Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
veronicafranco

Recommend a scent for a specific dress or outfit

Thanks guys! Awesome suggestions so far! (and thanks for the compliments on my dress pick ;).)

I was actually debating a chocolate base or dorian! There's a bunch here I totally didn't think of and totally didn't expect.. :) AWESOME. Like Ronin and Titania? Awesome offbeat suggestions I wouldn't have thought of!!

I was also thinking of Hope from CD but mixed with something. I'm going to check out the 13s too!

that dress looks, to me, like it could go one of two ways - sweet or sassy.

sweet - like an innocent Sweet 16 or prom dress (or "girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes...") - could be something like Black Opal, Strawberry Moon, Bon Vivant, Hope or Faith.

sassy - like the femme fatale in a black & white detective movie, cigarette in a long holder, little hat with one of those veils made of fishnet with the velvet dots innit - could be Snake Oil, Perversion, Panther Moon, Mme Moriarty, Haunted or Juke Joint.

purty dress!

SophieCedar, your dress is so beautiful! Congratulations!

Hmmmm. Based on what I own, I would toss my vote in with Dorian -- it's sweet and pretty but also a little seductive. I like how someone else suggested Ronin! I wouldn't have thought about it but I do find it a subtle, pretty scent. The combination of rice flower, honey, pepper, sandalwood, and moss make it like Dorian -- pretty, classy, but ever so slightly seductive.

I second Mme. Moriarty as a candidate -- I always get a vintage vibe from it. Maybe also Countess Willie if you like the scent? The chocolate plum combined with the red musk, ginger, and candied fruits make it sweet but sophisticated, seductive and classy (at least to me :P).

Again, congratulations and I hope you have a lovely wedding!

Edit: some additional info

Edited by Kejiaron

Beautiful dress, sophiecedar - and congrats :D Have you tried Gypsy Moth yet? It really is a very "white" scent to me without being too sweet and innocent.

Your dress is GORGEOUS! I love the idea of a tea-length dress and sleeves for a wedding dress. Props to you and a big congratulations!

TrailerTrashPrincess and I must think alike! You could either go the sweet/innocent route with Agrat-Baht-Mahlaht for the sugary notes or go soft floral like Helena or Twilight.

Or on the flip side, i think that dress says a bit more than sweet and pretty. I think its sultry! And with that, I'd go with Spellbound. While the roses say 'pretty', the red musk and amber make it a bit more seductive. Another thought along straddling the sweet and sultry vibe is Sed Non Satiata. If you don't amp booze like crazy, it hits the sultry notes very hard, but isn't like SEX SEX SEX I SMELL LIKE SEX (however, if you amp booze, my grandma likes to say, "nothing tackier than a drunk bride". But I'd probably wear it either way :lol: ). And both those scents seem to last on me, and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be repeat slathering at my wedding.

Do update everyone on what you decide!

Edited by capncait

Thanks everyone!! :wub2:

:lol: capncait you're hilarious! makes me rethink serving martinis and margaritas at the reception. ;) We're having the ceremony @ a gazebo on the waterfront and reception at our house, in the backyard. We're trying to secure a bouncy castle if the weather is good! *for the adults, not the kids* :)

Having the scent last all day was the part that I was concerned about. I mean I can definitely dash into the house to reapply ..and all my friends understand my obsession w/bpal anyways so if I dabbed in public they would simply want some too!

For longevity, I was thinking of the gardenia or magnolia blends, as those seem like the marathon champs: Josie mixed with Chimera to sweeten, Gaoler's Daughter, or Hope from what I have. I do have Mme Moriarty but she doesn't like me.. pomegranate is not my friend for some weird reason! Parsifal, wonder if that would last? Like the idea of Helena too. I tend to amp rose like crazy so I have to be careful... Hope lasts on me because of that reason! Booze notes are ok, as my skin has a sweet base so it turns syrupy. Though the suggestion for Gypsy Moth excited me because I should be receiving a decant soon!

Such great ideas... I have a lot to think about here. I love all of them!

Edited by SophieCedar

Ok... so the previously posted dress didn't work out (they measured incorrectly. It was 2 sizes too small & they didn't have one in my size. I was heartbroken for a sec but I bounced right back, as usual ;) Plus it would have made me sweat like a beast.. ).

So... I got a new one! It fits like a glove, fortunately. More of a champagne gold color than the pic indicates...ivory lace over a champagne underlay and champagne bust lining. Pink roses and deep gold stems at the hem. I got those shoes and petticoat in the pic, too!

What scent would match this wedding dress?

hastings-short-wedding-bridal-dress_8-1-2.jpg

short-wedding-dress-back_1-1.jpg

Edited by SophieCedar

some choices for both name and scent:

Antique Lace, Champagne and Roses, Love's Philosophy, Unveiled, White Rose

Ice Queen also seems like a good one, that dress has a snowy feeling to it somehow =)

Oval Portrait would be pretty, and has a spicy edge to it that reveals the sass and not just the pretty. Khrysee or Defututa would go warmer and more sensual. The Girl would also be lovely!

I agree with White Rose and/or Antique Lace for the lovely wedding dress. Something about the dress and playful quality of it also makes me think of Eat Me. And wedding dresses always seem like they could smell like Dorian or Alice to me for some reason (maybe because they both strike me as being kinda clean, innocent, elegant, and sweet)...

Thanks guys! I looked for antique lace a bit ago, but no one was swapping/selling. :( I agree that dorian does come to mind with wedding dresses, however didn't think about alice until now! If any night owls have scent suggestions, let me know! :bow:

Dorian, Dorian, DORIAN! That dress is gorgeous, I love the idea of ivory lace over champagne, and Dorian has always been a very golden/champagne colored scent to me. And I think it would be perfect with that dress because it's such an elegant scent. Plus, it's a good scent to wear for a wedding in any case, sweet and romantic but still refined (and a bit sexy).

Another very golden scent to me is Sudha Segara. And if you don't feel it's too warm for August, Morocco is THE golden scent.

(And FWIW, my immediate thought for the first dress was Black Dahlia. Something about that dress screamed "Southern gothic" to me.)

ETA: Oh! PELE! It's an incredible white floral with a delicate, pale apricot (the color, not the note) richness to it that still feels light enough for summer...like that beautiful dress.

And Katharina is another "white with a hint of pale golden apricot" (the color and the note) scent, plus it's got orange blossom which is a traditional wedding flower.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Edited by Dymphna

Thank you, dymphna! You're so sweet! Southern gothic... I didn't think of that. Totally! If I didn't stop before squiggling all my black ink tattoos it would have looked even more so.. :lol:

Katharina? how come I didn't get this on my last order?!...urrrgh! Sudha Segara: almost ordered it. urgh again! Pele: just received it but only smelled so far. I'll test today, thanks!

Black Dahlia is a great idea.. it's one of my favorites but I could never figure out the right occasion to wear it. I could find some silk dahlias online and make a hair clip for behind my ear.. hmmm. You've given me ideas!

Edited by SophieCedar

I'm very much a jeans and t-shirts kind of girl, so I always end up overthinking when I have to dress up for some reason. And that includes what scent to wear.

Anybody have any suggestions on what might match this?

Red wine is a death note for me, alas, so I'll avoid anything with it, but any other ideas would be wonderful.

I love that dress <3. Maybe a dark vanilla and/or tobacco scent would match it well? I thought of Black Opal, Detestable Putrescence, Perversion, and The Antikythera Mechanism when I saw the dress colors. I think that Black Opal and Perversion might have more of the sophisticated party dress feel...

I'm going to a party in a couple of weeks. I'll be in this dress, and wearing these in my hair. My boyfriend will be in this (sorry about the watermark).

The desired effect is very much that of a . . . femme fatale. Any suggestions? The party will be at night, with a strong fetish/BDSM theme, if that helps at all.

I love that dress <3. Maybe a dark vanilla and/or tobacco scent would match it well? I thought of Black Opal, Detestable Putrescence, Perversion, and The Antikythera Mechanism when I saw the dress colors. I think that Black Opal and Perversion might have more of the sophisticated party dress feel...

Maybe Sarah? (Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth.) ooo or maybe Black Butterfly Moon (Lady of the Night orchid, benzoin, opopponax, currant, BLACK chypre, white gardenia, ambergris, damp, wooded mosses, and BLACK lily). A good musk scent would also work if you can wear them - either black or white. Haunted or Andreiphontes come to mind, but Im sure there are better.

Perversion and Antikythera Mechanism are two of my favorites. I've never tried Black Opal or Detestable Putrescence, but reading up on them, now I'm wanting to. Thanks!

*respectfully snipped*

Maybe Sarah? (Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth.) ooo or maybe Black Butterfly Moon (Lady of the Night orchid, benzoin, opopponax, currant, BLACK chypre, white gardenia, ambergris, damp, wooded mosses, and BLACK lily). A good musk scent would also work if you can wear them - either black or white. Haunted or Andreiphontes come to mind, but Im sure there are better.

Musks usually work well on me, so I'll definitely have to give that some thought. Haunted I've got in my stash and know I like it, but I might have to track down your other suggestions, especially Andreiphontes, it sounds yummy. Thanks!

I'm going to a party in a couple of weeks. I'll be in this dress, and wearing these in my hair. My boyfriend will be in this (sorry about the watermark).

The desired effect is very much that of a . . . femme fatale. Any suggestions? The party will be at night, with a strong fetish/BDSM theme, if that helps at all.

Well, Whip would match the theme and the color combination (black leather, red rose). Loviatar also, obviously, if you've got it. Black Lily is also a very dark red and black scent to me. And of course Perversion has "wear to your next fetish ball" or something like that right in the official description.

Oddly enough, though, my immediate reaction was to recommend Red Lantern. Well, I guess it's not that odd, there's the whole red thing.

That dress is beautiful, by the way!

i have this dress which i love but when it comes to wearing a scent that matches it and how i feel in it i seem to fall flat if you get what i mean? i thought bright red fruity scents but they aren't sexy enough and then i thought red musk but i think most scents i have with red musk in are too heavy for the dress since its cotton..... i feel i over think.

http://www.waynetippetts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/070gfw_wt09wp.jpg

i have this dress which i love but when it comes to wearing a scent that matches it and how i feel in it i seem to fall flat if you get what i mean? i thought bright red fruity scents but they aren't sexy enough and then i thought red musk but i think most scents i have with red musk in are too heavy for the dress since its cotton..... i feel i over think.

Awesome dress! And when I saw it, the first thing that came to mind was it needed a scent that's sassy. Unfortunately since I'm not the sassiest person, I don't have much personal experience on which to base a recommendation. But in reading other people's reviews, what about something like Pepper? Or Bordello?

Or to go a different direction, there's kind of a retro feel to the dress that might work well with something from the Atomic Luau Lounge (although, again, I haven't tried any of them, so can't say for sure).

Sorry, I'm probably not much help.

I also thought Bordello - maybe with something a little darker underneath like White Rider, just to give it a little edge but not become too heavy.

thank you i love it! vivien of holloway make beautiful dresses they fit amazingly i highly recommend!

mmmmm it looks like i will have to try bordello! the only reason ive never tried it is the wine in it any other bpal with wine in makes me feel sick :(