Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Christi

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

Bread, lightly buttered, with weak tea, cream, and a lump of white sugar.

Bread-and-Butterfly

This does smells grainy-toasty to me, and a bit spiced. Sweet-spicy -- there could be cardamom? Maybe anise? Yes, there's definitely a licoricey anise in this. It's not overly sweet, and actually tends more to the spicy side, but I do get sugary-creamy whiffs from time to time. I don't think it's very wearable, but it's definitely interesting!

Butter, toasted bread, and tea. This should be my dream scent, and it is, for about the first ten seconds. Then it gets cloying, much as I suppose one would feel after sitting around eating nothing but crumpets with sugary spread and drinking weak tea loaded with cream. I guess I am simply not as much of a glutton for it as I'd thought...Perhaps luckily for me, it fades pretty quickly.

Strange. Toasted rye wholegrain bread, black tea leaf, salty butter with heavy double cream and a pouf of sugar. I totally get marble or wholegrain rye out of this instead of sweet baked bread. Very interesting. Not something I really want to smell like, but interesting.

This is a really interesting blend. At first I got a light tea scent with lots of cream. Not exactly foody, but not perfumey, either. I suppose it smells buttery, but not LIKE butter, if that makes sense. Then, after a bit, baby powder takes over. I am so not a powder fan, so at that point I had dismissed it. However, the powder scent fades after maybe an hour, and then I mainly get a grainy smell with vanilla and a touch of tea. This phase is really mellow and nice, but I don't know if it's worth sitting through the powder phase to get to it.

It's a really, really interesting blend, which is the only reason it was on my wishlist to begin with. I'm glad to have tried it, and it's certainly not unpleasant, but I'm afraid it's not really me.

In bottle/imp: Powdery vanilla butter with a hint of bread and maple syrup in the background.

Immediately on skin: This smells almost plastic-y on me. Initially, I get a waft of maple syrup or caramel, followed by not-very-realistic-smelling bread and butter with a very plastic-y sweetness. This almost smells like it could be one of those plastic toys I had as a kid; they looked like the food, and they tried very hard to smell just like it (in this case, maybe thick rolls covered in brown sugar glaze and nuts), but you always got mostly just a big whiff of plastic from them.

After a little while: This starts smelling a lot creamier and sweeter, and less plastic-y, for sure. It smells more like sweet buttered toast now, emphasis on the creamy butter, with some almost floral-like sweetness to it.

Overall Impressions: This scent is very interesting, but I don’t think it would work for me. The initial phase is very plastic-y, but that’s when it smells the most like bread. After a while it becomes much more of a perfume scent, and the plastic note fades, but the bread is almost gone too. I can tell that this could be a great comfort scent, though.

I didn't enjoy the smell of it from the vial and I don't enjoy the smell of it on my skin, sad to say. It's mostly cream on me with very little bread. It's not something I'd wear or even want in candle form, really. This one just didn't like me and I guess the feeling is mutual.

In the Imp: it's Bread, Butter & sugar.

Wet: The sugar becomes most prominent, and the butter recedes.

Dry: Turns into baby powder. Reminds me of Love's Baby Soft. I hate baby powder, but if that's your thing, you might love this.

On me, this had virtually NO throw at all. My nose has to be ON my wrist to smell it. It faded very quickly - it was literally gone in under an hour. My skin DOES tend to go through scents fairly quickly, but this is the quickest fade on a Bpal I've ever encountered. This one goes into the swaps pile for me.

Eep, my first review! I hope I'm doing this right...

In the imp: Whew, strong! Much stronger than I expected; it came in a package with three other imps and this was ALL I could smell when I opened the package, haha. It took me a while to place exactly what it smelled like at first, but I finally pinned it down: very strong buttery caramelly KETTLE CORN. :huh?: So odd!

Wet: When I first put it on, it went bizarrely double-sided--the too-sweet kettle corn smell stayed, but something else quite sharp and bitter made itself known, too, about halfway through a sniff. Tea, there you are! Sadly it was perfumey too-fresh black tea, no milk whatsoever, which wasn't what I was hoping for, but oh well. The two scents don't blend at first, but start to mingle as it dries.

Dry: Mellows quite a bit to be something kind of just sweetly buttery and wearable, rather than straight up yelling BUTTER CARAMEL!!! at me. I enjoy it once it gets to this stage, though it takes a while. It's kind sweet, warm, and golden, with hints of the tea wafting up. It stays pretty close to my skin--which in this case is a good thing, because otherwise it might be overpowering!

Overall, it's not something I would buy in a bottle, but I don't regret having an imp. On a cold winter day, especially, this might be nice and comforting to wear. :)

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Right at first, straight from the bottle, it truly smelled like bread and I thought "oh no". Almost at once, the bread note fades, and it becomes cream/butter and sugar almost entirely. I don't really get tea, which is a shame as I love tea scents. I would say that White Rabbit remains my ideal Tea Party scent, but this is nice and, in fact, would likely layer well with Rabbit.

In the imp: Bread, butter, sugar

On me: I just got sugared butter, which smells okay. It makes me want to sleep though, for some reason. Probably because it smells very cozy.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not normally a foody fan, but I do love the smell of bread, butter and sugar. So hopefully all three come together and make this a winner.

First sniff:

This is interesting. I'm getting toast (not regular, untoasted bread) and butter. But it's not the Lab's usual butter note to my nose. It doesn't have that heaviness to it. This is like melted butter rather than a big pat of solid butter. I'm also being reminded slightly of cinnamon toast, although there's no cinnamon to be found here. I think it may be because whenever I had cinnamon toast growing up, it was heavy on the margarine and always smelled more like sugar than cinnamon.

That hit of nostalgia is a good start for this one. :wub2:

Wet on skin:

Still that cinnamon(ish) toast smell. Lightly toasted bread, margarine and gentle sugar notes. I wasn't sure how it felt about wearing this as perfume at first (I think it would make an awesome room spray), but within minutes of putting it on, it won me over.

I was expecting fresh bread and butter with a layer of sugar (a favorite snack of mine when I was little, even though I wasn't much of a sweets eater), but I think that Bread-and-Butterfly's actual smell is more wearable for me and more likely to be something I reach for on a fairly regular basis.

Dry down:

A nice, light (cinnamon) sugar toast smell. It smells rich and yummy, but it's not overpowering in the slightest and somehow doesn't come across as truly foody. It just smells warm and comforting with a gentle sweetness to it.

The bottom line:

Not what I imagined, but I think that may actually work to my advantage here. I really like this and it's definitely something I'll reach for on a fairly regular basis, although it's not my "usual" kind of scent. I'm finding that a lot of the Mad Tea Party scents really work for me in spite of not being the type of scents I usually go for (March Hare and White Rabbit, for example; both are favorites of mine and neither is what I normally like). Bread-and-Butterfly is officially another one to add to that list.

Fresh from the mailbox:

From the bottle: spicy buttery scent

Wet: heavy butter, smells like biscuit and anise.(in dutch: beschuit met muisjes)

Dry: still smelling like bread and anise, maybe have to test it later when it has settled down.

Retest:

Smells much more creamy now, the strongest note is the bread with anise (but not heavy at all) then sweetness of tea, it's much better then when i just tested it, it's nice but i'm not convinced i will wear it a lot, plus my friend is stalking me to give it to her :lol:

Edited by Icekitten

Anise with a toasted note; somehow it reminds me of Le Pere Fouettard, even if they are extremely different in character; Le Pere Fouettard is bold and assertive, while Bread and Butterfly is very faint

This has got to be one of my favorites. The smell of bread and butter is so authentic, and you can practically smell individual grains of sugar. The weak tea and cream lend a very nice edge as well.

In the imp: Butter. There is some sweetness underneath it, but butter usually turns to nasty plastic on me, so I'm not expecting good things.

Wet: The butter fades a bit, and then the sugar and tea come out. Sugar is usually an excellent note for me, so this might be good.

Drydown: The tea actually comes out as the strongest note, oddly enough. Tea with cream, and buttered bread, but the butter behaves itself. It smells warm and delicious.

Later: I get occasional whiffs of plastic, but it never goes there entirely. It stays close to my skin, though.

Any scent with the word "butter" in it isn't likely to work for me, but I just had to try this one for the bread note and the concept. I really adore some of the Moonalisa scents with "bread" in the description and was eager to try one by BPAL.

I certainly get a lot of toast put of this one. It definitely smells like toasted bread to me. Unfortunately, I don't get much cream or sugar (which might have saved this scent for me), and instead get a "buttery" herbal scent that makes the whole thing so sharp, bitter, and unpleasant.

So not for me, but I do like the idea of bready scents!

I love that little tale from the book, also the drawing is very much what I see in my head when smelling this!

very light.. but pretty :wub:

there is def. some sugar in it and also butter, creamy and yellow :love:

it faints away super fast so no bottle for me though ;)

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

On: A very sweet, creamy, buttery scent.

4 hours in: Very sweet and creamy. I'm getting a bit of a bread note, too.

7 hours in: Sweet, sugary, and bready.

Overall: This is pretty and interesting, but I don't think it's something I would wear often.

In the Vial: I'm a little scared: butter and I do not get along. But, this blend sounded so neat I couldn't not try it. Okay, here goes. It definitely smells like toasted bread, lightly buttered. The "weak" tea is actually rather strong for me, and the sugar has a strange burnt quality to it.

Wet: It's all tea for a few seconds before the other notes remember they're supposed to be doing something, too. The cream finally makes an appearance, and starts fighting with the sugar for the spotlight. This is weird, but... the toast smells damp. That's the only way I can describe it.

Dry: Cream and sugar are still fighting it out, and tea has taken advantage of their distraction to take center stage again. The toast has fallen to the background. I'm surprised that the butter isn't throwing its weight around yet. This kind of reminds me of... sunscreen. It doesn't really smell like sunscreen, but it makes me think of it, and of being at the beach. Huh.

An Hour Later: This is weird. It doesn't smell foody in the least anymore. I still get the cream and sugar and maybe a little tea, but it smells like baby powder more than anything else. And it's still reminding me of sunscreen and the beach.

Overall: First of all, I cannot believe the butter note didn't go crazy on me. Secondly, this started out interesting but ended up very different and very strange. I wish this had worked on me, but I'll have to pass it on.

Edit because I can never write a review without making a typo, argh.

Edited by imaginepageant

In bottle: Tea and cream dominant. The next strongest scent appears to be anise, though that’s not listed, so I’m not sure where that’s coming from, although it may be me parsing the bread into components, since the anise scent appears to add up with some softer notes to almost make bread. I’m guessing it’s an accord. The sugar is folded into the tea, making it slightly sweeter. Wet: Pretty much as in the bottle. The tea and anise are about even now, the rest is a bit softer. It’s nice and pleasantly delicate, but hasn’t much throw. Dry: lovely cream, sugar and a hint of tea on the dry down. Alas, my skin rather eats it, but it’s quite pretty.

This is an odd scent. It seems like anise is the strongest note on me, backed up by buttered toast.

I might like it better without the anise scent, but as it is, this is a no go on me. When I sniff it, all I can think of is those little bowls of fennel they have sitting out by the entrance of Indian restaurants. It smells like a toasty version of that.

This reminded me of Cockaigne at first, in the vial. Once I put it on it started turning to powder. It seemed like it was going to be a less sweet version of Cockaigne and I was kind of hoping for that, but it's not meant to be. At first I smell...burnt...something...no idea. Then it all goes to powder. Boo :cry2: I was SO excited to try this one, but I see a lot of other folks love it so maybe it won't be too hard to find this one a home.

Oh dear. The poor bread-and-butterfly fell INTO the cup of tea, and then while it was splashing around trying not to drown, that mean old March Hare dumped a whole bag of sugar on top of it! Poor thing!

Seriously though, from this I get a wet bread smell with a lot (LOT) of sugar. It's not bad, just....odd. It dries down into a nice creamy, musky scent though, so I'm happy. :D

Edited to fix a typo.

Edited by protoomega

Cinnamon bread is right, but not in a pleasant way. No cream, no tea, and most definitely no sugar.

It smelled so tasty in the bottle too. Just like delicious buttery baked bread...

This scent has been one of the least successful for me personally but I am also having a bit of a wonky skin chemistry day - I like sugar and I especially like tea so after reading the other reviews I will give this one a second and maybe a third try and hope for the best!