitched, cloying sweetness that is just not a good scent for me. I barely smell any of the incense notes, and the frankincense and myrrh don't warm up and glow on my skin with this version as they did with previous versions.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

2010 Version

Lots of rose in this one especially while wet on my skin. As it begins to dry, I do pick up traces of the other floral notes, but this is still nearly all rose on me. Not smelling the incense at all.

Dark, complex florals. The roses are more subtle than I expected, but they make for a lovely backbone to the other notes. Not my absolute favourite of the Weenies for 2010, but a stayer all the same.

Rose, rose, more rose and something jasmine-like, which I'm guessing is the gardenia. I tend to amp florals, so nothing else is peeking through. Much to heady for me, but glad to have tried this!

It's been a bit difficult for me to pinpoint this scent. On my skin it starts out sharply floral, with a dark sweetness to it that makes it difficult to pick out the individual notes. As it dries down, I can smell the rose, and it's a dry and dusty rose, darkened by the incense and sweetened by what I think is the gardenia. It settles well, into a dark, smoky-sweet rose incense but unfortunately has very little staying power. I'd love it if it didn't evaporate within two hours of application!

In the bottle this scent smells very mysterious...dark but light and airy at the same time. This reminds me of a church service on a spring day when they are having the mass with the doors open so the fresh air and the breeze fills the room up. On, a great a little more of the heavy incense and richness that make it seem more Fall than Spring. On the dry down the lillies jump out big time (they always do on me) and end up overpowering. Once its completely dry though it smells rich, slightly floral and just overall lovely. This is a pretty complex scent as it turns of few times on me. I have to say I enjoy every stage though which I dont always. This is probably one of my favorites because its so easy to wear and seems to change just a little each time I wear it. Sometimes it will be more incense, sometimes more floral but always beautiful!

On me, All Saints is lily, rose, and resin. It's very pretty and stronger than I thought it'd be.

2010 version, from a fresh decant

Soft incense, resin and rose. Slightly powdery. Not at all sweet, though I expected that for some reason. A bit too Grandma for my tastes, as the powdery aspect only gets stronger over time, though it's a very pleasant scent.

This is for the 2010 version.

In the bottle: a lovely combination of all the notes.

Wet: The frank and myrrh are floating on that chilly breeze (ozone).

The dry-down: Now the florals peek out. Must admit that I was worried about the lily of the valley, a scent I love that alas does not love me back (it becomes sharp and "brown"). However the sweetness of the rose and gardenia are holding it in check so far. I prefer the wet version and will wear this in my scent locket.