Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds

Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Dry, dusty orris, creamy coconut and rose. Together they blend beautifully to create a creamy, gentle scent that is extremely comforting. :wub2:

In bottle: This is pretty much all notes of death, so I’m not skin testing. It smells much a one would expect from the description. The orris makes the roses smell a touch decayed. The coconut is light, the musks a touch stronger. It’s not even close to my sort of thing and I really don’t much like it.

Frimp in one of my orders.

Rose happens to be one of my death notes, as it pretty much takes over the blend and turns it into a single, flat, one dimensional mess. Love the flower, hate the fact that I amp it to the high heavens. Still, I had hope for this one, as the name is pretty and the combination of notes sounded intriguing.

I have to say that of all the rose based blends I've tried, this one almost made it to my "must buy" list. For about an hour and a half, this is a beautiful, cool, creamy rose. From imp to wet to drydown to dry, I get rose with hints of coconut and a soft, sweet, creamy musk. Oddly enough, I also smell something tea-like way in the background (?!). Maybe it's the orris?

It's quite beautiful and stays close to the skin, which I happen to prefer. The rose is strong but the other notes put up a very good fight and hang in the background, keeping this from turning into a single note nightmare. Sadly, after about ninety minutes, they give up and I had to wash this off around the two hour mark because I was so irritated.

Highly recommend to rose lovers and those who want a soft, creamy floral that doesn't rely on the usual big white blooms. In the meantime, I am determined to make this work and will experiment with layering and scent lockets.

I tested this yesterday and am reviewing from memory only.

Short: It's lovely, very lovely. Sweet, powdery, smooth. It's an innocent girly pink powdery scent, much as one would expect. While I really like it, I think I might be bored by its niceness to quote someone's review above. It's a bit too soft and edge-less to be a me-scent, I think. I will still treasure my imp for moments when I feel I need something nice and innocent.

The scent is pretty light and would need reapplication IMO. It reminds me a bit of Alice without the dreaded honey.

In bottle/imp: Coconut-rose baby powder.

Immediately on skin: The baby powder doesn’t come through on my skin at all. Instead, I get a scent that’s a perfect balance between rose and coconut. It’s smooth and almost creamy (with a hint of rubberiness) with the cool, watery rose lingering above. There’s just a hint of sweet orris/violet, and a slight hint of high musk.

After a little while: The rubbery coconut fades a bit from this and most of what I now smell is watery, perfumey rose, a bit of fruity orris, and a hint of high musk. It’s pretty, and very feminine.

Overall Impressions: This scent is very pretty. The coconut I get at first is nice, and I wish it had stuck around a little longer. After a while on my skin this smells a lot like White Rose from the Unity Trading Post set from Lupercalia 2009, only this is much more rose, where White Rose is a lot more orris and vanilla tea with an equal amount of rose. White Rose also has an almost fruitiness from the amount of orris, whereas this scent is a bit more perfumey.

I've got a bit of a hit-or-miss record with rose (Rose Red '08 is easily one of my all time favorite blends, but most other roses are pure fail on me), so I tried Roses, Peals and Diamonds with a fair bit of trepidation. Fortunately, I needn't have worried! RDP was quite lovely.

On initial application RDP is a rose reminiscent of Rose Red, but lighter, and I'm also definitely catching the crystalline coconuty level of the perfume as well. The white musk almost has a bug-spray feel to it, which is odd since paler musks usually rock on me, but we'll see how it changes. Honestly though, it's not too bad at all, and it's not turning me off to the blend so far.

After about an hour RDP has a more earthy tone with the orris than I expected, but this has really settled down to an elegant blend. The rose is fresh and dewy, the white musk mellowed significantly, and the orris is coming off as a dryer coconut (much more like coconut husk).

Overall this one is really a keeper! I LOVE coconut, and having it blended with a pale white musk and a fresh rose note is just awesome. I'm thinking when the imp runs out I'll be replacing it with a bottle.

4/5! :D

In the bottle I can really smell the coconut. On my skin, it's rose, coconut, and musk. It's a wonderful combination, very creamy and sweet on my skin. Almost becoming more like vanilla, rose, and a gentle musk! I usually prefer lighter musks and they tend to smell really nice on my skin. In my mind's eye, this scent is white, creamy, and wonderful. I think this might be my favorite rose blend that I've tried. I could totally see myself getting a bottle of this.

I'd like to add, this has a pretty good throw on me and usually if a scent has a lot of throw on my skin, it's also going to end up with a lot of staying power. We'll see how it goes!

Edit: Yep, it had pretty darn good staying power. :lol: I'd say between 5-7 hours on my skin.

Edited by Ryokumuji

Let me say that I'm not a fan of Rose in general. This is beautiful. It sparkles much in the same way that Rose Red sparkles. This isn't the same rose, but it is very pretty. Just a touch of coconut, a bit of orris...just lovely. 4/5 for a non-rose lover.

Oh, this is so beautiful. I don't get along with orris, but I don't really smell it here. I get glistening roses and coconut. This could easily be called Roses and Opals, because it seems more glowy and lusterous than pearls. This is not at all my type of scent, but it's still very pretty and I will keep the imp around. I really love the coconut the Lab's been using lately, it's not as overwhelming as the coconut in say, old-school Spooky. I like this softer, sweeter coconut.

At first, I was worried about this one. I'm not usually a big fan of rose scents, since my skin amps them up and turns them soapy and powdery. This is nice, however. I can get the coconut just hovering in the background and the orris kind of grounding the rose a little bit. It's very light, though, and I didn't notice any throw on me at all. I think this will have to be a linen spray for me.

I had high hopes for this one. I like rose a lot better now than I used to, and I really like the idea of this one. I think the coconut is just a little too strong for me, though. It kinda smells like coconut + rose + powder on me. It's not bad at all, but I'm kinda just now getting over my dislike of rose and I'm still very picky about that note. I don't usually like coconut notes all that well, so I think this combination is a little too much for me at the moment. In case my newfound "rose is okay" attitude continues, I think I'll come back to this one later and see how it is. It's interesting and certainly not simply rose. At some point I'll have to do some side-by-side rose blend comparisons.

this smells a LOT like dia in the bottle, and dia is one of my favorites, so i was excited to try this. on my skin, it's a slightly toasty coconut and oakmoss scent. after a little bit, a creamy rose scent comes out, kind of like hope, but more creamy, whereas hope is like a sugary rose. this smells very much like rapunzel by arcana on my skin, but with the added oakmoss. the rose seems to slowly blossom more and more, the longer this is on my skin. occasionally, i'll get a bit of sourness from some rose scents. this one seems to have a tinge of that in the background. hopefully it stays subtle so that this is wearable for me. i like this one quite a bit!

Edited by theseagrows

What you read in the description is what you get - sweet, coco-nutty rose. The rose is present but not very strong in this, and the other notes keep it from doing anything weird. (Much as I love roses, it's kind of a craps-shoot when I try rose blends. I have ones that I love, and ones that turn into bathroom potpourri on me.)

While I don't love this one as much as I love Ophelia or The Rose, it's definitely nice. A 5ml isn't very high on my list of priorities, but I'm certainly keeping the imp.

Edited by lavenderfrost

Wow. This is absolutely gorgeous and may replace Whip as my favorite rose blend. Rose, coconut, and orris. Nothing cloying or too sweet just crips, clear, and almost creamy pretty. The orris and rose balance each other well (rose is a pretty strong note and orris amps on me usually) and the coconut is not the dry kind but the sweet creamy kind like in Elegba and Paduan Killer Swarm. All around amazing. After a while the orris overpowers the rose and I am left with mainly creamy orris and coconut with a light wafting of rose. This is much sweeter than whip and has an almost candy/cookie like feel to it. I have a feeling this will layer gloriously with Eat Me! For those of you who are scared of full bodied rose blends, give this a go. It has the essence of rose while being sweeter and overall calm, cool, crisp, and less rose dominant. I love this and as much as I adore Whip, will need a full bottle.

I received this as a frimp with my last order. I wasn't very optimistic about trying this; I've discovered that rose scents often amp like crazy on me, and so a "hint" of rose becomes a rose bulldozer!

Luckily, this blend was an exception. The rose is distinctly present, but light, and the body of the perfume is a rich, creamy mix of coconut and musk. As it dries, the rose fades away and the musk becomes more pronounced. This blend has more throw that I had expected for a light blend, but it's still not very strong. After an hour or so, this scent remains close to the skin. It's a lovely blend, and may be the rose blend I've been looking for.

Menthol!? Sweet coconut, fresh roses, orris and menthol. Something isn't right here, I don't know what the menthol note is doing in my imp and I don't see anybody mentioned this in their reviews. I'm a fan of coconut but this isn't my thing. The menthol burns off and I'm left with a powdery, cool coconut-rose with a very high white musk.

Oh, my goodness. I love this and have been wearing the imp I just got like crazy, so I ordered a bottle 5 minutes ago (first lab order in a while). Sweet pink rose, white musk, light coconut, and I suppose that other smell I like is orris! :lol:

It's clean and a bit powdery but not powdery or soapy in the way I do not enjoy. Great lasting power.

Wow, that one smells interesting!

Imp: Something icy, floral notes and light coconut. Like.. pink roses, sweet mint and coconut water.

Wet: Still, it's roses, mint and coconut.

Dry: Roses and coconut. Sweet, light and powdery. I like it!

imp: creamy floral. roses and milk, almost.

wet on skin: wet roses! a very lush and damp smell, as was mentioned above. still very creamy on me.

later: my skin really likes to amp up roses. I smell mostly that, but also a little bit of musk.

even later: oh no. powder, and lots of it. :(

At first this was a very elegant smell that made me feel very sexy and feminine. Like, "satin dress showing off my curves with pearls and a little velvet hat with feathers and red lipstick" feminine. Not a fan of rose, but I decided to try this one out anyway.

I'm on the fence about this one. It's faded to a very...pretty and delicate scent. I do really like it, but it's just not me. Off to swaps I think.

Edited by Maleficium

I received this as a frimp from the Lab. Only one rose scent so far (Lilith) has made it onto the like list, so I don't have much hope for this one.

Wet, this is roses and creamy coconut on my skin. I can't really pick out the musks/orris. However, as it dries down, the rose turns to powder and the musks appear, making this a coconutty, powdery musk. It's really not my kind of scent.

All I get here is a sugared, pink rose, very similar to 'Hope'. For a rose blend, it is nice, but I wish the musks and coconut came out. I'll wear this when I'm in a rose mood, which is not very often.

I adore this blend: the orris and the rose are exquisite together. This is very creamy on me, not at all powdery. It's soft and bewitching, with a decent throw. It lasts nicely, too.

Another unexpected winner, and I think it's worthy of a big bottle purchase for me.

Edited by OctoberGwen

Uhm it smells like some eucalyptus-blend my grandmother used to give me when I was little and had a cold. Besides from that it just smells wierd, kinda green and aquatic but I can't really tell any of the herbs/flowers out. Aaand rose. I hate roses :(

This a soft, musky rose on me and reminds of how Morrocan Rose by the Body Shop smells on me. I like Roses, Pearls and Diamonds better though :smile: I am not getting anything creamy from it, the coconut stays in the background and I can hardly smell it, other than an undefined sweetness. When I first put it on it smelt great - I think it must have been rose combined with orris, but after a while the orris fades and I get a musky, rose. It's soft and pretty, I will definately be using up all the imp but I am not sure if I would buy a bottle.