Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
midnight_aeval

Mahogany Hall Atmosphere Spray

MAHOGANY HALL
Polished mahogany and teakwood and swirls of cigar smoke, with deep patchouli, tonka, cardamom, Spanish moss, and bourbon vanilla.

I got a bottle of this some time ago at the last trunk show. I don't remember if all the ones that were released today were available, but this one blew my mind and senses! I'm a cardamom lover, and this room spray does not disappoint. Too often I find cardamom as a mere afterthought in scents, but to me this one is pretty cardamom-dominant. It also smells of sweet wood - it invokes an exotic atmosphere. I don't get much smoke or moss, but I'm sure those notes accent the whole scent and is incredibly well blended. It's my FAVORITE spray to date, even beating out Sugar Skull & Gooey Pillowcase (gasp!). Just 3 light squirts in my bedroom scents almost our entire home (1500 sq ft), so it's very strong and an incredible value!

If this was a perfume oil, it would rival my top faves, I just can't find the words to express how great this spray it!

When I first read the description for this spray, I thought it might be too hard, boozy or smokey for me to enjoy as a room scent, but I'm happy to say it was nothing like I expected. The overall effect is a super sophisticated wood scent with luscious spice and a dash of bourbon vanilla to smooth it out. This smell is *sexy*, and I plan on never running out. It's THAT awesome.

My nose is still on the mend from a terrible head cold this week, but I am gradually getting my sense of smell back and wanted to dig into trying all my new Trading Post loot from my recent order.

Mahogany Hall is amazing. It's a heavier scent, but very seductive. Spicy wood and bourbon vanilla is what my nose discerns from this blend. The smoke is very light and really adds to the overall effect of the spray. I actually cannot smell the patchouli in this. And the Cardamom is amazing when blended with the wood & moss notes.

I get whiffs of the slight sweetness of the vanilla, hints of cigar smoke and glorious patchouli and cardamom. This stuff is A.MAZ.ING! :wub2:

Edited by Dark Alice

Review: A dark melange of wood on first sniff with some patchouli, but the sweet cardamom rich undertone soon comes out. I think I’d like a bit less patchouli, but it’s lovely and very much what I’d hoped for.

If Mahogany Hall was a perfume, I'd be slathering myself.

Its a warm, slightly dirty vanilla, with a wink and a kiss and a, "Come along, sugah," of cardamom spice.

I do declare, I like it ever so much.

Five stars. A+. Buying another bottle to store asap. :wub2:

This reminds me of Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge perfume oil (which I hate the smell of, so I didn't like this spray at first). I imagine that I get that impression from the teakwood and vanilla-y notes. The teak always smells dark and a bit bitter and powdery to me, and I get that strongly here as well. The vanilla notes are lovely and sweet, though, and I love the hints of earthy patchouli in this. I get a little bit of spice from the cardamom as well, but it's mostly woods & vanilla with hints of patchouli. It smells very powdery, warm, and a bit cloying to me sometimes. I think that it will be too heavy for me to use over the spring and summer.

Magohany Hall isn't a favorite for me (I just don't seem to like the teak note), but my husband loves this room scent and I can see it being very popular.

Edited by Little Bird

I get the mahogany and teak, and it smells like beautiful burnished wood. I get a hint of cigar smoke, but it deepens and adds to the woods. The patchouli and all the rest is so wonderfully blended that I can't distinguish them, and the vanilla adds a slight softness to it that keeps it from being harsh.

Buy it, you won't be sorry!

Finally a room spray that I can love and use to heal my heart, which broke when Dungeon was discontinued!

I get hints of Mahogany and Teak, along with lush musk, light smoke, and something vaguely fruity - almost like port. (I just looked, and find it weird that there's no wine in the description!)

I will need to order more of this. I just need to remember to spray it, and then LEAVE THE ROOM. Every time I use a room spray, I get it in my nose. :lol:

I'm getting spicy smoky wood, with a bit of cologne. This just isn't for me, sadly, and not what I want my room to smell like.

Edited by Venneh

This is actully my favorite room spray blend (besides Citadel Of Awesome that I can't find so it was moved to 2nd place). I agree about the fact that it would make a great perfume oil too. I am in heaven when I spray this. I was frimped a sprayer of this from Sunshinedaisybliss and I am eternally grateful because I may not have ordered this for myself. It is a blend of wood and vanilla. It is calming and sexy all in one spray. I spray my curtains with this and smell it way into the next day. What a wonderful scent to come home to. :wub:

I absolutely adore Mahogany Hall. I have several atmo sprays but I always reach for this one. It smells classy and sexy at the same time. It's somewhat a dark scent because of the wood and smoke but it's sweet as well. Truly amazing :luv2:

Why isn't there more love for this one?! I was never that fond of room scents, but something in that one catched my eye enough for me to get a bottle.

What's that you smell: A distinguished smoky, slightly woody blend, spiked up with cardamom and sweetened with tonka and vanilla. Oh wow.

Finals thoughts: You don't need much of this one to make your home smell luxurious. I wish there was a perfume oil with that scent. It's amazing!

Origin:

Bottle from the Trading Post.

Preconceived notions:

I've wanted to try this one since I first laid eyes on the description. I like or love every note listed here. I'm especially crazy for patchouli, mahogany, teak, cigar smoke and Spanish moss. But bourbon vanilla, tonka and cardamom are more than welcome in my scents any day. This is one of my most coveted atmo sprays, so I'm really hoping this lives up to the hype (both mine and other people's). I mean, who wouldn't want their house to smell like a high class whorehouse? :lol:

Sniffing from the bottle:

Sweet! I wasn't expecting quite so much vanilla on first sniff. I'm also getting some tonka. The woods and cigar smoke are definitely here, lending a dark, sophisticated background to the sweetness. I don't get any moss at this point. I like the smell of Mahogany Hall in the bottle, but I'm hoping the wood and cigar smoke come out more once I actually spray this, since I don't love it at this point.

Spritzed:

That's more like it. I still get plenty of rich bourbon vanilla (it's not candy vanilla, it's rich and sensual and entirely appropriate to the scent), but the deep, dark wood comes through loud and clear now. It's smooth, well-worn wood; very dark. It lends a nice depth and darkness to the vanilla. I also get a touch of aromatic cigar smoke, but it's light. I wouldn't call this a smoky scent by any means. The cigar smoke adds more of a tobacco smell to it, like a cigar shop (not at all like an ashtray).

The bottom line:

I really like this. It's definitely lived up to my expectations, although I was expecting a little less sweetness. This is a perfect bedroom scent. Rich and sensual. If this were a perfume, I'd slather myself in it and feel sexy (and not at all prostitute-like). :heart:

New Orleans is one of my favorite places and I love that I'm able to bring different aspects of the Big Easy into my home via the Trading Post. The gorgeous, rich woods dominate for the first few minutes, but when they settle into the background I notice the swirls of bourbon-vanilla sweetness and smoky, caramel-like tobacco, and something a little herbal, earthy and medicinal. It is a sexy, dark, lush scent that leans masculine, but the sweetness rounds it out and reminds you of what you came to Mahogany Hall to do. I adore it and I really appreciate that the proceeds support Habitat New Orleans. It'll be hard to keep myself from hoarding this.

I ordered this one on a hunch and boy was I right.

It's warm, smokey (but gorgeous cigar smoke-- I'm not a smoker and hate the smell of cigarette tobacco), and deep. It's clearly present but entirely unoffensive and becomes the background of a room like an atmo spray should.

I have a feeling that this will be my go-to in the fall/winter-- I also suspect that it will get even nicer after a few months' aging thanks to the patchouli and bourbon vanilla.

ETA: I've bumped my rating up a notch. After several hours it is even better than I thought it would be-- it's so rich and sexy. And it lasts forever, which is a huge bonus!

4.75/5

Edited by arrow

I keep this spray in my car because it's so grounding and soothing. To me it smells like dark wood, a hint of cologne, the feeling of old leather and cigar smoke. It's fantastic and although the sprays last a long time I might need another bottle because this is one I don't ever want to be without.

This *barely* leaked on its way to me so I could smell it before I ever sprayed it, and it smells almost *exactly* like Solstice Scent's Monster Mash - a smoky vanilla/mahogany with a vaguely spicy fruitiness on top. I almost thud.gifed when I smelled it, it's so good. wub2.gif The slight fruitiness seems to disappear once it's sprayed, though, and the cigar smoke and woods really come out. aroused.gif

This doesn't seem to exist anymore, but I got a tester of it with my last BPTP order.

I knew nothing about it going in; I was just all 'huh, wunner wut dis is' and sprayed. Now I am sad it has apparently been discontinued.

Anyway. First of all, like the other roomspray I have (Exotic Bazaar), this stuff is pretty durn strong. This isn't like Febreeze where you hose down the room with it and it's gone in ten minutes; this stays for hours...

Initially, it's mostly mahogany (it's a sweet, almost cognac-like note I've found in other things associated with 'mahogany') and some vanilla. All the other notes seem very background to me, though on the very tail-end I do get the patchouli. I am not a patch fan, AT ALL.. but this apparently only applies to wearing it. In the spray, it's actually quite nice, as it offsets the very sweet initial notes and keeps them from being too sticky.

I keep the tester in my office now. It seems like a very 'office' scent even if said office does not include a huge cherrywood desk and red leather chairs with brass studs.

This is awesome--warm, spicy woods and smooth vanilla. I almost thought there had to be tobacco in here and I see it's a cigar *smoke* note--it doesn't seem smoky, really, just very warm and rich. This is going to be very nice for winter evenings!

got this as a freebie in my etsy order- thanks, puddin'! :D

all of my atmosphere sprays are being tested on my stuffed animals so i can sniff them to my heart's content and not have to stick my nose up and sniff the air like a madwoman in order to give a proper review. :lol: so instead i am seen fanatically sniffing a giant stuffed blue narwhal... oh well.

first off, mahogany hall smells like something i have smelled before (not a bpal?) but i cannot put my finger (or nose) on it. maddening! the spanish moss is quite sharp, and mixes well with the strong patchouli. (it's a GREAT patchouli note, by the way.) there is a nose-tickling touch of cardamom and it all lays upon an opulent background of rich woods (think antikythera mechanism) and cigar smoke. it's REALLY nice. i would scent my bedroom with this for sure. if it was available, i would wear it as a perfume! YUM!

Strong expensive smelling woods with a bit of tobacco with sweet woods and warm vanilla. This smells great, but doesn't really match my decor. My house is more cosy, this is more sophisticated. I've used it in my car, though, and it seems more suited for there, or in my bedroom. I'd say it's more masculine than feminine. Warning though, I rubbed my eye after squirting this, and the burning was unbelievable, even with the minute amount that was sitting on the corner of my eye. I had to hold a wet cloth for about 10 minutes, and my eye was red for about an hour. Beautiful atomosphere spray though, I'm very happy with it and glad I got a bottle.

for those that love Mrs. Palmer's Establishment but are looking for more sweetness and don't love that much leather, this might be for you! Sweet patchouli with an undercurrent of subtle woods and spices. somehow much better than the listed notes suggest :wub:

I just noticed I'd never reviewed this. Mahogany Hall is my favorite GC atmosphere spray. It is mostly woods, moss, and patchouli rounded out by vanilla. Slightly sharp but sweetened by the vanilla, which isn't foodie at all. I do smell the cigar smoke but it's nothing at all like an ashtray. Overall, very rich but comfortable. It lasts for a long time. I get traces of a slightly powdery vanilla hours later.

I think it's a nice scent for bedrooms, living rooms, and offices. I keep a bottle next to my bed and another one in my office at work. Yesterday my co-worker got a whiff of it from down the hall (accidentally sprayed too much) and came to ask me what it was. She really liked it.

Mahogany, patchouli and vanilla.

This smells like sexy woods.

Woody, patchouli, sexy.

I think I actually need 4 oz of this.