Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hlinspjalda

Intensity Bath Oil

INTENSITY
When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome. – Wilma Rudolph

For concentration and clarity of thought. This bath helps you banish distractions, and gives you a renewed strength of purpose.

Lemongrass, pink grapefruit, cypress, basil, sandalwood, and ginger.

In the bottle: A deep, resonant, green herbal note. I definitely get a lot of basil, but the impression is almost minty as well.

Wet on skin: I use these bath oils in the shower as moisturizers. When it hit my skin it became very vividly dark green and powerful. It doesn't smell like pesto, but it smells like the essence of fresh basil leaf, so greenly so that it's almost like juniper or eucalyptus in its intensity. It also has an anise-like flavor to it, although not at all sweet. I didn't get any of the citrus, ginger, or sandalwood at all Rinsing it off didn't seem to do anything to cut the power of it.

After shower on skin: Now it smells calm enough to remind me of a growing basil plant. There's not a lot of throw, though, not nearly as much as, say, Ice Prince. It also didn't fill the steamy bathroom with as strong a presence as Ice Prince did. I also got more of a woody note after I dried off. Still no citrus or ginger.

After a while, suddenly something woody and gingery began radiating off my skin. It felt almost as if my skin itself were warmed from the bath oil, post facto.

This is incredibly powerful stuff However, it doesn't like my skin as much as, or in the way that, I had hoped it would. I think I will keep my decant, but I'm not sure if I need more.

Intensity - This is very green and herbal, almost medicinal like eucalyptus. As soon as the oil hits the water in the tub, the top medicinal note dissipates -- although not completely -- and the lemongrass, ginger, and sandalwood really begin to stand out. It's not a "loud" bath oil like so many others -- it doesn't leave my skin or my bathroom strongly scented after my bath, even though I apply some of the oil directly to my skin before drying off. When I've dried down after my bath, I smell a slightly soapy, sandalwood scent coming from my skin, but it smells very clean and natural, not perfumey at all. Also, when I entered the tub, I was quite weary from a long day (a long few weeks, actually) at work, and my back hurt. When I got out of the tub, I felt clear-headed and invigorated, but not euphoric -- more like, now I feel like I'm actually able to go to bed and go to sleep without the worries of my day interrupting my sleep patterns. I think I may use some of this on my skin tomorrow morning after my morning shower so I can start my day off in the right headspace, since it's sure to be another stressful day on the job.

Wet, this is very medicinal, kind of like eucalyptus or Vics. It gradually dries to a fresh lemongrass, and for some reason it seems a bit fruity to me as well. Maybe the grapefruit? I enjoyed this as a moisturizer, but the scent fades rather quickly. Nice, but I don't think I need a bottle.

Okay, Intensity to me smells like Thai food. I get the lemongrass, the basil, the ginger. There is a tinge of woodiness in the drydown, which sort of just accentuates the 'Thai' food connotations to me. I really do get a fair amount of basil from this.

I was expecting something herbal and green. But I was hoping for a stronger grapefruit note.

This is the first bath oil I've not liked, and 'not liked' is the understatement of the century - it's literally made me feel like puking!

Scent - TERRIFYING! Blow-your-frickin'-head-off Vick's VapoRub eucalyptus. Nonetheless, I tried it in the bath with the merest dribble, and it was so strong and stinky I could taste the coldness in the back of my throat, I ended up scooping most of the oil out of the bath before it was remotely tolerable, but even then it felt like bathing in Vicks.

Afterwards, the entire upstairs of my house stank of Vicks, and I've been feeling pretty nauseous and strange for the past couple of hours. I do have multiple chemical sensitivities, but in general it's only things I ingest that make me ill - food, drink, cigarette smoke. I've mildly reacted to certain aromatherapy oils before, but I've never had issues with any BPAL product. This though, was just...wow. So much overpowering stink, I really should've gone with my first instincts and abandoned that bath at the first stink-wave! :( Suspect I will not get any sleep tonight, and will probably feel grotesque for most of tomorrow...

Never, ever again! My brother quite liked the 'unusual' smell, but it's going in the bin regardless - given its ability to stink out an entire floor of the house, I really don't want that stuff used anywhere near me :nervous: