Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
myth

Clockwork Couture: Male

Leather, vanilla-infused sandalwood, East Indian patchouli, bitter clove, galbanum, and iron filings.

Bottle: Male. Vanilla and Lavender leather Male.
Wet on Me: I get faint whispers of the clove now but still this lovely vanilla and lavender on leather. Such a man scent. LOVING!
Drying Down: This gets better and better as it dries. Spicy lavender Leather. with now faint traces of the vanilla sandalwood. Still smelling like man. All Man. I would imagine that James West would wear this!
Dry: FAB U LOUS! This mellowedd and merged into this lovely all male all old west male scent. My nose is now attached to my wrist! KEEPER! Beth does the BEST leather scents!

:wub: Loving this blend. I get clove and leather. The clove sort of scared me in the beginning, but the leather comes out so beautifully in the end on my skin. Those are really the only two notes I get from this. This is the yummy leather that I love (like in Loviatar :D ). I will have to get another bottle of this before it goes away for good :( .

In the bottle: Cloves, but more like the clove oil you'd use for a toothache or something than whole cloves you might have in your kitchen (if it's better stocked than mine). Chemical hint that will morph into leather once it gets on my skin.

Wet: A leather-spice men's cologne, but there's something sweetening it up just a tiny bit.

Dry down: It seems like this has the potential to fall over into Play-doh, but stays just on the good smelling side by not going all the way there.

Dry: The threat of Play-doh goes away, and I'm left with this awesome meld of leather, sandalwood, and clove. I might get hints of the iron filings, but if so, it plays peek-a-boo, so I'm not sure if it's just my imagination.

Overall: I'm still not entirely sure what I expected of CC:Male, but I don't think I would have predicted what I got. Still, I like it. Not as much a Female, but I like it. And I definitely want to try layering them.

In the bottle: The patchouli, clove, and sandalwood are most apparent (that and I'm not sure what galbanum smells like - it could be there too). It's deep, a bit exotic, and very masculine.

Wet on skin: The patchouli, clove, and vanilla-infused sandalwood are still very apparent. The leather is making its way to the forefront as well.

Drydown: For some reason this brings to mind Indiana Jones. It's something I'd imagine him wearing. I can see that scene in the desert where he gets a plane ride from a "friend" for one reason or another. (Don't remember which movie - shame on me!)

Dry: It smells divine - masculine and strong. The throw is pretty good. There's only a slight metallic tang from the iron filings. The leather pops out more, but it's like it's soaked up the scent of the sandalwood, patchouli, and clove - so it's more like you're smelling a fragrant piece of leather.

Overall: I love this blend - and so glad to have them both. I really want to layer the Male and Female scent. I also really want to grab my BF and put this on him - but he doesn't wear scents. :cry2:

at first the clove reminded me of ecstasy of passion but that passed quickly (in a mini-sec). now this smells very much like cologne and very masculine.

The notes are right, but when freshly applied, this pulls heavy baby powder on me. Give it a few minutes and it turns to a very autumnal/wintery holiday-appropriate spicy cinnamon scent, which is pleasant. A minute or two after that, it goes back to smelling like baby powder. Letting it mature yields a gentlemanly scent, a bit like a more bookish than foppish, less floral and citrusy version of Dorian.

It's a bit strange that I would get such a powdery smell out of it -- I usually amp leather and patchouli and wear them well. It is promising, but I hate the smell of baby powder, so I think I might let this one age a bit and see what happens.

(Note to myself: I got a sniffie of this and there was barely any oil for a skin test.)

Sniffed: Leather and sandalwood, maybe a whiff of clove and metallics.

On skin: Leather, sandalwood and metallics, dry and a bit inorganic. Simple, straightforward and no-nonsense, but a really nice blend of organic and metallic as befits a steampunk theme. A light and clean masculine scent: a proper neo-Victorian gentleman with just a whiff of steampunkish inorganicity about him. Colour impression is old ivory, off-white and a bit browned with age.

Verdict: A bit too woody and metallic for me, but it's a great masculine scent and I would LOVE to smell this on a man!

In the Imp (ITI): That's rice, actually. The clove coupled with the patchouli and galbanum provide softness and spice to the metal aspects of the iron.

Wet: Delicious clove rubbed over brown leather. The notes above are infused with patchouli and sandalwood. Ooh, this is bad. I may need a bottle of this.

Dry: It's much more of a drier spice after it's had time to settle. Clove and patchouli are clearly dominant, with sandalwood and hints of leather bring up the bottom notes. I'd consider tracking down a bottle of it.

I don't immediately get a "male" vibe in the bottle. I get leather and more leather, a dry, soft leather. The clove blooms immediately on my skin and I can smell the iron/rust that's similar to Rivet.Goth, but the rusty metal is the only thing they have in common. This has more depth and complexity. I find it to be more "masculine" on my skin, but is wearable on any gender. The iron gives it a slightly aquatic tone but the clove really shines along with the leather. Very steampunky in feel. I get little patchouli if at all and the sandalwood hovers beneath the clove and leather providing a hint of dryness. I miss a bit of sweetness with this and I think it would be really amazing layered with vanilla/tonka perhaps, but then I think everything needs vanilla! So glad I have a bottle of this!

In the bottle this smells really spicy. The decant I had previously smelled a little more leathery in the bottle.

Wet: mostly spicy clove, with just a little patchouli or sandalwood or both, with just a hint of the iron. A nice scent, but not really what I expected.

Dry: Ah, there, the leather is coming out a little. Good. Spicy clove-leather.

Overall, I like this, but it sits really close to the skin. I can't even smell it as I'm typing this the way I can with some scents - I have to get close to my wrist to smell it at all.