Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stellans

Candles Moon

Moonlight shining on the Quickening Tree, the heat and wax of sacred candles, the milk of ewes, Brigid's blackberry, the sting of keening wind, and the last flutter of the Cailleach's winter snow.

ohhh this should be so good. but that bpal milk note is all i smell, with maybe a touch of blackberry. where is my yummy candlewax? all i smell is sour milk and mint. i don't think i can wear this one at all. :(

This scent is both smokey and sweet with a touch of an ozone tang mingling with the faintest whiff of blackberries.There is a sharp green note lurking in the background of everything that surfaces every now and again. All of this is thoroughly intermingled with a faint smattering of the snow note that is familiar to many of the winter blends. This would be soooo awesome as an atmo spray!

This was the first Lunacy I ever tried (the 2010 version), and I realized I forgot to review it.

It is a very comforting and wintry scent. The milk and blackberries are the strongest, with the chill of the snow in the background. I'm not getting a ton of the candle wax, but I'm sure that's what's making it so snuggly.

Whenever I wear this I always get surprised at how much I actually love it.

If you enjoy sweet winter scents or the lab's milk or blackberry notes, you might want to try this!

I totally fell for this description! Milk and winter snow are also notes I usually enjoy, so I had to hunt down a bottle and try this one out. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. There is an incense note, I assume from the "sacred candles" that doesn't work for me (as most incense notes do not) and combined with the blackberry ends up seeming like incensed (pun intended) blackberries on me. As other reviewers have noted, this is also a very strong scent, it made me a little light headed!

SO BEAUTIFUL!! To me it's a cousin to Snow White, but a blackberry/beeswax version of it. The milk note is a warm sweet milk, melding perfectly with the blackberries. The beeswax is that raw honey beeswax, it lends a skin scent warmth to it. The whiff of "cool" is the same as in Snow White. All this together = A total win!

Edited by growwild

Wet: Tangy fresh blackberry - not the more jammy, syrupy blackberry note I am used to from the Lab. The goat's milk adds more tang There's something green in there, and a cold note that's almost minty

Dry: The goats milk comes to the forefront and drowns out that beautiful blackberry. Sadly, I don't love it. Glad to have tried it though.

I am a sucker for just about any scent with candles or the like in the description, so this was almost certain to make me happy. On my skin I get the lovely BPAL beeswax/flame note, a creaminess that must be ewe's milk but doesn't go into that sour milk territory, a tiny bit of the snow note and a tiny bit of blackberry. I don't know if it lasts long enough that I will need to seek out a bottle - I wish it were as strong on me as on some of the other reviewers. But I am delighted to have the decant.

Wet in the bottle this is tart blackberry.

Wet on skin this is literally the phrase "heat and wax of scared candles". it's instantly Bengal (GC) - esq, but doesn't stay that way.

Quickly there's something sharp and stinging to me that pops out. Green, Herbal, (Ozone? That one wafts randomly). I don't get the blackberries I was hoping for, I feel like this is more blackberry leaves.

Ignoring individual scents I just decide to embrace the overall image. It's perfectly as described. This is a slightly dark rite with a pure undertone. Crisp dark winter depression being thwarted by warm candles and a beckoning begging to bring Imbolc. Just the faintest whisps of the green of spring combating the ever-pressing winter. All underlined by the safety of the candles.

Random, but it's an entire scene. Dissecting each scent almost feels wrong for this one. There's an interesting feeling this one envokes. The feeling of being in the darkness and danger, but someone you love and trust holding your hand. That someone just smells like cinnamon wax. XD

It's a very interesting scent. Which is why I love BPAL! The cinnamon wax part is really lovely actually, almost honey-esq on me. But then while sniffing and enjoying I'm whapped in the face by a slash of ozone-y wind and gag a little. lol.

Very worth the sniff though! Grateful I was able to get a sample of this one to try.

In the decant: The snow note stands out the most to me, followed by the milk, and just a tinge of blackberry and candle smoke. The snow note combined with the berry makes me think of Skadi.

Wet: I’m getting the ozonic, pine-y snow, milk, a bit of blackberry, and the warmth of the candle wax and smoke. As it sits on my skin, the milk note gains strength, and as the scent begins its drydown, the slightly smoky candle wax becomes more prominent as well.

Dry: Bright, slushy snow, milk, and candle wax and smoke with just a hint of blackberry.

After a while, it kind of smells like Cap’n Crunch on me thanks to the blackberry combining with the warm milk. But it’s like… a more sophisticated Cap’n Crunch. :P But I only get that vibe from it when sniffing up close.

Verdict: This is like Skadi’s young sister. I like Skadi more, but this is nice, and I’m really glad I got to try it! :)

in the imp: at first, cat pee; second sniff, sweet berry, a little wax, and something else, perhaps it's the stinging wind?

wet: what smells like cat pee? it's a sour, sharp smell. is that sheep's milk? i could see it. waxy, sour milk right now, not great.

dry: sour, musky

In the words of Mary Berry, "it's not for me."

First Sniff: Ammonia and then snowdrops.

Initial Wet Application: This is very light. It’s very gentle and smells like faint clean cotton.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): This goes between ammonia which reminds me of urine and a faint, fake snow smell. I obviously don’t care for the acridness. There’s a tiny bit of milk hiding underneath all of this, but it’s not enough to keep this creamy unfortunately. I think I can also detect beeswax, but it’s faint.

My Reaction: I guess the acrid smell is from the blackberry not working well on my skin with the snow. I wanted to like this, for the association and the light snow, but I don’t like the flipside with the ammonia.

Rating: 2

In the decant: A faint sweetness that might be... just about anything. 

On my skin:

Wet, the wax note does start to come out, along with some faint blackberry. As it dries, the blackberry fades back again, and the wax becomes almost smoky. I also pick upon the milk note, which goes a bit sour on my skin. Eventually, the milk does fade -- and the blackberry does too -- and it's mostly just soft beeswax on my skin.  

Waxy and fruity, no question! I'm picking up both the candlewax and the blackberry, but then the milk note emerged on my skin like gangbusters. I was testing this blindly from my collection and forgot there was milk in it, so I thought I was going crazy at how much this smelled like Milk Moon 2020 to me. But nope, that's indeed present and accounted for! If that one worked for you, Candles Moon is a fruity variation of that, where Milk Moon was more floral. Don't be afraid of smokiness here, this is a smoke-free zone. Not very stinging or chilly to me, this is mostly about the candle, the milk, and the fruit these days.

A loving airkiss to my bottle as it departs. 

I would wear this while: preparing some midnight oblations to a fertility goddess.

I love this scent. It's like a far more chill cousin of Lightning Strikes Literature. If LSL is an art room after a calligraphy lesson, then Candles Moon is like a farmer's market stall selling beeswax candles and goat's milk soaps. The wax and milk notes blend beautifully on me with a creamy warmth. I'm getting a very background note of blackberry, but not as much as I'd like. It's sort of a sharp fruity note. Either way, I'm loving this so far.

Edited by ScarletGryphon

This does smell like a finely crafted artisan candle, and it has a long burn time. The beeswax is seriously a trooper. While the scent is wet, I get burst of piney winter breeze, but somebody promptly shuts the window and lights that blackberry scented candle. A perfect snowy evening to curl up with a book and a mug of warm milk. The blackberry is the fresh, tart kind that I enjoy the most. This decant is a keeper!