Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ami226

Snake Oil Soap

SNAKE OIL SOAP
A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

The soap: absolutely smooth, sheer, silken lather enriched with milky kaolin and flecked with blackened vanilla bean.

Oh, wow!! I just got a new bar of Snake Oil soap hidden in with my Inquisition goodies and I hope that there is going to be a major release of the Trading Post soaps with an update soon!! Pictures below:

IMG_5139.jpg
IMG_5141.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg

First of all, the smell is amazing!! I opened up the package and put the bar on the ledge in my shower to await my next showering session. Anyways, every time I walk down the hallway or near the bathroom I can smell lovely Snake Oil wafting out the door. Sooooooooo good! :thud:

Compared to Snake Oil the perfume, it is almost exactly identical! There is a slight hint of a soap/clean smell, but since this is a bar of soap I am not surprised.

I haven't used it yet, but the smell is amazing! I am considering cutting it up into bits and distributing it around the house to make the place smell fantastic...

-EDIT- Well, I have used it now (lots) and I have to say that this soap is amazingly good! There are little bits in the soap that make it slightly (very slightly) scrubby. Also, the scent is strong enough, that it stays attached to my skin for quite awhile after showering! Normal amount of lather too. This Snake Oil is a bit different than the perfume, but it is amazing and definitely captures the same vanilla yumminess of the perfume!

The bar has managed to last me a bit since I put it away from my SO's eye line... My preciousssssssss! Edited by Catseyes
added description for the new line :)

I just used my bar of Snake Oil Soap by Villianess for the first time this afternoon. It is a firm bar with a light brown top and dark brown bottom. When I sliced into it I noticed that the dark brown was wrapped around a core of light brown for the bottom half. The scent is that of aged Snake Oil as it smells on my friend's skin (not the same scent as in the bottle.) My skin doesn't like the perfume oil for some reason and turns it into baby powder but on her it smells absolutely fantastic. I could get away with the previous incarnation of the soap creating a gorgeous scent without going to powdery route so I've had my fingers crossed for this! So far, so good. This too seems to be staying true to the dark rich spicy vanilla scent that I want from it. I'd classify the lather level as on the low side of normal for soap but there was plenty to use to get clean. The dark layer did seem to be staining the lather which looked a bit strange-almost like I was washing off after being VERY dirty. The scent is clinging gently to my skin. I didn't use any other products and my skin is feeling a bit dry after getting out of the shower. My skin tends to not need regular moisturizer but this may need a bit added to the routine. Luckily there's the bath-oil to maybe give a little moisturizing boost.

Snake Oil Soap - I LOVE THIS SOAP!!! If I could afford to, I'd use this soap and nothing but this soap forever. It is that good. It smells amazing. I love Snake Oil, but it turns slightly plasticky on my skin (but I still wear it because I love it, dammit!) but this soap smells like S.O. is supposed to smell -- it is so rich and sweet and vanilla-y and spicy and gorgeous. It has me convinced that I have to get a bottle of S.O. bath oil while I still can. The bar is so beautiful, too. It's dark brown on the outside, but when you cut into it, the bottom 3/4 or so of the center is a rich, golden brown with little black flecks. It looks almost like a truffle. It's just so pretty. The presentation definitely stands up to the gorgeousness of the scent. I'm buying another bar RIGHT NOW.

I'll echo some of the previous sentiment - this is gorgeous smelling soap. The bar itself smells spicy and sharp - a lot like "fresh" Snake Oil perfume. In use, it tempers almost immediately to that wonderful, smooth "aged" smell, where the vanilla is more assertive and mellows the other spices into a gorgeous blend. On dry-down, the smell is nice - not too strong, but definitely lingering. I'll have to stock up on these :wub2:

What everyone else said!! :) This is luscious and comforting, but sexy at the same time! I'd use it all the time if I could afford to! Just ordered another one so I have 2 stashed and one in use. Can't wait to try it with the bath oil I just ordered too - tomorrow is the last day, so glad I checked the BPTP site today.

this is very similar in scent to the earlier incarnation of BPTP SO soap with the brown gunkiness of villainess' goop. i'm a huge fan of villainess soaps, that's all i've used in the shower for years and i usually have a bar going at the sink, too, so i'm pretty biased in a review of the actual soap. the scent, however, is, as you'd expect, snake oil under a thick scent layer of sweet soapiness. it leaves a reasonably strong scent in the air in the bathroom and, as per most villainess soaps, a lesser scent on the skin, which is great if you want to wear something other than SO as your perfume for the day. so far, it's layered seamlessly with mme. moriarty, snake charmer, black lace/black death, and, of course, womb furie and SO. like some of the other dark-coloured villainess soaps, this leaves great swathes of colour on the skin, which could terrify some, but a good rub brings up the white lather and this doesn't stain either the skin or the shower curtain. (the one problem with these soaps is that the fantastic emollient content gunks up the shower something fierce; these soaps aren't for those who fear cleaning the tub!)

i will say that the price is prohibitive enough that the mini hoard i have will likely be the last i purchase, especially since villainess has so many kick-ass proprietary scents for a dear, though less exorbitant, price, but it's great fun and i'm super glad to have another shot at snake oil suds. i really enjoy that shot of BPAL in the morning and the silk road/BPTP soaps i hoarded lost their scent before i got around to using them up. great partnership between BPAL/BPTP and villainess. *thumbs up*

I have an odd relationship with Snake Oil. I like the way that Snake Oils smells in the bottle and on other people (and I can wear and love a lot of Snake Oil blends like Boomslang), but plain ole Snake Oil smells like greasy, dirty hair covered up with baby powder on my skin. That said, I also love this soap, because it smells like in-the-bottle Snake Oil and my skin chemistry doesn't get a chance to ruin it, lol.

I didn't care for the Silk Road Trading Co soaps (I found them very drying and they didn't hold scent well at all), but I'm really loving the Villainess soaps. This very obviously smells like Snake Oil, and it has *a lot* of fragrance to it. I love the fudgey dark chocolate topped with cream look of the bar as well. A lot of bar soaps are way too drying for me, but this one wasn't so bad (made my legs a little itchy after the bath, but some lotion quickly fixed that, and I would have put on lotion anyhow). The soap feels really creamy and has great lather, and the scent is just so amazing and sensual <3. The scent doesn't linger on my skin at all, but it's very strong while lathering up. It definitely made me want to get out of the bath and slather on some Boomslang.

All in all, I'd definitely repurchase this, and I think it's a great, romantic sort of scent for the shower.

It's been a while since I've used a soap from Villainess and I remember now why I wasn't a big fan. It's just too drying for my skin. But, and it's a big but, I'll definitely continue using (and buying!) this one because it smells absolutely amazing! Starting the day with Snake Oil soap, followed by Snake Oil Bath Oil and Snake Oil perfume oil is just heavenly :luv2:

This soap is pretty amazing cause I'm loving the smell. Its like a soft snake oil and packs a whole bunch of fragrance goodness. I enjoy slathering the brown soap all over. Not too drying for me, just nice. :wub2:

When I unwrapped my decanted slice of this, I just about swooned. Ok, maybe I did a little. And then I got flustered opening it because I really wanted to use it and it was really well packaged in saran wrap.

This soap has the delightfully slippery (and perfect for leg-shaving) texture of Villainess soaps, and smells strongly of Snake Oil. I mean. . . it's basically perfection. I'm ecstatic. It does come out a little dark and I had to rinse a spot on the wall of my tub where some soap-juice went, but I kind of like that. For some reason it seems more decadent because I can see it. It's like washing in liquid S.O. :wub2:

I am just about the happiest that BPAL and Villainess are making soap together. I loved the smell of the previous BPAL soaps but not the texture, and I love the texture of Villainess soaps but haven't found a scent I really like yet. Oh, joy!

This is amazing. Smells like aged Snake Oil, goes on silky smooth, absolutely wonderful. Definitely getting a full bar.

This is a lovely Snake Oil scented soap. Rich and decadent, and more 'snakey', than say the bath oil. It's more true to actual Snake Oil, in other words. At first, I didn't get much lather, but after a few swipes, it appeared. The lather is quite brown, but it doesn't bother me, as it rinses away cleanly. Not a drying soap at all, very nice. LOVE!!

On an aside note, my mom makes soap (not from bpal oils, but rather essential oils). She tells me she need 15 mls of essential oil for a six pound batch of soap. So not sure if Villainess soap is the same, but if so, that's a lot of Snake Oil per batch!!

This soap is wonderful. The bar looks almost like an interpretation of a really strong cappuccino, dark, coffee brown on the bottom and creamy on the top. My whole bathroom smells *wonderful*, like spicy, sugary vanilla. The suds are rich but not super foamy. The bar itself is fairly silky with the texture of most soaps that add clay, a bit of body to it.

The scent is very true to SO in the bottle, and it lingers just a bit on the skin afterward. It hasn't *quite* replaced my adoration of the Shub soap, but it's a close, close second!

Oof. I guess I'm going to be the dissenting voice in this thread. Snake Oil the perfume is ~meh~. I want to love it and I've had an imp of the stuff for ages that I test every now and again to see if it's hit the magic age, but alas, no joy.

So if I'm only ~meh~ about the perfume, why did I buy the soap? Well, I love scented soaps and I'm willing to give most things a try. Snake Oil soap was almost total fail, unfortunately. Whatever coloring is used in the soap stained my skin and tub a scummy brown. The scent, on me, was awful. It was an all around unpleasant experience.

Now, the one bright spot is that the soap smells FANTASTIC in the bathroom. So, I'm not going to use it on me, but I am going to use it in sachets. Silver lining and all that. :)

This has a lovely scent in the shower, very true to Snake Oil perfume. It doesn't linger for long though and is more or less undetectable once I've dried off. This is not so bad though as it least it means I can enjoy it in the shower without worrying about it clashing with my perfume for the day.

I've been into BPAL for, like, six years now and have never sniffed Snake Oil. I don't think I've ever received an imp of it. (Snake Charmer, on the other hand, I have six bottles of that.) So I thought I'd give the soap version a try, since I love Villainess soaps.

Holy crow, I am DRENCHED in awesomeness! The soap was super smooth; it doesn't lather like some of the other Villainess bars I've tried but that's not a big deal. Having never tried Snake Oil before this, I think I'm now a fan. Will have to try out some of the other BPTP soaps.

Edited by bat