Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Christi

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

Bread, lightly buttered, with weak tea, cream, and a lump of white sugar.

I'm glad others mentioned anise. I smell that, too, but I took it to be the tea. I also smell something oddly florally--it's kind of a weird baby powder scent on me. Very strange.

one of my favorites- flowery tea with hint of vanilla and soft, warm bread. no real anise smell. It's a go to everywhere scent for me, and close to Love's Philosophy in it's wearability.

Not too floral. Most floral scents amp up on me, but these are very soft butterflies-really a good bread smell too!

In imp: bread! and some butter! I want toast now, from smelling this blend. Yum. There is a sugary sweetness at the end of my whiffs.

Wet on skin: nom nom nom. Toasted bread with butter. I'm getting a bit of the tea, but only in the background--weak tea is the right phrase for it. Definitely foody. Hmm, I might be getting more of the tea than I thought--I think I'm getting a lemon note, quite faint. Definitely foody. This reminds me of my favorite snack when I was a kid: toasted and buttered bread, with lots of sugar crystals dusting the top.

Dry: mostly the same as the wet on skin scent, some vanilla-like note is emerging and making it creamier than before. Yummy, and interesting, but I'm not entirely sure--it feels like it's missing a little something.

Verdict: I might end up getting a bottle for nostalgia, but it's not an "omg must have one now" sort of scent for me.

When I first tried this about a year ago, I HATED it. Literally, it made me want to throw up. :eek: But I'm going to try again I suppose..

In the bottle: sweet, sugared bread with a bare hint of tea.

On: I don't know what it is..maybe the bread..it just goes the wrong way on me. I get a sort of lemon-y, green smell that is hard to place and that my nose is just not liking.

The more I smell it, the more I like it, though..

It's an interesting scent and it really smells like its description, but it's not something I would wear. This bread note is VERY different that the bread from The Witch's Repast (which smells amazing on me). I am still undecided on this one..

If only this weird green-bread scent I'm getting would become more lemon-y.. :(

*Edit*

Ok, ok, I like it more now. Still not something I will wear much, but I give it points for encapsulating its description well.

*Second edit*

Yergh. After a little while, this is all weird green bread on me. Do not like. :(

Edited by MiasmaResonance

In the bottle, I get warm tea and buttered something, not quite a baked or toasty note but there's definitely bread involved. Wet, it smells just like a sugar-butter sandwich tastes. White bread, heavily buttered, generous sprinkle of sugar, with milky tea in the background. It doesn't change much with wear, but the tea amps a bit and it goes creamier. This is an all time favorite and my go-to daily scent.

I thought I’d like this because I expected it to be more of a toasty, nutty, wheat-bready smell, but it smelled just vile to me: a weird, sickly sweet, strong mixture of baby powder and fake buttered popcorn. Just awful. Hours later, it dries down to something much nicer, with gentle vanilla and sugar notes, but I don’t think I could handle going through the earlier stages of reeking like an accident at the movie theater concession stand just to get to that softer base note. I don’t smell bread in this at all, which I think would have made the butter smell more acceptable. I don't get anise or lemon from this at all, just sickly strong butter and powder.

As much as I LOVE the smell of this in the Imp and whilst its wet, it dries and goes horribly wrong.

It truly reminds me of my mothers homemade bread and butter pudding whilst wet but when dry, a strange soapy smell comes out of hiding and ruins it. I tried to leave it for a few hours but had to go wash it off.

Butter - behave!

Imp: Toasted bread with weak tea.

Wet: Buttered toast, weak tea and celery (butter notes do that to me).

Dry: Smells just like freshly toasted bread with anise tea. Interesting smell but not really something I want to wear.

In the vial, this reminds me of when you cream butter and sugar together for cookies. Kind of on the light side too. It doesn't really change that much on my skin, except I do detect a bit of breadiness now. While this isn't an offensive scent, I would never consider buying a bottle of this. I'd maybe wear it to bed on a cool evening but that's about it.

Preconceived Notions: I've been under the impression that this would be a great scent for me for a long time. I'm a foodie, and a tea admirer.

In the imp: Bitter bread, and distinct tea. Not particularly attractive.

Wet: A gentler bread smell and watered down tea. I get the sugar, too. If I concentrate, I detect butter, too! This is completely "as-advertised" at this stage. Still not attractive, though

Dry: It stays the same. It's totally bread - specifically the crusts, a cup of thin tea, and butter.

This is a "genre" scent to me. It's exactly what it claims to be; it's foody and distinct, only mildly sweet, and pretty authentic. It's not feminine or masculine to me. Its throw is weak. Though there's nothing overtly wrong with Bread-And-Butterfly, it isn't rising above being a novelty scent for me.

Rating: For a scent I figured I'd enjoy, I just don't want to smell like this. 2/5

True to its description, but just not a good skin scent for me.

Oh my- I really do like this. :) Nomnom. Even though the li'l jaunt it took me on worried me, we eventually ended up at bready goodness.

When I first cracked the imp, I got a sweet, bready scent with a little spice behind it. Kinda like a spiced brioche or challah- definitely something with some egginess and depth... but with a lot more sugar. The moment I put it on my skin, however, it was almost as if someone went and dumped a cup of ground black pepper right on top. Black pepper and an almost tannin-like, burnt bitterness. After the initial, spicy-bitter punch, there's also a soapy floral that joins the party... I got very worried. It all started out so well! Almost every BPAL I've tried is a morpher, so I waited it out because the breadiness was just so pleasant.

After a short while, the pepper finally toned down and hid out waaay out in the background, acting more like a pinch of very dry cinnamon.. or maybe even amber? I'm unsure. The sweetness, as well, gets pushed down a few notches, but is still there on the edge keeping this from becoming too savory. I would say it has a faint butteriness to it, but more baked in than slathered on. Which is good, cause usually, butter scents turn into that fake movie theater popcorn stuff.

What gets left, after all the notes are done shuffling around and switching places, is a perfectly lovely, warm, slice of mildly sweet bread with a sprinkling of spiced sugar on top. It also has an odd clean factor to it- maybe some bubbles from that soapy floral stuck around. :lol:

I'm sooooo happy this one actually works well with my chemistry, as most things that sound as perfect and up my alley, never truly are once they touch my skin. I need some time to properly huff this one **snuffles her arms as she types** but I do think it just might be bottle worthy. :D

ETA: I've found that if I put more than just a teeny bit on, the "iffy" phase lasts a lot longer. The cleanliness I mentioned turns to full blown fabric softener. So, it's like lightly spiced and sugared bread, that's been left in your pocket and gone through the wash. Heh.

Edited by beturtlement

By itself I found Bread and Butterfly to be a very strong anise sort of scent with a sort of crumpety undertone, kinda like if someone took a great handful of licorice and smushed it into buttered crumpets.

BUT THEN I layered it beneath a honey perfume I had lying around and now it's beautifully buttered toast drizzled with honey and served with a side of milky tea.

So now I'm in love. :D

I reallllly wanted to love Bread and Butterfly, but I just can't get into it.

It starts off like a sweet, wet dough- like it's still sticky and rising in it's pan. I do smell the milkiness and tea, but after awhile it just turns into a powdery, indistinct grandma kinda smell. Not that it's completely bad or anything, it's just not something wearable to me. The tea hangs on pretty well which is something I wanted desperately, but once that powder scent kicks in I lose the love. It's funny, because I feel like this walks the line of foody/not foody at all.

I will keep the imp, though. It's fun before dry down and hard not to like the idea of Bread and Butterfly.

In the imp: Toast and anise.

Wet: Toast with very anisey tea. Definitely getting some sugar too. Wowsers!

Dry: Toast and very sweet anise. This isn't a scent I'd usually go for - I abhor anise - but this scent is so very relevant to me (I live off toast and cups of tea) that I find myself wanting a bottle anyway.

Bread and Butter-fly smells like freshly cooked toast and melted golden butter on me. I don't get much tea from it ... just lots of toast and butter. It doesn't really change over time either. It's very true to its description, but its not something that I can imagine wearing everyday. People who like foodie blends will probably enjoy this one too :smile:

Now this is amazing!

Fell in love with it from the moment it hit my skin.

This is such a beautiful toasted caramel scent, with a gentle tea fragrance in the back ground.

When first on the skin, it genuinely smells like all the scents listed... sugared bread, tea, cream <3 totally my dream fragrance.

It goes through this weird lemony phase, after a while, possibly an Earl Grey tea scent. I usually hate lemon in any form, and I amp it like crazy, but this isn't so bad. Plus it goes back to normal within about 15 minutes :wub2:

One of the best bpals I've ever tried!

Easy 5/5 :joy:

Imp: Sweet, yeasty, creamy. Smells like a slightly off tea party, but in such a good way.

Wet: It smells like a little buttered white cake drowning in cream and sugar and tea.

Dry: It gets a little warmer, a little darker. Brown bread, warm, caramelized sugar, black tea with just a hint of cream, and everything is slathered in butter. Toasty and yummy.

Imp: ... Yeasty toast, slightly sour milk (yogurt?), a tiny bit of astringent tea, and lots of vanilla sugar! Smells good enough to drink.

Wet: Nuts! Nuts and graaains! And... coffee, almost? I smell plain white sugar, nuts, grain, milk, a splash of tea, and somehow the overall effect is really similar to a really yummy latte (weirdly). Oh, and anise or fennel, sweet and herbal and lovely.

Dry: A soft, sugared, milky tea with strong anise and nut overtones. Oh man, I didn't expect to like this, but it's like a cross between Antikythera Mechanism and White Rabbit. :heart: I'll surely use up my imp!

Edited by WidgetAlley

Imp from the lab... This scent was different and unique to say the least. I've never smelled anything like this. For me, it is a novelty scent, although I don't love it, it is interesting enough to keep to smell on occasion. Not something I would want to smell like on a regular basis. Seems more of a comfort scent.

Wet-I smell creamy buttery, play dough like bread and tea wet with licorice/anise. I don't like licorice so that may be why I don't like this scent as much and the play dough like scent didn't do much for me either. On my skin it smells pretty much the same as wet, just more subdued- it is a fairly strong scent to me.

Wet: Butter and... soap and plastic? I am not happy. :lol:

Dry: VERY strong buttery... plastic. Get this off of me!

1/5

A bit spicy and creamy at first. It kind of reminds me of Asp Viper at this point, only slightly bready and missing that 'oomph' of the Snake Oil. Dries down quite differently, but still nice. A comforting, sweet creamy blend, kind of like bread pudding with something a bit perfumey added. It kind of reminds me of the Sweet Rosalamundes Rice Pudding of this years yules, only it's not the rice grain, but a wheat grain, a bit like Dana O'Shea as well. Very comforting, slightly foody and quite pretty. I'll enjoy my imp and hope another one comes my way...

I give up trying to write a good review of Bread-and-Butter-Fly. It is clearly not going to happen. -_-

In short, I really want to like it, and then I almost DO like it, and then plastic. The end.

This is one I really wanted to like - but even just sniffing the imp it smells awful to me - way too sweet, and it's possibly the bread, but there's something unpleasant in there.

My feelings about it didn't change when I put it on - fresh, it smells pretty much like the imp.

It improved after an hour or two as it got fainter, but it was still so sickly to me, and eventually I washed it off.

I love the idea of it (much like I love the Bread-and-Butterflies in Alice) but in practice it's definitely not something I want on me. Overpoweringly sweet, I don't get any tea from it, and sadly it's just not for me.

:drools:

In the imp, this is both sweet and buttery. The butter mostly disappears on my skin. This isn't so much bread as it is a sweet, dry baked good. A scone dusted with powdered sugar perhaps. And the sweet, sharp pleasant scent that can only be strongly brewed black tea. Wonderful. Definitely worth a bottle.