Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Veritas

The essence of honesty, integrity, and veracity: frankincense, white carnation, angelica, chamomile, and heliotrope.

Gritty, bright frankincense and a little carnation. I swear I get cedar too. Soft, woodsy-floral powder on me.

In the imp: Frankincense, white carnation, and chamomile.

Wet: Frankincense, spicy carnation, chamomile, and what I'm guessing could be angelica (but I'm not familiar with the note). The carnation note is threatening to overtake the frankincense and eventually does as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: The spicy white carnation note dominates. I tend to amp carnation, sometimes to the point where it stomps all over everything else, but underneath it, I can smell the chamomile and frankincense, and what could be angelica (it's very herbal). The carnation and chamomile are the strongest notes on me. It's a spicy floral/smoky herbal scent. It reminds me somewhat of Mare Foecunditatis, only more floral and less autumn-like.

Verdict: The carnation in this is too strong on me (to the point where I thought the spice of it was going to burn my skin at one point). It's not unpleasant, but not something I need a bottle of.

There's a lot of nice frankincense here with a bit of spicy carnation at it's side. I'm getting something vaguely like an anise Necco wafer, too. It's a little sweet, a little powdery, and a little sharp. It's not a bad scent, but it's not really what I look for. I think the frankincense is quite nice, but doesn't really carry it enough for me. Though I will say if you like carnation, you might want to give this a shot.

Frimp. This smells like a clean scent. Looking at the notes, I am slightly dubious about the florals. It's currently drying, and it really does smell like an honest and truthful scent. I don't know how else to describe it! I can't work out if i like it. The frankincense is getting stronger though. It's definitely not an unpleasant scent, but I can't work out when I would wear it.

For me this started out with a spicy, almost licorice scent to it.  Dried down to cedar and frankincense. I love it!

"She left Mass with incense hanging on her Gunne Sax dress, to remind her of all that was holy, but it was all in vain.  She tore away from her family, running through the village and into the carnation fields, tugging at the black licorice she had hidden away in her pocket, and barefooted, soaked up the sunlit afternoon in her own Sunday style." 

I am really fond of Veritas and am surprised that I have never reviewed it.  Carnation is probably my favorite floral, and while Veritas starts off mainly frankincense and the slightly dusty green of chamomile, as it dries down I start to get lots and lots of spicy carnation.  I couldn't pick angelica or heliotrope out of a lineup, though I'm sure they're contributing here, but this is mainly about the frankincense and carnation on me.  It's warm, woody, spicy, carnation incense.  And as someone who received the Roman Catholic sacrament of confirmation while wearing a Gunne Sax dress and was hugely disappointed that the holy spirit didn't descend on me in any kind of tangible way, I couldn't love Victorian Lass's review more!

Fresh on me this is nice florals, a little misty, a little spicy, lots of carnation. They aren't overpowering and I can smell the frankincense beneath. This mellows down into a carnation heavy scent on me, and over time fades into a blended frankincense carnation duo. It lasts shockingly long on me for a floral, it's made it through 9 hours of work. That being said as much as I love frankincense, I don't think carnation and frankincense is something I'll reach for much, but I'm glad I have the decant, as it's tame enough for the rare occasions when I wish to wear a floral. 

In the imp: I smell something very sweet, like bubblegum. This disappears after a couple of seconds but sweetness is the main scent I get.

On my skin: the super sweet scent slowly transforms into spicy carnation, slowly morphing more into herbal chamomile. Reminds me of the chamomile my dad would dry to make tea with when his throat hurt. 

The scent is not super strong. I need to really deliberately sniff to get a whiff and it seems to fade pretty quickly.

After a couple of hours: a faint, slightly sweet scent in which I can't distinguish any separate notes. I don't dislike this scent, but I don't overly enjoy it either.

Veritas shows up as a frankincense and floral melange.
I’m not familiar with the scent of angelica or heliotrope, so I’m guessing they are the pretty feminine aspects of the floral. I had also forgotten about chamomile while wearing this, so I’m not sure how much it contributed. 
The scent blooms into a carnation party, very clove-y. As it dries all the florals tone down, frank re-asserts itself and outlasts them all. 

I swapped for an imp of this, because I’ve been craving carnation, and it’s my month of florals. I also love frankincense, so it seemed right down my alley. 
It’s a lovely scent, though I don’t know if it feels like me, something about the prettiness of the flowers. I’ll keep the imp and give it another wear, in another outfit and environment, and see how it feels then! 

Edited by artisjok

Wet, this is a lovely frankincense with its woody and lemony apects shining. It dries very quickly, and as it does, the heliotrope begins to sweeten the frank. Just a touch of peppery angelica comes out, but it is very faint. For about five minutes this is a sweet frankincense. Then creamy, spicy carnation joins in. The spice takes over as the main note, but I am still getting the beautiful frankincense beneath it to add depth. doomsday_disco mentioned Mare Foecunditatis. I can see (smell?) the comparison. Both have the same clove/spice forward scent profile. However, Veritas has the frank, and MF was heavier/darker due to the acorn. If you like MF, you will like this, but it is in no way a dupe. Not that d_d claimed it was, just pointing out that you can happily own both.

The carnation and frankincense are blending together in a way that reminds me of labdanum. It's giving off a slight fizzy cola note. Perhaps the sweetness of the heliotrope is lending to that impression? I'm not getting any chamomile. 

About an hour after applying, the spiciness of the carnation dials back, and it's now carnation and frank in equal parts. Heliotrope remains in the background keeping it sweet, but not cloying. I am having a hard time keeping my nose away from my wrist. This is outstanding! I need a full bottle of this ASAP.

5 out of 5 stars.

I don't get much spice from the carnation in this. It's predominately frankincense and chamomile on me with some other floral element I can't specifically identify.

I’m not sure how long I’ve had this imp but it was today’s draw so I had to try it. I was expecting much more of a floraly floral based on the description, but when I opened the imp I was very surprised by a lot of wood. Fresh cut wood. Wet,  I’m definitely picking up the carnation, the tiniest bit of the chamomile, and something peppery that I’m guessing is the angelica based on what other people are saying (I’m not familiar with either angelica or heliotrope so honestly who knows what I’m smelling). There are brief flashes of fresh lumber but only when I’m not looking for it. 

I’m really liking this so far and I’m glad I tried it but unless it really does some serious morphing I don’t think I’ll need a full bottle. 

Soft frankincense and an herbal scent like a health food store. Like various herbs and teas. I’m not sure what heliotrope and angelica smell like as single notes, but I can pick out the chamomile. It’s a gentle soothing herbal floral. Wouldn’t mind a bottle!