Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds

Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Wet: Tropical roses.

Drydown: Fresh, creamy coconut with a touch of rose and musk. I like this stage quite a bit.

Dry: The roses take over leaving just a hint of coconut on the side. It's a slightly wilted rose with petals just beginning to dry up along the edges.

I'd describe this one as very feminine and classic. It doesn't satisfy my personal tastes, but I'm sure many others would like it. Once the rose starts to dominate it just becomes too "perfume-y" for me.

3 out of 10 bones

In the imp: Musky, and almost minty somehow? Something cool that makes me think of mint, in any case, which is weird.

On skin, wet: Still makes me think of mint somehow, and I don't know why. There's a musk undertone to it, as well.

On skin, dry: Here comes the rose, but that odd almost-mint smell is still there as well.

After an hour: Rose-y and cool, with maybe a hint of coconut. But it's also getting a bit faint already. Still, worth a re-test I think.

In the imp, this is a musky rose and orris blend. Soft and pretty. Not overwhelmingly rose. I tend to amp orris, so I'm hoping it doesn't go overboard on my skin. The imp scent is a good combination of the notes. Oh yes, this is absolutely lovely! A soft, slightly sweet, musky rose with a touch of orris. The musk keeps the rose from being too intense or sour. This is just so soft and pretty.

Overall, this is a terrific soft sweet musky rose blend. The orris keeps it grounded. This is well blended and so pretty!

Source: Lab-fresh imp

On wet: A combination of soft rose and ... dill pickle potato chips?! :eek:

Drydown: Okay, the sour and saltiness goes away quickly, thank goodness! What I'm left with is that same soft rose, some gentle musk and baby powder. Orris often goes baby-powdery on me, so no surprise there. Alas, I can't detect the coconut! I'm afraid this is for the swaps.

This was a frimp with a recent order. In the imp, strong rose and something a little minty.

Wet, rose, mint, and an unpleasant undertone of BO. I'm not sure which musk in this isn't playing nice on me, but it smells like that first hint of BO that hits if you forget your deodorant on a hot day.

Dry down, it stays pretty true to the wet phase. Rose, mint, and BO with a touch of coconut. Without the BO, it would be a very pretty scent. It's just too strong to ignore.

This scent makes me giddy :lol: Out of the vial it smells like Vicks VapoRub and coconut and there's just something about that that makes me want to tap dance for joy :D On my skin there's definitely menthol in this, giving it a sparkling, diamond quality. The menthol gives way to COCONUT ROSE! Ahhh! :wub2: It's very reminiscent of BPTPs White Rose scent from the Unity set. Ahh yes...it dries into an almost exact duplicate of White Rose.

Gah! This one is a winner for sure! :)

I think I like this, I'm not sure. In the imp, it smells a bit like . . .fabric softeners? It's a comforting, clean scent anyway. After a second I get a faint hint of coconut, it's not cloying or overpowering and it does stop the sweetness of the roses and what I guess is the orris from becoming too strong.

Wet on the skin,: This is not working on me at all. It smells like Vicks (the menthol ointment) and I can smell the roses, but this just isn't for me. As far as rose scents go, I'd prefer Harlot. Nice in the bottle, I would have used it as a room scenter but for the coconut, which just isn't a scent I like.

Dry: Floral and sweet. I can kind of pick out the coconut as well. It's definitely a very feminine scent.

Overall Not awful, but not for me.

Edited by dandelionghosts

A lovely soft rose scent, a bit soapy but that ends up being a good thing in this blend! As others have commented on Beth's rose scents, this truly smells like fresh roses with nothing synthetic about it. So soft, feminine, and comforting. Not very long lasting, but beautiful. I give it a 4 out of 5--it would be a 5 if you didn't have to reapply it during the day.

Husband gave this a 7.5 out of 10, saying it smelled "very fresh and clean." He liked it but thought it smelled too clean to be flirty or sexy. <sigh> Wish men thought the same things were romantic as women, because I love this innocent scent.

In the imp: Rose, definitely... and there's something cool, almost astringent as well. There's also a smoothness from the coconut.

On my skin, it smells kind of mint/tea-tree astringent. With rose. It's kind of a strange combination. As it dries, the coconut/orris is coming out more... which is giving it a sort of sweet, "dusty" and soft, yet cool impression. It brought the image of a swan to my mind. I think that this sort of note is what I was hoping Wild Swans at Coole would be, but that one didn't work very well on me. Still.... it's kind of... grandmothery :| Not in a bad way, really... but it feels weird to smell it on myself.

I'm starting to suspect I amp orris. icon_sad.gif Even though this starts off with a cool, crisp coconut-tinged rose a strong root/dirt note quickly takes over and dominates the rest of the scent. Ah well.

I've tried some 30 BPAL imps so far and this one is standing out the most out of all of them.

I think the word ELEGANT describes it the best. Also soft, feminine, fresh and opulent.

I imagine Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast in Tiffany's while wearing it.

Yup, a bottle it is.

Imp: Beautiful, creamy, slightly floral coconut. I imagine white silk with soft flowers laying atop.

Wet: The rose note is battling with the coconut a bit but I always amp rose so I was expecting this. It's not an immediate "OMG WASH IT OFF" so that's heartening.

Dry: I fought the rose and the rose won. It's still a very delicate, feminine scent and thus completely unsuitable for me.

Oh wow, this is beautiful.

I was really scared of rose notes at first, because heavy florals tend to scare me off. I guess I associate them with headache-inducing department store perfumes. But my kind of sort of boyfriend mentioned liking roses, so I've been trying perfumes with rose notes out, and this one is definitely a winner. Perhaps even THE winner. I think it's mostly because the coconut comes out so strong on me, and I love creamy, sweet, foody scents. BPAL Coconut is definitely a Holy Grail note on me, right after amber. It's so sweet, but milky and warm, not cloying or artificial at all!

And even with the overpowering coconut, the rose is still there too, underneath the coconut, like a dewy rose, except instead of the dew being water condensation, it's coconut juice. If that even makes sense. I am the worst person in the world at comparisons. I'm definitely going to get a bottle of this. I can see using this as both an everyday scent and a formal occasion one -- the rose gives it a level of sophistication that most of my foody scents don't have.

Normally, this doesn't have THAT much staying power on me. But I've found that if I've put Coconut, Vanilla, and Tiare hair gloss from BPTP the night before, this scent can last through the whole day the next day. The coconut in both mixes really bring each other out.

Score: 10/10

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Fresh red roses. It smells somehow juicy. Juicy roses?

Wet: Red rose. There’s a soft creaminess underneath that’s very slightly coconut. This is not an overpowering rose to begin with, but that creaminess keeps it from becoming too strong.

Dry: The coconut and what must be the orris come out more and more. If I put my nose right against my skin, I smell this lovely creamy soft scent that’s hardly rose at all.

I would never have thought of combining rose with coconut, but it works fantastically well. I’m not usually drawn to rose scents—I like smelling my next door neighbor’s roses, but I’m not inclined to put roses on my skin. Because Roses, Pearls and Diamonds is light on me and wears close to the skin, it’s quite wearable. I don’t foresee needing more than an imp, but I can see this suiting certain moods, and outfits, very well.

Rose and coconut! This is beautiful! The roses hit immediately and they are strong, but soft too; does that make sense? Then the coconut creeps in slowly and wow, the way it mixes with the roses is just. Wow. Definitely a keeper.

This is a beautiful rose, ever so faintly tinged with coconut and orris. It's soft and pretty, and the rose gives it a juicy freshness.

It's a rose blend I can definitely see myself wearing. I love it! :wub2:

In the bottle: Coconut, musk and a tiny bit of rose if I look. Mostly coconut, though.

Wet: Boom! There's the roses. All the creamy, sparkling bits are in the background. They start to come forward as it dries and the orris and coconut ground out the blend to stop it becoming too sharp.

Dry: Beautifully balanced. Everything is represented and nothing dominates over anything else. It ends up being this really nice sweet, sparkling rose scent.

This is exactly what it says on the bottle - roses, sparkles and sweet, creamy notes. I wear this all the time, especially to work or if I've used Lush's American Cream hair conditioner (they pair really well!). it doesn't have a lot of throw but it's really pretty and non-offensive. Glad I've got a big bottle of it :)

• ITI: Hmm, I'm getting coconut, light rose, and the impression of mounts of marshmallow-ish fluff. Interesting.

Wet: It reminds me of what the White Queen from Alice in Wonderland would wear if she had a perfume. It's pleasantly powdery, delicately musky in the most ephemerally way, light coconut, and bedecked with gorgeous rose, even on my skin.

Dry: It dries down into a gentle, comforting coconut-tinged skin musk with a dusting of rose- very pretty.

In the vial: tasty coconut roses.

On the skin: Okay, as soon as it hit my skin, it was orris. But, as it began to dry down, it became velvety rose, quite deep, with just a tiny tinge of coconut. I honestly would never have tried this had I not been frimped with an imp from the Lab. Finally, another rose blend that works on me! It's quite a "tropical" rose.

This is a real morpher. First off there's a strong waft of coconut and a bright, almost dazzling whie musk. After a coupleof minutes wear there's a bright and creamy rose appearing. Not a scent for January but I think it will be gorgeous in the summer.

This is a very unusual scent, but I don't think it's really my style. I'm not really sure what orris is supposed to smell like, but I'm pretty sure it is the floral, slightly herbal overpowering note I get when this is wet. I get quite a bit of coconut too, but it's subtle and light. The roses are mostly in the background, which I appreciate. There's definitely something very cold and delicate about this scent... just not my cup of tea.

The coconut makes it smell like Thai green curry-- albeit a slightly floral, soapy curry (coconut always makes me think of curry somehow). Somewhere down the line the coconut fades and the rose comes into the foreground. Elegant, but unfortunately a no-go for me because of the coconut.

This starts out a sweet, minty rose, and gradually a creamy coconut note rises up to join it. The white musk behaves, thankfully--sometimes I amp it too much--and I only get slight wafts of it, and only from my neck and not my wrists. Several hours in, the coconut smells a little beeswaxy to me, which is not a problem at all. The rose eventually fades out, leaving behind just the waxy coconut to linger on my skin. This doesn't have much throw on me, but is a sweet, springy scent that makes me feel happy. It might be an eventual bottle if I end up reaching for it often.

This was a scent I was dying to try. One of my first posts in this forum 8+ years ago was in Fantasy Island asking for a "Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds" scent--thank you Beth!!!

Initially, this is very sweet coconut on me--not overly fake and suntan lotion-esque, but sweet, ripe coconut, like in coconut juice. Not really for me, after a bit of drydown, however, the rose comes out to play and this is really pretty and sweet, perfectly balanced fruity and floral. Reminds me of a less creamy Hanae Mori Butterfly, very girlish and sparkly and bright--so, so happy with this!

-----

EDIT: Going through a retrial of all my old favorite imps to see if there are any bottle-worth purchases. This is still lovely, but for the most part stays cloying-ly sweet on me until just before fading. :( Will keep retesting.

Edited by delighted

I have a confession to make: I doubted Beth's genius. I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!!! I'll never do it again! And in my defense, I didn't doubt it enough to not order a blind bottle of this.....

I just could not wrap my brain around coconutty rose. But this is, indeed, coconutty rose, and it is divine.

Seriously, it's like I've got a fresh cut pink rose sitting in a half of a fresh cut coconut right in front of me. Neither note is dominant, they're playing very nicely together. I'm in love and amazed anew at Beth's genius.