Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Christi

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

Bread, lightly buttered, with weak tea, cream, and a lump of white sugar.

In the bottle - Warm sweet tea with an almost aniseed-y flavour

Wet on me - Sugar crystals and sweet dark tea and a touch of toast

Dry on me - Soft dry tea with a hint of anise

Overall - Pretty and light, but not really me

In the Imp: Bread and sugar, and butter! This is real butter too, not the yellow smell you get from cake blends.

Wet: Still bready and sweet, and the butter is getting stronger. The butter actually reminds me a bit of sunscreen, it's very pale and creamy smelling. Sunscreen in a nice way :D.

Drydown: The butter is still real and slightly sunscreen smelling, and you can still smell the bread and sugar. This actually reminds me of the brown sugar toast I are when I was a kid. Literally just bread, butter and brown sugar.

Verdict: I like this. Not sure yet whether I'll need a bottle, but it's nice enough for me to keep the imp and maybe order another one when it runs out.

3.5/5

My skin chemistry must really fck this up, because I smell no bread/ buttered toast at all!

The lab's sugar note seems to turn in to a smell of burnt sugar (not the good caramelized kind) on me. The same one I smell with Sugar Skull. Together with that I get soapy and strong anise seed. That combination is not good :huh?: .

I am so curious about that toast smell you guys get!

In the imp: Yeasty, crusty bread. Warm, true loaves on a cooling rack in a bakery. Overpowering and uncomplicated. I did not like this at all!

On the wrist: Bread, bread, bread. A little butter hovering the back somewhere.

Ten minutes: The yeast and butter has toned down dramatically, giving way to something still warm but oddly clean and fresh.

One hour: I'm shocked at how good this smells now. It's creamy, a tinge powdery, with definite tea and scone notes coming to the top. I think I need a bottle of this! It's wonderful. A clean, warm scent if I ever smelled one. In absolute love.

In the imp, it's buttery and lemony. On my skin, it's like burnt toast plus fruit...currants, maybe. A very close cousin to Eat Me, except it's buttery crisp toast instead of buttery vanilla cake. I'm not a fan of Eat Me, nor this one, unfortunately.

Initially, I get an almost citrusy feel from this. I don't know if that's the butter note acting up or it's the tea note I'm getting. Either way, I don't really like this stage. Luckily, it mellows out somewhat on drydown and I get more of the tea. Throughout there is an undercurrent of buttered bread running through it, and to be honest I am still undecided as to whether I like it or not.

I think the final verdict will have to: It's light, much lighter than you'd expect bread and butter to be, and morphs finely throughout. It doesn't have much of a throw, though. It's not bad, but also not something I would normally wear.

This was one of the first BPALs I smelled in-person and was scared off by the prominent butter note. Now, a few years later, I'd been wanting to give it another try and finally have the opportunity to do so, since the Lab included a frimp in a recent order :)

The butter note is still there, but much less scary. The bread and sugar appear more prominent -- I find it's not a white sugar as described, more of a mapley, brown/burnt sugar. All together, it smells almost like a packet of instant Hong Kong-style milk-tea swirled with maple. The bread creates an almost dry, dusty base.

This is most definitely foody scent and the associations with HK-style tea and toast give it a nice nostalgia factor for me -- I'm just not sure if it's something I'd wear regularly.

This perfume smells exactly like cinnamon toast to me. I smell buttery, sugary cinnamon toast that's just shy of being burnt around the edges. At the same time, I smell that waxy vanilla smell (that I think some reviewers are describing as plastic) my mom smelled and disliked so much in Bread and Butterfly. I do not know how these two scents can exist at the same time, but they do. it lasted a fairly long time and had pretty good throw for the amount I applied. I didn't hate this perfume, but I didn't love it either.

In the imp: Tea, with an almost anise-like feeling to it.

On skin, wet: Same as in the imp.

On skin, dry: No change. Despite it being supposedly "weak" tea, that's all I can smell. x.x

After an hour: Exactly the same. Not a morpher, at all. I was really hoping for more of the cream or sugar notes. :(

This smells exactly like Haus of Gloi's Elevenses, described as: "Not quite breakfast and not quite lunch, its the little snack in between. Tiny, little fluffy orange cakes, sugar coated toasty almonds and a wee steaming cup of black tea!"

Wet, a big punch of butter--and yeap, smells like toast! Dries down to smell like a cozy house with throw pillows and cross-stitching hangings. It's not a clear, delineated scent but rather definitely the blended scent of buttered toast and milk tea, maybe if you had them together as a snack?

I should start off saying I love toast. With butter, butter and jam, or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar...served with a pot of breakfast tea it's the perfect start to a day. In the imp I get this exact evocation. Airy, very slightly buttery scent, weak black tea, and sugary speckles.
Wet on the skin, all of the individual components are present: a sort of airy white bread, a tiny bit of cold butter, some astringent weak tea with a hint of honey-like sweetness.
I have a naturally "sweet" smell, so astringent scents like tea work well on my skin, as do foody and buttery notes. This however sort of falls apart on my arm. It's just a very light perfume, delicate and sweet. If I didn't know what the notes were I would say pink tea rose and sugar lumps. It smells to me how I imagine Ms. Umbridge's tea from the Harry Potter movie would smell. Pink, roses, and sugar.

Reading the other posts, I was hoping, really desperately hoping, that this could fill the hole for my bready scent to love. Sadly, it doesn't quite hit it, but that's not its fault. Happily, though, it hits the tea scent I have been hoping for. So, here goes. Also, this was a frimp from my order that came in just last week.

This scent starts of with the butter that everyone has been talking about. I don't really get a bread scent at all on my skin. It's not a bad scent that also carries quite a bit. As it dries, I get a fade to all black tea. This stays this way for the next few hours as it clings much closer to my skin. Not once do I get sugar or cream out of this. And there are no complaints from me about it. The only complaint I have is that it only lasts about four hours on me.

I LOVEEEEEE this scent. This smells like toasted white bread slathered with heaps of sweet butter cream and a little sprinkle of cinnamon with a cup of sweetened weak black tea. Then there is an underlying edge of baby powder and white bar soap. Seriously all those things. Incredibly foodie and and bit cloyingly delicious.

I'm seriously kicking myself for not getting a bottle of this (or 10)because I love this scent so much. It's warm, soothing, sweet but not too sweet, the kind of scent you want to fall asleep smelling with your head on your arm... I'm really hoping I can find a bottle on eBay or on here or something because this is definitely one of my favorites.

Initial impressions: Holy crap, why did they discontinue this gloriously, tasty scent?! I like it as much as my Baby & a Baby Goat, but it's less sweet and a little more spicy which probably comes from the tea. Dammit, now I have to see if I can possibly find a bottle, but I doubt it.

Impression after a few hours: Oh, but then it starts to get a little sour, yeasty even on me, just a touch, but still. Sigh.

I had no idea I had this. But I've been chugging through my old boxes of imps to test everything. I neglect GC scents so they tend to multiply. Initial is suuuper buttery and bready. Not yeasty, but toast-ish. Gets super creamy with a touch of tea. I feel weird but this is exactly spot on.

But as it dries, it gets less foody and more creamy-floral. Light and gentle. Very in line with the Wonderland scents. Can't believe I hadn't tested this before.

This imp is from 2013, from one of my early Lab orders.

In the imp: Lightly buttered bread, weak black tea, white sugar, and a bit of cream.

Wet: Sugary, lightly buttered white bread toast and weak black tea. As it sits on my skin, the tea note becomes stronger. I think the tea is Earl Grey -- there’s a little bergamot at play here, but it is not as strong as the black tea base. The cream is present, but it resides in the background.

Dry: The weak tea note reigns, with the warmth of the toast beneath it. It does not smell very buttery, not like the buttered toast of Drink Me. The sugar is still present, and the cream seems to be content with its background role. Because the tea is so prominent on me and the bread isn’t really strong and buttery, it’s not an in-your-face gourmand. It is actually kind of clean thanks to the strength of the tea note.

After several hours, it’s mostly just sugared, weak tea. Only the crumbs from the bread remain.

Verdict: The Mad Tea Party is what made me fall down the rabbit hole into the world of Black Phoenix, and this Mad Tea Party imp was from one of my early Lab orders (I think my second one?). So it holds a special place in my heart. I enjoy this scent and was sad when it was abruptly discontinued. I will continue to cherish my imp. And although it isn’t the same, I’m glad to have a bottle of the Resurrected version, so I don’t feel the need to enter eBay bidding wars over this one. :)

Edited by dementia_divine

Tea and bread in the bottle. Goes on as tea, cream, and pastry — the nutty pastry note from Halfling. This continues into a buttery bread crust as it dries, and then the nutty pastry note comes back. Very tasty, although not much throw.