Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shuttrrbug

Old-fashioned yet modern?

I kinda feel like I am a weird mix of being really old-fashioned but also striving to be quite modern.

Are there any perfumes that strike you as being both "old and new"? I haven't tried many BPAL scents yet, but I know I love Carnivale, Tombstone on my boyfriend, Harlot, Bordello, and Old Rome (although that last one goes "perfumey" on me).

Ooooh, Sacred Whore of Babylon strikes me as very old-fashioned, but with a twist of the more modern. So does Alice, and also in that vein, Old Morocco. :P

I really like Black Rose...it is very traditional, but it has a sweetness and an edge that make it unlike traditional perfumes...

Also, since you liked Harlot, you might be interested in other rose blends, such as Jezebel, Psyche, Rapture, or Wanda, all of which are utterly gorgeous spins on the traditional rose base.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've been wanting to try Alice anyway--sounds like it's for me! I'll look up the other stuff and see if it sounds like something I'd like.

Feel free to add more suggestions as you think of them.:P

I think that Pride smells a bit like a woman from another time and place. It's so obvious and decadent...

By the way..."Hi!". fellow Lush forumite! :P

if you like slightly foody florals then get thee some All Saint's immediatly, before its gone! its very chocolatey to me and the base of frankincense makes it very "old fashioned" but the rest of it makes me want to eat it!!!!! (in a throughly modern way of course!) Very much in the same way velvet is...but lighter.

I find Snake Oil and Juliet to be more classic than edgy, but they don't smell fusty and musty like grandma's perfume at all. Snake Oil is an old-fashioned incense and resin oriental that is modern precisely because it ISN'T an ultra-mod Jetsons space age scent, and Juliet is a beautiful young-womanly yellow floral that's like sunshine and lilies in a bottle. And this sounds weird, but layering Juliet over Snake Oil is one of my favorite things to do. It's flowery and rich and lasts more than 12 hours. :P

Sign in to follow this